Toshiba D-R410 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 229 Old 08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I've justed ordered one of the newer Toshiba DR420 DVD recorders. Has any of the DR410 or 420 owners found discrete power on and power off remote codes for these units. I use a Harmony remote and their data base only has the power toggle command.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 229 Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
No discretes exist for these. Play is sometimes a good substitute for on, but I can't think of a good way to work that into the harmony setup.
post #213 of 229 Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

No discretes exist for these. Play is sometimes a good substitute for on, but I can't think of a good way to work that into the harmony setup.

Thanks for the info. I got my DR420 today and programmed my Harmony remote to use the 'play' IR command for power on and to use 'play' followed by 'power toggle' for power off. This latter sequence will insure the DR420 is powered on (via the 'play' command) then will turn it off via the 'power toggle' command. While not as ideal as true discrete power on and power off commands, this setup seems to work well enough. This is easy to program for the Harmony.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #214 of 229 Old 10-21-2009, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Could someone please confirm that if you recorder a -R disc in video mode, after you finalize and insert it into another player, does it start playing the video or does it go to a menu first?

Thanks,
Scott
post #215 of 229 Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacarmic View Post

Could someone please confirm that if you recorder a -R disc in video mode, after you finalize and insert it into another player, does it start playing the video or does it go to a menu first?

Thanks,
Scott

It goes to a menu first, before playing the video. No way around this that I know of.
post #216 of 229 Old 10-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
bummer, thanks!
post #217 of 229 Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hows the recording & play back of the 420?
post #218 of 229 Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM

I have a Motorola dvr dct6412. Whenever I view/record HD channels, the picture goes to widescreen view on my 50" Panasonic. The problem I'm having is that the picture gets distorted. It seems like a piece(a row) from the bottom of the picture gets cut off and gets paste on the top of the picture. Therefore, I had a weird line on top of my picture that changes color. This only happens when I try to record HD channels. Does anybody know what I can do?
post #219 of 229 Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If your TV has full pixel or Zero overscan enabled, you'll want to turn those off. I had a Panny plasma but don't remember what they call it, you may even be able to adjust the overscan bit by bit.
I see the same thing on my Sony HDTV but only for some SD programs. Bright flashing line near the top of the screen. I have full pixel enabled because I don't like overscan and rarely watch 4:3 SD. I think it's some kind of vertical interlace signal causing the flashing, but I agree it can be annoying.
post #220 of 229 Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM

I don't have those functions on my 50" plasma Panasonic Th-PZ700U. I was thinking it had something to do with the output of my Motorola DVR to the Toshiba D-R410. I can record fine with the D-R410 if it's on a regular channel. If it is on HD channels, the tv automatically goes to widescreen(if connected to D-R410) and that is when line on top of the picture shows up. If my tv is not connected to the D-R410 then my HD channels are fine because it is on full screen mode and there is no line on top. The D-R410 makes my HD channel go to widescreen.
post #221 of 229 Old 11-18-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Hows the recording & play back of the 420?

Recording is very good at 2 Hrs or less. Playback is fine for SD but very poor at upscaling to HD. That's true of all of my recorders. Most cheap upscaling players will do a better job, so I use players for playing and recorders for recording.
post #222 of 229 Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman2009 View Post

I have a Motorola dvr dct6412. Whenever I view/record HD channels, the picture goes to widescreen view on my 50" Panasonic. The problem I'm having is that the picture gets distorted. It seems like a piece(a row) from the bottom of the picture gets cut off and gets paste on the top of the picture. Therefore, I had a weird line on top of my picture that changes color. This only happens when I try to record HD channels. Does anybody know what I can do?

I have this exact same effect from my Moto DVR. I don't believe there is anything you can do, it is what is outputted from the DVR over the SD analog outputs(I use Svideo). I think it's the cable box fault, and the not recorder. I have recorded things from my TV's composite video output(it actually has one and it outputs 16x9 anamorphic!!!) and do not get that narrow line.

The upconverting is just fine for me, I really didn't notice a difference until I lent my 410 to someone, and plugged in a 5 year old Sony 480p DVD player via component. I immediatly noticed it was not as sharp, the 410 looked way better(set to upconvert to 720p). I am using a 4 year old 720p DLP, so it's not as noticable as if I had a brand new 1080p LCD or plasma.
post #223 of 229 Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks everyone,my wifes 15 yr old vcr is about to die & looking for something so she can record her soaps.
post #224 of 229 Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Hi,

I just purchased a 410 at Best Buy yesterday. I'm very happy with the recording quality, the only problem I have is my HD titles (or live tv) recorded on my DVR in 16X9 will only record (and display) in 4X3 LBX. I have Cablevision and a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box. I was wondering is it possible my hookup is at fault because my output (and the screen display) will only be in 4X3 LBX (regardless of using component or HDMI). I've checked both TV and Recording format boxes for 16X9. I also made sure to use DVD-R recording material.

TIA
post #225 of 229 Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM

The problem is that the inputs on a dvd recorder are composite and s-video. The composite and s-video outputs on my Motorola dvr only distribute letterboxed, not anamorphic widescreen. I wish dvd recorders had component or hdmi inputs so that it could copy anamorphic programming (even though downrezzed from HD).

