Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Haven't seen any side by side comparisons of the EZ-48 to the EZ-47, but dhjellen did a excellent comparison of the EZ-28 to the EZ-27. Note these are DVDR's only and do not have the VHS. I would assume the DVDR features would be similar on all of them.
Here's a link for his comparison
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007613
maybe someone else has both of the 4 series and will post their findings to better answer your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a lot of VHS tapes to copy, and I'm researching machines to do this. I want to get rid of the tapes after copying to give me more room; the tapes just take up too much space. The DMR-EZ48V is one of them. A couple of real noob questions: Can this copy protected tapes? Since the copying will be done unattended, how is the auto tape tracking on this unit? Quick and accurate? Is there some other machine by any other mfr. that might be better than this unit for what I want to do? (I really don't want to tie up my computer for days on end using it to do this job.) All replies appreciated. (i.e., What would you do?) Thanks.
post #33 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I don't think any current DVDR will copy Copy-protected tapes without an inline filter.

As far as units to research, click on my signature for the Philips DVDR3575H/37, which has a 160GB HDD and NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners, so editing will be easier and you'll be able to tune digital channels, so a sort of "future-proofing." No VHS player but you've prob. already got one or more of those?

post #34 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 02:47 PM

Also a advantage to separates is it will be easier to use a external filter for your CP'd tapes. You can use a filter with this Panasonic combo(unlike most all other brands) but it's not very convenient.
post #35 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 03:04 PM

wajo - Thanks for the info. A lot of reading you've provided.... I'll have to study it later. Your suggestion seems to be a very practical one. Do you think the 3575 refurbished model is an OK way to go? Will any copy protection encoded on the VHS tapes present a problem recording to the HDD? Does it prevent subsequent recording to DVD?

jjeff - sounds like a need an external filter.... Any sources?
post #36 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM

If the tapes are CP'd you will need a filter recording to either the 3575(both HDD or DVD) or Panasonic, or any DVDR. Here's a link to a thread talking about various filters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990948
If you have lots of editing the HDD would probably be the way to go. If you're trying to go cheap something like a Panasonic ES-15 would also work well(2 year old model). It can sometimes be had NIB for ~$100. It only has a analog tuner though, if that matters to you. It's a simple unit that makes great recordings. I have 2
post #37 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtop View Post

wajo - Thanks for the info. A lot of reading you've provided.... I'll have to study it later. Your suggestion seems to be a very practical one. Do you think the 3575 refurbished model is an OK way to go? Will any copy protection encoded on the VHS tapes present a problem recording to the HDD? Does it prevent subsequent recording to DVD?

The only real problem the 3575 has had is with holding digital channel tuning when used in an analog cable system, and Comcast seems to be the worst. ~38-40 of people in an analog cable system had some sort of tuning loss... one of mine loses it if I surf madly, 50-60 round trips, thru the digital channels, but I can always get it back by toggling the DTV/analog button. Actually, I have ZERO problems in my TW analog system cuz I NORMALLY use it like a NORMAL person.

The refurbs seem to be a great buy with most people happy with them, only the last two got the tuning problem with their analog cable systems. If you go that route, suggest you call the Philips Outlet store at the tel. # on 1st page of my link... they seem to have intermittent problems keeping their web page up. They cost $199 with free shipping.

If you're OTA or Sat, or even digital cable, you should be fine and the 3575 should serve you quite well!
post #38 of 1573 Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Since the copying will be done unattended, how is the auto tape tracking on this unit? Quick and accurate?

It depends on the tape. It usually takes the machine about 10-15 seconds to lock in the tracking, depending on how far out of sync the original recorder was. If it doesn't lock in, you can force it by holding the channel up and down buttons simultaneously. This can actually be done from the remote, which I have not seen on any other machine. Once it's locked in, it tracks pretty well, even if the tracking on the tape fluctuates. In situations where the tracking fluctuates too much, you can usually find a manual tracking setting that keeps most of the noise off the screen. I would recommend that you view the tape first to check the tracking, then roll it back and start the copy.

The real problem is when you have a tape that was recorded on multiple machines with differing adjustment. Although the machine will lock in at the beginning of the tape, when it gets to a point where a recording starts that requires a different tracking adjustment, it often fails to detect this and just keeps using the adjustment for the previous segment. In other words, you get a screen-full of completely worthless noise for the whole segment.

