Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1568 Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Did you loop the video output to one of the line inputs? I've done that before and it acts very much like what you are describing.

Ken, thank you for that suggestion. It so happens, that I AM using S-video cables between two identical DMR-48's (from the output from the main unit, to the input of this unit, and vise versa). I had never considered that this wierd video thing I'm seeing might be some kind of feedback loop. Later on I will isolate this new unit, and see if the problem persists. Will keep you posted what I find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1568 Old 09-19-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

May I ask how much the part was and was it the whole drive or just the laser or assembly?
Haven't heard of your last issue, sure sounds weird eek.gif

Jeff,

You are one of the gurus on this site to whom I am grateful.

I swapped the whole drive. That wasn't my original intention. My original plan was to buy an extra drive so as to have it on hand for spare parts -- but then Panny wanted the 'dud' returned for core value, so I decided ok whatever, I'll go with that.

The basic website is: https://www.pstc.panasonic.com/Epartr/PartslistChoice.asp

Enter "DMR-EZ48V" on the right where it says "Search Parts by Model Number".

Hit Enter, then on the "Parts List for model DMR-EZ48V" page, scroll down a little less than halfway and you'll see the VXY-2010 drive, listed at $135.60.

Shipping is extra and depends of course on your location. The new drive arrived in about 4 days, and my total bill was about $160.

That got my unit working, and I'm happy.
post #1563 of 1568 Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

The new drive arrived in about 4 days, and my total bill was about $160.

That got my unit working, and I'm happy.

Ouch!

$184 for a defective eBay purchase.

Did you contact the seller for a partial refund or some kind of reimbursement?
I've had good luck getting refunds for damaged or broken items. Especially if the seller might have known of a potential problem.
The key is to be polite about it, no threats or accusations. Usually they are willing to work out a deal to avoid hassles or negative feedback.

For what you have invested in this unit, you could've bought a new import Panny HDD.
post #1564 of 1568 Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield View Post

Ken, thank you for that suggestion. It so happens, that I AM using S-video cables between two identical DMR-48's (from the output from the main unit, to the input of this unit, and vise versa). I had never considered that this wierd video thing I'm seeing might be some kind of feedback loop. Later on I will isolate this new unit, and see if the problem persists. Will keep you posted what I find.
If each unit is tuned to the line input from the other unit you will get stuck in a self repeating video loop. You probably don't need to isolate the new unit. If you select a different input or channel on either recorder everything should look normal again.
post #1565 of 1568 Old 09-19-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Now that Ken F mentions it I've also seen that video feedback loop screen, as you described it looks psychedelic like. Happens when the video output is connected to the input and you monitor the output, of course audio feedback produces the very annoying high pitched whine.
I checked your link for the price for a "drive"(which I assume is a DVD drive and not HDD drive) for my EH-55.........$448.59 eek.gif I have to laugh at corporate pricing, couldn't be $450 or even $448.50 but had to be $448.59 biggrin.gif Needless to say I won't be purchasing any spare drives for my Panasonic.
post #1566 of 1568 Old 02-06-2014, 12:58 PM

well, I guess I have gotten my life out of my panasonic DMR-ES46V. Just now really had problems - making the "clunking" noise - not always reading disc that had recorded shows on but not finalized.  I know it has to be DUSTY inside - because it sure is outside. Repair or replace? I tend to like to squeeze what is left out of my electronics and avoid the landfill.

post #1567 of 1568 Old 02-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
sent PM to member.

MickinCT
post #1568 of 1568 Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by salemtoes View Post

well, I guess I have gotten my life out of my panasonic DMR-ES46V. Just now really had problems - making the "clunking" noise - not always reading disc that had recorded shows on but not finalized.  I know it has to be DUSTY inside - because it sure is outside. Repair or replace? I tend to like to squeeze what is left out of my electronics and avoid the landfill.

If your still interested in using a DVDR I'd suggest taking mickinct up on his offer. Your ES-46V is one of the finest combos made, "they really don't make 'em like that anymore" :D

After being repaired hopefully you should get many more years out of it, Panasonic doesn't really make DVDRs anymore and ones made after yours were far inferior.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page