Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1568 Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I'm pretty sure the max component res. on the panny is 480. You may be selecting 1080, but that only goes to the HDMI output. So 16:9 480 will be stretched (4:3 won't be). HDMI 1080 16:9, with 4:3 letterbox should be fine, provided you hook it up. If you're like me and short on HDMI inputs, use component for your cable/sat box to your tv, and HDMI for the panny. I can't tell any difference between component and HDMI on my sat box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1568 Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I just record to -RW's in XP or fastest speed possible for length. Then I finalize the disc and play it in my DVD player connected to my DVDR line input. I then copy only the parts I want to a new DVD.
Basically what you're doing but requires a DVD player. I also get much better PQ avoiding the VHS part. Just something to think about when you no longer can record analog TV to your VHS.

So would it work if I use a +RW DVD and hook up
my Magnavox DVD combo and input it into the Panny?

M
post #93 of 1568 Old 04-26-2008, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenfran View Post

Have just started using the EZ-48V. When I select the 4:3 TV screen size, the only Panny output option is 480i, not very clear PQ (I am feeding a Sony XBR 1080i capable set from the Panny's component outputs). When I select 16:9 screen size, I can pick 1080i output, and the PQ is much better, but 4:3 sources are letterboxed and distorted (faces are wide). Don't know why Panny won't let me have 1080i output in 4:3 screen size. I am thinking the poor 480i PQ has something to do with downconversion/upconversion, or maybe my use of the component outputs only? I may try S-video, which I would normally think of as yielding lower PQ.

Recording is pretty straightforward using the Scheduled Recording function, and PQ seems as good as the original broadcast (using DVD-RW).

When I select 4:3 on my EZ-28 it has no effect on whether it upconverts or not. I just selected 4:3 and I could still output 1080i. Note if you're outputting to component make sure you have HDMI priority OFF, otherwise it will not be able to upconvert to component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I'm pretty sure the max component res. on the panny is 480. You may be selecting 1080, but that only goes to the HDMI output. So 16:9 480 will be stretched (4:3 won't be). HDMI 1080 16:9, with 4:3 letterbox should be fine, provided you hook it up. If you're like me and short on HDMI inputs, use component for your cable/sat box to your tv, and HDMI for the panny. I can't tell any difference between component and HDMI on my sat box.

Not if you turn off HDMI priority. When you do that you can indeed upconvert all "unfinalized" discs to component. No finalized or commercial discs though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margarita007 View Post

So would it work if I use a +RW DVD and hook up
my Magnavox DVD combo and input it into the Panny?

M

Yes that would also work and would have the advantage that you would not have to finalize the -RW to get it to play in your player. The disadvantage of +RW's in Pannys is that they create discs that visually search "weird". That is they have 2x, 4x and then the next search speed is something like 1000x. Each second jumps something like 5 min. Very irritating and un-handy. If you don't plan on visually searching your +RW disc, or are ok with 4x then by all means use the +RW's.
post #94 of 1568 Old 04-29-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:

I just record to -RW's in XP or fastest speed possible for length. Then I finalize the disc and play it in my DVD player connected to my DVDR line input. I then copy only the parts I want to a new DVD.
Basically what you're doing but requires a DVD player. I also get much better PQ avoiding the VHS part. Just something to think about when you no longer can record analog TV to your VHS.

Tomorrow I'm gonna pull out the Magnavox and hook it up.
It doesn't have any HDMI output so I will use the component
cables, am I justing hooking up the Mag to the Panny? That's
all?

M
post #95 of 1568 Old 04-29-2008, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, take the line output of your Maggy, S-video would be best(composite would also work) and L/R audio.
After you record your original program to your +RW disc take it out of your Panny and put it in your Maggy. Select the correct line input on your Panny, push play on Maggy followed by REC on Panny. Pause the Panny when you want to cut things out.
You should get better PQ doing this vs. using your VHS in the loop.
post #96 of 1568 Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 AM

Well, all I have is a COMPONENT cable, I don't have S-video or composite cables. I thought component was best with S-video next, and composite last for video quality...

