Official Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Readers of this thread might also want to check out the Official Panasonic DMR-EZ28K thread since most of the information posted about that machine applies to this one as well.

I've been using the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V for about a week now. I had been using a DMR-EZ37V for about a month prior and I can tell you that almost everything about the 48 is an improvement. Most importantly, it seems to be a much more stable machine. I can't tell you how many times the 37 locked up and needed to be reset. In the week that I've been using the 48 it hasn't locked up on me even once. And I've been deliberately banging on it, which is to say I've been doing things that I know made the 37 lock up, but the 48 just keeps going.

I should point out that I don't own an HD monitor (which for this group practically makes me a Luddite :-) so I can only report what I can see from the composite outputs. The picture quality from the DVD/VHS Common output is much better than on the 37. In fact, the VHS quality on the DVD Priority output is better still, and has none of the problems that VHS playback from the DVD output had on the 37, so I've been using the DVD output for VHS playback, which also makes things easier in that I don't have to switch outputs when I switch drives.

One of the first things I noticed was that Closed Captions were not displaying on either output. I was very upset by this since I was really enjoying this feature on the 37. (Yeah, that's right, my monitor is pre-mandatory-CC. You got a problem with that? :-) However, after a few days I made a pleasant discovery. If, after turning on CC in the Setup menu and while a tape or disc is playing, you display and dismiss the Submenu and/or the Status display, the CC will start to appear. In fact the CC is even displayed on the Common output, which the manual still says it won't. This doesn't seem to affect DVD-V, but does affect DVD-RAM and VHS. The CC now display with a black background by default, which makes them much easier to read. Also, FWIW, the VCR no longer displays the old-school character-generator-style displays on the Common output unless you use the two drives concurrently.

The Drive Select button no longer toggles between the VHS and DVD drives, but cycles through VHS, DVD, SD card, and USB port. This is more annoying than it sounds, because it takes the machine a few seconds to poll the SD and USB ports, even if they're empty, and you can't just hit the button several times, you have to wait for the machine to finish probing each port before it will respond to the button again. There is a slight workaround to this, in that if you display the Submenu and select Drive Select from the Submenu, you will get a menu of all 4 devices from which you can directly select any device. It takes a lot more keystrokes, but there are no delays. What also helps is that when you load a tape or disc, the machine switches to that drive automatically.

I noticed that the EZ17 and 37 both had a problem with audio sync. When recording a low quality source (analog TV or VHS copy) in EP mode for a long time (over 2 hours) the audio would progressively fall out of sync with the video. I've tried this on the 48 and I'm happy to report that they seem to have fixed this problem.

I've read something on this thread disparaging the zoom function. My understanding is that the purpose of the zoom function is to make a letterboxed HD image fit an SD monitor. I've tried it, and for that it works quite well. (It would be nice if the manual pointed this out, but I don't think we want to start down that path.)

jjeff has indicated that the Search function on +RW discs is still broken on the DMR-EZ28. I can report that this is the case on the 48 as well. And, while I'm sure the timer bug is still there too, I haven't had a chance to test it.

Overall, I have a very positive feeling about this machine. I think Panasonic is getting their act together with these x8 machines. Of course, it isn't perfect, but I chose Panasonic machines because they are budget priced, and for the price I feel these machines give me everything I need and more. I'm looking forward to getting DMR-EZ28's to round out my system, and since I'm planning on returning my EZ17 since it's tuner died, I'll be able to have an all-EZ28 recorder farm. Wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Glad they fixed some on the problems of the EZ-37. I've also read bad things about the EZ-47, so I think it's safe to assume the whole EZ-X7 lineup was flawed to some degree. I think I was the one who was knocking the Zoom function. Because of PQ degradation on a HD set I never use the DVD zoom function to actually get rid of black bars, but I use my TV's zoom function, which is much clearer. I like to use the DVD zoom when say reading fine print on the screen. In that respect I would have liked a Pan and Scan feature so I wouldn't just blow up the center of the screen. It's actually not a big deal for me anyway since I really never play on my DVDR. I use a Sony player for that, and the Sony has Pan and Scan.
I don't like the idea of having to cycle through all of the inputs to go from VHS to DVD either. I like on my ES-30 that I have a dedicated VHS and DVD button for instant switching between the 2.

rperlberg-Is it still possible on the EZ-48 to route say the VHS output through a filter and then back into the DVDR to record all at the same time?
What I liked about the ES-30(but never really got confirmation about the EZ-47) was it's ability to play a VHS or DVD and route the signal out of the machine, then through a filter, then back into the DVD or VHS to record. Most combo units do not allow this and to use a filter you must have separate units.

