Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1568 Old 02-28-2012, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just a question, my model has no USB input. How would i update firmware if somethig needed to be done to it? Do you insert a DVD?

Also i am starting to panic a little about it maybe not lasting. What are the common parts that fail on these? perhaps i should buy the spare parts now while i can? Where would i find the part numbers? is it just the DVD lasers that pack up? I have read about people buying fuses and fans. I imagine the fuses are nothing special but do the fans wear out. I guess the VCR side should be pretty good if i use it with care and it should last and maybe is more robust? Any rough idea what spare parts would cost? I am used to hunting all over the world to get the best price on that so i am not restricted to buying only through panasonic spares department. I guess it may almost get the the point where a second unit for parts may be a better option but i would really like to try and avoid that if i could. I wish electrical goods were good as they used to be and you knew they would last 20 years +
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1568 Old 02-28-2012, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I am used to hunting all over the world to get the best price ... I wish electrical goods were good as they used to be and you knew they would last 20 years +

That is why electronics are made so cheap and unreliable ... price sensitive consumers. If quality electronics were made, they would not sell because of the higher cost.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #1473 of 1568 Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 AM

I would pay good money for quality, i am not one of those people who only wants to buy cheap stuff because i dont want it to last 12 months and then thats it. What i was meaning was if spares were no longer available from Panasonic AU or US or were outrageously expensive direct from them for example, i would not give up. Currently trying to get a JVC remote from Russia. If i know the part numbers 9/10 times i can hunt something down.

With mobile phones you can buy replacement parts for them from ebay etc very cheapily. Tonnes of aftermarket bits available at cheap prices and your are not tied to buying a genuine $200 screen for your phone and can instead ic one up from china for $20. Are things like replacement lasers for DVD drives available from the asian market? I bet half the stuff is the same as genuine anyway and originates from the same chinese electronics factories. So i wonder if there is an aftermarket supplier for replacement lasers for DVD recorders?. Ok maybe they are not going to be quite as good as a real (insert brand name here) one, but at least it could get your dead recorder working again.
post #1474 of 1568 Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM

Liked: 10
Now my problematic EZ485 refuses to read any disc, irregardless of the source. Additionally, it shuts itself off after about 45 seconds, whether or not a disc (or VHS cassette) has been inserted. (It will play the cassette though until shutdown).

FWIW the cooling fan used to be very loud, now it's strangely quiet.

Any advice would be appreciated before I attempt to convince a Panasonic rep to fix it out of warranty.

Thanks.
post #1475 of 1568 Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 PM

Maybe the fan bearing/shaft is clogged with dust?

Has anyone had any problems with the VCR side of the EZ48V ?
post #1476 of 1568 Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Maybe the fan bearing/shaft is clogged with dust?

Has anyone had any problems with the VCR side of the EZ48V ?

The EZ47 is the 2007 model year version of the EZ48 first sold in 2008. Back in June 2010 I purchased (for $25) a little-used EZ47 that had a problematic VHS mechanism.

In this post and the two posts following it I describe the problem and the remedy bringing the EZ47 back to like-new condition:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18836371

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1477 of 1568 Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM

I can't figure out how to post a new question so am posting this as a reply to this question.

I have had the panasonic DMR-EZ48VK VCR/DVD player for several years and love it.

However, our cable company is switching to digital. The unit has a digital tuner but when I scan it only goes to channel 32 on the digital stations and just stops. I end up having to cut power to get the unit to respond.

There was a firmware update for the television but I have not seen anything for the vcr/dvd player and wondered if anyone knew anything about it or how to resolve the problem?
post #1478 of 1568 Old 03-07-2012, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by knahs View Post

However, our cable company is switching to digital. The unit has a digital tuner but when I scan it only goes to channel 32 on the digital stations and just stops. I end up having to cut power to get the unit to respond.

I'd try running the channel scan without the coax connected to see how far it gets. If it still freezes up at channel 32 it's a problem with your recorder. If the scan completes without coax you know there is something on your cable feed mucking up the scan. If it's the cable feed you might try disconnecting the coax during the scan just before it gets to 32 and reconnect it after 32.
post #1479 of 1568 Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 AM

I dont know if this is a new model or not but its got a HDD too

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...759/index.html

If only i had more $ These are not sold in Aus though.
post #1480 of 1568 Old 03-15-2012, 05:28 PM

For a couple of months now I've been using the DVD-RAM to act like a DVR, capturing newscasts and then later editing out little items of interest. These wind up as a collection of little clips on the DVD. As can be imagined, it doesn't take long to rack up quite a number of them.

Today I was preparing to edit one of the recordings and the system told me: "CANNOT DIVIDE. NUMBER OF RECORDINGS EXCEEDS THE LIMIT". There was still over 3 hours of recording time on the DVD-RAM, but apparently regardless of the amount of recording time, the system can only handle 99 files. HUH?!? Well, I didn't see anything about that in the manual, did I miss that? Is there any fix around this?

Unrelated question: Can someone talk about the Firmware DF-366, what does it do, what does it fix, and how is it different from DF-358?