Quote:

What would you do?

Since you asked, :-), I would find a way to keep your original tapes. Depending on just how important this material is to you, I would never trust a copy of any kind. The way things are going these days, there's bound to be some other format coming down the pike in 10-20 years, or even less, and, if possible, you're going to want to copy your tapes to that format without introducing another generation of distortion. I still have my parents' wedding on 8mm film (yes, that's FILM) even though I copied it to VHS years ago.
post #39 of 1573 Old 04-07-2008, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Purchased my EZ48VK tonight & cannot figure out how to use the tuner to get picture in picture.

i bought the display & unfortunately it didn't come with the manual.

Can you get picture in picture (pip)?

And how do you get the clock on?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #40 of 1573 Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT2008 View Post

Purchased my EZ48VK tonight & cannot figure out how to use the tuner to get picture in picture.

i bought the display & unfortunately it didn't come with the manual.

Can you get picture in picture (pip)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

'PiP' occurs when using the Time Slip feature, on recordings made on RAM discs. When recording to RAM, you can wait several minutes after recording starts, and then press the TimeSlip button and the program starts playing and the 'pip' window is displayed in the corner.
Use the arrow buttons to set increments of time, to move forward or back thru the program, or entire disc. Example-you come in 30 mins into a recording, and you don't want to start at the beginning, you press the 'down arrow' repeatedly, to set the number of minutes to go backwards, pressing the ENTER button to initiate. During non recording playback of shows on the disc, you can set minutes with the 'up arrow' to move forward thru the disc.
You can also change the channels in the pip window-just use the ch up/down button, or key in the ch number and press ENTER.

TimeSlip does not work on finalized discs, or commercial store bought dvds, or on the vcr side.

Setting the clock must be done thruogh the Functions menu. You must set the recorder to the DVD side, then press the FUNCTIONS button, to look for Set Up.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #41 of 1573 Old 04-07-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

'PiP' occurs when using the Time Slip feature, on recordings made on RAM discs.

Confused is right! You both seem to be quite confused. I don't know what Westly-C thinks "PiP" stands for, but TedT2008 made it clear he's talking about Picture in Picture.

The EZ48 does not have any kind of Picture in Picture feature. If you have a monitor with PiP, you can use the machine as one of the monitor's PiP sources. For more detail, you'll have to tell us the make and model of your monitor.

Quote:

Again, I think you're asking about the monitor, not the EZ48, but I'll answer anyway. Once you set the clock (FUNCTIONS -> Other -> Setup), the clock can be displayed on the screen by pressing the STATUS button twice. The clock will be displayed on the machine's front display when it is off (standby) so long as you don't have the Front Display mode set to Automatic. The clock will not display on the front display when the machine is on.
post #42 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 AM

Well that explains the pip. Thanks!

As for the clock, yes i am talking about on the DVD/VCR combo.

It stays on when i shut the machine off, but when the machine is turned back on the clock doesn't stay displayed. it displays either STOP or E9.

Just wondering if you can get the clock to display all of the time when the machine is turned on.

Thanks again!!!!
post #43 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 AM

the monitor is a samsung plasma & yes the clicker has a pip button on it.

i read somewhere that i may need a 2 way splitter in order to work the pip. Is that true.

i have had tv with pip on them but it was so long ago i cannot remember how to make it work.

thanks again!!!
post #44 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

the monitor is a samsung plasma & yes the clicker has a pip button on it.

I found a Samsung PDP-Television manual here. The following is based on that manual.

The set has 1 component input, 1 composite input, 1 S-Video input, and 2 composite/S-Video inputs which require adapter cables. All of these can be used with the EZ48. How you use them depends on what other components you need to connect to the set. Ideally, you would connect the Component output of the EZ48 to the Component input of the set, but you may also need to connect one of the SD outputs of the machine for 2 reasons:

a) If you want to record a DVD and watch a tape at the same time, you need to use the DVD/VHS Common Output.

b) The Component input of the monitor cannot be used as the sub-picture of the PiP.

