post #91 of 168 Old 09-25-2010, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2020 View Post

Hello Guys

Set out below is a copy of a post I submitted last July. It seems there were one or two requests for info and/or code around Christmas time but I wasn't alerted to them (think email notification was turned off) and have only just signed in for the first time this year.

So post again if anybody needs help on a situation similar to mine and I'll respond.

IM

============================

Copy of post on 12 July 2009

See my posts above in June 2009. I accidentally (re)formatted the 250GB hard drive on my Panasonic DMR-EX85EB thinking I was formatting a DVD-RAM.

The HDD contained 100 hours of treasures that I had not yet watched so after reading worley45 (wade)'s posts in this thread I was inspired to mount a project.

I took the HDD out of the Panny and connected it to my PC (with an IDE to USB adapter cable) and followed Wade's suggestions for using HxD (Hex editor) and HJSplit (file joiner/splitter) to retrieve my treasures and then burn them to DVD. I created a few tools to streamline the process and ended up with 25 DVDs containing all my treasures.

In the meantime, so that I was able to continue using my Panasonic DMR-EX85EB, I bought a replacement Western Digital Caviar WD2500BB 250GB 7200rpm IDE/PATA for £30. Before fitting this into my Panny I copied onto it the first 320KB from the old HDD (Panasonic's proprietary formatting code) and bingo on switching the Panny back on I was welcomed with the information that I had 111 hours of Standard Play recordable capacity.

So my message is that almost anything is possible.

If you want more details of anything described above or if you want a copy of the code to format a replacement 250 KB HDD post here and I'll respond.

im2020

Hi im2020,
Having encountered same problem with my pana, I shall be glad to receive copy of the code as you mentioned above to my mail address. I'm not 100% sure this will work since my apparatus was bought in France but at least I should have tried!

As soon as received, I'll keep you informed of the result

Best regards

Alainl4462
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 168 Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM

Hi

Yes I have the same problem with my EX-75 would like to try the code if you can mail it to me as well? I have a 250GB hard drive, its worth a go before I prob have to fork out for the disc, been a disappointing unit this one, the 81 errors all the time, they seemed to go away and then there were the colours fading in and out on channel 4 (I know there is a firmware fix for it now) and now the HDD has gone and I have lost all my programs.

I dont think I will buy another panny after this unit I know they dont make the hard disc but making the unit so you cant simply but another drive straight in like most other manufacturers is so annoying, hard disc drives always go .

Anyway if you could message me and mail me the code, its worth a try.

Knoxie
post #93 of 168 Old 09-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Hello Alain and Hello Knoxie

I will email you the code but can I just check that when you both say you have the same problem as I had that you're both truly on the same wavelength:

1. You are/will be taking out your original 250GB HDD from your Panny and replacing it with a newly bought 250GB HDD

or, not like me, you have nothing special on your Panny HDD but would like to re-install the firmware to see if it will start working from scratch again.

2. In either case can you confirm you are able, using Worly's original instructions, to connect the new (or removed) HDD to your PC
All you need is a decent hex editor program ( I use HxD ) and a way to connect the the HD to your PC ( An IDE to USB adapter cable is what I use ). It doesn't matter if Windows can't see the drive, a hex editor can retrieve the binary data from any storage device connected to your PC!

If you can't install an IDE drive into your PC, you will need an IDE to USB adapter cable with power supply and ac cord ( available on eBay or websites ).
Go to these websites and download & install :
http://mh-nexus.de/hxd/ HxD 1.7.1.0 beta (Hex editor)

Carefully unplug the ribbon cable and power plug and remove the hard drive from the Panny.
Move the jumper from J48 to J50 ( CS to Master ) and remove the horizontal jumper connecting J44 to J42 ( Maxtor HDs have a diagram on top ). Place jumper and screws in a small zip-loc bag or container where they won't get lost! Romove the two screws near the connecters holding the drive to the metal frame, loosen slightly ( but do not remove ) the two rear screws. Lift the front of the drive just enough so the screw holes are above the frame, then put those screws back in just enough so the screws will rest on top of the frame and hold the drive up at a slight angle ( so you can get the connectors in ). Plug in the power and data connectors, then plug in the power cord. When the drive spins up, plug the USB cable into your PC. Don't let your OS try to format the drive in case it asks for this.

