Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1573 Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I owned DMR EZ475V EG EZ47VK and after it locked up3 times took it back to Costco and replaced it with a DMR EZ485V EG EZ48VK the lock up problem seem to disappear so far they seem to be alike except they added a usb drive input on top of the SD picture input . Iam not sure of the hi-res 500 line LP speed spec on that was listed on the EZ47(5)V literature its NOT listed on the EZ 48(5)V I called Pana tech support and after a very long phone call they were not sure themselves then said it did after getting the info from a supervisor. But Im still Leary all of the websites I scanned I found only 2 bhPHOTO AND ANOTHER one with that feature Listed the panasonic website stated NA if anyone has any furthur input contact me
thanks bob2780z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1573 Old 04-11-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Not sure of your exact question, but if it's asking if the EZ-48 has the 500 line LP resolution that would be a yes. It's one thing that's remained consistent from at least 2004 until current models. Not sure why they've taken it off the box but it's in the manual under specifications.
post #63 of 1573 Old 04-11-2008, 10:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Panasonic told me the EZ17 does record a 6.8 Mhz bandwidth, which is what commercial DVDs use, which supposedly yields 540 lines resolution. But I don't recall what, if any, speed was specified, such as SP or LP.

But it does record the full 720 x 480 pixels in both SP and LP mode, with the SP looking a bit better during fast motion scenes. Obviously the bit rate is reduced in LP mode. It's getting late & I'm scratching my head at the moment on how that relates to bandwidth.

post #64 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fired up a new EZ-48V yesterday to begin deciphering its features. Hooked to component video of my 1080i-capable Sony XBR monitor. Early reactions:

1. Digital tuner (QAM?) auto-tunes to several Comcast digital stations (Channel 125-x and lower) that I could not receive before, because I just have a straight cable connection with no digital converter. Can't get premiums like ESPN-HD, but can receive local and some other stations in HD now. ATSC tuner also picks up at least one OTA digital channel from my roof antenna that I could not receive before with my Samsung STB due to signal strength.

2. Panny won't supply my Cambridge Dolby Digital (DD) amp with 5.1 sound, because it has no digital coaxial output, only optical, which the amp lacks. A fairly major omission. Guess Panny thinks everyone has optical input now for their surround systems.

3. Somewhat confusing about what kind of signal it's really putting out (i.e., which HD resolution), but I set the menu item to Component Video priority (not HDMI) and 16:9 screen (TV is 4:3). That combination was needed to allow selecting the Panny menu's 1080i output, so I am assuming 1080i is what I am feeding to my Sony set.

4. Happy so far, except for extremely slow boot-up after power-on, even with Quick Start enabled. Haven't tried DVD or VHS recording features yet but will report later.

Svenfran
post #65 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 12:20 PM

Could one of you owners tell me if the new Panny is having any problems recording premium channels. Just returned a Sony dvdr/vhs combo because the copyright protection was atrocious.
post #66 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenfran View Post

3. Somewhat confusing about what kind of signal it's really putting out (i.e., which HD resolution), but I set the menu item to Component Video priority (not HDMI) and 16:9 screen (TV is 4:3). That combination was needed to allow selecting the Panny menu's 1080i output, so I am assuming 1080i is what I am feeding to my Sony set.

Yes, it should be putting out upconverted 1080 through component if that is what you have selected in the menu. Like all DVDR's it receives an HD signal and down-converts it to 480 for recording and normal output to composite and S-Video. The new EZ-x8 series will upconvert that video back to 720 or 1080 for output through the component or HDMI outputs.

Upconversion over component is a new feature that has debuted in the EZ-x8 series. Right now these Panasonics are the only ones that offer upconversion over component.

It's a pity this line of DVDR doesn't have a HDD. With the superior PQ and apparently high quality tuner for both OTA and cable, this would easily become a preferred model.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #67 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM

What ticks me more is that EZ's w/HDD are available in Europe. Digital tuner but wrong system
I'm going to be watching to see what Panny's Canada gets but I'm guessing they'll just be a mirror of our EZ line. I've read they've been clearing out their ES line w/HDD's.
post #68 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORTWASH View Post

Could one of you owners tell me if the new Panny is having any problems recording premium channels. Just returned a Sony dvdr/vhs combo because the copyright protection was atrocious.

