Toshiba D-R410 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 229 Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
picked this up over the weekend. i'm surprised nobody has posted about this new model yet. i've burned a good dozen discs, both -r and +r, and have not had a single problem. for the price, this thing is outstanding thus far.

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 AM

Yes, this is a very good model and very identical to D-R400 and KR10. Except for the REGZA Link rest of the features are the same as the ones mentioned above.
post #3 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

please look in 'record' menu and see if there is option for recording in both 16x9/4x3 modes?
my tosh dr2 has the option but i may want to replace it sometime.
thanks!
post #4 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I also got one last week, had pretty much decided on the D-R400, and needed to get it last week to make some DVDS before the weekend. Pretty sure I got one of the first batches that CC had, and I had a $75 GC so it made it nice and cheap

Very easy to set up, I just ran svideo from my Comcast 3416 DVR to the svideo input on the back. As has been discussed, the box doesnt' output 16:9 anamorphic, but it does output 16:9, and I'd rather have 16:9 widescreen that doesn't quite fill up my widescreen TV upon playback than be stuck with cropped 4:3.

In the setup menus there is an option for picture format, you can force 4:3 or 16:9 or set it to "auto" which is what I left it on. It detected and recorded downconverted HD programs played back from my DVR just fine, in 16:9 format.

Recording looks great for SD, when I used SP(2hr) It was pretty easy to figure out how to edit the title names, neat that you can do that. There are some trade-offs with certain format discs, like for -R's you can record widescreen, but you cannot manually create chapter marks(you can set them to appear every 5,10,15,20,25,30 minutes though). For +R's you cannot record 16:9 format, but you can insert chapter marks manually wherever you want.

I was surprised just how VCR like it is, it records right away when you hit record, and stops right away. You can pause the recording and then resume, this works great for editing out commercials without creating seperate titles on the DVD.

Paired with a DVR this thing is a great way to archive, although only in SD. I have the HTPC for HD If you have a DVR, save the money and get this tunerless model. Record to the DVR with a few button presses, then just record to a DVD using this device when you get around to it, then delete off your DVD. This way you can edit out commercials easily.

My project this summer is to convert many VHS tapes. 2hr college bball games work great on SP mode, when you edit out commercials, 2hrs is plenty of time, and you have some time to record postgame recaps or Sportscenter highlights of the game or something.

I have not tried the upconverting yet, needed to get another HDMI cable(yay Monoprice!) It's just hooked up via component for now.

If anybody needs/wants to know anything more just ask, I'll try to start checking this thread/area in my daily perusing of AVS
post #5 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Very easy to set up, I just ran svideo from my Comcast 3416 DVR to the svideo input on the back. As has been discussed, the box doesnt' output 16:9 anamorphic, but it does output 16:9, and I'd rather have 16:9 widescreen that doesn't quite fill up my widescreen TV upon playback than be stuck with cropped 4:3.

In the setup menus there is an option for picture format, you can force 4:3 or 16:9 or set it to "auto" which is what I left it on. It detected and recorded downconverted HD programs played back from my DVR just fine, in 16:9 format.

Recording looks great for SD, when I used SP(2hr) It was pretty easy to figure out how to edit the title names, neat that you can do that. There are some trade-offs with certain format discs, like for -R's you can record widescreen, but you cannot manually create chapter marks(you can set them to appear every 5,10,15,20,25,30 minutes though). For +R's you cannot record 16:9 format, but you can insert chapter marks manually wherever you want.

If anybody needs/wants to know anything more just ask, I'll try to start checking this thread/area in my daily perusing of AVS

is your dvr an hd model? if so check at bottom right of your remote for 'mode' button, there may be a 'stretch' mode there which would give u the anamorphic stretch on downrezzed hd content over s video. which would allow widescreen tv to stretch back out to normal without zooming which reduces pq.

what do u mean by 'can force 4x3 or 16x9'?

also, u say u can record widescreen on -r discs. is there a software 'switch' in the record menu letting u choose between widescreen(16x9) and full screen (4x3)? the 'switch' is what im looking for. i have said software 'switch' in my 4 yr old tosh dr2.

thanks a lot!
post #6 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

is your dvr an hd model? if so check at bottom of your remote for 'mode' button, there may be a 'stretch' mode there which would give u the anamorphic stretch on downrezzed hd content over s video.

what do u mean by 'can force 4x3 or 16x9'?

also, u say u can record widescreen on -r discs. is there a software 'switch' in the record menu letting u choose between widescreen(16x9) and full screen (4x3)? the 'switch' is what im looking for. i have said software 'switch' in my tosh 4 yr old tosh dr2.

thanks a lot!

