Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by travon802 View Post

Hello... I am new to DVD recorders (so excuse the newb question) and want to convert my tapes to DVD. I have a lot of tapes that aren't very long like less than 30 minutes. Would I be able to say combine 3 or more short tapes onto a single DVD? How would this be done? And how would I go about having the DVD record from where I left off?

DVD recorders aren't like your VCR tapes, they know where to start a new title, so you just have to insert a blank or unfinalized disc and press REC.

Here's some info on recording directly to DVD discs.

If you have a recorder with a Hard Disk Drive (HDD), you would record directly to the HDD where you could edit the video, then dub/copy one or more titles at a time to a DVD. You can do that in High-speed if the titles don't exceed the total size allowed on a single DVD.

Here's some info on High-speed dub/copy with a HDD recorder, like the one in my signature.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Would I be able to say combine 3 or more short tapes onto a single DVD? How would this be done? And how would I go about having the DVD record from where I left off?

One of the nice things about DVD recorders is they will never accidentally record over anything. Since DVD is a random access medium, the recorder will always seek to the end of the last recording when you start a new one.

You can transfer your programs one at a time. Just be sure that you specify not to finalize the disc after any transfer. After you are finished transferring everything that you want to put on the disc, then you can finalize the disc.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Hello... I am new to DVD recorders (so excuse the newb question) and want to convert my tapes to DVD. I have a lot of tapes that aren't very long like less than 30 minutes. Would I be able to say combine 3 or more short tapes onto a single DVD? How would this be done? And how would I go about having the DVD record from where I left off?

Considering the current market of combo recorders I would suggest using a VCR connected to an input of a DVD recorder or DVD/Hard Drive recorder (such as the Philips 3575 or 3576) for your project copying videotaped recordings to DVD. For the reasons I and many others have described, it's best to use the VCR that originally recorded your tapes for your project.

I have recently posted a description of my very large selective dubbing project here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13955310

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have decided to enjoy a dvd recorder. In reading the forums in this area,new vocabulary has been introduced to me,such as tuner,tunerless,s-video,composite,component. (hdmi) I understand. Mysetup is a choice of 2 tv's,each connected to the tv via a scientific atlanta cable box with Cox cable in las vegas. Both are hd tvs,one is a projection that is connected from the wall to the cable box and then a red,green,white,blue,red from the cable box to the tv. This cable box does not have an hdmi connection. The projection tv has one hdmi connector that at present is not used. The other tv is a panasonic crt 30 inch hd connected from the wall to the cable box and cable box hdmi to tv.It has one tuner no hd tuner,the cable box provides access to the hd stations. The projection tv has a regular and a hd tuner,but at present is powered by the cable box. The 3 dvd recorders that i am leaning too are the tosh r-410 ,the panasonic 48 model and the philips 3576. I am not clear on how to connect any of the 3 . Your help in understanding on how to connect the tosh,which is tunerless to either tv is appreciated. The same for the other 2 which appear to have tuners. I have no need for ability to play or record vcr and am a member of kiss (keep it simple xxxxxx) Do i go tuner or tunerless, and how to connect to either of the tv's without compromising my membership in KISS.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM

Hey guys. I just bought this unit, to replace my AWFUL Samsung DVR-330. I still have it, but it's total junk. I've had it over a year, and maybe have burned 10 DVD's with it. It was out of warranty before I realized that something was wrong with it. It just will not hardly accept ANY type of DVD you put in it. Even regular movies will get spit back out. I want to smash it with a hammer. But I'll keep it for not incase a fix comes up. It a HUGE waste of money.

So, this Panny seems really slick. The only thing I was disappointed about, was that i have a giant brick of DVD+RW discs that were editable on the Samsung. But on the Panny, it seems that you can only mark chapters on DVD-RAM discs. That is a major drag. Cuz now I have to burn whatever to a DVD, then put it in my computer, import it, chapter mark it, then burn it again. It's an incredible waste of time and DVD's.

I don't know anything about DVD-RAM. I did some research about it, and found you can buy a 5pack at Amazon for about $20, and that buying them in stores is next to impossible. Why would Panasonic make the coolest and best feature about DVD Records accessible only with obscure DVD's you can't find anywhere? Another thing I read was that RAM discs won't play in other DVD players, nor will they usually play on a Rom drive. So, I guess that means, that if I burn something to a RAM disc, i'm stuck playing it on this machine forever, since I can't burn it to a DVD-R on my computer. Is that right? The whole point of me getting one of these was to dump VHS tapes to DVD, make chapters, a simple menu, and toss my old VHS tapes. Most of my VHS tapes are bootleg concerts, etc. Nothing copy protected.

