Toshiba D-R410 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 229 Old 03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
klk
Member
 
klk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: McLean VA
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolitmo View Post

Hello I am a new D-R410 owner and was able to connect and record but having problem with volume. I am not sure if this has been answered yet and I thought I went thru all the threads did not see anybody having a problem. The recorder is connected via hdmi to my sony lcd and audio (i think) is connected to my dvr. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have the same issue - The volume is significantly lower when playing/recording DVDs than when my TV input is set for my cable box. FWIW, input to DR410 is RCA (from cable box). Output is HDMI to TV. Cable Box Output to TV is also HDMI. I switched the HDMI cables, no change. Which makes me think it is the RCA input on the DR410.
klk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 229 Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joed32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkvarner43 View Post

How does this unit perform upconverting?

Not very well for me. I have a Philips $40 unit that I use for dubbing and it does a better job.
I only spent an hour or so playing with it so maybe I'm setting something wrong. If anyone is getting a good PQ they can chime in and help.
It is a nice recorder if you're going to record 2 hours or less. Wish it had 2.5 and 3 hr. speeds though. I do like to record with it.
joed32 is offline  
post #183 of 229 Old 03-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Geoff L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok brand new to the DVD recorder spectrum, so beat me up softly.

I picked up a class A refurbed Toshiba D-R400 for 40.00. Dose appear basically brand new and even came with a cheapish HDMI cable. I have read the D-R400's manual extensively, well both of them that came with the unit, so understand how to hook it up, how it works and how to operate it so no questions in that department.

Where I'm green is:
****************
I have never burned anything on PC or recorded anything to a DVD-recorder in my life. I know that I need to use DVD-RW's or DVD-R's to record 16.9 material off my cable box. I am well versed in audio hook up/wiring up, so I have no problems in that department.

My question is where to buy good DVD-RW's for this thing either from a local store or on-line.????

I ask this because the manual has some specific brands to use and while I'm sure these "should work" I doubt they are the only brands that do.

Tonight I picked up a 15 pack of Memorex DVD-R's 16x/4.7GB and tho the Toshiba manual mentions using this exact brand, not one would record. They all would load and start to try and record (red dot on screen) for about 5 to 8 seconds, then came up a red boxed screen saying cannot record to this disc.

The D-R400 (DID show that a -R disc was loaded) and the pass threw cable signal, both audio & video picture was on my TV screen.

Did I just get a bad batch of Memorex DVD-R's or just what.???

The D-R400 plays all my factory movie discs just fine via HDMI out and seems to be working properly while playing movies and setting everything up for recording & playing but would not record anything. It just continued to show the pop up screen 5 to 8 seconds after recording started, (cannot record to this disc) on every one of the discs I tried out of this pack.

There was nothing else available to try for discs in town ~{due to me living in a very small town and never needing DVD-R's or DVD-RW's before. There is Super Walmart 10 miles away and will pick up some -RW's & R's from their to try with your recomendations.

Based on what I just read here, clearly you can get bad recordable Media/discs, but how the h*ll dose one know there bad before trying them out.????
No identifier tag thingy on the package or inside unless it's something I plain missed and i looked carfully.

Thanks
Geoff



Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

I know I'll get laughed at, but I've had no problems with memorex DVD-R's. I haven't tried anything else, I see no reason since what I get works fine. I know everyone raves about Verbatims, but only certain batches and my luck I would get a 50 spindle home and pull the identifier tag off the disc and see that it is the crappy one. Now I have 50 discs that are not any better than what I use now.

Geoff L is offline  
post #184 of 229 Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
My first spindle of DVDs was a 15 pack of Maxell -RWs from Walmart(sometime in '05). I think they were $12.99. I still have all but one which started skipping last year so I threw it away. I think they're currently about the same price.
If you belong and have a Sams club near you they sell a larger (I think 30) spindle of Verbatims for ~$25. Verbs are generally considered among the best RW discs.
Since you have a Funai made DVDR you may also want to check into the + format, I have Panasonics so I've kind of settled on the - format. Since you've never used a DVDR before you probably want to start out with RW discs. You can do test recordings and then all you have to do is reformat the discs and they'll be like new. Once you record to R discs you cannot record over what you've already recorded.
Unfortunately one of the most common discs, Memorex, is generally considered the poorest quality and most inconsistent. Before blaming your recorder I'd try another more reliable brand and hopefully they'll work for you.
I don't buy discs online but there is a thread at AVS called "media deals this week" that occasionally mentions online deals although mainly on R discs, not as much on RWs.
jjeff is offline  
post #185 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Geoff L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope no Sams card but do have a Costco. But the stores are over 50-miles away...