3. If you're set up for this you can use HxD to copy the code I'll send you to the new (or original) HDD before installing/re-installing in your Panny.

Let me know.

Regards

IM
post #94 of 168 Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 AM

Hi Ian

Many thanks for the reply, I checked out the post on the forum, the problem that I have is that the hard disc is not working, clunking all the time the usual sound of hard drive death I have unplugged it and connected it to my PC but the bios wont even see it, I have seen so many hard drives do this.

I have contacted Panasonic and they directed me to the local service centre, they have told me its 20 quid to just look at the unit then whatever the costs are after that! this is ridiculous and if you take the cost of the hard disc in to account and their fee it would almost make more sense to buy another unit.

If you could send me the code that would at least be something that I could try first, my unit is the DMREX-75 not the 85 but I will be running the code on a 250GB drive, it may work it may not but as I already have the drive and I know the drive is good its something that will cost me nothing and no time to at least try before I go ahead and pay through the nose.

Panasonic are sending me the updated firmware disc though? there is a colour shifting problem on channel-4 which you may have seen? they offer a firmware update disc for free for that! just call them and they will send it to you, why cant they offer the hard drive format CD as well? its no different to you swapping out the hard disc in your PC?

Thanks again for offering the code I will let you know if it works.

Thanks

Paul
post #95 of 168 Old 09-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Paul

Download the code from www.im2020.com/Panny/. Unzipped it's a 355MB file called firmware.txt.

Using HxD go to the Extras Tab, Open Disk and Open the Physical Disk that you want to copy the code to. Make sure it's the right one. In the contents the last offset for a 250GB disk should be 1BF08EAFF0. The default for HxD is to Open as ReadOnly so unclick this (when you're sure you're working on the right one).

Open the firmware.txt file and copy and paste the contents to your physical disk starting at Offset 0. The limitations of your clipboard capacity will mean you'll have to copy in 2 blocks, the first, say, from offset 0 to FFFFFFF and the second from 10000000 to 163EDFFF. The Edit, Select Block tab helps you to set these. Finish by double-checking that the contents of 163EDFF0 to 163EDFFF on your physical disk are the same as in firmware.txt then close all files.

Good Luck.
post #96 of 168 Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks so much for doing that! I will try this later when I get home, its worth a try at least.

Knoxie
post #97 of 168 Old 09-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Hey ian!! yep it worked!! your a star thanks so much for the code, I got in from work with the code and the hex editor on my memory stick, quickly installed the hex editor with no problems.

I took your advice and checked that I was selecting the right drive, I did this simply by looking at the amount of sectors that were showing in the hex editor, I used the block select function to select the chunks of data as the clipboard is limited as you said.

I pasted the first lump of code in there and went back and pasted the second block in there, I then checked that they matched each other which they did. I saved the data on to the drive and shut the machine down.

I returned the new 250GB drive to the DMR, i just layed it on the side in case I needed to do it again, I powered up the machine with a little trepidation I must say! the unit said hello, then on screen it said the hard disc was not formatted would I like to format? OK then hit format and away it went.

Bingo! then it came in 74 hours!! so it wont let you use the full 250GB (My unit is a DMR-75) it only formats 160GB but thats not a problem this must be fixed in hardware in the unit, not a problem the hard disc was just what I had laying about anyway.

So pleased it is working, I had no joy with Panasonic they refered me to the local dealer who were going to charge me a 20 quid inspection fee? before they do anything so it would have been at least 100 quid with the drive as they wouldnt fit my drive anyway.

BIG BIG Thanks for taking the time to do this, your code works!! took me about 30 mins to do it, please let me know your paypal e-mail address on e-mail and I will send you a drink for doing this, I suggest anyone else reading this may want to do the same if they also get it working.

I tried everything to get the proper disc but to no avail, this fix cost me nothing and I have got my unit back, after speaking to Panasonic they are also going to send me the new firmware on a disc, this will fix that annoying colour fade problem on channel-4.

