DVD Recorder for Commercial VHS Conversion - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Video Components > DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > DVD Recorder for Commercial VHS Conversion

DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

arborrow's Avatar arborrow
04:37 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 2
I've been asked to purchase a DVD Recorder (preferable VHS combo) unit for my school as they have some VHS videos they would like to convert to DVD. They would like to have some type of chapter breaks on the DVDs. I'm not sure how this works - can you set up the conversion to add a chapter break every 5 or 10 minutes?

I am looking at the Panasonic-EZ47VK but wanted to get folks who had more experience to comment on whether I should really be looking at a combo. The goal is to have a work study student work on the conversions. I would not complain if the unit also had a hard drive; however, it is difficult in my reviewing via google, CNET and other places to figure out where the technology is and what is a good current recommendation. Ideally the cost would be about $300.

As for the conversion of commercial VHSs, I am assuming that I will need to get a Grex from DiMax but if there are other recommendations I would be interested in that as well. I have heard that some of the "generic" brands of DVD Recorders do not require the Grex.

So with these particular requirements:

Copy commercial VHS to DVD
Add chapter breaks on DVD
Ease of Use for the student

Does anyone have any particular recommendations. I've read through some of the previous threads but I want to see what folks are currently saying. Any advise would be appreciated.

Peace - Anthony
westgate's Avatar westgate
04:51 PM Liked: 10
post #2 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by arborrow View Post

I've been asked to purchase a DVD Recorder (preferable VHS combo) unit for my school as they have some VHS videos they would like to convert to DVD. They would like to have some type of chapter breaks on the DVDs. I'm not sure how this works - can you set up the conversion to add a chapter break every 5 or 10 minutes?

I am looking at the Panasonic-EZ47VK but wanted to get folks who had more experience to comment on whether I should really be looking at a combo. The goal is to have a work study student work on the conversions. I would not complain if the unit also had a hard drive; however, it is difficult in my reviewing via google, CNET and other places to figure out where the technology is and what is a good current recommendation. Ideally the cost would be about $300.

As for the conversion of commercial VHSs, I am assuming that I will need to get a Grex from DiMax but if there are other recommendations I would be interested in that as well. I have heard that some of the "generic" brands of DVD Recorders do not require the Grex.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations. I've read through some of the previous threads but I want to see what folks are currently saying. Any advise would be appreciated.

Peace - Anthony

using a grex/sima/etc or other 'copy protection defeater' may be illegal. for home use its usually no big deal but in a school setting id have someone in authority check out the legality of it first. u or someone could get in a lot of trouble.

having said that, the grex puts out a somewhat dim and soft image compared to a sima ct-2/200 which may be hard to find. firebird-systems.com used to have said devices but i just looked and couldnt find them.

try checkhere22.com, click on 'digital video stabilizer'.
wajo's Avatar wajo
04:59 PM Liked: 142
post #3 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by arborrow View Post

Peace - Anthony

The ideal, easy-to-use by everybody, 160GB HDD unit with digital tuners is the Philips DVDR3576H/37, available at Sam's Clubs for $248.28. Can't copy copy-protected material by itself.

Click my signature for lots of info on features to help you decide, then you can come back later and get setup and operational help there also.
arborrow's Avatar arborrow
05:36 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 2
I will check out other video stabilizers and see what I can find. The VHS tapes were purchased and thus the DVD version should be a legal backup of purchased material and not a violation of any copyrights.

I agree that the Philips DVD3575H/37 seems to be the best bang for the buck. I will recommend it. Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with me and for such a prompt reply.

Peace - Anthony
vferrari's Avatar vferrari
05:38 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgate View Post

using a grex/sima/etc or other 'copy protection defeater' may be illegal. for home use its usually no big deal but in a school setting id have someone in authority check out the legality of it first. u or someone could get in a lot of trouble.

having said that, the grex puts out a somewhat dim and soft image compared to a sima ct-2/200 which may be hard to find. firebird-systems.com used to have said devices but i just looked and couldnt find them.

try checkhere22.com, click on 'digital video stabilizer'.