I hooked component out (Maggy) to component out (Panny). I selected IN1. I have sound from the disc in the Maggy, but no video. I know component carries the video in the red, blue, and green connectors and the audio in the two red and yellow connects.hmmmmm

I don't see any place else they would hook up to, can you give me a hint?

Probably gonna feel dumb when I find out what the problem is...

M
post #97 of 1568 Old 04-30-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

...I hooked component out (Maggy) to component out (Panny). I selected IN1...

Unless that line was a typo, think MAGNETS - Opposites attract; Likes repel.
  • OUT = SENDER (Source)
  • IN = RECEIVER (Recorder)
Quote:

...all I have is a COMPONENT cable, I don't have S-video or composite cables. I thought component was best with S-video next, and composite last for video quality...

AFAIK (and I *AM* a NEWBIE regarding this HDTV / LCD / Plasma 'stuff'), only televisions (and A/V Switches) have COMPONENT IN. You may need to buy some more cables.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #98 of 1568 Old 04-30-2008, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Margarita007-Yes component is best but due to Hollywood(CP paronoia) their are no current DVDR's with component inputs. That's why I suggested S-in, which is the best available input to DVDR's, followed by composite. Since you have component cables you could use those 3 cables. One for the yellow composite video cable and the other 2 for the audio L & R.
Again take video out Maggy(either composite or S-video) then run that to your Panny input.
post #99 of 1568 Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 PM

Bought the DMR-EZ48V from BB. (My thanks to the poster who pointed out the 10% coupon). I'm pleased with it, so far. Tuner sensitivity is good, but not as sensitive as the CECB's I've been experimenting with- but is better than the EZ47 that preceded it. The unit seems to be superior to the EZ47 in most respects, especially the HDMI implementation, and disc record quality. The upconvert works well, through the HDMI interface.

The USB interface is a godsend. Hopefully, firmware updates will be available for this unit, loadable through the USB.

Programming recordings is VCR simple. Just like most VCR's the unit must be turned off after programming the recording. I suspect Panasonic did this for the older set of users (of which I am becoming, reluctantly).

For the first time, discs from a high end SDTV DVD recorder were readable in my two lowly Magnavox SDTV DVD/VCR combos- in all modes. So, the EZ48 stays.

Negatives:

You can take a bathroom break in the time it takes the unit to boot up.

Channel change is 2-4 seconds.

No program guide. There is a Now/Next function available through the Status button.

No signal strength meter for the ATSC tuner. Snarl!

I suspect that this is as good as an SDTV recorder is going to get (particularly with VHS included), until the market replaces them wholly with HD units. Since HD is not a mission-critical priority for me (particularly with the HDMI upconvert), I will be replacing the Magnavoxes as time and budget allow. This unit does the job.
post #100 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSplice View Post

Programming recordings is VCR simple. Just like most VCR's the unit must be turned off after programming the recording. I suspect Panasonic did this for the older set of users (of which I am becoming, reluctantly).

If you read back through this thread or some of the other EZ series threads you will see that this is a sore point with most of us. The fact that the recorder has to be off in order to start a scheduled recording cripples the chase-play feature.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #101 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No signal strength meter for the ATSC tuner. Snarl!

I agree with basically all you said but as kelson said I think it's unforgivable that the unit has to be OFF to start a scheduled event. It just baffles me. As far as the signal strength meter it DOES have one for ATSC, just not QAM. Not sure if you mixed them up but to get to the ATSC signal strength meter just push DISPLAY button then select OTHER and it will be their. A nice % signal strength meter.
BTW if you enable Quick Start in the menu it will shave about 30 seconds off the startup time and if you use RAM discs it will shave off another 20 seconds or so. With a combination of the 2 the unit starts up quite quickly. Note I don't like QS on since it's basically like leaving the unit on all the time, draws about the same power and most of the time I don't use RAM's so I like you have to wait for what seems forever for it to boot up.
post #102 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 PM