Unless someone answers who is actually doing this I'll answer in a more generic form. Panny's will obied by any "real" CP, but is not prone to "false" CP signals like Sonys or some other DVDRs.
Most people I have read from say they have no problem recording premium channels but some do. I think it depends on your source. Personally I wouldn't be without some type of filter to remove CP. For ~$100 you can get one and not worry about the source. I still have my 4 year old Sima and have used it on all my Panny's.
On a side note I posted a link to Heartland America in the Video Stabilizer thread for $80 + shipping. It's the replacement for my Sima CT-2. Personally I'd just figure the price of a stabilizer in any DVDR I was thinking about, then you don't have to worry about your source.
post #69 of 1573 Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

What ticks me more is that EZ's w/HDD are available in Europe. Digital tuner but wrong system
I'm going to be watching to see what Panny's Canada gets but I'm guessing they'll just be a mirror of our EZ line. I've read they've been clearing out their ES line w/HDD's.

You know, jjeff, I wonder how much the declining dollar has to do with this. Given the poor value of the US dollar for foreign goods it may be that Panasonic can't sell a low volume item, like a HDD DVDR, here in the US for a price people are wiling to pay and still make any money. The Euro is pretty strong right now so Europe gets the goods -- same goes for Canada.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #70 of 1573 Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, you appear correct and I stand corrected. From reading the specs and your post, the EZ-x8 series can send up-converted video over component. This is new for the EZ-x8 series and makes them unique. The EZ-x7 series and all other DVDR's only upconvert over HDMI. Even Panasonic's current players only up-convert over HDMI.

Not only do Panasonic's current players not upconvert via component there are very few players of ANY brand ,if any, that do. And there are zilch DVDR's that do it at this time. IMHO if this true, this makes the EZ-x8 series incredibly unique and more desirable-just one reason among many is a lot of my tests have shown component to be so close to HDMI as to be almost indistinguishable. But at the very least for TV folks without HDMI it is nice. When the old Zenith DVB318 player had this, Zenith discovered it and hurriedly issued a firmware disc that shut it down. The powers to be want to keep everything in the HDMI domain.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #71 of 1573 Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 198
What do these manual entries mean re: the "upconvert over component" capability?

Under "Component Output Signal," pg 54 of the manual says the Component setting is for "TV compatibility," i.e., matching to the res/format of your TV, when it says: "If you connected this unit and a TV with component video cables, select the item [res/format] compatible with the connected equipment."

Under same "Component Output Signal" heading, manual also says DVD-Video will only play at 480p via Component: "[720p], [1080i]: Videos from DVD-Video are output with 480p, irrespective of the settings.".

The EZ28 (and 48 also?) has a "HDMI Priority" feature thru which you have to turn HDMI Priority Off if using Component: "[Off] When connecting equipment such as an amplifier with an HDMI cable and connecting TV (compatible with progressive video) with a Component Video Cable."

I searched the manual for "upconvert" and "up-convert" and found only one mention of it on pg 55 on HDMI when it says:
"To enjoy High Quality Video up-converted to 1080p, you need to connect the unit directly to a 1080p-compatible HDTV. If this unit is connected to an HDTV through other equipment, it must also be 1080p compatible. After selecting Functions of HDMI (➔ 54, step 3)
[press up/dn arrows] to select HDMI Resolution, then
[Auto] Automatically selects the output resolution best suited to the connected television (1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480p).
[480i]
[480p]
[720p]
[1080i]
[1080p]
When setting video output to 1080p, we
recommend using a Panasonic HIGH SPEED
HDMI cable to prevent video distortion."
post #72 of 1573 Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The DVD technology licensing group does not permit upconverting resolution from commercial DVDs over component outputs. It's a stupid and pointless regulation, but manufacturers of DVD players/recorders have no choice but to comply. A few allow upconversion of non-commercial DVDs over component, but there's little point to that. A very few off-brand models have violated this rule, but were pulled off the market when the DVD licensing group got an injunction to stop them from being imported.
post #73 of 1573 Old 04-16-2008, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

What do these manual entries mean re: the "upconvert over component" capability?

Under "Component Output Signal," pg 54 of the manual says the Component setting is for "TV compatibility," i.e., matching to the res/format of your TV, when it says: "If you connected this unit and a TV with component video cables, select the item [res/format] compatible with the connected equipment."