The U80 error has also stopped, I think this was because of over the air transmissions affecting the unit, so happy days again.

So if anyone else is trying it follow this post and its pretty easy to do, just make sure that you select the right drive in the hex editor, never assume drive-1 is your c-drive! check the sectors!!

Good luck

Knoxie
post #98 of 168 Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM

I have the same problem with my Panasonic DMR-E85H. Accidently hit the format button thinking I was formating a DVD, but instead did the HDD. I tried to turn it off immediately, but now it says I need to format the HDD. The display shows that I have 55hrs remaining of free space, so it looks like my files are there because thats about right. However they don't show up when I press the Direct Navigator. I am not that computer savvy to go through the steps you did...any suggestions? Do you think a Panasonic service place would know how to do all that? or a computer repair place? HELP! I've lost 7 months of programming!
post #99 of 168 Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Hi All,

simply use ***.diskinternals.com/download/

Linux Recovery 2.7
Freeware Linux Ext2/Ext3 Recovery for Windows!

to recover a DMR-EH65 HD(250GB) connected to Win7 PC System.

Hope this make things easier

BR elfeuz.k
post #100 of 168 Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2020 View Post

Paul

Download the code from . Unzipped it's a 355MB file called firmware.txt.

Using HxD go to the Extras Tab, Open Disk and Open the Physical Disk that you want to copy the code to. Make sure it's the right one. In the contents the last offset for a 250GB disk should be 1BF08EAFF0. The default for HxD is to Open as ReadOnly so unclick this (when you're sure you're working on the right one).

Open the firmware.txt file and copy and paste the contents to your physical disk starting at Offset 0. The limitations of your clipboard capacity will mean you'll have to copy in 2 blocks, the first, say, from offset 0 to FFFFFFF and the second from 10000000 to 163EDFFF. The Edit, Select Block tab helps you to set these. Finish by double-checking that the contents of 163EDFF0 to 163EDFFF on your physical disk are the same as in firmware.txt then close all files.

Good Luck.

Dear IM2020,

Can you please advise if you have same code for Panasonic DMR-EH65.

Thank You,
Kirill
post #101 of 168 Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Thank you everyone for posting up the information and the firmware text. It worked like a charm!
post #102 of 168 Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 AM

Thanks to Stefan and this thread (Stefan inside!)
I recovered accidentaly formated HDD in Panasonic EH-57.
(and save all cam-footages of my little daughter!)
As computer half-illiterate I have a few words for
similar fellows.
(-old Toshiba laptop with XP-)

Don't forget to move jumpers when you connect HDD to PC.
(I used old Icy Box and copied jumper positions from HDD inside),
also -jumpers back when you're finished.
Don't waste your time with numbers of Linux recovery programs!
(Scared of DVR-recover guide and manualy entered prompts,
I tried with 5 Linux recovery programs, and did nothing-
every scan running 3-4 hours,
only Disk Internals made some totaly messed mpgs)

So- DVR-recover was last hope (and real thing!)
Just be patient and read the guide carefuly!
I was stuck at the same beggining:
1. exact copy of HDD?
I used some already installed Linux recovery program
which gave me options of exact or compressed copy.
That's all what I know about it.
2. Python interpreter?
Google didn't help my with that,
so I installed official Python for Windows.
But DVR-recover was dead.
Next, I used Pythons help to prepare it for Windows XP.
The only thing I had to do was setting enviroment variables,
(easy step, but you have to find it in help)
and then command prompt -python- works.

Than read DVR-recover guide and do your work!
It's really easy.
Luckily, I remember few DOS commands from decades ago,
(and use only -cd-)
First I used defaults and go. I get all my movies in mpgs, but...
Lots of short movies missed the beggining.
Than I set min_chunk_size to 1600 and that's it.
From about 200 mpgs just a few long ones was cutted in 2-3 pieces.
And also, all mpgs had excesses only a second or two at the beggining and
the end which was cutted in Panasonic. It seems that Panny cut mpgs
at key-frames like avis, but reads them correctly like they are cutted at frames.
(Sure, I can be totaly wrong)
However, Stefan said that smaller the chunk size, more junk you'll find
and also more completely recover your mpgs.