Thanks,
James
post #1481 of 1568 Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 AM

On the subject of firmware, where is is available from? I am assuming its available from Panasonic sites and not something handed around on forums or has that has come out the back door of the factory or needs to be downloaded from torrent sites? I have no idea here. I have done software/firmware updates over the air but i thought all that does is update the tuner software with info from the broadcasting channels and is not anything actually from Panasonic? Thats the only firmware i am aware of. Because mine has no USB (not sure it has SD??) I assume if i was to update Panasonics operating system firmware i need to load it via a disc or do i need to take it to a service center and they open my device up and plug something into a port inside?

Panasonic Australias website is pretty hopless as you cant even download manuals for some current/recent items so i would not be surprised if theres no firmware downloadable either.
post #1482 of 1568 Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 AM

On the subject of firmware, where is is available from? I am assuming its available from Panasonic sites and not something handed around on forums or has that has come out the back door of the factory or needs to be downloaded from torrent sites? I have no idea here. I have done software/firmware updates over the air but i thought all that does is update the tuner software with info from the broadcasting channels and is not anything actually from Panasonic? Thats the only firmware i am aware of. Because mine has no USB (not sure it has SD??) I assume if i was to update Panasonics operating system firmware i need to load it via a disc or do i need to take it to a service center and they open my device up and plug something into a port inside?

Panasonic Australias website is pretty hopless as you cant even download manuals for some current/recent items so i would not be surprised if theres no firmware downloadable either.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/DVD...Z48V/Downloads

as i suspected, no firmware here
post #1483 of 1568 Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Panasonic Australias website is pretty hopless as you cant even download manuals for some current/recent items so i would not be surprised if theres no firmware downloadable either.

http://panasonic.com.au/Products/DVD...Z48V/Downloads

as i suspected, no firmware here

An Australian EZ48 is not the same as a North American EZ48 so firmware found on the Panasonic USA or Canada website should not be used for an Australian EZ48.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #1484 of 1568 Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

For a couple of months now I've been using the DVD-RAM to act like a DVR, capturing newscasts and then later editing out little items of interest. These wind up as a collection of little clips on the DVD. As can be imagined, it doesn't take long to rack up quite a number of them.

Today I was preparing to edit one of the recordings and the system told me: "CANNOT DIVIDE. NUMBER OF RECORDINGS EXCEEDS THE LIMIT". There was still over 3 hours of recording time on the DVD-RAM, but apparently regardless of the amount of recording time, the system can only handle 99 files. HUH?!? Well, I didn't see anything about that in the manual, did I miss that? Is there any fix around this?
Thanks,
James

I don't have an EZ48, but in my latest (EH59/69) Panasonic DVD recorder manual, it has this on the topic of maxamum titles allowable on each disk:
Quote:

[RAM] [-R] [-RWV]
≥You can record up to 99 titles on one disc.
[+R] [+RW]
≥You can record up to 49 titles on one disc.

I suspect it is an architectural limit of the disk--some table somewhere. Okay, I just downloaded a copy of the EZ48 manual, and on page 24, just above the header "VHS Recording Modes and Estimated Recording Time" it says:
Quote:

Maximum number of recordings recorded to a disc
[RAM] [-R] [-R]DL] [-RWV] 99 recordings on a disc
[+R] [+R]DL] [+RW] 49 recordings on a disc

The same numbers.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #1485 of 1568 Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 AM

Can you help me? For a DMR EZ485VK - I tried to enter Service Mode with STOP - VHS to DVD - Open Close and it never gets in to Service Mode. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.
post #1486 of 1568 Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslaterbox View Post

Can you help me? For a DMR EZ485VK - I tried to enter Service Mode with STOP - VHS to DVD - Open Close and it never gets in to Service Mode. Is there something I am missing? Thanks.

When the power is off, press [VHS to DVD COPYING], [OPEN/CLOSE] and [STOP] keys simultaneously for 5 seconds.

post #1487 of 1568 Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Thank you DigaDo - I will try it. Do I press these in that sequence order or try to press them all at the same time? I have the service manual and it does not say and this sequence is different. Thanks..
post #1488 of 1568 Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslaterbox View Post

Thank you DigaDo - I will try it. Do I press these in that sequence order or try to press them all at the same time? I have the service manual and it does not say and this sequence is different. Thanks..

The service manual reads "simultaneously."

post #1489 of 1568 Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Hi. You guys helped me with my last problem. Now I have a new problem

I put a dvd into the tray and now I can't remove it. I also can't play any tapes, switch to a different drive (stuck on VHS). Remote works somewhat (can switch channels, use vcr/tv button and check status). Can't view schedule or functions and can't turn on/off vcr with the remote. I have unplugged the unit but no success. Is there any way to eject the dvd manually and to fix this problem?
post #1490 of 1568 Old 06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65

With the recorder turned off, press the STOP button and Channel up (^) button simultaneously. holding down for at least 5 seconds. So plug back in, and and try that.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1491 of 1568 Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefloater View Post

Hi. You guys helped me with my last problem. Now I have a new problem
I put a dvd into the tray and now I can't remove it. I also can't play any tapes, switch to a different drive (stuck on VHS). Remote works somewhat (can switch channels, use vcr/tv button and check status). Can't view schedule or functions and can't turn on/off vcr with the remote. I have unplugged the unit but no success. Is there any way to eject the dvd manually and to fix this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

With the recorder turned off, press the STOP button and Channel up (^) button simultaneously. holding down for at least 5 seconds. So plug back in, and and try that.