Yea the 3416 is an HD-DVR model made by Motorola, our Comcast remotes do have that button on the bottom, but it's disabled and doesn't do anything. I know the dianostic/video display config screens inside and out, no way to output anamorphic widescreen, the hardware cannot do it

Yes, there is a 'switch' that you refer to. That is what I meant by "forcing" 4x3 or 16x9. There is an 'auto' setting that detects what format picture is being fed to the input, and it will record in the proper mode. I believe this only applies to certain disc formats that can handle widescreen. The matrix of what formats support what features is in the manual, I believe it's the same as the d-r400.
post #7 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Greetings AVS members,

I am a complete newbie, and don't know squat over shinolla. I just purchased (but yet to have receice) an D-R410, which will be connected to my DirectTV and soon to arrive 50PZ85U.

Quetion: How should I connect the DVDR to my system? Should I run "S" Vid To the DVD recorder from the Sat Box, and use RCA for audio? Then use compopsite OP's to the TV?

Would an "S" Video input, and RCA audio in/out be OK? I'll be using HDMI from the Sat box to my Yammi HTR6160, then to my Pan 50PZ85U. Is that OK for the expected 480 when recording on the DVDR?

Thanks all,
Mitch

Mitch
My Opinion - Worth What You Paid For It...
***New to HDTV***
post #8 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
S-video and RCA audio is definitely the best choice for in (you don't have many options there, anyway). For out, you can experiment with different outputs at different resolutions, and see what you prefer.

The "upscaling" in the recorder will not be as good as the one in the Panny, no doubt, so you don't necessarily have to use the highest quality output connection at the highest resolution.

Most of my recorders look best on my Pio Elite at 480i over s-video or component, because my display has a pretty good scaler, but YMMV.
post #9 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea the 3416 is an HD-DVR model made by Motorola, our Comcast remotes do have that button on the bottom, but it's disabled and doesn't do anything. I know the dianostic/video display config screens inside and out, no way to output anamorphic widescreen, the hardware cannot do it

Yes, there is a 'switch' that you refer to. That is what I meant by "forcing" 4x3 or 16x9. There is an 'auto' setting that detects what format picture is being fed to the input, and it will record in the proper mode. I believe this only applies to certain disc formats that can handle widescreen. The matrix of what formats support what features is in the manual, I believe it's the same as the d-r400.

last question, hopefully.
do u know if 410 will properly record widescreen on -r discs?
this would mean that on a 4x3 tv the image would look normal but with letter/pillar boxes while on a widescreen tv, it would be stretched out to look normal.
post #10 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

this would mean that on a 4x3 tv the image would look normal but with letter/pillar boxes while on a widescreen tv, it would be stretched out to look normal.

Yes, it looks just like a widescreen DVD does on a 4:3 TV when set to "letterbox", there are black bars on the top and bottom. That was the first thing I did when I finished the first DVD, took it to the old DVD player that now resides in the bedroom with the 15 year old 4:3 TV, it looks fine.

Same on a 16:9 TV, you still have black bars on top and bottom, since my DVR box won't output anamorphic widescreen, which would have made it fill the widescreen TV. But I don't mind the bars, in order to preserve the ratio perfectly. If you wanted to fill the screen, it would distort.

The real test will be once I get the HDMI cable, how well the player upconverts what was originally an HD signal, downres'ed to 480i, recorded to DVD, then re-upscaled back to 720P. Of course I'll loose a lot and it will look closer to SD than HD, but I'm curious as to how much.

For something I cannot stand to loose the HD on, I can capture to my HTPC via firewire, then burn the ts/MPEG2 files to DVD+DL discs. I can get about 45ish minutes on a disc, before the size of the video files > 8.5GB Or store on hard drive space, since it's soooo cheap.

In short, YES it properly records widescreen input onto DVD-r's, so long as that menu setting is set to 16:9 or "AUTO", in which case it will work properly because it can tell the ratio of the incoming signal.
post #11 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In short, YES it properly records widescreen input onto DVD-r's, so long as that menu setting is set to 16:9 or "AUTO", in which case it will work properly because it can tell the ratio of the incoming signal.

thanks so much!
i just looked up what i hope was the correct manual (model #s were somewhat different but began w a 4 (?), it seems to concur w your answer.

i guess i know which machine to get if i decide to get a new one.

consider asking (politely demand, actually) your cableco for a sa8000hd or sa8300hd dvr, each w 160gb hdd. with the sara software.
important-if they cant get u one w sara s/ware, dont bother; this will give u the anamorphic stretch in sd mode (480i), over the s video output.
copy protection issues may be encountered w premium/hd channels.

i have comcast also and those were the dvrs (i had 2) i had for 3+yrs. i got rid of hd service/dvrs cuz they took away hdnet/movies. pissed me off.
post #12 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as others have confirmed, it does properly record widescreen to -r discs. also, we had a thunderstorm rip through the area tonight and my power went out as i was burning a disc. when it went back on, the recorder said it was "repairing" the disc and finished finalizing it. the damn thing played flawlessly on my other dvd players. not sure if this is a standard feature on dvd recorders these days, but it was pretty sweet...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #13 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 PM

Is this model worth purchasing?