Today I made it to Walmart and picked up both -RW's & -R Maxells, 14.99 a spindle. Along with those I grabed some different cheap Memorex -R's. Reason for wanting to use -RW or -R's is all my recording will be 16.9 stuff, NO 4.3. According to the manual these are the only ones you can record 16.9 on too.

I can't justify driving 100-miles round trip to pick up some Verbatim DVD-RW or R's. The d*amn thing should have worked with one of these disc I have to assume.

I will call Toshiba tomorrow as every single disc is reconized, will load and in the the case of RW's format also, but will NOT record. Red record dot comes up and about 2-4 seconds later I get the screen with,,, can not record to this disc. I either have somthing set wrong, not likely as the manual is burnt into my mind and also have been in to audio for 35-years, or I just plain got a D-R400 with a recording bug problem.

I have 2 days left to get confirmation from Toshiba's Tech Help that my unit has a real problem or I'm screwed into likely having to send it to Toshiba for repair.

The Ebay seller will replace it (according to his add), if defective with in 7-days and he might not want to repalce it as it is not totally defective in his eyes, and might/could as I mentioned, tell me I'll have to send it to Toshiba for repair. The seller is an authorized Toshiba seller of Toshi new & refurbs and it dose have/carry a 90-day warranty.

He has also sold like 30+ of these refurbed D-R400's in the last 45-days with those posting feedback having nothing bad to say about him or the D-R400 they bought. He's a power seller & has over 18000 sales with a 99.9% rating.

Another Power seller has been selling these also but, he's had a couple bad units go out and he's authorized also. His rating was lower at 98% with fewer total items sold, so obviously I chose to buy from the one selling the most and not having anyone posting negative feedback that they got a defective or messed up one.

Just a bit frustrated right now as I'm about 99.9% sure it's the unit and not something I set up wrong inside the player. The cheap 100 page paper manual is about trashed, well not really but thats how much time I spent with it due to me trying to make absolute sure I did not set up or do something wrong when trying to record...

As far as it's up-convert abilitys I'm really not to impressed on (my) XVT47" anyway, my cheap Sony up-convert NS700 kicks it's butt in this area. Get the best/cleanest picture out of the Toshiba at 720P & 1080i compared to the Sony's best picture coming from 1080p. Mileage will vary with differnt HDTV sets & up-convert players, so this is just my experience with these two up-convert players. The Sony player not a DVR, looks so good only excellent BlueRay discs look better. I'm still in shock (even months later) how good this cheap ass Sony looks on (my) 1080p HDTV set...

I don't know, maybe I should just wait a spend more for the new 420, or buy a Toshiba 560 with the Digi/Qam/Analog tuner built in from Amazon. It's down to like 180.00 I belive. Maybe less at other places, did not look around. Or just go to a different brand all together, those Pannys are not so cheap..

I'm sure true 5.1/7.1 HD recorders are not that far away if not already here some where.. The many different copy right issues is likely the hold up not the ability to record true HD. Ok now I'm speaking to stuff I know little to nothing about so better cap this post here...

Thanks for letting me know what you use Media wise and what is considered the best for most units. Also the Media link/thread been their already checking it out but appreciate it anyway.

Cheers
MI. Geoff
Adrenalin audio



Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My first spindle of DVDs was a 15 pack of Maxell -RWs from Walmart(sometime in '05). I think they were $12.99. I still have all but one which started skipping last year so I threw it away. I think they're currently about the same price.

If you belong and have a Sams club near you they sell a larger (I think 30) spindle of Verbatims for ~$25. Verbs are generally considered among the best RW discs.

Since you have a Funai made DVDR you may also want to check into the + format, I have Panasonics so I've kind of settled on the - format. Since you've never used a DVDR before you probably want to start out with RW discs. You can do test recordings and then all you have to do is reformat the discs and they'll be like new. Once you record to R discs you cannot record over what you've already recorded.
Unfortunately one of the most common discs, Memorex, is generally considered the poorest quality and most inconsistent. Before blaming your recorder I'd try another more reliable brand and hopefully they'll work for you.

I don't buy discs online but there is a thread at AVS called "media deals this week" that occasionally mentions online deals although mainly on R discs, not as much on RWs.

Geoff L is offline  
post #186 of 229 Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff L View Post

I can't justify driving 100-miles round trip to pick up some Verbatim DVD-RW or R's.