So, and advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Jason
Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoprock View Post

The whole point of me getting one of these was to dump VHS tapes to DVD, make chapters, a simple menu, and toss my old VHS tapes. Most of my VHS tapes are bootleg concerts, etc. Nothing copy protected.

Check out the Philips DVDR3576H/37, which has a 160GB HDD ideal for copying VCR tapes to then do simple editing and high-speed lossless dub to DVDs.

Click my signature for lots more organized info so you can pick and choose what you'd like to read.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:30 PM

Cool. I still have my receipt, and bought it at Sam's! I should just return it for the Phillips they have there and use my VHS player to dump stuff to it. Looks to be a much better sitch for what I want to do.

Thanks for the info!

Jason
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Just to be clear though, I would come out of my VHS into the Phillips, record whatever, then inside the Phillips I could trim off beginnings, endings (of any duration?), edit commericials out, create chapters, and a basic menu, then burn it to a DVD-R and be done? If that is the case, then SOLD. That's all I want to do really. I don't want to have to edit stuff on my Mac. I use a Mac, and everything that has to do with DVD editing on a Mac seems to much more difficult than on a PC, so I'd rather not mess with it.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Cool. I still have my receipt, and bought it at Sam's! I should just return it for the Phillips they have there and use my VHS player to dump stuff to it. Looks to be a much better sitch for what I want to do.

I think you'll be pleased.

If you plan on tossing your tapes, make sure you get high-quality DVD blanks like Verbatim at a local B&M or Taiyo Yuden premium online at supermediastore.com or rima.com.

Whatever disc you get, check the first one before dubbing to it using the 3576's unique (for a DVDR) built-in media ID (MID) utility, described at the bottom of this post. That section describes where to look to match the media code with 1st, 2nd and 3rd class media just so you don't start with 3rd class "landfill" material.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Check out the Philips DVDR3576H/37, which has a 160GB HDD ideal for copying VCR tapes to then do simple editing and high-speed lossless dub to DVDs.

Click my signature for lots more organized info so you can pick and choose what you'd like to read.

Aren't the Pannys universally acknowledged to have superior video quality on the LP mode (4 hours per DVD) compared to any other recorder? That is the one virtue that has me considering the Panny despite a couple of shortcomings like no VCR tracking during direct copies to DVD and no preservation of the anamorphic flag.

Aren't you giving up some video quality at the 4 hr setting with the Philips?
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Just to be clear though, I would come out of my VHS into the Phillips, record whatever, then inside the Phillips I could trim off beginnings, endings (of any duration?), edit commericials out, create chapters, and a basic menu, then burn it to a DVD-R and be done? If that is the case, then SOLD. That's all I want to do really. I don't want to have to edit stuff on my Mac. I use a Mac, and everything that has to do with DVD editing on a Mac seems to much more difficult than on a PC, so I'd rather not mess with it.

Thanks!
Jason

Yes, that's exactly what you'd do. A few simple "Scene Deletes" to cut opening, commercials and end, as described in this post.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

Aren't the Pannys universally acknowledged to have superior video quality on the LP mode (4 hours per DVD) compared to any other recorder? That is the one virtue that has me considering the Panny despite a couple of shortcomings like no VCR tracking during direct copies to DVD and no preservation of the anamorphic flag.

Aren't you giving up some video quality at the 4 hr setting with the Philips?

I dunno, could be?

All I know is my Philips 3575's 4-hr-EP recording from a digital HD channel, even tho downrezzed in my basic analog cable feed, look VERY GOOD!

I've even got the same VERY GOOD results using 3-hr-LP on a James Bond movie and 6-hr-SLP on a medical drama on that same digital channel in my analog feed.

FOOTBALL is a PITA... only good on ESPN-HD and only using the top 3 rec modes, basically. I rec one ESPN game in 3-hr-LP and medium and close shots were brilliant, but long shots showed very slightly hairy edges on moving players. But ESPN zooms in tighter very quickly, so play action still looks good at 3-hr-LP. Other networks just SUCK big time on most sports action.