Can you say Play a VHS, put your filter in line with the common output, the route the filter output back into the Line input. Then on the DVDR select that line input and record the filtered signal? Just curious for other people wanting to back up there CP'd tapes or DVD's.
Nice to have a official EZ-48 thread now.
post #3 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
On the DMR-EZ48V is there a menu that allows copying with the Time Limited and Flexible copying features?

These essential dubbing/copying features were present under the FUNCTIONS menu on 2006 (DMR-ES35V, DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V) and a 2005 (DMR-ES30V) combo recorder models.

These essential features were not offered on 2007 models (DMR-EZ37, DMR-EZ47, DMR-EZ475). The 2007 models were limited to the front panel copying control (for "internal" copying) that stopped and started the videotape and DVD recording (creating a new "title") at videotape index marks. The workaround required an external VCR or video stabilizer to allow user customized copying settings that provided seamless copying. I did not purchase any Panasonic 2007 combo recorder models as they were stripped of the menu-initiated Time Limited and Flexible copying features essential for a serious selective dubbing project. Are these old design flaws still present on the DMR-EZ48V?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I've always wondered, what makes a thread "Official"?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Just because the OP says so, I guess.

It's probably a response or knock at the other one, which drifted a little OT into flat-panel territory, because he made a remark about that at the end of it.
post #6 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Do you have to turn the 48 off in order for a timer recording to start, as the 47 reportedly forces you?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I personally kinda like the "official" title. It looks better that say something like "Target now has the EZ-48 now on sale" or something like that. Truthfully my favorite title would be something like the regular 3575 thread or the EZ-47 thread which incorporates features of the unit. eg. QAM/ATSC etc. Either way it's nice for the EZ-48 to have a dedicated thread now. IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Do you have to turn the 48 off in order for a timer recording to start, as the 47 reportedly forces you?

I would think so(but could stand corrected). The EZ-28 which I assume is very similar to the EZ-48 makes you turn off the unit for a scheduled event to start. A big step backwards if you ask me. I really like the fact that my ES series recorders do not have to be OFF to start. This feature has save me many a recording that would otherwise have been lost on the EZ units.

Ramm, I think he was just joking about our OT Plasma talk on the EZ-28 thread, I guess I started it
post #8 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Is it still possible on the EZ-48 to route say the VHS output through a filter and then back into the DVDR to record all at the same time?

Yes. I just tried this, although I just connected the VHS output directly to the input since I don't have any kind of external filter. It works, although the quality is far less than doing an internal copy, although your filter might be able to fix that. It's a pain operationally, though. You have to start the DVD recording first since if you switch from the VHS to the DVD while the VHS is playing, the VHS stops. So while the VHS is playing you have no way to control the DVD. Also, while the VHS is not playing, the input is routed to the VHS output, so you get a feedback loop, unless you put a switch on the filter to block it.
post #9 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

On the DMR-EZ48V is there a menu that allows copying with the Time Limited and Flexible copying features?

Sorry to have to tell you, the copy functions on the 48 are the same as on the 37/47. Whether you initiate the copy from the front panel or the FUNCTIONS menu, it just copies at the currently selected mode.
post #10 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Yes. This is what I would call standard VCR functionality. I can understand why you'd want an HDD-based recorder to work this way, but I think of DVD recorders as being more closely related to VCR's, in that you wouldn't want the machine to start recording to whatever media is in the drive until you take the positive action of putting the machine into scheduled recording mode.
post #11 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Just because the OP says so, I guess.

It's probably a response or knock at the other one, which drifted a little OT into flat-panel territory, because he made a remark about that at the end of it.

True, I was a little annoyed about the 28 thread drifting OT, but as for the "official" title, I was just trying to stick with the convention established by the 28 thread.
post #12 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg View Post

Yes. I just tried this, although I just connected the VHS output directly to the input since I don't have any kind of external filter. It works, although the quality is far less than doing an internal copy, although your filter might be able to fix that. It's a pain operationally, though. You have to start the DVD recording first since if you switch from the VHS to the DVD while the VHS is playing, the VHS stops. So while the VHS is playing you have no way to control the DVD. Also, while the VHS is not playing, the input is routed to the VHS output, so you get a feedback loop, unless you put a switch on the filter to block it.

Good to know, thanks for trying it. On my ES-30 I'm sure it's a lot easier since it has 2 front panel displays, one for VHS one for DVD, it also has 2 dedicated buttons on the remote. One for VHS one for DVD. Good to know at least the option is there, even if kludge.