Fortunately, you have a lot of inputs on this set, so you can connect both the DVD/VHS Common output and the DVD Priority output. If this is all too confusing for you, I can go into more detail if you wish.

Quote:

i read somewhere that i may need a 2 way splitter in order to work the pip. Is that true.

You can go that way, or you can use the splitter that's built into the EZ48. Connect the antenna to the EZ48's RF IN and connect the EZ48's RF OUT to the monitor's Antenna input. This will only work if you plan on connecting the video output of the EZ48 to a video input of the monitor, as described above, and not using the EZ48's RF converter. In order to assure an uninterrupted antenna signal through the EZ48, you have to disable the RF converter using this procedure:

- Hold the FUNCTIONS button until the front panel display shows "CH 3", CH 4", or "OFF" (about 5 seconds).

- Press "Channel up" until the display shows "OFF".

- Press "OK".
post #45 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

'PiP' occurs when using the Time Slip feature, on recordings made on RAM discs. When recording to RAM, you can wait several minutes after recording starts, and then press the TimeSlip button and the program starts playing and the 'pip' window is displayed in the corner.
Use the arrow buttons to set increments of time, to move forward or back thru the program, or entire disc. Example-you come in 30 mins into a recording, and you don't want to start at the beginning, you press the 'down arrow' repeatedly, to set the number of minutes to go backwards, pressing the ENTER button to initiate. During non recording playback of shows on the disc, you can set minutes with the 'up arrow' to move forward thru the disc.
You can also change the channels in the pip window-just use the ch up/down button, or key in the ch number and press ENTER.

TimeSlip does not work on finalized discs, or commercial store bought dvds, or on the vcr side.

Setting the clock must be done thruogh the Functions menu. You must set the recorder to the DVD side, then press the FUNCTIONS button, to look for Set Up.

Actually Westly-C is correct(for sure on the ES Pannys, probably the EZ series but I'm not home now and haven't checked it on my EZ).
While recording a program to RAM if you push the Time Slip button you do get a PIP with the current live program as well as what has already been recorded on the RAM.
I don't use RAM's much but am just now experimenting with them, and NOTE this ONLY works with RAM's. Wes's statement eluded that TS will work with any unfinalized discs, but it only works with RAM's(on Panasonics anyway).
Ted, about the clock, the EZ-28 also does not display the clock when the machine is ON. It really bugs me but it's just one of the quirks of the machines. I know the machine is STOPPED, I don't need it to display STOP
post #46 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just received the Panny DMR-EZ48V yesterday, but haven't hooked it up yet. Just from reading the manual, it appears to lack a "non-optical" digital output for my external Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder, other than as part of the HDMI. My DD amp is a small Cambridge unit that has no optical input. Is there an HDMI-to-RCA type cable adapter for the audio, or is the HDMI's audio output a whole different animal?

Looking forward to firing up the 48V to see how well the ATSC tuner picks up my OTA channels (and how well the QAM tuner can suck some digital content from my analog cable connection). Also to seeing how well these digital feeds work on my 1080i capable Sony XBR using the Panny's component video outputs (alas, no HDMI input on the Sony).

Thanks, Svenfran
post #47 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2029 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenfran View Post

Also to seeing how well these digital feeds work on my 1080i capable Sony XBR using the Panny's component video outputs (alas, no HDMI input on the Sony).

There is no up-conversion out of component, only HDMI. So your Sony will be doing all the work, which is not a bad thing since the Sony line-doubler has always been one of the best in the business.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #48 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Actually Westly-C is correct(for sure on the ES Pannys, probably the EZ series but I'm not home now and haven't checked it on my EZ).

I was not aware that this feature existed on the ES machines, but it does not appear to exist on the EZ's. I just tried it on my DMR-EZ48VK and it does not work. I just got a DMR-EZ28K today so I was able to try it on that and it doesn't work on that either.
post #49 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM

You are correct! I guess that's the problem when we believe features will stay the same within a brand but change with different lines.
My EZ-28 also does not have this PIP function. I must say I really never used RAM discs so I never got used to it on my ES machines, but I think if I had I might miss it on this machine.
Like noted above it gives a person a PIP of what's being recorded and what is playing.
I would think if someone used RAM's and really liked this feature on their older ES machine they might be upset it's missing, on at least the EZ-28 and EZ-48. I'm not going to say about the EZ-x7 line, since I personally never used the Time Slip(PIP) function when I had that line.