Under same "Component Output Signal" heading, manual also says DVD-Video will only play at 480p via Component: "[720p], [1080i]: Videos from DVD-Video are output with 480p, irrespective of the settings.".

The EZ28 (and 48 also?) has a "HDMI Priority" feature thru which you have to turn HDMI Priority Off if using Component: "[Off] When connecting equipment such as an amplifier with an HDMI cable and connecting TV (compatible with progressive video) with a Component Video Cable."

I searched the manual for "upconvert" and "up-convert" and found only one mention of it on pg 55 on HDMI when it says:
"To enjoy High Quality Video up-converted to 1080p, you need to connect the unit directly to a 1080p-compatible HDTV. If this unit is connected to an HDTV through other equipment, it must also be 1080p compatible. After selecting Functions of HDMI (➔ 54, step 3)
[press up/dn arrows] to select HDMI Resolution, then
[Auto] Automatically selects the output resolution best suited to the connected television (1080p, 1080i, 720p or 480p).
[480i]
[480p]
[720p]
[1080i]
[1080p]
When setting video output to 1080p, we
recommend using a Panasonic HIGH SPEED
HDMI cable to prevent video distortion."

Well, based on that op manual line "Under same "Component Output Signal" heading, manual also says DVD-Video will only play at 480p via Component: "[720p], [1080i]: Videos from DVD-Video are output with 480p, irrespective of the settings" it may not upconvert via component live feed and /or a commercial DVD- Somebody needs to physically test it.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #74 of 1573 Old 04-16-2008, 08:50 AM

According to Garypen on the EZ-28 thread, the EZ-28 which should be the same as the EZ-48 will NOT upconvert a commercial DVD over component. I'm waiting for a response as to exactly what it will upconvert to the component outs. eg. burnt DVD, tuner output etc.

edit: long story short, the EZ-28 will only upconvert "UNfinalized" DVD's over component. It also upconverts tuner output to component.
I would assume the EZ-48 would be the same.
post #75 of 1573 Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just encountered a weird problem with my Panasonic DVD recorders. I formatted a DVD-RW in my DMR-EZ37V and made a timer recording of 3 hours 2 minutes in FR mode. I checked the recording (I usually zip through the first and last few minutes of each track to make sure I got the show(s) I wanted) and, while everything seemed to be there, I encountered some problems with the machine locking up a few times and needing to be power cycled. I chalked it up to a reception problem (it was a recording of an analog station I usually have reception problems with) and went ahead and finalized the disk (Open, Rec). The Finalize finished much faster than usual, but did not report an error. When I reloaded the disk to check it, the machine gave me the "This disk is not properly formatted" prompt. I then loaded the disk into my EZ48V which just locked up while trying to read the disk and needed to be reset. I then put the disk in my el cheapo Accurian portable DVD player. It plays almost perfectly. I zipped through the whole disk at 32x and everything is there. Even the Top menu is there. It only encounters a problem in the last (49th) chapter which contains the last ~2 minutes of the track. Only that last chapter causes the player to hesitate, skip, and eventually lock up.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? Is this more likely a problem with the machines or the media? Is this as likely to happen on an EZ28? (Going forward, I plan on doing most of my recording on EZ28's and most of my playback on the EZ48V.)
post #76 of 1573 Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Yes, it should be putting out upconverted 1080 through component if that is what you have selected in the menu. Like all DVDR's it receives an HD signal and down-converts it to 480 for recording and normal output to composite and S-Video. The new EZ-x8 series will upconvert that video back to 720 or 1080 for output through the component or HDMI outputs.

Upconversion over component is a new feature that has debuted in the EZ-x8 series. Right now these Panasonics are the only ones that offer upconversion over component.

