Re: TV Guide On Screen (Panasonic Recorders) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2008, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently had my DMR-EH55 loaded via IR Blaster and it seemed to be updated for the meanwhile, but I would love to power the cable box off since it's been on for a while. If I do that, how is TV Guide going to work? Eventually, new info needs to be updated, do I constantly have to leave my cable box power on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Try it and find out.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Have you always left yours on??
post #4 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post

I recently had my DMR-EH55 loaded via IR Blaster and it seemed to be updated for the meanwhile,...

What do you mean by "loaded via IR Blaster"? I recently got digital cable and had to re-do my setup with my DMR EH55 for the digital cable box (using Antenna and Cable with Cable Box also the IR blaster). Setup was just completed and when I press the Guide to check the EH55 it list RF IN3 with a station number but NO program information is available for the cable box programs, only the analog programs have program listings. Am I missing something here?

P.S. BEFORE I hooked up to the Digital Cable Box, in the setup section of the TVGOS I was able to see the local PBS station which transmits the TV Guide analog info. Since hooking up to the Digital Cable Box I didn't notice a station which transmits info for the Digital Cable Box.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post

I recently had my DMR-EH55 loaded via IR Blaster and it seemed to be updated for the meanwhile, but I would love to power the cable box off since it's been on for a while. If I do that, how is TV Guide going to work? Eventually, new info needs to be updated, do I constantly have to leave my cable box power on?

My E-85 always seems to update the TVGOS overnight in the 12:00AM-6:00AM timeframe. It updates day 8 every night so if I don't have it turned off during that time and it misses the update, there is a "hole" in the TVGOS for several days.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace H View Post

I recently got digital cable and had to re-do my setup with my DMR EH55 for the digital cable box (using Antenna and Cable with Cable Box also the IR blaster). Setup was just completed and when I press the Guide to check the EH55 it list RF IN3 with a station number but NO program information is available for the cable box programs, only the analog programs have program listings. Am I missing something here?

At least it appears that you're getting guide info, which is good. Just go into the channel editor and look for the other channels, turn them to "on", and enter in the appropriate channel numbers if they're not already in there.

They should fill in with information overnight or so.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

What do you mean by "loaded via IR Blaster"? I recently got digital cable and had to re-do my setup with my DMR EH55 for the digital cable box (using Antenna and Cable with Cable Box also the IR blaster). Setup was just completed and when I press the Guide to check the EH55 it list RF IN3 with a station number but NO program information is available for the cable box programs, only the analog programs have program listings. Am I missing something here?

P.S. BEFORE I hooked up to the Digital Cable Box, in the setup section of the TVGOS I was able to see the local PBS station which transmits the TV Guide analog info. Since hooking up to the Digital Cable Box I didn't notice a station which transmits info for the Digital Cable Box.

Meaning the IR Blaster is in placement on top of my cable box so it can send the appropriate information. I was watching a movie the other night and it suddenly changed on me and I immediately moved the IR Blaster away from the box and it stopped, after the show, I have to pick up where it left off and it is still loading...with the cable box 'on' of course.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

At least it appears that you're getting guide info, which is good. Just go into the channel editor and look for the other channels, turn them to "on", and enter in the appropriate channel numbers if they're not already in there.

They should fill in with information overnight or so.

My point is during setup I selected ANTENNA and Cable with a Cable Box. This apparently tells the EH55 to gather info from an OVER THE AIR ANTENNA as well as the Cable Box which is probably why using the TV Guide if I select to go to a channel higher than the OVER THE AIR channels, then it switches to the cable box. With my previous setup (BEFORE I had Digital Cable) I selected Cable WITHOUT a Cable Box, which told the EH55 to check the Analog Cable Channels being fed via the cable signal coming from the wall.

It appears to me, from what I see going on, is that there is a difference between ANTENNA and Cable Without a Cable Box selections.

Perhaps tonight I will try and select Cable With a Cable Box and Cable WITHOUT a Cable Box in order to get both Digital Cable via the IR blaster and the Analog Cable for tuning stations via the TVGOS above the OVER THE AIR station channels WITHOUT having it change the Cable Box for Analog Cable Channels.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Perhaps tonight I will try and select Cable With a Cable Box and Cable WITHOUT a Cable Box in order to get both Digital Cable via the IR blaster and the Analog Cable for tuning stations via the TVGOS above the OVER THE AIR station channels WITHOUT having it change the Cable Box for Analog Cable Channels.

See other thread. (From now on, I will only respond there, so it's less comfusing.)
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 AM

ys, im a real newbie here and trying to find answers, but its difficult to sort through thousands of pages of threads--Im hoping you could clarify; if you have EPG, does one NOT need an IR blaster? I have an old toshiba I love. I have to manually enter programs but the IR blaster switches the channels for me so i can record stuff of different stations off my digital cable. The new models (the few that seem to exist) often do have an IR blaster- so if there is a TV guide programing feature, will that do the trick? or are we stuck not being able to have different stations record without manually switching the cable box? thanks for any help.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
EPG and a blaster are 2 different things. A EPG will not change the channels of your STB, you need a IR blaster for that. One exception to that statement might be something like a Samsung 260 HD tuner or the soon(hopefully) to be released Echostar TR-40 OTA converter box. With those 2 units you can program them to change the channel at a certain time using it's own EPG. Otherwise if you have a standard STB you will need a IR blaster, which are hard to find.
If you're interested in Panasonic DVDR's it looks like the tunerless EA-18 and EA-38 w/VHS have a 1/8" jack on the back labeled "cable box control". No one at the stores have been able to tell me if the blaster is included or must be purchased separately. Panasonic's website is mum on the issue. I think LG also makes a DVDR w/blaster jack.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-14-2008, 12:45 PM

Hey thanks so much for the helpful info.
best,
Stephew.
post #13 of 13 Old 07-29-2008, 12:22 PM

Do you know if the hole occurs if you are taping or only if you have the unit "on"? Periodically I have gaps in my EH50, then they come back.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page