The only way to do this is to get a device that converts the component output from your source to composite/S-video for your dvd player. Here is a thread that talks about that very subject:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=828063
I use a device from Ambery, but it seems the website is no longer there. It also cost more than the dvd player itself, but it does the job.

The good news about the Toshiba dvd recorder is that you can set the widescreen flag. It's the only recorder I could find that has this option and the reason I bought this one. Although the recording is the same regardless of the flag, playback uses the flag. If you play a movie with the widescreen on a 4x3 tv, it will still display correctly with bars on the top and bottom instead of thin faces.

Amazing that they make this stuff so complicated. You'd think there would be a standard way to record anamorphic widescreen content onto a dvd that would play correctly on both 16x9 and 4x3 tv's without doing all this.
post #226 of 229 Old 12-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Spider

Thank you so much! I don't think I can afford something like that or justify it to my wife lol

I kept thinking my input was goofed or something of the like. It's good to know so I can just keep focused on transferring and recording instead of trying to mess around with the controls.

I am happy that even though it records only in LBX I just have to switch my HDTV to 4X3 and it doesn't look stretched (in fact the zoom button frames it pretty nicely for a fake anamorphic widescreen).
post #227 of 229 Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In this and my next post there are ten photos of a tunerless Toshiba D-R410 of October 2008 manufacture. The views should be typical of other Funai manufactured entry-level tunerless DVD recorders.

In order to clean the rubber hub atop the DVD Drive spindle (turntable) it is not necessary to remove the DVD Drive rear lid. I removed the DVD Drive rear lid in order to show details of the spindle and laser assembly.

When the disc tray is in the closed/locked position the spindle is in the high position and the DVD is lifted off the disc tray and clamped against the bridge-mounted guide wheel.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #228 of 229 Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

When the white gear at the side of the DVD Drive is rotated toward the front (see the seventh photo) the disc tray is unlocked and extends while the spindle and laser assembly descend giving access to the rubber hub (see the eighth through tenth photos). When the white gear at the side of the DVD Drive is rotated toward the rear the disc tray is drawn back into the drive while the spindle and laser assembly are returned to the high position after which the disc tray is locked into the closed position.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #229 of 229 Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Earlier posts in several threads have bemoaned copy protection difficulties with some Toshiba DVD recorders. I’ve now experienced this Toshiba pain for myself.

This Toshiba D-R410 of October 2008 manufacture is a Craig’s List purchase ($30) from a month ago. Since that time it has not been set up for regular use. Yesterday I set this 410 up (for the first time) for the specific purpose of playing a six minute long portion of a Panasonic-recorded DVD through the 410 model’s composite output to the front panel composite input of my Philips 3575 in order to dub to the 3575 model’s hard drive. That Philips hard drive recording was then found to have the “copy protected” icon—the first time I’ve ever seen that icon with any of my Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders.

Here is the background. Recently, TCM has been showing a six minute long “TCM Original Production” promo describing the 1999 restoration of Greed (1924). This promo is especially interesting in that Josef Von Stroheim, son of Greed director Erich Von Stroheim, participates in the promo. In the run-up to TCM’s showing of the restored version of Greed I’ve twice recorded this promo, both times with Panasonic DVD Recorders. When TCM screened the 1999 restored version of Greed I recorded it to the hard drive of my Philips 3575. Greed and two short interstitials were recorded as a single title of 4:30 duration at the LP recording mode. My recording strategy took into account title dividing, including the two short interstitials as well as dividing Greed into two parts for the purpose of high-speed dubbing to two DVDs. I used the LP recording mode since I was unsure where the Greed title divide could be made in such a way as to preserve scene continuity. As it turned out I found the best title divide location occurred at 2:26:09. That left part two with a running time of 1:32:43. Since the TCM Greed screening lacked an intro, I determined to dub the six minute long Greed promo from a Panasonic-recorded disc to the 3575 model’s hard drive so the promo itself could be made to serve as the intro to part one.

It was at this point that the Toshiba D-R410 was set up. The promo was played from the Panasonic-recorded DVD by the 410 and recorded to the 3575 hard drive but the result was that the hard drive recording had the copy protected icon. Yes, I made an attempt to copy the promo to a blank DVD. That was not possible.

What did I do? I took that very same Panasonic-recorded DVD with the Greed promo and played it on a Sony DVP-NS57P DVD player where the composite output was connected to a Magnavox 2160A. The Greed promo was dubbed to the 2160 hard drive where there was no copy protected icon found on that hard drive recording. Then I high-speed dubbed the Greed promo to a blank TY disc. Then I took that 2160A disc to the Philips 3575 where part one of Greed was then high-speed dubbed. Then I finalized that disc. I am watching that disc through the Sony DVD player as I type. Success!

Part two of Greed was high-speed dubbed to another DVD where it was paired with an earlier showing of the 1925 MGM Studio Tour. Greed Director Erich Von Stroheim was seen in that 32:17 minute studio tour.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)