Grex Advanced video stabilizer vs Video Filter - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 261 Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would say your VHS tapes are not widescreen. I do set the flag myself cause I have both a wide screen TV and also a 4:3 TV. The flag is really for copying like a wide screen DVD that was recorded that way. I read a little about it on Google and mostly says if the flag is set correctly, it causes DVD players to display widescreen programs properly on 4:3 TVs..based on the setting choice for either letterbox or pan and scan. Viewing the display on a widescreen TV displays it as 16:9 properly. I got the impression that if one records a widescreen source and the flag is not set, then this recording will not play properly on a 4:3 display...meaning it would be squeezed instead of letterboxed or pan and scan.

I would think with VHS tapes and 4:3 TVs out of the picture, the flag would not be important. Since I gather it really is important for playback of recorded DVDs on a 4:3 TV so the original widescreen picture copied is displayed correctly on the smaller screen.

Maybe others can explain it better. I set mine cause it is important to me that what I watch on my widescreen TV does fill the screen.

I have copied from my 4:3 TV the SD cable signal of a show to a VHS tape and then I dubbed the tape to a DVD and it displays wide on my wide TV and normal on my smaller screen.
Hope this helps and that I have got the idea right. As I said, maybe others here can explain the widescreen flag purpose better. I learn a lot here myself and am always interested in what others have to day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 261 Old 02-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
I just bought The Sony RDR-GX257 for $54 from Wallmart. com. I can record almost everything but HBO. This unit also have an 1080p comin out 3.1 Hdmi. I love this unit and for the price no camplains
post #243 of 261 Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquitos306 View Post

I just bought The Sony RDR-GX257 for $54 from Wallmart. com. I can record almost everything but HBO. This unit also have an 1080p comin out 3.1 Hdmi. I love this unit and for the price no camplains

Interested me so I checked on it and found really bad reviews, but if it does what you want it to do that's all that counts.
post #244 of 261 Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

AFAIK no anamorphic(horizontally squeezed) commercial VHS tapes were made. VHS tapes that were advertised as widescreen were only letterboxed(black bars on top and bottom) and if you had a 16:9 TV you could zoom the image to fill your screen(with the proper aspect). Zooming a picture degrades the picture quality since you're magnifying any flaws and you're also wasting tape space recording black bars.
Of course it is possible to record a anamorphic image to a VHS tape(just like we do with DVDs that are 4:3 by design) but again like most DVDRs(apparently not your Toshiba) the DVDs will look vertically stretched on a 4:3 TV because of the lack of the WS bit telling your DVD player to letterbox the output. Again AFAIK the WS bit was never part of the VHS standard so everything was letterboxed. I got out of VHS before purchasing a WS TV otherwise I'd probably be recording anamorphic VHS tapes just like I do with DVDs and just like my recorded DVDs anybody I borrowed those tapes to, with a 4:3 TV would see a vertically stretched image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by microladyusa View Post

I would say your VHS tapes are not widescreen. I do set the flag myself cause I have both a wide screen TV and also a 4:3 TV. The flag is really for copying like a wide screen DVD that was recorded that way. I read a little about it on Google and mostly says if the flag is set correctly, it causes DVD players to display widescreen programs properly on 4:3 TVs..based on the setting choice for either letterbox or pan and scan. Viewing the display on a widescreen TV displays it as 16:9 properly. I got the impression that if one records a widescreen source and the flag is not set, then this recording will not play properly on a 4:3 display...meaning it would be squeezed instead of letterboxed or pan and scan.

I would think with VHS tapes and 4:3 TVs out of the picture, the flag would not be important. Since I gather it really is important for playback of recorded DVDs on a 4:3 TV so the original widescreen picture copied is displayed correctly on the smaller screen.

Maybe others can explain it better. I set mine cause it is important to me that what I watch on my widescreen TV does fill the screen.

I have copied from my 4:3 TV the SD cable signal of a show to a VHS tape and then I dubbed the tape to a DVD and it displays wide on my wide TV and normal on my smaller screen.
Hope this helps and that I have got the idea right. As I said, maybe others here can explain the widescreen flag purpose better. I learn a lot here myself and am always interested in what others have to day.

Thx, jjeff and microladyusa . I haven't tried viewing one of my archived exercise tapes on my widescreen tv yet. I guess it didn't occur to me to check it out, b/c I knew I was copying old tapes, and I was looking at them on a box screen. I'll have to go put one of the finalized one into the player by the widescreen, see what it looks like.