I'd love to see how these same rec would turn out if I was receiving a Component OTA signal or a true digital cable signal (not the cableco's converted-to-analog "digital" signal)!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Hey guys. I just bought this unit, to replace my AWFUL Samsung DVR-330. I still have it, but it's total junk. I've had it over a year, and maybe have burned 10 DVD's with it. It was out of warranty before I realized that something was wrong with it. It just will not hardly accept ANY type of DVD you put in it. Even regular movies will get spit back out. I want to smash it with a hammer. But I'll keep it for not in case a fix comes up. It a HUGE waste of money.

So, this Panny seems really slick. The only thing I was disappointed about, was that i have a giant brick of DVD+RW discs that were editable on the Samsung. But on the Panny, it seems that you can only mark chapters on DVD-RAM discs. That is a major drag. Cuz now I have to burn whatever to a DVD, then put it in my computer, import it, chapter mark it, then burn it again. It's an incredible waste of time and DVD's.

I don't know anything about DVD-RAM. I did some research about it, and found you can buy a 5pack at Amazon for about $20, and that buying them in stores is next to impossible. Why would Panasonic make the coolest and best feature about DVD Records accessible only with obscure DVD's you can't find anywhere? Another thing I read was that RAM discs won't play in other DVD players, nor will they usually play on a Rom drive. So, I guess that means, that if I burn something to a RAM disc, i'm stuck playing it on this machine forever, since I can't burn it to a DVD-R on my computer. Is that right? The whole point of me getting one of these was to dump VHS tapes to DVD, make chapters, a simple menu, and toss my old VHS tapes. Most of my VHS tapes are bootleg concerts, etc. Nothing copy protected.

Jason

Jason-You sound like me with my Panasonic EZ-x7s. I was Sooo close at times to taking them out to my garage and letting them meet their maker with my 12lb sledge hammer while I would think the EZ-48 would be better than your Sammy(never had a Sammy DVDR though) in your case I might actually suggest the Philips.
This might be a rather funny analogy but I'd compare the new Pannys to something like a Italian or English sports car. They can be great when working but tend to be temperamental and maybe not the most reliable.
As far as your requirements for chapter marks, deleting scenes etc. a HDD model sounds like the way to go for you. RAM discs are great for time shifting, chase playing and high speed dubbing, but as you noted they are probably not the best media for archiving due to their cost and availability problems. Not to mention compatibility problems with non RAM playing machines.
I believe their are very few recorders that did what your Sammy did, that is allow you to add chapter marks to a +RW disc. I've never had a DVDR with that feature. If you get the Philips you can record to even less expensive and more compatible R media. My rather tech-less father is very happy with my old 3575. He doesn't use 1/2 of the 3575 features but really enjoys its reliability. Something he was always complaining about his Panasonics(lots of times compounded by his poor treatment of his DVDs). He's totally sold on the benefits of HDD recording. On a lesser note you'll also have better luck with your +RW using the Philips. Newer Pannys will begrudgingly record to +RW discs but have odd search speeds among other things. I believe the + format was invented by Philips, or at the least is its native format.

Highheater-PQ can be subjective. Some people consider Pannys to be overly noisy or blocky in their PQ and actually prefer the softer look of the Philips or other recorders that drop their resolution on speeds above 2hrs vs. Panasonic which keeps full resolution all the way to 4 hrs/disc. While I rarely use 4hrs/disc on my Pannys anymore due to the blockieness during scenes with lots of fast movement, I find I can get 2 1/2-3 hrs/disc of very good quality recordings on my Pannys. Since many of my events fall in that time range I really like Panasonics. I was not happy that my 3575 dropped resolution on speeds above 2hrs/disc. I also really like the FR or flexible record mode available on only Panasonics and Pioneers, I believe. Using FR on Pannys you can fit anywhere between 1-8hrs/disc, allowing you to maximize the disc space. I use FR almost all the time.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Highheater-PQ can be subjective. Some people consider Pannys to be overly noisy or blocky in their PQ and actually prefer the softer look of the Philips or other recorders that drop their resolution on speeds above 2hrs vs. Panasonic which keeps full resolution all the way to 4 hrs/disc. While I rarely use 4hrs/disc on my Pannys anymore due to the blockieness during scenes with lots of fast movement, I find I can get 2 1/2-3 hrs/disc of very good quality recordings on my Pannys. Since many of my events fall in that time range I really like Panasonics. I was not happy that my 3575 dropped resolution on speeds above 2hrs/disc. I also really like the FR or flexible record mode available on only Panasonics and Pioneers, I believe. Using FR on Pannys you can fit anywhere between 1-8hrs/disc, allowing you to maximize the disc space. I use FR almost all the time.

Thanks for your comments. Nice to hear from someone with experience with both recorders.