I was so happy (and proud) about success that it was like a fun
to trim and sort my treasure for a few days.
I used VideoReDo Plus for trimming...

Now, my HDD in Panny is empty, movies are saved
and there's no more making room in last second before
important recording, heh.

So, good luck
post #103 of 168 Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

Based on my understanding, members who ever tried video files recovery from HDD in Panasonic dvd recorders reported success but it involved lots of effort and time.

For those who are not able to recover data from failed Panasonic dvd recorders or do not have time to do it and are willing to pay, I found a link for a company in UK for Panasonic & Pioneer models claiming that they developed software that can read files on HDD and transfer these files to another HDD that would be viewable by PC. Here is the link:

http://www.apextechnology.co.uk/reco...o-recovery.asp

There is also a Czech-Korean company in the Czech Republic that charges between $25-$250 for this type of recovery (depends on the file system used and a conversion currency between USD and CZK).

I know that these HDD files recovery prices are similar to a new dvd recorders, so these services are not for everyone. They can be helpful for people who have valuable recordings (family movies, etc.) on their dvd recorder HDD and really want them to be recovered.
post #104 of 168 Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Good catch on finding this. For some, it just might be worth the cost.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #105 of 168 Old 05-29-2011, 07:28 AM

I have a quick alternative method (to original post by Wade) which restored & recovered my old hdd in another panasonic machine with all the recorded titles showing as normal in the navigator. Done in approx less than 3 mins.

I have spent a total of 4 hours researching the internet today (this afternoon), and was only able to find two worthy solutions.

One was this post by Wade, and the other post is by Violetfi at..(near end of page) at afterdawn(dot)com
I was very impressed by Wade's solution but it is too much for me as I don't know anything about bytes etc. Violetfi also mentions a process in WinHex which I downloaded, but honestly, I have no idea what all those numbers mean and I realised, this was way out of my league, and I got out quickly before I bit off more than I could chew or fix!!!

I was impressed by Violetfi being able to use the one panasonic machine for 3 hdds, and the information he/she provided about the panasonics making a unique code on each hdd, thereby knowing that you have a different hdd in it, requiring reformatting...before using.

I prayed to (the Creator) God, Jesus, for a solution. And this is the idea that I received:
Make the panasonic put it's unique code on the hard drive that you need recovered, that way you'll have access to it, (it does this by formatting) but as soon as it's done that, don't let it have any more access to the hard drive so it can't do the next step and that is to wipe out all recorded titles on it (you do this by removing the power to hard drive). It does this whole process to format and wipe clean in 1 minute, so that means formatting is only going to take seconds.

DISCLAIMER:
Enter at your own risk. I don't know anything about bytes, rams etc. I just followed the answer to my prayer and it worked for me. I am not responsible for what you might lose off your hdd.
Okay here goes...

1) With the machine off, connect the old hdd into the new machine. Make sure it is not fastened down by any screws, and that you have easy access to be able to pull out the power cord from the hdd, QUICKLY. This is not the power cord to the panasonic. It is the power cord to the actual hard drive. If you have a IDE hard drive, it will be the white end cord that attaches to the hard drive.
2) Turn on the Panasonic as usual.
3) When the prompt to format comes up, You will press enter or ok on your remote.
4) And press again to start - BUT be ready to RIP OUT the power cord to the hard drive!!!! I counted about 4 secs...then ripped out the power cord..ONLY!!! Someone suggested to try to remove it as straight as possible. (I think the objective here is SPEED!!).
5) A message prompted - I can't remember what it said. Something about turning off the machine and when it returns to standby mode, restart or something. Follow the instructions on the screen but don't plug the power cord back in yet.
6) When the machine is off (not unplugged from wall - you know like with the timer still on), connect the hard drive power cord. If you are not comfortable with this. unplug all power etc and then connect the hard drive.
7) Connect panasonic in the usual way and turn on machine.
8) It should power up in with the hard drive formatted but all the titles there in the usual looking way. And remote has full access to use it to edit and copy to disc as you were previously able to do.

If this works for you, the thanks & praise goes to my God, Jesus.
post #106 of 168 Old 05-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what page is this in the forum??