Also, thankyou to jjeff for explaining what 'anamorphic' meant. I've seen it referenced on threads on this forum, but didn't know what it meant. I also didn't ask, b/c I figured I'd just concentrate on a few steps at a time, and whatever it meant, I thought it was more advanced that my current project of archiving exercise tapes. I'm happy to know what it means!
post #245 of 261 Old 02-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquitos306 View Post

With no stabilizer at all, marquitos? (If so, that's neat!)
post #246 of 261 Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post

Thx, jjeff and microladyusa . I haven't tried viewing one of my archived exercise tapes on my widescreen tv yet. I guess it didn't occur to me to check it out, b/c I knew I was copying old tapes, and I was looking at them on a box screen. I'll have to go put one of the finalized one into the player by the widescreen, see what it looks like.

Also, thankyou to jjeff for explaining what 'anamorphic' meant. I've seen it referenced on threads on this forum, but didn't know what it meant. I also didn't ask, b/c I figured I'd just concentrate on a few steps at a time, and whatever it meant, I thought it was more advanced that my current project of archiving exercise tapes. I'm happy to know what it means!

I put one of the burned exercise DVDs into my widescreen tv last night to check out what it looked like. Yup, the people were a bit squished. But, those exercise instructors are annoyingly skinny, so the squishing made them look like normal people. LOL !!!
post #247 of 261 Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisny View Post

.... But, those exercise instructors are annoyingly skinny, so the squishing made them look like normal people. LOL !!!

So true, the same thing could be said about 90% of the primetime actresses. Even if the program is 4:3 and I stretch it to 16:9 you'd never know, they just look normal and they say a camera puts on 20 lbs. how would they look in person
post #248 of 261 Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

So true, the same thing could be said about 90% of the primetime actresses. Even if the program is 4:3 and I stretch it to 16:9 you'd never know, they just look normaland they say a camera puts on 20 lbs. how would they look in person

Good question
post #249 of 261 Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post
Wisny, Don't worry about dust or heat...It will not affect the performance of the unit.
The Video Filter draws very little power and you can leave it on all the time. The components used in the design, are very high quality and will not be affected by any of these two factors.
I can agree with this as I accidentally left mine on over a weekend once, and it didn't even feel warm. My Sima on the other hand gets pretty warm after only a couple of hours.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #250 of 261 Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I can agree with this as I accidentally left mine on over a weekend once, and it didn't even feel warm. My Sima on the other hand gets pretty warm after only a couple of hours.

Thanks, Church AV Guy . I just checked mine. I realized I'd forgotten that I'd left it plugged in since I received it a couple weeks ago. So, it's been plugged in for roughly a week? Two weeks? I forget if I got it last week or the week before .... anyway, it's not even a little bit warm to the touch. Nada.
post #251 of 261 Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM

wisny: I have had my Filter plugged in since I got it..over a year ago and it is cool to the touch.

As far as your recordings, I have experimented with setting the video aspect for the TV, as well as my TV remote's zoom button and DVD player zoom and aspect setting...with the purpose of filling the screen and getting rid of bars as much as possible. I do use the 4:3 as well as my 16:9 screen TV. The best seemed to be as far as playing...is for the DVD Player to be set to the wide TV aspect. This showed 16:9 as it should be and if I watched the small screen, this made the DVD fill the screen with the center okay and the sides off.

My experiments were with commercial DVDs...that had full screen, wide screen, enhanced for wide screen. Full had no problem with small or wide screen. a widescreen 1:85:1 DVD will fill the screen without bars but a widescreen 2:35:1 will have bars on either screen and I had to use my Zoom to fill the screen on playback. The numbers I mention are what is written on the DVD jacket. So if I buy a widescreen DVD...I would prefer the 1:85:1.

You might try these buttons (zoom) (wide)..whatever your TVs have and DVD player has on its remote and see if your dubbed DVD can look more normal on one or the other or both tvs. Also, trying the setting of the DVD player's TV aspect to the 16:9 and playing it on both tvs.
post #252 of 261 Old 02-27-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:

wisny: I have had my Filter plugged in since I got it..over a year ago and it is cool to the touch.

As far as your recordings, I have experimented with setting the video aspect for the TV, as well as my TV remote's zoom button and DVD player zoom and aspect setting...with the purpose of filling the screen and getting rid of bars as much as possible. I do use the 4:3 as well as my 16:9 screen TV. The best seemed to be as far as playing...is for the DVD Player to be set to the wide TV aspect. This showed 16:9 as it should be and if I watched the small screen, this made the DVD fill the screen with the center okay and the sides off.

My experiments were with commercial DVDs...that had full screen, wide screen, enhanced for wide screen. Full had no problem with small or wide screen. a widescreen 1:85:1 DVD will fill the screen without bars but a widescreen 2:35:1 will have bars on either screen and I had to use my Zoom to fill the screen on playback. The numbers I mention are what is written on the DVD jacket. So if I buy a widescreen DVD...I would prefer the 1:85:1.