That's what the internet's for.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #187 of 229 Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Member
 
spider12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Westford, MA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sometimes I just record a single hourlong show on the highest quality so it uses the whole disk. Is there a setting so that when I insert the disk, I don't have to go to the menu at all, but it just starts playing the video directly? Thanks.
spider12 is offline  
post #188 of 229 Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Newbie
 
shrade31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

picked this up over the weekend. i'm surprised nobody has posted about this new model yet. i've burned a good dozen discs, both -r and +r, and have not had a single problem. for the price, this thing is outstanding thus far.

I had the Best Buy Geek Squad come out and hook up a new home theater system. Now months later, I have tried to DVD record off of cable feed and am unable.
Cable box to TV is HDMI
DVD to TV is HDMI
DVD to Surround system is RCA cables.
I do not see anything feeding TV into DVD, so this could be the problem.
DVD timer appears to show the DVD is recording, however, when I replay the recording, I only get a blue screen once the input is switched from cable to DVD.
DVD plays standard movies fine. Is there supposed to be a cable from TV out to DVD video in?? Thanks
shrade31 is offline  
post #189 of 229 Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrade31 View Post

I had the Best Buy Geek Squad come out and hook up a new home theater system. Now months later, I have tried to DVD record off of cable feed and am unable.
Cable box to TV is HDMI
DVD to TV is HDMI
DVD to Surround system is RCA cables.
I do not see anything feeding TV into DVD, so this could be the problem.
DVD timer appears to show the DVD is recording, however, when I replay the recording, I only get a blue screen once the input is switched from cable to DVD.
DVD plays standard movies fine. Is there supposed to be a cable from TV out to DVD video in?? Thanks

You need to connect a cable box output to a DVD recorder input and record from that input.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #190 of 229 Old 04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
philherz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought one of these about a year ago and I've been totally satisfied with it.

Although the +/- RWs I make reliably play on almost all DVD players, they are pretty hit and miss on my aunt's cheapo player.

(I took a +RW copy of Oceans 13 and it worked about every other try....10 attempts in all....said "no disk" half the time, played perfect the others....crazy!)

QUESTION: Is an inexpensive Toshiba player any more likely to play disks produced on my R410 than any other inexpensive player???

Any recommendations???

DirecTV Amherst, NY
philherz is offline  
post #191 of 229 Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by philherz View Post

I bought one of these about a year ago and I've been totally satisfied with it.

Although the +/- RWs I make reliably play on almost all DVD players, they are pretty hit and miss on my aunt's cheapo player.

(I took a +RW copy of Oceans 13 and it worked about every other try....10 attempts in all....said "no disk" half the time, played perfect the others....crazy!)

QUESTION: Is an inexpensive Toshiba player any more likely to play disks produced on my R410 than any other inexpensive player???

Any recommendations???

The DVD "-" format was designed to be functionally similar to commerically manufactured DVDs. The DVD Forum, a consortium of manufacturers, first recognized the "+" format on 25 January 2008.

Many older DVD players predate the introduction of "+" media into the marketplace around 2004.

Some brands were slow to produce products supporting "+" media. This involved new licensing and royalty payments, product redesign, manufacture and marketing.

Toshiba was one of the last brands to support "+" media. One of my friends purchased one of the last Toshiba "-" only machines in 2006. I believe that Toshiba models supporting "+" media first entered the marketplace sometime during 2007.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #192 of 229 Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Newbie
 
koolitmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What do you mean by volume issues? Low, nothing, distorted etc.
I take it you have a S-video or composite video cable going from your DVR to your 410 and also L&R audio cables?

Jjeff, my problem is during playback, audio is very low. I have to increase the volume from my tv to be able to hear. What do you think I am doing wrong as far as connection is concern? And yes I have a S-video or composite video cable going from your DVR to your 410 and also L&R audio cables.
koolitmo is offline  
post #193 of 229 Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Just a WAG but does your TV have volume offset adjustments for each input?
Many newer TVs allow you fine tune the audio level for each input. It's something like +- 5 or 10 points in volume. If somehow the offset was say -5 or -10 for the input you're using for your DVDR. Otherwise it sounds like others (at least KLK) are noting a similar low audio output. Maybe it's a problem with some 410's?
jjeff is offline  
post #194 of 229 Old 04-23-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
wajo is offline  
post #195 of 229 Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,087
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff L View Post

Nope no Sams card but do have a Costco. But the stores are over 50-miles away...

Today I made it to Walmart and picked up both -RW's & -R Maxells, 14.99 a spindle. Along with those I grabed some different cheap Memorex -R's. Reason for wanting to use -RW or -R's is all my recording will be 16.9 stuff, NO 4.3. According to the manual these are the only ones you can record 16.9 on too.

I can't justify driving 100-miles round trip to pick up some Verbatim DVD-RW or R's. The d*amn thing should have worked with one of these disc I have to assume.