Educational institutions are usually exempt from these issues if the content is being used for legit educational purposes.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
05:43 PM Liked: 99
post #6 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 9,928
Anthony, Here's a link to a post I made about a stabilizer. If it's still available it's a great unit. I have the older version and it's never let me down. Since you're copying VHS even a older/cheaper unit "might" work. The predecessor to my Sima worked fine for VHS tapes but not on DVD's, although for the price of the Sima I'd get it to be sure, it does it all.
Panasonic combos like the EZ-47/48 would work even with the stabilizer, but I would really suggest the 3576 with a separate VCR for ease. The combo units get kind of complicated when trying to incorporate a filter. It can be done but since the unit only has one display it has to be shared between the VCR and DVDR part. I prefer separate units, or a older unit with 2 displays.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post13625595
If you do with the Panny I'd suggest the EZ-48 over the EZ-47. The whole x7 line('07) IMO is quite problematic. I think they've worked some of the bugs out with the '08 (x8) line.
westgate's Avatar westgate
05:45 PM Liked: 10
post #7 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

Educational institutions are usually exempt from these issues if the content is being used for legit educational purposes.

great!
thanx!
wajo's Avatar wajo
05:46 PM Liked: 142
post #8 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 14,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

Educational inst. aren't exempt and must follow certain guidelines, best explained by Stanford Univ. in this publication on copyright for its educators.

Just one example:

"Performance or Display of Copyrighted Materials During Face-to-Face Teaching. The Copyright Act provides an exemption to perform or display copyrighted materials during face-to-face teaching activities. Such use does not require the author's permission. Note, however, that this exemption does not permit copying or distributing a work--only displaying or performing it during class time."
kjbawc's Avatar kjbawc
10:42 PM Liked: 11
post #9 of 11
05-10-2008 | Posts: 3,013
When an institution, such as a library, buys copies of a DVD for loan, they generally pay an "institutional" price, that is often $100 per DVD. Perhaps 'backup copies' are legal, so long as no more than were paid for are in circulation.

arborrow, no one has mentioned it, but if you need to use a video stabilizer, you will generally have to have a separate DVDR and VCR, so you can put it between them. I also would recommend the Philips DVDR.
vferrari's Avatar vferrari
05:01 AM Liked: 10
post #10 of 11
05-11-2008 | Posts: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Educational inst. aren't exempt and must follow certain guidelines, best explained by Stanford Univ. in this publication on copyright for its educators.

Just one example:

"Performance or Display of Copyrighted Materials During Face-to-Face Teaching. The Copyright Act provides an exemption to perform or display copyrighted materials during face-to-face teaching activities. Such use does not require the author's permission. Note, however, that this exemption does not permit copying or distributing a work--only displaying or performing it during class time."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

When an institution, such as a library, buys copies of a DVD for loan, they generally pay an "institutional" price, that is often $100 per DVD. Perhaps 'backup copies' are legal, so long as no more than were paid for are in circulation.

arborrow, no one has mentioned it, but if you need to use a video stabilizer, you will generally have to have a separate DVDR and VCR, so you can put it between them. I also would recommend the Philips DVDR.

Wajo,

Thanks for the clarification - but still more relief than a lowly consumer, and that was my point. Still it looks like the educational institution has a case for exemption here if they are merely making copies to facilitate face-to-face display because of the obsolescence of the playback technology (VCRs) for which the original content was distributed. Something along the lines of what kjbawc was getting at (as long as the number of copies available for face-face display stays the same and they are not distributing it...)
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
07:05 AM Liked: 99
post #11 of 11
05-11-2008 | Posts: 9,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I realize you said "generally" but that's why I mentioned the Pannys. The older ones allowed routing the signal out of the machine and then back in and I received conformation from others saying that the newer ones also do this. You are correct though, I think this is a rather rare feature. As far as the OP I still think the Philips is the way to go but the Pannys would work.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Subscribe to this Thread