You might try these buttons (zoom) (wide)..whatever your TVs have and DVD player has on its remote and see if your dubbed DVD can look more normal on one or the other or both tvs. Also, trying the setting of the DVD player's TV aspect to the 16:9 and playing it on both tvs.

Thankyou, microladyusa . I agree with all, my Video Filter is still cool to the touch, I haven't unplugged it since I received it.

On the aspect part of your conversation, are you saying this is how you get the picture to show up so that it fills your whole screen, but the people aren't squished?
post #253 of 261 Old 03-01-2011, 01:48 PM

I have not had squished people. My problem has been to get rid of bars as best I can.

You might try setting your DVD player to 4:3 TV aspect and seeing how your DVD disc looks. Also you could try 4:3 Pan and Scan to fill the screen and the final try is 16:9. I would try all 3 on the player to view on your 4:3 TV and see what difference you see on playing the DVDs on that TV.

for the widescreen, again I would try setting the player again and see the difference in all 3 settings to see if any shows unsquished people.

Another thought is to copy from the VHS using the aspect ratio of 4:3. This might produce a recording not squished to begin with and then it should look normal on the small TV and you can stretch it and see what it looks like on the big one.

I don't really know how you have set your recording and TV aspects on your DVD recorder and if you are looking at the small TV doing all this or doing it all using the wide screen TV. Do your original tapes look okay on the small tv? What do they look like if you play the tape on the bigger TV screen? What does your new DVD copy look like on the small TV screen? on the bigger TV screen?
post #254 of 261 Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have current info on where to order the Video Filter from?
post #255 of 261 Old 06-17-2011, 06:51 PM

post #256 of 261 Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

A real interesting thing happened last weekend. My current project is converting my wife's work-out VHS tapes to DVDs. These things have CP of some kind on them because the machine (a Panasonic DMR EH75) won't copy them without a device on the video signal. Well, yesterday I discovered a VHS tape that would not copy even with my trusty Video Filter in line. The other tapes did, but the one would not--tried it twice! I replaced the Video Filter with my Sima, and then the copy worked. I have no explanation. This is the first time such a thing as happened, maybe the first time such a thing has been reported? Well I went back to using the Video filter, and about 20 tapes later, the same thing happened, a tape would not copy using it, but did using the Sima. I can't imagine what might be "special" about those particular tapes. I would have thought that the CP on VHS tapes would be pretty easy to defeat.

With the first tape, it got part way through, maybe 25 minutes or so, then the recorder went into pause mode for most of the remainder of the tape. It seemed to unpause for the closing credits. The recording had an icon that (on page 40 of the EH75 manual) says, "Title that was not recorded due to recording protection (Digital broadcasts, etc.)" The second tape caused the recorder to go into pause immediately. I never checked to see if it would ever unpause by itself.

Weird!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #257 of 261 Old 08-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Interesting...perhaps the creator will respond to this. There is a thread in this forum from 2005 where apparently Panasonics were most likely to be too picky on copying and the creator did do tests and said the Panasonic Units only honors the Copy Always command if the video doesn't have the Macrovision Colorburst phase shift scheme. The AGC Maco protection is handled without a problem by the filter. He did tests with a DMR-ES10. Although it seemed the problem then was DVD to DVD. He was going to see if anything could be done about Panasonics in future revisions of the Filter. I don't know what the result was since mine does work but then I am not using a Panasonic.

Did your filter work to copy other VHS tapes using the Panasonic?
Sometimes I read in forums where members have had problem when they worked with exercise VHS tapes..don't know if they are recorded any differently than other commercial VHS tapes.

From the message you got, it certainly looks as though with these particular tapes, the Panasonic is ignoring the copy flag. I have only read of this happening with Panasonic (in year 2005 posts).

You might try the copy on a machine other than Panasonic and see how the filter handles the same tape on a different player. Interesting to see your Sima came to the rescue here. Will be interested to see other responses you get to this.

Also interesting is the fact that some tapes were okay with the filter but not all of them. Wonder if the ones that were not were from the same company as the ones that did work on the Panasonic.

Definitely...a mystery here....calling all sleuths....
(I would have ended with a picture face but can't find where to pick one out). I see at the bottom that Smilies are enabled..but never saw how to get one.
post #258 of 261 Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

microladyusa

1) Did your filter work to copy other VHS tapes using the Panasonic?
My Video Filter has worked flawlessly until now. I have copied many VHS tapes with no problem. I have made backups of many DVDs, and even UK and Italian region 2 PAL DVDs with no problem. This was the first time EVER that it has not worked for me.