I do want to archive a library of VHS tapes, but am not as fanatical about editing issues. Just want to get what is on tape onto a disk. Most of the unedited football games would probably need the 4 hours speed. So I could pass on the editing benefits of the DVR, especially if picture quality wasn't as good. My major concern is the lack of tracking control on the VHS side when dubbing to DVD. I've read some of the thread on internal vs external dubbing.

The other concern is recording 16:9 to DVD-R. Specifically, in my case, recording widescreen content from my Direct TV HR21 DVR to a Panny DVD recorder. The manual doesn't explicity say this can be done (only to DVD-RAM) but I've been told that I can go ahead and record 16:9 and it will play properly on a widescreen TV. But since the anamorphic flag is not preserved on the Pannys, this content would be squished rather than letterboxed for play later on a 4:3 set (Someone please correct me if this wrong).

So the VHS tapes will be all 4:3, but new content will be 16:9. So its been a little confusing to me exactly what each content will look like on either type of TV after recording with a Panny DVD recorder (and yes I've read many posts on the subject).

My general take is that this would have been a hell of a lot easier if the Panny just preserved the anamorphic flag like the Sonys.

Anyways, thanks for your comments about the 4 hours video quality of the Pannys as that is probably the ultimate factor for my decision.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Well, I returned the Panny and got the Phillips DVDR3576H. I think I'll be VERY happy with it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Too bad about the Panny though. I'm sure it's a nice unit, but I don't think it suits my specific needs. I clearly do not think it's for the archivist looking to back up VHS tapes. This new HDD unit should do the trick perfectly.

Someone said to me at the store, "Well can't you just burn your movie to DVD+RW, import it to your computer, then fix the tracks up, then burn it to a DVD-R and then erase and reuse your +RW?" My response was, "Well yeah, but why do all that work? I want to make simple DVD's with simple menus from my living room chair. If I wanted to edit video all day on my PC, I'd just pass thru my camcorder. I want a once and done type thing." But for special DVD's, where I may want a fancy menu, etc, I can import it to my PC and fix it up with Ulead or something.

Thanks guys!
Jason
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My major concern is the lack of tracking control on the VHS side when dubbing to DVD. I've read some of the thread on internal vs external dubbing.

The other concern is recording 16:9 to DVD-R. Specifically, in my case, recording widescreen content from my Direct TV HR21 DVR to a Panny DVD recorder. The manual doesn't explicity say this can be done (only to DVD-RAM) but I've been told that I can go ahead and record 16:9 and it will play properly on a widescreen TV. But since the anamorphic flag is not preserved on the Pannys, this content would be squished rather than letterboxed for play later on a 4:3 set (Someone please correct me if this wrong).

So the VHS tapes will be all 4:3, but new content will be 16:9. So its been a little confusing to me exactly what each content will look like on either type of TV after recording with a Panny DVD recorder (and yes I've read many posts on the subject).

I can't specifically comment about the tracking control on the EZ-48 but I can say on my Panasonic ES-30 I can indeed manually track my tapes even when dubbing to the DVDR. Maybe someone else can specifically comment about the EZ-48. Personally I wouldn't use the front panel buttons for dubbing or even the menu initiated method. What I do on my ES-30 and I understand the EZ-48 is similar, is to use the single machine like 2 separate machines.
First I play the VHS and get the tracking right. Then I rewind the tape to the point I want to start the recording. Next I select the input to the VHS side to a unused input, something line line 2(what this does is is prevent you from recording to DVD some of the tuner output of the VHS if you start your DVDR recording too soon or the tape stops for some reason, it would only record a black screen instead of a TV program). Next I push VHS on the remote and work with the DVDR side. I select TP for the input for the DVDR. Next hit REC or if using FR I set the FR recording time I want and hit enter. The DVDR will start recording. Next I quickly push play on the VHS side. You should see the VHS playing. Lastly I push DVD again since when you push PLAY on the VHS side the machine automatically goes into the VHS output mode. I prefer to watch the VHS output through the DVDR since that tells me exactly what the DVDR is recording.
I hope this made sense and I believe this method would work with a EZ-48. Since the EZ-48 only has one common display to see the elapsed time of your VHS you will need to push VHS on your remote. The ES-30 had 2 separate displays which made things easier. I believe the ES-30 was one of the last Pannys to have the 2 displays(if not the only one?).
I suppose a advantage of leaving the machine in the VHS mode during your dub would be that you could adjust the tracking if necessary(or possible). On my ES-30 I use the CH up or CH down buttons on either the main unit(VHS side) or remote to adjust the tracking. On my ES-30 once the manual tracking has been evoked the unit will not autotrack again until you push the CH up and CH down(at the same time) on either the unit(VHS side) or the remote.
I hope the above procedures work on the EZ-48, I could stand to be corrected by someone who actually has one and can follow my method.
My method might sound a little complicated but it gives me more flexibility than either the front panel or menu mode of dubbing.