PinkSplice - 'Programming recordings is VCR simple' (quote - post #99), and perhaps easier than most VCR's. However, stopping a scheduled recording in progress could not be done on my EZ475V (Costco), even after being advised by Panasonic tech support to press 'STOP' on the main unit, not on the remote. I exchanged the EZ475 for an EZ485 and will try again. Ironically, all of my VCR's (for over 25 years) had a 'TIMER' button which was used to start or stop timer/program recordings. So, it seems rather strange that Panasonic did not make 'stopping scheduled recording in progress' VCR SIMPLE.
post #103 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:

I agree with basically all you said but as kelson said I think it's unforgivable that the unit has to be OFF to start a scheduled event. It just baffles me. As far as the signal strength meter it DOES have one for ATSC, just not QAM. Not sure if you mixed them up but to get to the ATSC signal strength meter just push DISPLAY button then select OTHER and it will be their. A nice % signal strength meter.
BTW if you enable Quick Start in the menu it will shave about 30 seconds off the startup time and if you use RAM discs it will shave off another 20 seconds or so. With a combination of the 2 the unit starts up quite quickly. Note I don't like QS on since it's basically like leaving the unit on all the time, draws about the same power and most of the time I don't use RAM's so I like you have to wait for what seems forever for it to boot up.

Thank you.
post #104 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

If you read back through this thread or some of the other EZ series threads you will see that this is a sore point with most of us. The fact that the recorder has to be off in order to start a scheduled recording cripples the chase-play feature.

I did see that. Did not want to start a war.
post #105 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 10:01 PM

I just read through my posts on the old EZ47 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13776435

It seems they addressed most of what was wrong with that unit. The EZ 48 that is the current unit also does NOT have the lag on captioning that the EZ47 did. The new unit's captioning is in sync, both locally and on other players.

Edit: I tested to confirm.
post #106 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEZO View Post

PinkSplice - 'Programming recordings is VCR simple' (quote - post #99), and perhaps easier than most VCR's. However, stopping a scheduled recording in progress could not be done on my EZ475V (Costco), even after being advised by Panasonic tech support to press 'STOP' on the main unit, not on the remote. I exchanged the EZ475 for an EZ485 and will try again. Ironically, all of my VCR's (for over 25 years) had a 'TIMER' button which was used to start or stop timer/program recordings. So, it seems rather strange that Panasonic did not make 'stopping scheduled recording in progress' VCR SIMPLE.

No, no timer button. I will lie down on the nearest set of active railroad tracks to expiate my dishonor.
post #107 of 1568 Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

Signal strength meter works, as described. Thanks. Wonder why it was not included with the other information called up by the STATUS button?
post #108 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Margarita007-Yes component is best but due to Hollywood(CP paronoia) their are no current DVDR's with component inputs. That's why I suggested S-in, which is the best available input to DVDR's,

Again take video out Maggy(either composite or S-video) then run that to your Panny input.

I took your advice. I went into my electronic junk box and actually found an S-video cable, soI hooked that up and selected the 1IN,and everything on the Maggy came up,sound, video, so I pressed play and then record on the Panny, but I keep getting a message that there might be something
wrong with the disc and it would power down and start a check.

I tried this with several discs, both +R and with +R/W (I know to create a top menu), and the same thing.

I let it do a check which ran about an hour, so I finally just unplugged it. I'm running the check again now, but I'm sure I will have to unplug it.the check is just a bunch of zeros running across the display. ???

(Good thing I love a good puzzle)
post #109 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did see that. Did not want to start a war.

Not a war, just an additional comment. We don't start wars here.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #110 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

stopping a scheduled recording in progress could not be done on my EZ475V (Costco), even after being advised by Panasonic tech support to press 'STOP' on the main unit, not on the remote. I exchanged the EZ475 for an EZ485 and will try again.