BTW Kelson my EZ-28 is capable of upconversion over Component, just not Component and HDMI at the same time. I just checked that out too, since I had previously only used HDMI for the output.
post #50 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:

BTW Kelson my EZ-28 is capable of upconversion over Component, just not Component and HDMI at the same time. I just checked that out too, since I had previously only used HDMI for the output.

Yes, you appear correct and I stand corrected. From reading the specs and your post, the EZ-x8 series can send up-converted video over component. This is new for the EZ-x8 series and makes them unique. The EZ-x7 series and all other DVDR's only upconvert over HDMI. Even Panasonic's current players only up-convert over HDMI.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #51 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Kelson, I can't remember if you have a x7 series(and use RAM's), but if you do both, is the x7 series capable of the PIP function using the TimeSlip button? Are all the ES series capable of this function?
post #52 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM

I don't have an x7, but I do have an E-85 which also has timeslip. Frankly guys, I would not call that PiP. It's just a monitor window that displays the tuned channel to aid in the timeslip function.

Real PiP is a function of the display and is the ability to display 2 separate inputs independently in 2 separate windows. During football season, if I'm watching the Sunday games live I'll use PiP on my Sony TV where I have the TV tuner tuned to the FOX game and displayed in one window and the E-85 tuned to the CBS game and displayed in another window. They used to make TV's with dual tuners in the old days for PiP.

- kelson h

post #53 of 1573 Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

You are correct! I guess that's the problem when we believe features will stay the same within a brand but change with different lines.
My EZ-28 also does not have this PIP function. I must say I really never used RAM discs so I never got used to it on my ES machines, but I think if I had I might miss it on this machine.
Like noted above it gives a person a PIP of what's being recorded and what is playing.
I would think if someone used RAM's and really liked this feature on their older ES machine they might be upset it's missing, on at least the EZ-28 and EZ-48. I'm not going to say about the EZ-x7 line, since I personally never used the Time Slip(PIP) function when I had that line.

Aw, c'mon... Why would they take that away from the newer units? Maybe the digital tuners wouldn't display a digital channel that way?
I've been waffling between the Phillips 3537 and the Pan EZ48, but learning more about the new EZ line is making me less enamored of the Panasonics.
Do I go with a hdd-but with possible buggy QAM tuner (I'm analog cable and tv for now), or stable QAM tuner on an EZ unit, but deal with less features than I'm used to-turning it off before a timer recording, no back to back timer recording on different channels...Arrrrgh!

My head hurts.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #54 of 1573 Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Westly, It's not that the EZ's can't watch one program while recording another(with RAM discs) it's just that they omitted the little window so you could watch both programs at the same time. You can only watch full screen either the recording or what's playing. I'm not sure if this was done because of the digital channels or not. Tonight I will try recording a analog channel and see if maybe the TS button works then? maybe...although the manual does not refer to this function so it's doubtful.
As far as the choice between the 2 it's up to you. The HDD is very handy, but if you're like me and enjoy full resolution all the way to 4hrs/disc you only have one choice.
Note if using RAM discs you should be able to record back to back programs on different channels with little lag. It's just with R's and RW's that the lag gets to be 20 seconds or so. RAM's only cut off a few seconds of the 2nd program. Turning it off(to start a scheduled event) also gets to be a PIA. For the life of me I can't figure out who thought that would be a good idea they should be shot
post #55 of 1573 Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Note if using RAM discs you should be able to record back to back programs on different channels with little lag. It's just with R's and RW's that the lag gets to be 20 seconds or so. RAM's only cut off a few seconds of the 2nd program.

Interesting you should say that. I have an E-85 and I have had occasion to watch the display as it transitions from recording one back-to-back event to another -- all from the standby state to the HDD. About 15 seconds before the end of the first event, the E-85 blanks out the display and looks to go into standby. About 10 seconds afterwards it wakes back up in time to record the second event. There is usually a commercial going on at the time so I don't notice it.
Quote:

Turning it off(to start a scheduled event) also gets to be a PIA. For the life of me I can't figure out who thought that would be a good idea they should be shot

This one is truely mind-boggling. Given that chase-play is a highly touted feature that you expect people to use, how can you then cripple it's utility like that. It's like one of those limited features they unlock for you if you pay the shareware fee and give them your EMAIL address. dumb, dumb, dumb . . .

