Panasonic DMR hard drive data recovery - It CAN be done!! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 161 Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry to say that the eh55 and eh75 drives can not be done this way tried many many times, no luck.

MickinCT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 82

Those instructions seem to have been written prior to the EH-55/75v models, Panasonic must have changed something in later models :(

post #153 of 161 Old 04-19-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Like others before me, finding this thread was an answer to my prayers. After my much loved and much used 10 year-old Panasonic DMR-E85H recorder became stuck in an endless "Please Wait..." loop, and being told by the repair technician that it needed a full drive replacement and that there was no way to get anything off of my 120GB (really 111GB) HDD, I was sick. Then I found this thread and suddenly there was hope that I could still get my lost recordings.

Reading through the various posts it seemed a daunting task at first, particularly when it looked like I’d need to gather up and work with Hexadecimal codes, but then as I continued to read through more posts by posters like worley45, im2020, and 0x1BBE898 it looked much easier than expected. A huge thanks to all who contributed to creating a process to salvage our HDDs. Absolutely brilliant!

I followed the instructions in the post by PC7211, and was able to get a full image of my HDD. I installed and ran the python scripts and everything was going smoothly until I hit a snafu during the final export process.

It exported the first 93 files which totaled up to 11GB (I have a lot of short segments and interview clips from various programs), before the script spit out the following errors and stopped running:

Exporting file #94
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1161, in
Main().run()
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1152, in run
func()
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1127, in export
export_file(chunk, index)
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1117, in export_file
export_chunk(reader, outf, chunk, 1)
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1101, in export_chunk
speed = float(chunk.block_size) / float(delta)
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

I’m really hoping someone can tell me what I can do to get over this hurdle and have the script run successfully so that it can hopefully export the remaining 100GB.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #154 of 161 Old 04-19-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
YOUR machine is repairable, send me a PM for more info.

MickinCT
post #155 of 161 Old 04-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

YOUR machine is repairable, send me a PM for more info.

Really? Man, I wish I'd known about this a few weeks back. I've already gotten replacements for my recording needs, so at this point my main goal is to just hopefully get the content of my HDD copied over. Still, I'm intrigued so will follow-up with a PM.

I decided to try the process over again, this time with min_chunk_size set to something higher than 0, hoping this might make the script ignore what looks to be a problematic spot. Unfortunately, 6 hours later I got the same error at the same spot (after copying 11.7GB of data - first attempt got 11.6GB). The only slight difference was in the number of files created (71 instead of 93).

Here's what it spit up when it stopped running:

Exporting file #71
Part #1: 0.03s (7741.96 blocks/s; 15.12 MiB/s).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1161, in
Main().run()
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1152, in run
func()
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1127, in export
export_file(chunk, index)
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1117, in export_file
export_chunk(reader, outf, chunk, 1)
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1109, in export_chunk
export_chunk(reader, outf, chunk2, part+1)
File "dvr-recover.py", line 1101, in export_chunk
speed = float(chunk.block_size) / float(delta)
ZeroDivisionError: float division by zero

I can't help thinking that if the script could just skip over this file/section on the HDD, it would keep going and copy over the rest. I saw that the author of dvr-recover had a contact email in the readme file, so I'm hoping he may have a solution, or someone else who sees this will.

Keeping my fingers crossed...
post #156 of 161 Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM

UPDATE: I've made a little progress, in that I was able to create a script to run the export command on each block one by one.

The answer to how to do this was in the readme file:

"You can also specify a chunk id to export. In this example the script would export only the chunk with the id 4 (including the chunks which should be concatenated to this one)."
python dvr-recover.py export 4

I'm not sure how I missed it, but taking this into account I created a DOS batch file called finish.bat containing one line for each of the remaining chunks:

python dvr-recover.py export 72
python dvr-recover.py export 73
python dvr-recover.py export 74
python dvr-recover.py export 75
etc...

I then ran it using the following command which put all the output messaging text (including error messages - so I could check if any failed) to a log file:

finish 1> log.txt 2>&1

Once it was complete I got a total of 1598 files and 172 GB of data recovered. This had me scratching my head since my HDD is only 111 GB. Going through the files, I spotted more than a few duplicates (some full, some partial), so it's hard to tell how much I truly got extracted.

When I started putting the pieces together on a bunch of hour-long programs, I noticed something even stranger and more troubling. All of them only had the first 20 minutes or so. Some of them were split up into multiple files, and a couple were single files, but they're all missing the last 38-42 minutes!

The log.txt file had a full rundown of what transpired so I was able to check if any other blocks had the same ZeroDivisionError that # 71 did. All told there were 110 exports that failed due to this same error, which I can only assume is a bug in the script.