Thanks, Kelson. Pardon my ignorance, but is the down-conversion of the 1080i signal and upconversion process what normally takes place in an ATSC tuner, or am I sacrificing PQ in the process, as opposed to a dedicated set-top box (STB) ATSC tuner? In other words, is using the Panny as my HD tuner a good long term solution, or should I return my dedicated Samsung STB back to service? The Samsung will NOT tune the digital cable channels, only the OTA digital channels. Thanks, Svenfran
post #77 of 1573 Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM

What Samsung do you have? If it's the newer 260 is should tune the digital QAM channels, it is also true HD. All DVDR's may tune in a HD channel but it's downconverted in the machine and then potentially upconverted back to HD. This is not true HD. So depending on what kind of unit your Sammy is the Panny may not be as good.
Note on my testing I thought the EZ-28 actually did a very good job tuning and displaying 720p signals but not nearly as good with 1080i, but either were worlds above a 480i channel.
Also what kind of TV do you have? If it's HD 720 or 1080i it would probably benefit from a true HD tuner but it's just a SD TV the Panny would probably be just as good.
post #78 of 1573 Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM

jjeff-

The Samsung HD tuner is an older unit, an STR-100 or 150 (sorry, not at home to look). I tried to tune digital cable with it, and it wouldn't. It does have 1080i switchable output, and produces an excellent PQ over component connections to my Sony XBR 32" 1080i-capable set (4:3, CRT TV). I was hoping the Panny would have the same tuning and output so I could eliminate the Samsung, but it sounds like I should just break down and spring for the digital cable service and box. At least that way, I'd get ESPN-HD and the other "premium" digital channels above cable 125.x.
post #79 of 1573 Old 04-17-2008, 02:07 PM

Yes cable and SAT companies kind of have a monopoly on the whole HD tuning/recording thing. I think if I had pay TV I'd go that route. It would sure save a lot of headaches. Even if you had the new Samsung 260 QAM box you wouldn't be able to get ESPN HD, since it's more than likely not "in the clear".
post #80 of 1573 Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

Hi,
New to this thread and looking through it what I saw didn't seem to exactly answer what I'm wondering.
My wife wants something very simple. Pop in an old home VHS tape, pop in a DVD-R (or DVD+R), push a minimum number of buttons to record, and create a DVD that can be played on a set-top box. If I interpreted one post correctly, it indicated that chapters are created based on new segments of the VHS tape but she wants to be able to control when new chapters are created such that when the finalized disc is played, pushing the "next chapter" button on the DVD remote will forward to a chapter that she specifically created during the copying process (she plans to be present during the entire copying process - so will hopefully be able to fix tracking issues as well) Can this machine do that or are chapters automatically chosen by the machine?
Also, the model number is "DMR-EZ48VK" but Costco has a "DMR-EZ485VK". Does anyone know if this is the same exact machine - maybe one with a slightly different model number specifically for Costco?
Thank you so much for any responses and assistance.
Best.
post #81 of 1573 Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 AM

You can only create your own chapter marks using RAM discs. All other disc types are given a somewhat random time of between 2 min and 6 min. I believe the "chapter marks" that you read about being created when dubbing from VHS are actually "different titles". They are different. When playing back a disc with different titles their will be a noticeable 1 or 2 second pause between the titles, where as chapters do not have any break.
I know it stinks to not be able to add your own chapters on standard R/RW discs. All machines with HDD's (I think) have the ability to copy to the HDD, then add chapter marks, then HS copy back to a R/RW disc with chapter marks intact, but I don't know of any machine w/o HDD that can do this.
I think you're wife's dream machine(and mine) would have probably been the rather expensive EH-75 from Panasonic. It had a VHS/DVDR and HDD. I'm sure it would have done exactly what she wanted, but they are no longer made.
BTW usually the Costco/Sams machines are the same except they may include extras such as HDMI cable or maybe a free RAM disc included. Their usually the best deal going, IMO.
P.S. if you want to go the separates route you could get a used VCR and then one of the new Philips 3576 for $248 at Sams Club. You could copy from the VCR to the Philips, then add your chapter marks, then burn High Speed to a standard R disc with her chapter marks intact. It's just another idea. Check out Wajo's sticky for all the 3576 features. It's really a nice little unit for the price.
post #82 of 1573 Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post

My wife wants something very simple.

She married you, didn't she?

The process goes like this:

Load the tape and position it to where you want to start copying from.

Load new disc.

Depending on how careful you like to be, you might want to play the disc to make sure it's blank or has material you want to erase or add to.

If you're using -/+RW you'll have to format the disc. If you're reusing a RAM, you'll have to format or do a Delete All. No formatting necessary for -/+R.