Is this really true that you cannot stop a scheduled recording on the EZ-48. On my E-85, in order to stop a scheduled recording, you first have to turn the unit on. You then press the stop button on the remote once which brings up a "confirm" dialog on the screen (so you have to have the TV input switched to be viewing the recording in progress). Then it requires you to press the enter button to confirm the stop. Maybe you still have to go through something like that in order to prevent an accidental stop.

- kelson h

post #111 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Kelson, not sure about the EZ-48 but on my EZ-28 and all previous Pannys you stop a scheduled event just the way you described and it works fine. I would think the DVD section of the EZ-48 would be the same but I can't say about the VHS section. I would think for sure a person would need to select the VHS section before trying to stop the recording.
post #112 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kelson, not sure about the EZ-48 but on my EZ-28 and all previous Pannys you stop a scheduled event just the way you described and it works fine. I would think the DVD section of the EZ-48 would be the same but I can't say about the VHS section. I would think for sure a person would need to select the VHS section before trying to stop the recording.

Ah, wait. I was assuming the converstion was about stopping a recording to DVD. So, that might not be true here? Are we talking about stopping a recording to the VCR section? If that's the case I have no experience base to draw upon.

- kelson h

post #113 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM

Kelson and jjeff - thank you for trying to help. Yes, my problem is stopping VHS scheduled recording in progress, not DVD. The manual says - 'select drive, press STOP, then OK'. I was advised by Panasonic tech to press STOP on the main unit, not the remote, but that did not work either. I have only had my EZ485 for 2 days, so I will try again tonight.
post #114 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never tried stopping a VHS timer recording on my ES-30's. In fact I don't think I've ever timer recorded to VHS. I'll give it a try tonight to see if it can be stopped. Again this will be on a ES-30 but it's worth a shot.
post #115 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Panasonic DVDR Gurus:

Is this another "Panasonic DVDR Owners Inside Tip"?
Quote:

...I tried this with several discs, both +R and with +R/W (I know to create a top menu), and the same thing...

I created my first DVD+R/W last night (DMR-EZ17) to see the "FF Bug" (2X and 10X are OK; 30X, 70X and 200X FLY BY!). Interestingly, there seems to be no FR Bug.

I didn't, nor do I currently know how to, create a Top Menu on this DVD. What other 'differences' do I need to know about DVD +R and +R/W disks? LINK(s)?

Quote:

...so I pressed play and then record on the Panny, but I keep getting a message that there might be something wrong with the disc and it would power down and start a check...

What conditions would cause the DVDR to run a "CHECK"?

Based on my "limited" DVDR experience, I can't see Margarita007's problem having anything to do with recording from IN1 but more towards an un-formatted or insufficient free space disk.

Thanks!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #116 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Panasonic DVDR Gurus:

I didn't, nor do I currently know how to, create a Top Menu on this DVD. What other 'differences' do I need to know about DVD +R and +R/W disks? LINK(s)?
----------
Based on my "limited" DVDR experience, I can't seeMargarita007's problem having anything to do with recording from IN1 but more towards an un-formatted or insufficient free space disk.

Thanks!

No, the problem is not with the input, that works
fine.

My disks are formatted and have a created top
menu, so the problem is with the player recognizing
the disks. (There is nothing wrong with the disks, so
I'm assuming it's the player. It also would not
record some TV programs and said that copyrighted
material could not be copied, but it was only the
channel 9 news! I hit the channel up and down
buttons at the same time to reset and then it
started working okay....

To create a top menu, go to
Functions,
Disk maintenance
and down arrow to create top menu
(so the disk will play in other players)
This is for the +RW disks (you can record many times)

+R (record once) these are formatted when done.
post #117 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 01:35 PM

PS It doesn't have a hard drive,
so that would not be a factor

M
post #118 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kelson and jjeff - thank you for trying to help. Yes, my problem is stopping VHS scheduled recording in progress, not DVD. The manual says - 'select drive, press STOP, then OK'. I was advised by Panasonic tech to press STOP on the main unit, not the remote, but that did not work either. I have only had my EZ485 for 2 days, so I will try again tonight.