Anyway, I'm still hoping to hear back from the author of the script, or someone else who may have an idea how to fix this bug or at least offer an explanation as to why I'm getting these ZeroDivisionErrors when no one else who previously used it did...

Thanks.
post #157 of 161 Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 PM

Liked: 0
Hi,
I have Panasonic DMR-HWT130. I've tried the Python script method but no chunks are found. Anyone had any success with this format of Panasonic drive or ideas as to how to change parameters, script etc
post #158 of 161 Old 07-16-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Looks like that one is a HDD only recorder and HD at that. Are your programmes HD or just SD? The format may be different depending and even SD may be in a different format than the DVD standard MPEG2 this thread deals with,
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DM.../dp/B00BYUGN74
post #159 of 161 Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Looks like that one is a HDD only recorder and HD at that. Are your programmes HD or just SD? The format may be different depending and even SD may be in a different format than the DVD standard MPEG2 this thread deals with,
It is probably recording the digital transport stream and not encoding at all. But wow, look at this from the description in the link you post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by
DLNA Server and Client

Not only can the recorder act as a DLNA client letting you enjoy music, videos or digital photos from a Windows 7 (or above) PC for example, but it can also be a DLNA server that streams recordings from its internal hard disc drive to other DLNA devices in the home, such as a networked Panasonic Blu-ray player or TV. Recorded TV programmes*, HD video content or digital photos, saved on this model's hard disk drive, can also be accessed and enjoyed over your home network. *Some TV programmes may be restricted for copy protection purposes.
Multi-room Streaming of Live Broadcasts

It is possible to watch broadcasted TV programmes live in any room of the house that is equipped with a DLNA compatible TV or Blu-ray player on your home network. Access to the recorder's twin tuner is possible meaning that you can select a TV channel to view while someone else is watching a different channel.
Holy Crap, that is an unbelievable recorder. It's a server allowing multi-room viewing (MRV) of your recordings to any DLNA client -- just about every smart TV, Blu-Ray player and media streamer you can buy today is a DLNA client. It also shares its tuners. That is MRV TiVo-style without having to buy a $250 TiVo Mini. Screw the clear QAM, all they need to do is put dual ATSC tuners in it and sell it in the US for a price close to $285 to match the UK price (£164.82) -- it would bury the DVR+ in a heartbeat.

Why not here?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 07-16-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #160 of 161 Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
The DMR-HWT130 works by moving recorded programs from its own internal HDD to an external USB connected HDD. You can move programs from HDD to USB HDD and back the other way.

I've recorded in HD and SD, for the purposes of this test I've moved a few SD recorded programs from the internal HDD to the USB HDD, made an .img copy of the USB HDD and ran the python scripts against the .img file. The scripts run to completion put don't seem to find anything. I've put a few "print" commands in to check where the script looks for the relevant hex codes for the MPEG headers and it looks like it finds the header code but not any subsequent matching "bits"
post #161 of 161 Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Day View Post
Just wanted to add my thanks to seeto and braincon for suggestions on getting a Panny HDD to work in a different machine.

My DMR-EX85 suffered the U81 fault and, over-estimating my skills at electronics repairs, I trashed the main board attempting to undertake the repair. (Hint - if in doubt, there are people on Ebay who will do it for you pretty cheap!) I knew a friend had the same machine sitting idle and they were willing to sell it to me cheap. I then wanted to get the HDD from my old machine into the working machine. I was disappointed but not too surprised to get the "format" request. I was about to give up on all my old recordings (including camcorder footage that's a real grind to copy from tape) when I spotted seeto's and braincon's posts. Nothing to lose, so I took the seeto approach. After a few failed attempts I concluded that I needed to get as far as the machine actually starting the "format" i.e. don't power down the drive after the first "OK" - I had to go past the "are you really sure?" question. Scary! I then pulled the power to the HDD as fast as I could - less than a second I'd guess. Voila - next time I powered it up, no "format" question and all the old recordings are still there. Now, where's my stack of blank DVDs...

Caveat - anyone trying to replicate this does so entirely at their own risk! And don't even think about getting that HDD power connector off the EX85 without unclipping & removing the front cover (there's nothing wired to it, so it's easy to remove).
I can 100% verify that this works for swapping HDD between DMR-EH55. I powered up the DVR, it booted up to display "UNFORMATTED" on the LCD and asked me to press ok to format. I pressed ok, and as soon as the screen started to change, I unplugged power to the HDD, then unplugged the DVR. Once I plugged everything back in and powered on it was ready to use with all my recordings in place. I did this consecutively on two machines and each time it only took one attempt.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page