You need to know how much material is on the tape and how much of it you want to fit onto one disc. Press the REC MODE button until the desired recording mode appears on the display. You have to know the recording times that correspond to each mode:

XP: 1 hr
SP: 2 hrs
LP: 4 hrs
EP: 6/8 hrs

If you need to use the 6 or 8 hour mode, you'll have to go into the Setup menus to select between them.

The copy can be initiated from the machine or from the remote. To initiate from the machine, press and hold the Copy to DVD button for about 3 seconds. (The machine will display a prompt on the TV when you can let go.) To initiate the copy from the remote, Press FUNCTIONS, arrow down to "Copy", press OK.

The machine will display a prompt on the TV asking you to press Record to copy with finalizing or Play to copy without finalizing. You can press either of these buttons on the machine or the remote.

Even if you initiate a copy with finalizing, the disc may not be finalized depending on a number of factors. You can still finalize the disc after the fact. When you try to eject the disc, the machine will prompt you if you want to finalize it. Hit Record to finalize. Finalizing is not an issue on +RW or RAM discs.

If you really want to create chapters, you'll have to use RAM. That's not necessarily such a bad thing. A lot of people like RAM discs. They're more reliable and longer lasting. The downside is that they're more expensive and not as compatible with other DVD players. You cannot, however, create the chapter marks while the copy is in progress. After the copy is finished, you can review the disc and add chapter marks wherever and whenever you want.

To clarify jjeff's response, it does take the machine several seconds to end one title and start the next, but while the machine is doing this, it runs the tape back and pre-rolls into the next title. When you play the disc, you can actually see the same few seconds of video from the end of the previous title repeated at the beginning of the next title.

You can adjust the tracking during a copy.

I don't know if the 485 is exclusive to Costco, but my understanding is that the only difference is that the 485 comes with an HDMI cable. I would be interested to find out if the machine in the 485 box actually says "485" on it or "48".
post #83 of 1573 Old 04-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Liked: 20
Sam's sells it, too.
post #84 of 1573 Old 04-24-2008, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

You know, jjeff, I wonder how much the declining dollar has to do with this. Given the poor value of the US dollar for foreign goods it may be that Panasonic can't sell a low volume item, like a HDD DVDR, here in the US for a price people are wiling to pay and still make any money. The Euro is pretty strong right now so Europe gets the goods -- same goes for Canada.

It really has nothing to do with value of US dollar. It has to do with the market. Almost nobody will buy HDD SD recorders here where everything is switching to HD. I checked the price of DMR-EX98V which is like EZ48 with 250GB HDD. MSRP there is 599.99 UK pounds ($1148.36 US) and on internet you can buy it for 479.99 pounds which is $947.49 US as of today's exchange rate. DMR-EX88 which is like EZ28 but with 400GB HDD has msrp price of 499.99 UK pounds ($986.20 US). You can buy ion internet for 405 UK pounds which is $799 US. At these prices you would have to be crazy to pay this much for SD recorder. In Canada Panasonic will not have HDD recorders anymore. They are selling out EH55. The only reason they still had this model in Canada, is because after digital mandate tuner in US, all the recorders that were not sold in US got shipped there.

The good news is that we should get Blu-ray recoders here next year. Some should have HDD in them also.
post #85 of 1573 Old 04-24-2008, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKNA View Post

It really has nothing to do with value of US dollar. It has to do with the market. Almost nobody will buy HDD SD recorders here where everything is switching to HD. I checked the price of DMR-EX98V which is like EZ48 with 250GB HDD. MSRP there is 599.99 UK pounds ($1148.36 US) and on internet you can buy it for 479.99 pounds which is $947.49 US as of today's exchange rate. DMR-EX88 which is like EZ28 but with 400GB HDD has msrp price of 499.99 UK pounds ($986.20 US). You can buy ion internet for 405 UK pounds which is $799 US. At these prices you would have to be crazy to pay this much for SD recorder. In Canada Panasonic will not have HDD recorders anymore. They are selling out EH55. The only reason they still had this model in Canada, is because after digital mandate tuner in US, all the recorders that were not sold in US got shipped there.

I think your line of reasoning lost its way here?

You actually make the point of the declining U.S. dollar... that's WHY they cost so much in U.S. dollars! Imagine if the U.S. dollar was STRONG and on a par with the UK pound? That'd make the 479.99 UK pound unit cost $479.99, a price many people would pay in the U.S. compared to the $947.49 in your example.
post #86 of 1573 Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I think your line of reasoning lost its way here?