I will call Toshiba tomorrow as every single disc is reconized, will load and in the the case of RW's format also, but will NOT record. Red record dot comes up and about 2-4 seconds later I get the screen with,,, can not record to this disc. I either have somthing set wrong, not likely as the manual is burnt into my mind and also have been in to audio for 35-years, or I just plain got a D-R400 with a recording bug problem.

I have 2 days left to get confirmation from Toshiba's Tech Help that my unit has a real problem or I'm screwed into likely having to send it to Toshiba for repair.

The Ebay seller will replace it (according to his add), if defective with in 7-days and he might not want to repalce it as it is not totally defective in his eyes, and might/could as I mentioned, tell me I'll have to send it to Toshiba for repair. The seller is an authorized Toshiba seller of Toshi new & refurbs and it dose have/carry a 90-day warranty.

He has also sold like 30+ of these refurbed D-R400's in the last 45-days with those posting feedback having nothing bad to say about him or the D-R400 they bought. He's a power seller & has over 18000 sales with a 99.9% rating.

Another Power seller has been selling these also but, he's had a couple bad units go out and he's authorized also. His rating was lower at 98% with fewer total items sold, so obviously I chose to buy from the one selling the most and not having anyone posting negative feedback that they got a defective or messed up one.

Just a bit frustrated right now as I'm about 99.9% sure it's the unit and not something I set up wrong inside the player. The cheap 100 page paper manual is about trashed, well not really but thats how much time I spent with it due to me trying to make absolute sure I did not set up or do something wrong when trying to record...

As far as it's up-convert abilitys I'm really not to impressed on (my) XVT47" anyway, my cheap Sony up-convert NS700 kicks it's butt in this area. Get the best/cleanest picture out of the Toshiba at 720P & 1080i compared to the Sony's best picture coming from 1080p. Mileage will vary with differnt HDTV sets & up-convert players, so this is just my experience with these two up-convert players. The Sony player not a DVR, looks so good only excellent BlueRay discs look better. I'm still in shock (even months later) how good this cheap ass Sony looks on (my) 1080p HDTV set...

I don't know, maybe I should just wait a spend more for the new 420, or buy a Toshiba 560 with the Digi/Qam/Analog tuner built in from Amazon. It's down to like 180.00 I belive. Maybe less at other places, did not look around. Or just go to a different brand all together, those Pannys are not so cheap..

I'm sure true 5.1/7.1 HD recorders are not that far away if not already here some where.. The many different copy right issues is likely the hold up not the ability to record true HD. Ok now I'm speaking to stuff I know little to nothing about so better cap this post here...

Thanks for letting me know what you use Media wise and what is considered the best for most units. Also the Media link/thread been their already checking it out but appreciate it anyway.

Cheers
MI. Geoff
Adrenalin audio

Not sure if you ever solved your problem, but I have purchased several of these R400's/Kr10's and for $40 it's a steal. They're basic, but nice machines.

Unfortunately, the world of DVD-R's is hit or miss with almost all brands as they can change their supplier's and quality at the drop of a hat. You *really* should use the net and get your stock from an online source where you have more choices.

Also, buy the slower speed disks if you can as they are generally more reliable, that is get 8x not 16x. I use Taiyo Yuden disks and have had very good luck with them. I use the "value brand" TY's for general stuff and "premium" for important things. Other than that, it's trial and error as to what works with one machine or the other as far as recording. Playback is less of an issue.

Search through the media deals thread and you'll get an idea. I have lots of DVR's and I had to resort to keeping a sticky note in my stock DVD-R's like "works on HX900, works w/R-400, NOT XS-35" and so forth. It's a pain, but there's nothing for it.

It's a major reason that a lot of people got turned off to DVD recorders early on. But hang in there. Once you find the brands that work and these problems go away, you'll be a happy camper.

Good luck!
bron is offline  
post #196 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Member
 
movieman000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Toshiba 410 and when recording HD channels to the SD dvd, or just the pass thru signal itself, the image displays bars on top and bottom, and squeezes the pic.

Setup as follows:

Motorola HD DVR - svideo and rca to the toshiba - component to the monitor from the toshiba

I have a direct hdmi to the monitor on a separate input from the motorola, and all hd channels display fine.

Just trying to offload and archive some hd channels to dvd. Toshiba screen settings are set to auto and 16-9 and the motorola is 16-9.

Is it possible to not get the upper and lower bars with the letterboxed pic when recording or watching an hd signal thru the dvd recorder, or do I have some connections messed up?