On your second question about 16:9 and 4:3, the big catch their is whether your STB can output 16:9 full screen to it's S-video outputs. Most Motorolas from what I understand only output 16:9 letterboxed output to anything but HDMI or component outputs. If this is the case you're kinda screwed. To test this run a S-video cable from your STB to your 16:9 TV direct and see what the signal looks like. If it's full screen 16:9 your good. It it's letter box your not. If the output is full screen you will be able to record the 16:9 image to any DVD. If you are NOT using RAM discs you are correct, the WS bit will not be set. If you play the resulting DVD on a 4:3 TV the whole 16:9 frame will be displayed vertically stretched on your screen. If you play the DVD on a 16:9 screen with your DVD player set to stretch 4:3 format to fill 16:9 screen you will be ok and you'll see the whole 16:9 scene in it's proper format.
In the EZ-48's setup you want to set the unit up for 16:9 format to be able to record the whole 16:9 image.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

JJeff mentioned a problem with Motorola STBs passing widescreen content out the S-Video connection. I went to DBS Talk and found an interesting conversation regarding DVD Recording with Direct TV HR receivers. I thought I'd post a link here if anyone is interested.

DBS Talk
DirectTV Products and Services
DirectTV Plus High Definition DVR Discussion
Recording to a DVD-Recorder

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=125865
Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
If there is a DVD+R recorded under Win XP PRo disc format, can the 48VK read it? Say it's a disc full of wmv files?

Because in my old MixSonic player, it can read 4.7GB dvd PC format and able to play those files.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:03 PM

Does the 48 have a zoom feature? When playing a DVD (rental or recorded) I would like to get rid of the top and bottom black bars. I can do this somewhat on my TV, but I think it would be better to adjust it on the DVD player.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR1 View Post

Does the 48 have a zoom feature? When playing a DVD (rental or recorded) I would like to get rid of the top and bottom black bars. I can do this somewhat on my TV, but I think it would be better to adjust it on the DVD player.

The EZ-28 (DVDR only) has the Zoom function. It is accessed when playing the DVD by hitting the S key on the remote. I would assume they would be the same? Truthfully I've always used the Zoom function on my TV, I believe it looks clearer. Although I suppose not everyone has a Zoom on their TV. I think the Zoom is new to the EZ-x8 series recorders. My EZ-x7 recorders did not have this function, at least I never stumbled onto it if it did.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

JJeff mentioned a problem with Motorola STBs passing widescreen content out the S-Video connection. I went to DBS Talk and found an interesting conversation regarding DVD Recording with Direct TV HR receivers. I thought I'd post a link here if anyone is interested.

DBS Talk
DirectTV Products and Services
DirectTV Plus High Definition DVR Discussion
Recording to a DVD-Recorder

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=125865

I have a Motorola HD STB and have to use the S-Video connection to my Panny EZ17. It will record a HD program, however it shrinks the image in height & width. When I play back on my 16:9 HDTV I can use the zoom & expand the image to fill the screen. Obviously not HD, but at least I was able to record a program I might have missed.

Problem is just because a cable channel is listed as HD does not guarantee the program is HD 16:9. For example some HD SciFi channel material comes thru in the floating postage stamp format. The TV can zoom to fill the screen. However if recorded, the postage stamp image also shrinks, making it smaller yet. The TV zoom will only expand the picture to the original postage stamp size & will not fill the screen. Hopefully I explained that OK.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post

If there is a DVD+R recorded under Win XP PRo disc format, can the 48VK read it? Say it's a disc full of wmv files?

No. It will not play WMV files. Only JPEG and MP3, and then only when recorded to CD or DVD-RAM, not DVD+R.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

No. It will not play WMV files. Only JPEG and MP3, and then only when recorded to CD or DVD-RAM, not DVD+R.

There's another way. Just convert your WMV's to AVI (DivX format) and burn them to DVD-R or CD-R and they will play just fine.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

There's another way. Just convert your WMV's to AVI (DivX format) and burn them to DVD-R or CD-R and they will play just fine.