MickinCT
post #107 of 168 Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
what page is this in the forum??
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_v.../143317#834940

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_v...143317#2976112

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #108 of 168 Old 05-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
thanks T

MickinCT
post #109 of 168 Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 AM

Sorry, but I wasn't allowed to put links in my post. That was my first post (minimum of 3 posts required before links allowed). Thanks for helping me out on that one.
post #110 of 168 Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM

I encountered a problem with this DVD recorder and needed to recover the videos off the hard drive. Using worley45's method, I wrote a program to search for the VOB pattern from an image of the disk and save them clips as mpg. It definitely beats doing it manually.
post #111 of 168 Old 07-28-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

His link worked for me.

I was very surprised, to say the least, when I read that thread he was pointing us to. It seems that such an HDD replacment procedure is not as simple as with E85, EH50, Eh55, EH75 models *I* am familiar with. It's odd that Panasonic would change their design and put the firmware on the HDD in these machines. It changes the process for replacing the hard drive from trivial, to nearly impossible. Why?

mbslk280, I am very sorry for misleading you in this. I saw your model, EX85EB, and never really mentally processed the "X" in the EX, so I was speaking of a different model completely. All my mind processed was the "85" and that was my mistake. They shouldn't re-use model numbers, it confuses people like me.

I bought some IPOD accessories as a Christmas gift this year, making the HUGE mistake of getting IPOD NANO Gen 4 items, instead of IPOD NANO Gen 5 items. They are incompatible apparently. Well, *I* didn't know!

Hi church Av Guy.

Not sure if you still follow this post. You mension in your post you have experience with EH55 drive replacements, I have the need to replace my EH55 hard drive but not coming right - new firmware running and formatted drive in Windows machine but still not being detected. Not sure what format drive should be. Could you maybe shed some light on the process you know of to replace the drive step by step?

thanks
post #112 of 168 Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 PM

I formatted my hdd on my dmre80h today accidently . Please help, I have been reading this thread today and see some hope . Problem is that I have very little computer knowledge. The only good thing I can think of at this point is that as soon as I realized what I had stupidly done, I unplugged the unit and placed it in a corner. What would you do if you were in my place? I will pay one of you if that"s what it takes. I am located near chicago il. Any possible easy solutions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a couple of friends that are ver computer savvy, but have never attempted this type of recovery. Thanks in advance . joe
post #113 of 168 Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM

Members here usually try to restore files from HDD when HDD suddenly fails in the dvd recorder. I am not sure whether their techniques are applicable to a situation when HDD is accidently formatted.

You can find one of my previous posts (look above) for companies who specialize in files recovery from failed HDD; there is a link to a company in UK that does it. You might try to contact them to find out if their services is applicable for your situation and start there. Be aware that these services are usually expensive, so you need to know how valuable are your recordings and how much you are willing to pay for their recovery.
post #114 of 168 Old 08-17-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post

I formatted my hdd on my dmre80h today accidently . Please help, I have been reading this thread today and see some hope . Problem is that I have very little computer knowledge. The only good thing I can think of at this point is that as soon as I realized what I had stupidly done, I unplugged the unit and placed it in a corner. What would you do if you were in my place? I will pay one of you if that"s what it takes. I am located near chicago il. Any possible easy solutions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a couple of friends that are ver computer savvy, but have never attempted this type of recovery. Thanks in advance . joe

You should be fine, just don't use the unit and pull out the HDD. Panasonic DVDR formatting is generally a 'quick format' where only the MFT (or whatever it's called that lists where the files are located) is erased and the data itself is not touched- so it's all still on there. Same thing happened to me when I needed to have PCB in my DMR-EH75V replaced after it was broken in shipping, they had to reformat the HDD when the unit was first booted up. You'll need a spare HDD of roughly 2x the size of the original to move files around. What you'll get is a bunch of .mpg files that you can then author with a DVD program and burn to a disc. Not quite as easy as using the unit, but at least you'll have the data. I think others have posted they were able to image the HDD and re-install it in the unit and have the unit recognize all the recordings as normal, but I didn't try that. I can assure you that you do not want to use those file recovery programs. They work, but will not accomplish what you want. They'll give you the small chunks that make up your normal program (as one continuous program may be spread out over multiple parts of the HDD), sometimes mashing up two different programs within one file. Use the instructions posted in the links listed in this message. If you still can't get it, PM me.
post #115 of 168 Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoj View Post

Members here usually try to restore files from HDD when HDD suddenly fails in the dvd recorder. I am not sure whether their techniques are applicable to a situation when HDD is accidently formatted.