- kelson h

post #56 of 1573 Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 AM

Yes HDD recorders probably cut off the least of the second program. I think R's and RW's cut off so much because they need to post finalize each recording to start the 2nd. After the first program ends you hear the disc grinding back and forth doing its thing before it is finally able to start the 2nd event.
I suppose one option would be to not use auto-clock set and set your DVDR's time 20 seconds fast. That way it would start the 2nd event on time and worst case you might miss the last few seconds of titles on the 1st event. Although now a days many programs are purposely running 1 to 2 min. long, which totally screws up things no way around that problem, except maybe a dual tunered DVDR like the TR-50, come on Echostar were waiting
post #57 of 1573 Old 04-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Just to update 2 of my earlier posts. First Time Slip does not display PIP even if recording a analog channel on my EZ-28 machine.
2nd if recording 2 back to back events on different channels you miss the first 15 seconds of the second event using a RAM disc and 16 seconds using a -RW disc. Basically the same. I think the only way to cut that down would be to use a DVDR w/HDD. I had thought that RAM's produced a shorter lag between programs but my tests tonight proved that wrong.

Not to be lieger the point but I did some more testing and the TS PIP function is also not on my '05 ES-15 or ES-25. I wonder if Panny dropped it after '04(the year of my ES-30).
post #58 of 1573 Old 04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I previously played around with seeing how much of which program, first or second, is lost when doing a timer recording. I used both RAM & DVD-R. I tried to use a weather channel or something with a clock for reference. Generally the RAM lost less time, but it was not consistent. Sometimes a couple seconds, sometimes 10 seconds. And usually it was the first program that ended early. But it's still a crap shoot because some programs seem to start a few seconds early.

If there's any kind of an overlap I use the EZ17 for the program where I think 16:9 is more important, & the ES20 for the other. I think one time I used the EZ17 for the first program & the ES20 for the first few minutes of the second program. But then switched back to the EZ17 in order to have 16:9 for the remaining 99 percent. What we go thru in order to watch TV!!
post #59 of 1573 Old 04-10-2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. (Been really busy the last few days.) I did visit the video stabilizer thread, and asking questions there, too....

I think a HDD solution is best. The need for the stabilizer has changed my thinking. At this moment I'm thinking that getting an external HDD that can be connected (via USB) to my HP computer might actually be the way to go; I'm assuming the computer is capable enough (multi-tasking) to allow me to surf the web and do other things while the copying process (onto the HDD) is running; burning the DVDs, of course, would be a dedicated computer event. I really just want to copy tapes; realistically, I'm not going to be recording programs off of my cable (TV).... I have a bunch of tapes--going back years--that I've never looked at....

BTW, I remember a few years ago researching blank CDs that were supposed to be archival quality. I imagine that there are DVDs available that have archival quality (even if "archival" implies ~25 years)? How long do VHS tapes remain "viewable?" I just do not have room for all those tapes, and if I store them in my attic above my garage during the hot Texas summers, the heat would surely destroy them.
post #60 of 1573 Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Yes their are "archival" DVD's, I think their called something like gold archival discs. I believe their's been talk about this in the Media Deals This Week thread. Their's also talk about which DVD's are best.
As far as VHS's most people would suggest you keep them for backups, but I do know the temptation. I have 3 shelving units that probably contain 1200+ VHS tapes. Many I have converted but many not. Last I checked even some of my 1982 tapes still played OK, but having got used to DVD quality they were a little lacking. I only used SP for VHS so I'm glad I had that fore site. I never liked SLP so basically never used it, but that explains some of the bulk. I had to have 3 tapes for others peoples 1.
So in my case my oldest VHS's are 25 years old and still working. I also used to use HG tapes(even when they were +$10 each) so that might also be helping. At least with VHS's they die slow, with DVD's I guess they just sometimes die outright and don't play. So far (only 4 years) I have not had that happen to any of my DVD's (and I only used middle of the road quality). Not junk but not Ty's either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page