Thank you! I've always been very confused about the whole DivX/XviD thing. I knew the EZx8's had DivX capability, but the manual just goes on about the use of downloaded/encrypted/player-locked DivX files, and makes no mention of the fact that you can use it to play your own transcoded videos. I just tried it and it works. One correction: as per the manual, it will only play DivX files burned to CD, not DVD.

Also, none of the navigation controls (search, pause, etc.) work with DivX files. So for anything over a few minutes I'd convert to DVD-Video.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:21 PM

A couple questions on this unit, I'm currently looking to replace my LG RC797T because of it's weak tuner, and my replacement options are an LG RC897T, which hopefully has a better tuner, or the EZ48V.

Reading a couple pages back, there were a couple posts about this unit not being able to record to VHS from a digital OTA signal? Or did I misunderstand that? Right now, my LG 797T is taping to VHS from a digital channel that has no analog counterpart, so I know for sure it's taping the digital signal. I like using VHS to time-shift and since I'm mostly recording older shows that aren't HD anyway, quality isn't that much of a problem.

I see a couple people comfirming the unit needs to be turned off before recording will start, another strike against. Once the unit is off, is there a way to completely turn off any front panel display? The 797T does this, once off, it's totally dark.

I see some comments on the tuner, any more specifics? I seem to have a problem with a couple channels that are spotty at best in OTA digital reception, which come in with no problems on a CECB attached to another TV. I wonder why they can put a great tuner in a cheap coupon converter that costs $60 and a sub-standard one in a $300 DVD recorder.

Thanks for any info.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Hi all,
Picked up my Panny EZ48 for $269 (Memorial weekend sale at CircuitCity accross the border. London Drugs has the EZ48 @ $349 ). So far I am quite happy with the Panny!

I currently have Shaw Cable with a Motorola digital (non HD) set-top box.

I hooked up the EZ48 as described in the set-up guide and it auto-tuned to all Shaw Cables basic digital channels, but not the premium channels that I've subsrcribed to (which is what is expected, according to the manual).

Now I use component video out to push 1080i from the EZ48 to my old Samsung 16:9 (pre-HDMI) HD-TV. The EZ48 does a great job with the upscaling via component video.

Among the basic Shaw Cable channel line up, some of the programming is listed as "HD" in the program guide such as David Letterman in CH 15 (KIRO: Seattle) and Jay Leno in CH 16 (KING: Seattle) or some movies in CH 39 (SHOW). However, I'm not too sure the EZ48 is actually receiving these programs in HD, since the aspect ratio for these programs is still 4:3 and is stretched fill my 16:9 TV screen.

My understanding is that HD programming source is typically 16:9. And, from reading this forum, the EZ48 is supposed to have a HD receiver. If my understanding is true, then I should be seeing these "HD" programs with the source material in 16:9 aspect, right?

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

C N Machani
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Unless Canada is different in this respect "many" cable systems in the US scramble their HD digital channels. Most seem to pass the locals in HD but not much more. Others seem more lucky but I'd guess that would be your problem. The best test would if your TV had a digital tuner, the Panny should get the same channels as your TV, probably not any more.
You're correct HD channels should have 16:9 output unless their just upconverting SD, which they tend to do a lot.
BTW the Panny will upconvert over component only as long as the disc is NOT finalized. Any finalized or commercial discs will NOT upconvert over component. The tuner output will also upconvert over component.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:19 PM

jjeff,
Thanks for your input. I just went through the entire channel line up of my cable co (Shaw Cable, Vancouver). They offer the "local" Seattle channels in two modes, standard and HD. Their HD channel line up starts with channel 200 and appear to be scrambled, so my Panny EZ48 cannot access them.

It appears the only HD option for me is to get a HD STB from my cable co and pay for the service

It looks like none of the local Vancouver channels are in true HD.

C N Machani
Old 06-20-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

That's too bad for you. If you knew you might have been just as good getting the tunerless EA-38. Although for the price you got the EZ-48 you have the added benefit of getting the analogs as long as their still available. Besides I don't think you'd have gotten the EA-38 any cheaper. BTW I don't think the EA-38 is available in Canada is it? I didn't see it at Panasonic.ca anyway.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

Also, none of the navigation controls (search, pause, etc.) work with DivX files. So for anything over a few minutes I'd convert to DVD-Video.

I've been using the DivX feature and I've discovered that the search and pause functions do work on some files. I guess it depends on the transcoding parameters you use.