Thanks for any help or responses...
movieman000 is offline  
post #197 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Not possible with a Motorola box... they letterbox all output via Composite or S-Video.

Some external filters can maintain/transfer WS from the box's Component output to a Composite or S-Vid output for recording on your DVDR, as described here.
wajo is offline  
post #198 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Member
 
movieman000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
many thanks
movieman000 is offline  
post #199 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Not possible with a Motorola box... they letterbox all output via Composite or S-Video.

Some external filters can maintain/transfer WS from the box's Component output to a Composite or S-Vid output for recording on your DVDR, as described here.

Wajo,

Getting off topic here, but have you seen any reports of whether U-verse does WS?
mdavej is offline  
post #200 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Wajo,

Getting off topic here, but have you seen any reports of whether U-verse does WS?

I ran across these forum posts that started in 2007 and continued into Oct 2008 that say it will record WS, but you have to set the box for SD or WS SD. It also says if you've got the box set for 720p or 1080i, no output from the yellow video connector (I assume S-Vid also?), so it's apparently a matter of setting the Aspect properly for recording to DVD and for watching on your HDTV?

See 2nd and last posts here by rbinck.

Of course, there may be some later stuff out there?
wajo is offline  
post #201 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Wajo,

Getting off topic here, but have you seen any reports of whether U-verse does WS?

The consensus is that U-Verse's HD PQ is pretty lousy, just so you know. Depending on what you're coming from, though, it may not necessarily be that much noticably worse.

(Their SD, on the other hand, is excellent. Of course, it won't be 16:9.)
Rammitinski is offline  
post #202 of 229 Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Thanks for the info wajo and Rammitinski. I think I can work with that. I know the HD PQ sucks. I'm hoping it will get better by the time I'm able to get it.
mdavej is offline  
post #203 of 229 Old 05-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
TygerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hialeah, FL
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I been looking up on DVD Recorders with the Firewire ports, Is this recorder compatible with all MiniDV Camcorders via the Firewire ports?

I wonder if it would control the camcorder when recording from MiniDV to DVD.
TygerClaw is offline  
post #204 of 229 Old 05-19-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,391
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
No idea if it's compatible with all camcorders, but the DV/Firewire port on the toshiba worked fine with my sony and controlled it as well. Same goes for my panasonic.
mdavej is offline  
post #205 of 229 Old 05-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
TygerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hialeah, FL
Posts: 337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

No idea if it's compatible with all camcorders, but the DV/Firewire port on the toshiba worked fine with my sony and controlled it as well. Same goes for my panasonic.

That's good, I also have a Panasonic MiniDV camcorder.

In the future I plan on getting a DVD Recorder so that I can record the MiniDV to DVDs, Its a pain in the ass to do it via the computer cause it takes such a long time to transfer and then for it to process and make the DVD. And I'm using the Firewire cable.
TygerClaw is offline  
post #206 of 229 Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How come when I have checked specs it says that DVD-Ram is one of the formats it recognizes but everything I read say it's not compatible.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #207 of 229 Old 08-09-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My understanding is that they play them, but don't record on them.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #208 of 229 Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
wvasko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central IL
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

My understanding is that they play them, but don't record on them.

Thank you for reply. It was a tad confusing as I do have a Tosh HD-A35 and a Tosh LCD-TV but all the other equipment (recorders)have been Panasonic and do record to Ram which I have enjoyed as it's easy etc. I am getting fed up with the Panasonic reliable program. I was looking for another way to go and get out from under the Panny program. I have never used the DVD-r/w type recording and have no idea of the complexities involved. Can you give me a dumbed down version, how much harder than just tossing a ram disc in is it.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
wvasko is offline  
post #209 of 229 Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
RW discs are almost as easy to use as RAM discs although they do omit some features. One feature is chase-play or the ability to be recording to the disc while also playing back something different.
Another thing different with RWs is you only gain back time if you delete the last title on the disc. Reformatting or deleting all the titles gives you back all your time.
-RWs need to be finalized before they're playable on DVD players, then you just reformat them to use over again. +RWs are similar but don't need to be finalized rather they need a separate step to create the top menu. If you don't do this the disc will just play in the player but you won't be able to bring up a main menu(Panasonic recorders act this way, it's possible a +RW disc recorded on a Toshiba may be different). +RW discs(again recorded on a Panasonic for sure) have limited search speeds. Something like 2x, 6x, 12x and the final totally unusable 10,000x (or you basically scan the entire disc in a matter of a few seconds).
jjeff is offline  
post #210 of 229 Old 08-10-2009, 11:59 PM
 
evorod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't really use the rewrite capability, so I'll probably just get some -r media instead.
evorod is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off