I'm not worried about a tuner, but can it record off of a DVR if its playing a movie? I mainly want to use this for my camcorder ripping of movies to DVD.
post #14 of 229 Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56 View Post

Is this model worth purchasing?

I'm not worried about a tuner, but can it record off of a DVR if its playing a movie? I mainly want to use this for my camcorder ripping of movies to DVD.

yes
and yes
dont know about the camcorder bit.
post #15 of 229 Old 04-02-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:

yes
and yes
dont know about the camcorder bit.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

How is the build quality on this player?
post #16 of 229 Old 04-02-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks so much!
consider asking (politely demand, actually) your cableco for a sa8000hd or sa8300hd dvr, each w 160gb hdd. with the sara software.
important-if they cant get u one w sara s/ware, dont bother; this will give u the anamorphic stretch in sd mode (480i), over the s video output.
copy protection issues may be encountered w premium/hd channels.

i have comcast also and those were the dvrs (i had 2) i had for 3+yrs. i got rid of hd service/dvrs cuz they took away hdnet/movies. pissed me off.

No dice on the SA boxes, Comcast areas are either strictly Motorola equipment or SA equipment. They are incompadible with each other. Our area and entire Southeastern PA is Motorola equipment at the headend and consumer levels. The SA boxes are much better from a technical capability standpoint, but Comcast's software/firmware pretty much limits it and places it on a near even keel with Motorola.

Not a huge deal, this is only an issue for recording widescreen programs, which would be my college bball games when shown in HD. I have a bunch archieved on VHS that I'll be transferring this summer, and this won't be an issue since they are all 4:3 of course.

Candyman56-

No issues for me so far. Build quality seems OK, I don't know if anything these days has outstanding build quality. This model seems virtually identical to the D-R400 that has generally very good reviews. I haven't tried the upconverting player yet, waiting on the HDMI cable from Monoprice.

As far as your camcorder, if it has composite(yellow RCA plug) video output, or svideo output then it'll work fine. I think there is some kind of camcorder DV input as well on the front, and some kind of specific camcorder controls.
post #17 of 229 Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:

No dice on the SA boxes, Comcast areas are either strictly Motorola equipment or SA equipment. They are incompadible with each other. Our area and entire Southeastern PA is Motorola equipment at the headend and consumer levels. The SA boxes are much better from a technical capability standpoint, but Comcast's software/firmware pretty much limits it and places it on a near even keel with Motorola.

Not a huge deal, this is only an issue for recording widescreen programs, which would be my college bball games when shown in HD. I have a bunch archieved on VHS that I'll be transferring this summer, and this won't be an issue since they are all 4:3 of course.

Candyman56-

No issues for me so far. Build quality seems OK, I don't know if anything these days has outstanding build quality. This model seems virtually identical to the D-R400 that has generally very good reviews. I haven't tried the upconverting player yet, waiting on the HDMI cable from Monoprice.

As far as your camcorder, if it has composite(yellow RCA plug) video output, or svideo output then it'll work fine. I think there is some kind of camcorder DV input as well on the front, and some kind of specific camcorder controls.

Please chime in on the upconversion, I would be interested in that. I have a HD DVD A30 and Panny BD30, I use the A30 more for my SD-DVD upconversion + HD DVD movies. I am in the process of slowly selling off my HD DVD's and eventually get rid of the A30 and would like a DVD Recorder with nice upconversion.
post #18 of 229 Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

I've got a D-R400 which is pretty much the same as the newer R410...I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a very nice recorder, and IMO the upconversion is good w/HDMI cable (it's supposed to upconvert to 1080p but I've only got a 720p set -- obviously looks great to me though). Also it seems pretty solid so far -- not flimsy or cheap seeming, to me anyway. It's easy enough to use, also. You'd probably be quite happy with the D-R410.

According to the description of the D-R410, you can plug a camcorder into the front DV input and transfer tapes to DVD pretty easily...if that's what you were thinking of doing.

DGK
post #19 of 229 Old 04-03-2008, 09:38 PM

Does the D-R410 encounter any CP errors while recording premium channels from a DVR?
post #20 of 229 Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayitbetter View Post

Does the D-R410 encounter any CP errors while recording premium channels from a DVR?