Yes, they are applicable. I just used Stefan Haller's excellent dvr-recover program to recover of the titles (200+ hours) after an accidental HDD format. Sure, it requires knowledge of Linux and the ability to take apart a computer. But it's better than nothing!

As a newbie I can't post the link for "dvr-recover" so Google it.

P.S. Stefan, you the Man!
post #116 of 168 Old 08-21-2011, 03:21 PM

Could you possibly reach me at 847 254 7130 ? Thanks so much for the hope I have been looking for. Joe
post #117 of 168 Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
There is now someone (here?) on eBay selling a service to restore videos from a Panasonic DVD Recorder hard drive, starting at $200.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #118 of 168 Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 AM

Hi there,

Even after so many years these theme is still actual. I'd like to rescue the data from my 250 GB HD in DMR-EH67. (Some electronic fault).

Could I get the instructions how to make it? Some script for the PC is availlable? Thank you to any master of this matter. In fact, I am thinking how to change the 160 GB HD in the DMR-EH57 with this 250 GB from DMR-EH67.

Filijako
post #119 of 168 Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Hello all proud users of these good old Pnasonic DVR's :-)

I have a Panasonic DMR-E500H digital recorder.
Even though this unit does not record in HD, I still enjoy using it. It worked for my for many years without any problems and even though I stopped using it last couple of years, I’d like to use it now to record (digitize) hundreds of VHS family tapes.

Currently I have the hard drive almost full of various older TV shows which I would like to copy to my personal computer hard drive to free up some space for recording family VHS tapes. I’m expecting not all my tapes will fit on this hard drive, so after it gets full, once again I’d like to off load it to my personal computer hard drive. Eventually I’d like to keep all my recordings either on my personal computer hard drive or copy them to an external USB drive.

Anyway, this Panasonic has a 400 GB drive. There is also a LAN connection. When connected to my home network it can only be used to view the recorded show titles as well as rename them if needed. Nothing else can this LAN connection be used for.
I’d like to find a way to either using that LAN connection somehow copy the recorded video files to my personal computer hard drive OR connect Panasonic’s hard drive directly to my computer and copy the files.

So far I was not able to find an asnswer to either solution.

I have removed the hard drive and connected it to my personal computer (purchased IDE to USB connector). Using that method the drive does not show in Windows Explorer. However it does show up in my Device Manager under Disk Drives as follows:
Hitachi HTS72404 0KLAT80 USB Device

Reading many posts on this and other sites I came to believe that I will need some kind of Linux utility to digest this drive. I installed DiskInternals Linux Reader 1.6.4.0. The reader does recognize the drive, but it is not able to access it.
“Can’t Open Disk: 0KLAT80 Check the disk and try again”
The log file states that “File system is not supported”

Could someone help me figure out what is the easiest way to copy the recorder video files to either Windows or MacOX system? I would like to avoid burning many DVDs, would prefer to keep my files on a separate hard drive. Yes, I can hook up my VCR to my personal computer and copy my VHS tapes using an analog to digital converter, but Panasonic unit is so nice and simple to use that I could have my 72 year old dad also do some recording for me without the use of personal computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jerry.
post #120 of 168 Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 AM

Hi Ian
Your advice is the most helpful yet, but unfortunatey your file does not open as reams of code, just a small number of symbols. The file unzips to the correct size but takes ages to open in notepad.
Could I ask please for advice?
Also, what format should the replacement hard disc be in before pasting in the code? I gather it doesn't matter what capacity the disc is, as long as it's more than 180Gb.
Finally, just to check - my machine is a DMR-EX75EB-S. Does your code work for that one?
Sorry to trouble you, and thanks very much.
Nigel
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page