I realize this is a different machine but at least on my EZ-30 I am able to stop a VHS recording just like a DVD event. On the ES machines to stop a scheduled recording one need only hit stop followed by enter. On the EZ's one must push stop followed by pushing the arrow key once to the left then enter(one more step).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Panasonic DVDR Gurus:

Is this another "Panasonic DVDR Owners Inside Tip"?

I created my first DVD+R/W last night (DMR-EZ17) to see the "FF Bug" (2X and 10X are OK; 30X, 70X and 200X FLY BY!). Interestingly, there seems to be no FR Bug.

What conditions would cause the DVDR to run a "CHECK"?

Not sure what the FR bug is? but I'd call the search speed thing with +RW discs to be more a quirk. Note this also happens to unfinalized +R discs. Once the +R disc is finalized though it searches fine.
Creating a top menu is done just like finalizing. Go into the functions menu then disc management then select create top menu.
Other than the search speed thing and the fact that you don't have to finalize the +RW disc to get it to play in another DVD player, the + and - discs act similar.
Given a choice for the same price I'd choose the - discs, but if I got a super deal on some +R's I guess I'd probably get some. I really dislike the +RW's though because of the search speed thing and the fact that their is no way to correct it. I use 30x or 70x most all the time.

Self check is really a bad thing. Usually caused by a disc failure. Most of the times I've got self check it wipes out whatever I have recorded on my R disc and makes it so I can never finalize it. If I get it on a RW or RAM it almost always requires reformatting the disc, which again wipes out everything.
If you hear grinding before the self check it most likely needs the spindle to be cleaned. That's when I've gotten self check. After I clean the spindle I don't get it for a long time after. Note though once the R disc has had a self check happen to it I can basically never finalize it, even with a clean spindle. It's playable only on my Panny DVDR's. I have maybe a 1/2 dozen discs that have material on it but cannot be finalized.
post #119 of 1568 Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Thank you, jjeff and Kelson. I was able to stop/cancel a VHS scheduled recording in progress for the first time this evening on my new EZ485. As soon as I pressed the STOP button on my remote a 'confirmation screen' appeared which allowed me to select 'cancel' by pressing the left arrow key. The 'confirmation screen' never appeared on my EZ475.

One other question - I have been using T-160 VHS cassettes to record tennis matches in EP for 8 hours. What DVD (double-sided?) do you recommend for an 8 hour recording of tennis in EP? Thank you.
post #120 of 1568 Old 05-03-2008, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Panny's do allow 8hrs per standard DVD but the PQ is rather poor. LP is 4hrs/disc or 4hrs/side of a double sided RAM disc but for the cost most people would rather just use (2) single sided discs since you have to manually flip the RAM over anyway. Only RAMS come double sided. If you want to keep the recording your cheapest alternative would to be use + or -(if you can find them) DL discs. In the LP speed they will give you a little less than 8hrs/disc and then you don't have to flip them over. They will record in one shot. If you really need the full 8hrs you could use FR set for 8hrs. That would be in what I would call about a FR4.1 speed. Which "may" give you full resolution but will tend to macroblock with fast movement. I say "may" because I'm not positive if Pannys drop resolution at speeds even only a little above LP or not. Actually you may be better if it does drop resolution. Maybe that way you'd get less macroblocking but at the expense of less resolution.

You could try experimenting using a rerecordable disc setting the FR for 4hr 10 min/disc and then stop the recording. Next try recording in straight LP. Then compare the 2 and see what you prefer.

I personally like to stick to <3 hrs/disc to reduce macroblocing and haven't really pushed the 4hr time using FR. I do use EP6 or even EP8 for the occasional talk show where PQ or macroblocking is not a concern.

Basically experiment and see what speed you like best. My father used EP8 quite frequently and didn't seem to mind the PQ. Of course at the time he had a old CRT 19" Sony TV. I think when he got his HD 20" Vizio he kinda regretted using it so much, but it's my guess he's actually watched few of what he recorded anyway It's too easy to record everything but actually never get time to watch it
Good luck!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page