Good question, but I don't have any premium channels so I have no way to tell. I believe it would depend on how your provider has the channels "flagged" Comcast is pretty lax on that stuff for my area, 5C is not enabled on anything but the premiums. I was able to record cable HD channels(downconverted, of course) from my DVR onto a DVD with no CP issues whatsoever.
post #21 of 229 Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i used to run into cp issues only on hd content downrezzed thru s video for recording on my dvdr.
u may not be able to know until u try it. many providers use different systems.

if there are, goto firebird-systems.com

post #22 of 229 Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:

Never had any issues with premiums from my DirecTV DVR.
post #23 of 229 Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I honestly don't know about premium channels...but so far I've been able to record just about anything else I've wanted, including TV shows off of the DVR. But then we don't subscribe to premium channels per se, although we DO get VOD channels. I'll have to experiment and see if I can record one of those, just to see if it'll work....

DGK
post #24 of 229 Old 04-05-2008, 03:29 PM

I'll have HDMI outputs from my Sat Rec & DVD player (DR410) going to my receiver (Yamaha 6160), then HDMI from the Yammi to my Pan 85U. My input to record DVD's will be the "S" vid off the Sat rec.

Question:
With my set up as described above, can I playback DVD's I've made thru the exsisting connections? The DVD HDMI out to rec, then rec HDMI out to TV? Or will I need to use another output from my DVD player (DR410) to the TV?

Thanks in advance! This is all new to me...appreciate your patience here.

Mitch
***New to HDTV***
post #25 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Similar question as above, currently my cable box is connected via HDMI to my AV Receiver and from there to the projector again with HDMI.

The input on the 410 is s-video. Do I really need to disconnect the current HDMI cable connection and now run s-video from the cable box to the 410 and then component to the receiver? Seems like a lot of lost quality unless I'm looking at this wrong...
post #26 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT View Post

Similar question as above, currently my cable box is connected via HDMI to my AV Receiver and from there to the projector again with HDMI.

The input on the 410 is s-video. Do I really need to disconnect the current HDMI cable connection and now run s-video from the cable box to the 410 and then component to the receiver? Seems like a lot of lost quality unless I'm looking at this wrong...

I'm drfinstely the LEAST knowledgable person on this forum, but....why can't you leave the HDMI cable connected also?

The DVD can only record at 480p, right? So does the issue of lost quailtry (concerning recording only) really become an issue?

But your post made me think of a question - can the recorder take the signal in HDMI, then down convert to 480p, then send out via HDMI back out, in 480p? Then we could just use the HDMI cables as input from the DVDR, right? My DirectTV sat box's outputs are suppose to all be hot, so I guess no need for me to set which output desired?

Don't hold back, I kow I have a lot to learn.

So if I understand correctly, I can record via S vid & RCA audio in, then playback via the existing HDMI output to TV, correct?

Thanks...

Mitch
***New to HDTV***
post #27 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Recorders can only record in 480i, and none have HDMI inputs. You can record in 480i and upconvert to 1080p via HDMI or other formats if your recorder has that feature. Few or none upconvert over Component, either.
post #28 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiselchst View Post

Why can't you leave the HDMI cable connected also? I'm probably the LEAST knowledgable person on this forum, but....

The DVD can only record at 480p, right? So does the issue of lost quailtry (concerning recording only) really become an issue?

But in your question - can the recorder take the signal in HDMI, then down convert to 480p, then send via HDMI back out, in 480p? Then we could just use the HDMI cables as input, right? My DirectTV sat box's outputs are suppose to all be hot, no need to set which uotput desired?

Don't hold back, I kow I have a lot to learn.

Thanks in advance for any responses (I just realized - I'm Hi-Jacking this thread - maybe I should start a fresh one and the OP keep this issue on focus?)

Yes I understand the recording will not be in High Def. I'm doing a bad job of explaining this...

I just connected everything up as follows and all is working:

01) cablebox >> hdmi >> receiver (hdmi input #3)
02) cablebox >> s-vid >> DVD-R >> hdmi >> receiver (input #4)

At this point the a/v receiver input selection is determining whether the full high def cable is being viewed (input #3) or a downconverted picture but with recording ability thru the dvd-r (input #4).

But before it gets to the receiver both the HDMI and S-video are being transmitted thru from the cablebox to the receiver, since there is no forced output selection being made on the cablebox.

I'm curious whether it causes any problems or degrade in performance for the cable box to be transmitting from both outputs at the same time?
post #29 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Gotcha...Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for all of the help here (To me, this is (currently) rocket science...LOL).

Mitch
***New to HDTV***
post #30 of 229 Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 PM

Could someone look at their manuals to see if the 410 will record DVD-RAM? The manuals for both the 400 & 410 are not listed as available at the Toshiba website. The pdf for the specs do say DVD-RAM is playable but no mention about recording.

I record classes with DVD-RAM & use Ulead to convert to DVD video as well as list a detailed subject matter of the lecture as part of the title/chapter, something that the recorder (Panasonic) doesn't provide sufficient space.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page