2) You might try the copy on a machine other than Panasonic and see how the filter handles the same tape on a different player.
This sounds like a good plan. I have finished the project, and all 40+ of the tapes are back on my wife's shelf. I am waiting to make the DVDs. The tape contents are all in my recorder on the HDD, and I have to edit out the useless stuff and title them properly. The trick now will be to find the bad tapes again (2 out of 40)

3) Also interesting is the fact that some tapes were okay with the filter but not all of them. Wonder if the ones that were not were from the same company as the ones that did work on the Panasonic.
All the tapes were from the same company, but there is no guarantee that the tapes themselves were made by the same sub-contractor. SOme were in paper sleeves, some in plastic, but that means nothing too.

Luke

post #259 of 261 Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM

I guess a clue to finding the 2 tapes would be...you said the first one was discovered the day before you posted here. Check your HDD drive for what you recorded on that particular date in the area where these files are to see if you get a clue as to the title of the VHS tape. I assume your HDD does post creation file dates...that might be a shorter way to the first tape. And since you mentioned 40 tapes....I think I would be inclined to just check out the first one that hopefully can be found rather quickly...and check it out on another machine. If the tape still has a problem with the VF but not the Sima...there is an answer in that. If the tape and VF do not have a problem...another answer exists. If the tape and VF AND Sima have a problem...well, then...we have created another question, haven't we? (smile).

If the results are that the tape has a problem with the VF but not the Sima....and you said the other tapes had no problem (other than that pesky one later on....) it just might be that those 2 particular tapes were recorded using a different machine than the other tapes, at the manufacturing place, and if so, then there is no answer because you would not know exactly what the different machine was.

It is frustrating to have a piece of equipment work flawlessly and so come to depend on that result...and then have something trip it up for some unknown reason.

Like I said, maybe the creator, Logic Design, has some answer since you could ask why did the Sima work and the VF not work on the same tape. I assume by creating the VF he looked into how other similar devices were created.

Would be interested in your trial on another machine but also do understand if you just say...the heck with it..now that it is done.
And just wonder.........
post #260 of 261 Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll look into it.

Luke

post #261 of 261 Old 09-01-2011, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess a clue to finding the 2 tapes would be...you said the first one was discovered the day before you posted here. Check your HDD drive for what you recorded on that particular date in the area where these files are to see if you get a clue as to the title of the VHS tape. I assume your HDD does post creation file dates...that might be a shorter way to the first tape. And since you mentioned 40 tapes....I think I would be inclined to just check out the first one that hopefully can be found rather quickly...and check it out on another machine. If the tape still has a problem with the VF but not the Sima...there is an answer in that. If the tape and VF do not have a problem...another answer exists. If the tape and VF AND Sima have a problem...well, then...we have created another question, haven't we? (smile).

If the results are that the tape has a problem with the VF but not the Sima....and you said the other tapes had no problem (other than that pesky one later on....) it just might be that those 2 particular tapes were recorded using a different machine than the other tapes, at the manufacturing place, and if so, then there is no answer because you would not know exactly what the different machine was.

It is frustrating to have a piece of equipment work flawlessly and so come to depend on that result...and then have something trip it up for some unknown reason.

Like I said, maybe the creator, Logic Design, has some answer since you could ask why did the Sima work and the VF not work on the same tape. I assume by creating the VF he looked into how other similar devices were created.

Would be interested in your trial on another machine but also do understand if you just say...the heck with it..now that it is done.
And just wonder.........

I eventually found one of the tapes that triggered the CP in my EH75. It is completely consistent in that at exactly 42 minutes into a 60 minute workout, the EH75 stops with a protected content warning message. I ran this through several times, and it stopped at the same spot each time. Ther was nothing noticeable about that spot on the tape. At least not to me. (I m using a second EH75 as a VHS playback machine. Hey, it was convenient...)

Taking your suggestion, I got another VHS playback device, in this case, a JVC combo unit and, SURPRISE, using the Video Filter, I was able to make a copy of the whole tape without incident. I don't know if this is unusual or not, but my EH75 DID stop with a CP error when I used any kind of transport control other than play. If I put the tape into pause, fast play forward, or fast play reverse, the EH75 immediately said the content was copy protected.

So, I wonder what the EH75 playback was doing that allowed the CP to slip through the Video Filter, but only at that exact point, on that tape, and presumably at some precise point on the other tape. There was a very small amount of "tearing" at the bottom of the screen, but I could only see it using the HDMI output, the composite output cropped the image a bit so it was not visable. I didn't check the component or S-Vide outputs.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page