Quote:

Yes. This is what I would call standard VCR functionality. I can understand why you'd want an HDD-based recorder to work this way, but I think of DVD recorders as being more closely related to VCR's, in that you wouldn't want the machine to start recording to whatever media is in the drive until you take the positive action of putting the machine into scheduled recording mode.

I can somewhat understand your reasoning about having the wrong media in the drive, but on my ES machines it does warn you a few minutes prior to recording with a OSD. Allowing you to quickly swap discs.

rperlberg-not sure if you're aware of "multi-quotes" (I just recently was told how to use them) but if you click "multi-quote" on your first post and subsequent posts you want to quote, and just "quote" on your last one, you will only have to initiate one post. Just thought I'd let you know if you weren't aware.
Thanks for answering all the EZ-48 questions.
post #13 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Argh! Since most would be buying this for the digital tuner as well as recorder, it sucks that it can't be left on to continue watching a digital channel until the timer recording starts.
So if it's off before recording starts, can you see the feed after it starts when switching to the tv's line input, or do you press the power button to see the signal?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #14 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll address that question referring to my EZ-28. On the EZ-28 the recording will NOT start until the machine if OFF. Even if the event should have already started(example you were 1 min late) the second you turn the DVDR OFF the recording will start and the machine will turn back on.
To answer you question more direct, unlike the ES series DVDR's you do not have to push the power button to see the signal. In timed recording mode the power is always ON. Personally I don't care for this operation. If a person were to have the DVDR setup on a dark bedroom during scheduled recordings the unit turns ON and the display gets BRIGHT and the counter clicks away. On my ES series units the only indication of a timer recording is the little red REC icon that is lite. If I push power then the display gets bright and the unit outputs signal, but only then.
I so much preferred the ES machines, but alas no digital tuner so I live with there quirks I also miss the time being on the display when I search or pause. I don't know why they would think anyone would want to see SEARCH or PAUSE on the units display instead of the time I guess I'm too fussy
post #15 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'll address that question referring to my EZ-28.

Just to confirm, yes, the EZ48 works the same as the 28. During a timer recording, the material being recorded is displayed on the output. Not to harp on this too much, but this is the same functionality as every VCR I've ever owned, so I guess Panasonic engineered these machines to appeal to people who are used to VCR's, which includes me.
post #16 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you have been using VCR's and are just getting used to a DVDR, I can see your point about maintaining similar mode of operation. However, once you get into the features that set a DVDR totally apart from a VCR and experience the convenience and utility of chase play, you will realize that this limitation absolutely sucks big time and cripples a major feature.

So you are home one night and you want to watch a couple shows from 9:00-11:00pm on different channels. Realizing that 120 min of TV contains 80 min of show and 40 min of commercials, you pop a RAM into the DVDR and set the record timer. Then instead of sitting down at 9:00, you keep doing whatever until 9:40 so you can start to watch the recording from the beginning, jump through the commercials and catch up to a real time end of the second show at 11:00.

Oh wait, you can't, because the DVDR has to be off in order to start recording the second show. So, you have to set a timer to remind you to interrupt your viewing and turn off your recorder before 10:00 and wait for it to start recording before you can resume watching the first show. Not real convenient.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #17 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Very good point about RAM's. I did verify the same operation for RAM discs. The event will not start(even to a RAM) if playing on the same RAM disc. Like you said you would have to turn off the DVDR to allow the timer to start, then you could continue playing the RAM. What was Panasonic thinking. I realize this may be what VCR's did, but what makes it worse is I had gotten used to DVDR's having this nice feature, then they snapped it away.
post #18 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's even worse if that 2hr of TV is comprised of 4x30min shows. Probably part of the cost-cutting to be competitive in a very price-sensitive market. jjeff, how much time before the recording event is supposed to start does the DVDR have to be off.

- kelson h

post #19 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually it can be shut off anytime before the event, or even once the event has started. In my example say your event was supposed to start at 7PM. Let's say you're playing your RAM disc and at 7:01PM you remember the event was supposed to start (it doesn't warn you, which is a big omission IMO). The second you turn the machine OFF the event will start to start to record and the machine will come back on. Then you can continue to play your RAM if you want to.
I know, makes little sense If I remember on my VCR's the VCR had to be off something like at least 1 min prior to a scheduled event. At least the EZ units aren't that bad.
post #20 of 1568 Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Is the SD-DVD upscale on this better than the Toshiba R410?
post #21 of 1568 Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The same thing that makes Snickers the official candy bar of the US Olympic Figure Skating Team?
post #22 of 1568 Old 04-03-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:

I personally kinda like the "official" title. It looks better that say something like "Target now has the EZ-48 now on sale" or something like that. Truthfully my favorite title would be something like the regular 3575 thread or the EZ-47 thread which incorporates features of the unit. eg. QAM/ATSC etc. Either way it's nice for the EZ-48 to have a dedicated thread now. IMO

Hi, you might be referring to my thread about the new Panasonic model. If that was a sort of jab at my attempt to share information, let me explain what I was doing. I really didn't feel I was qualified or authorized to start an "official" thread when I mentioned the new models for sale at BestBuy. I just thought people looking for the new model would like to know who's got it. I figure the "official" ones can be left for the people who actually own one and thus could comment on its features. However, I really don't know the "rules" regarding such things, other than that I tried to be careful not to mention pricing.