You actually make the point of the declining U.S. dollar... that's WHY they cost so much in U.S. dollars! Imagine if the U.S. dollar was STRONG and on a par with the UK pound? That'd make the 479.99 UK pound unit cost $479.99, a price many people would pay in the U.S. compared to the $947.49 in your example.

It does not matter, because even at the strongest 1 UK pound was about 1.5 US dollar. (US dollar was never ever on par with UK pound)At that rate 479.99 UK pounds comes to 720 US dollars. It would still very expansive, more than double what EZ48 is at $299.99 MSRP.
post #87 of 1573 Old 04-25-2008, 03:21 AM

Mine says: DMR-EZ485V DIGA

I got the DMR-EZ485V at Sam’s for $277
Sleek design
Great on features and picture quality
Poor on access time.
Manual was ok.
Remote was okay, but I find it easy now.

Setup was easy. Came with HDMI
My setup was easy, right now only
Sony 52 HDTV.

I didn’t like it at first. The manual had a follow
the steps pattern, but the writing in some places
could have been clearer. (Maybe I was just tired).

I was looking for a unit that would record my VCR
tapes to DVD. It does this fine, and the quality from
the old VCR recording depends on the recording
made at the time of taping.

I like to record to VCR tape first, because I like
to tape cooking shows and it allows me to
edit what I want to DVD. Of course I cannot
record My HD programs, but the quality of
VCR taping of the analog channels is improved.

Playing Store bought VCR cassettes was
good in quality, same for DVD, but it wouldn’t
accept a BluRay disc. (Waiting for the player).

It has a digital tuner so I can record from
HD channels to DVD.

The thing about this unit is that it has a lot
of features on board and making all these
connections takes time, I guess. If you don’t
have patience and want to do things fast,
this thing will tick you off. I found, as someone
mentioned that using the sub menu to
select DVD, VCR etc was easier for me
that cycling through the change drive button.

I used the USB connection and played my
mp3’s. Haven’t tried to connect my digital
camera. I have to check if I have the right
connections, but it’s supposed to hook up
to a camcorder.

I put it on low power and it still starts up
in a minute or so. Not so good if you want
to record a program NOW. On low power
I don’t have the front screen lit up. Great
for me since it’s in my bedroom.

In the manual it says you can eject the disc
from the remote by pressing stop for 3 seconds.

To me the Navigator window reminds me of
the old dos select screens. Basic, not fancy,
but it does the trick. Things should improve
in future models, but for me, utility wins over speed.

Conclusion:
You can always watch your old VCR tapes and
once you get used to it, it’s fine.

Margarita
post #88 of 1573 Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita007 View Post

Mine says: DMR-EZ485V DIGA

Thank you.

Quote:

And be aware that once TV goes digital you won't be able to record anything on tape except from an external source.

Quote:

I found, as someone
mentioned that using the sub menu to
select DVD, VCR etc was easier for me
that cycling through the change drive button.

Marry me.

Quote:

In the manual it says you can eject the disc
from the remote by pressing stop for 3 seconds.

That only works for tapes, not discs.
post #89 of 1573 Old 04-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:

I just record to -RW's in XP or fastest speed possible for length. Then I finalize the disc and play it in my DVD player connected to my DVDR line input. I then copy only the parts I want to a new DVD.
Basically what you're doing but requires a DVD player. I also get much better PQ avoiding the VHS part. Just something to think about when you no longer can record analog TV to your VHS.
post #90 of 1573 Old 04-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Have just started using the EZ-48V. When I select the 4:3 TV screen size, the only Panny output option is 480i, not very clear PQ (I am feeding a Sony XBR 1080i capable set from the Panny's component outputs). When I select 16:9 screen size, I can pick 1080i output, and the PQ is much better, but 4:3 sources are letterboxed and distorted (faces are wide). Don't know why Panny won't let me have 1080i output in 4:3 screen size. I am thinking the poor 480i PQ has something to do with downconversion/upconversion, or maybe my use of the component outputs only? I may try S-video, which I would normally think of as yielding lower PQ.

Recording is pretty straightforward using the Scheduled Recording function, and PQ seems as good as the original broadcast (using DVD-RW).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page