Thank you. I tried that also and didn't work. I was able to get it working again. After I turned it off, multiple '0' s kept scrolling for about 20 minutes. I pressed the on button again and everything worked. I was able to eject my disc. Turns out the disc was bad because the same thing happened when I put the disc into another player.
post #1492 of 1568 Old 06-23-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

For future reference, these posts have photos of the DVD Drive disc tray manual release location(s) for Panasonic's 2006 and newer DVD Drives:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1068241/service-clinic-panasonic-dmr-ez47/0_60#post_16329197

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1068241/service-clinic-panasonic-dmr-ez47/0_60#post_14709306

post #1493 of 1568 Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 PM

Hi everyone ! I have a question about using USB sticks on my DMREZ48V . I've tried playing AVI & XVID files that I downloaded.
Sometimes they read and sometimes not. Sometimes the player says that there is no information on my stick at all.
Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong ? I've even used DIVX files and the same response. Can anyone help?eek.gif
post #1494 of 1568 Old 12-01-2012, 06:01 PM

You might want to look up if there is a size limit for DivX files on USB? Just a thought
post #1495 of 1568 Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks . I'll check it out .
post #1496 of 1568 Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM

yes, you have to set up the recording times and then turn off the recorder for it to "kick in and start recording"
post #1497 of 1568 Old 05-22-2013, 05:36 PM

I have the DMR-EZ485V that just started the clunk clunk, "NO READ" error. The spindle doesn't spin up at first, the laser just goes up and down, stops, then the hub turns twice. Then it says "NO READ and "check the disc". Happens with or without a disc inserted. I read somewhere else it is most likely the laser. Where can I get a relacement? Is "mickinct" still around? I'd rather buy a new recorder than pay someone to fix something I can fix (I fix all kinds of electronics, like Two-Way Radios and Computers, TV sets (CRT), etc..

I've had frequent freeze errors with this recorder, but better than the Samsung that died within 2 weeks (which Kmart put it back on the shelf for sale as "new" instead of sending it back. I took a sharpie and wrote on the box "defective drive, do not purchase. Returned as broken!")

My panasonic used to record to DVD+R, but I had to switch to DVD-R and just use the +R in my computer.

Scratched discs always freeze it, reqireing a reset.

Firmware is up to date.

Edit: Where can I download the Service Manual for it?
post #1498 of 1568 Old 05-22-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd6aaj View Post

I have the DMR-EZ485V that just started the clunk clunk, "NO READ" error. The spindle doesn't spin up at first, the laser just goes up and down, stops, then the hub turns twice. Then it says "NO READ and "check the disc". Happens with or without a disc inserted. I read somewhere else it is most likely the laser. Where can I get a relacement? Is "mickinct" still around? I'd rather buy a new recorder than pay someone to fix something I can fix (I fix all kinds of electronics, like Two-Way Radios and Computers, TV sets (CRT), etc..

I've had frequent freeze errors with this recorder, but better than the Samsung that died within 2 weeks (which Kmart put it back on the shelf for sale as "new" instead of sending it back. I took a sharpie and wrote on the box "defective drive, do not purchase. Returned as broken!")

My panasonic used to record to DVD+R, but I had to switch to DVD-R and just use the +R in my computer.

Scratched discs always freeze it, reqireing a reset.

Firmware is up to date.

I've addressed these matters here and elsewhere:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

post #1499 of 1568 Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As many of you in these threads know, I have a Panasonic DMR-EZ48V DVD recorder. This machine has an HDMI output. I have never seen what format the HDMI output generates since I have no HD sets. I am now in the market for my first HD set and I want to make sure I get one that will properly display the letterbox-format discs I've already recorded. My suspicion is that it stretches the 4:3 DVD image to 16:9. Can anyone confirm this? What does the Zoom function of the DVD recorder do with respect to the HDMI output? What other controls affect the format of the HDMI output?

I've downloaded several HDTV set manuals and they're all hopelessly lame at describing what their "Picture Format" controls actually do. I want to be able to connect my DVD recorder to the set via HDMI and adjust the picture so that the 16:9 portion of a letterboxed program will fill the screen. Can anyone guide me as to which sets have this capability?
post #1500 of 1568 Old 05-26-2013, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
You'll want a set that can zoom HD, not all can, many only zoom SD. I guess you could set your EZ-48v to output SD, you'd have to make sure it can output 480i from it's SD output, AFAIK all digital TVs can zoom SD.
AFA stretching 4:3 to 16:9, that should be a setting on your Panasonic called something like 4:3 FULL. This is the setting you want if your DVDs have been recorded as squished 16:9 but not for the postage stamp format that it sounds like your recordings are.
Again it's best to get a HDTV that can zoom HD, I use this feature frequently on my Sony and my LG does it but my Vizio and Samsung cannot zoom HD, only SD.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page