Thanks, and hope that clears things up for you.
post #23 of 1568 Old 04-03-2008, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

No not you in particular. I've just seen various threads in this and other forums that have become the main one for a particular model that in hind site seem kind of funny. I wasn't trying to jab you in any way. Currently their are a couple other threads referencing Walmart in the title that have also become the main thread for that model. Sorry if you took offense. none intended.
post #24 of 1568 Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM

I hope this is a simple question for the technophiles!

I'm not going the traditional TV route.

I'm connecting my DMR-EZ48VK to my Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Monitor (1920 x 1200) via HDMI cable. Upon connecting a cable input via the coaxial input, will I be able to view the cable through the HDMI cable/monitor connection?

The operator's manual is vary vague concerning the HDMI connection. It show when connecting the HDMI cable to also connect the RCA cables (Audio R & L and Video). If the HDMI cable transfers uncompressed digital video and audio, I don't see why the RCA connections are necessary.

I plan on connecting wireless headphone to my little system. The monitor has a HDMI 2.1 Audio Out connection. Should I utilize this as my audio source? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
post #25 of 1568 Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Some TV's do not support audio over HDMI. If yours does not you will need the separate audio cables. My TV supports audio over HDMI so I do not use the audio cables.
If you're using the HDMI cable their will be no need for the yellow video cable, not sure what thats about.
Not sure about your wireless headphones, but if your monitor has the audio out that sounds good. It should also probably be controlled by your monitor's volume control, which may or may not be desirable. If not desirable hook it up to the DVDR's audio out, which is fixed.
post #26 of 1568 Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere View Post

The operator's manual is vary vague concerning the HDMI connection. It show when connecting the HDMI cable to also connect the RCA cables (Audio R & L and Video). If the HDMI cable transfers uncompressed digital video and audio, I don't see why the RCA connections are necessary.

Disclaimer: I don't have an HD monitor so I have not been able to test this, but this is based on my interpretation of the manual.

Under normal circumstances, you will be able to view both the DVD and VHS playback on the HDMI output, however, if you are trying to record to the DVD and play the VHS at the same time, the VHS playback will only appear on the DVD/VHS Common Output.
post #27 of 1568 Old 04-04-2008, 09:23 PM

JJeff,

Thanks for the input. The monitor has a HDMI 2.1 Audio Out connection. I wasn't able to find anything about this standard. Therefore, I'm probably going to connect the wireless base to the DMR-EZ48VK via RCA connection.
post #28 of 1568 Old 04-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Disclaimer: I don't have an HD monitor so I have not been able to test this, but this is based on my interpretation of the manual.

Under normal circumstances, you will be able to view both the DVD and VHS playback on the HDMI output, however, if you are trying to record to the DVD and play the VHS at the same time, the VHS playback will only appear on the DVD/VHS Common Output.

rperlberg,

Thank you for your input. This was my understanding also. I'm not really looking to watch VHS. I'm going to dub my VHS to DVD. My major concern was if the cable signal provided by coax would port via the HDMI cable and what would happen to the audio signal.

Between jjeff's and your input, I do believe that my thought process is acurate and everything is going to work great. I'll post again after testing the finished system upon delivery of the monitor.

Thanks again!
post #29 of 1568 Old 04-05-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Kilroy-Just keep in mind rperlberg's point about VHS output. I know what he's talking about. On my ES-30 you can get, say the VHS to come out the component outputs but not if trying to record a DVD(of something different) at the same time. It has to due with the way they get the VHS signal to the component outputs. It has to go through the DVD circuitry (and if the DVD is recording something else) that cannot be done.
I hadn't thought about that until rperlberg pointed it out. I'm sure that's why they have you hook up both HDMI and composite(and RCA audio as well).
Note it you aren't ever going to do this then you don't need the composite or RCA audio cables. It's just something to keep in mind.
post #30 of 1568 Old 04-05-2008, 07:55 PM

What features on the DMR-EZ48VK are upgraded over the DMR-EZ47V?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page