Anyone in Tucson noticed a TVGOS problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 05-15-2008, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I lost all my TVGOS data on my Panasonic DMR-EH75V recorder.
I called Comcast Cable here in Tucson but as usual, they had no idea what I was talking about.

The last download was 5/10/2008 and nothing has updated since then. Their 'head-end' technician has been notified but I have not had an update.

Has anyone else in the area noticed their TVOS (TV Guide On Screen) data going away?

I worked with Jay from GemStar/TVGOS for an hour, going over all the diagnostic screens in my DVR but found nothing conclusive. We did a soft reset and I'll wait 24 hours to see if the updates resume. Another thing we noticed was that reception on PBS (channel 6 analog) was horrible. He also had me check for closed-captioning on channel 6. It was NOT working but all the other channes were doing CC correctly. May be a clue.....

Mick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 05-16-2008, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Contact the PBS station and ask an engineer about the Gemstar inserter (for the TVGOS data) and about the CC. Perhaps something is on the fritz.

RG
post #3 of 75 Old 05-16-2008, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have the GemStar guy dealing directly with the Comcast head-end guys now.
We noticed something else strange today. The PBS channel (KUAT) showed up on
my QAM tuner as channel 2-0 Never had a channel down that low before. I wonder if
they moved the Gemstar inserter to the digital side and forgot to go back and check the
analog side.
Thanks,,
Mick
post #4 of 75 Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean that you have no analog PBS channel, just a digital channel? That would be highly unusual.

If the PBS analog channel has gone off the air, that would explain the loss of TVGOS data. It is transmitted over analog only.

I still think you need to contact the PBS engineer. Comcast probably has nothing to do with the TVGOS signal, unless they are blocking it.

RG
post #5 of 75 Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

Do you mean that you have no analog PBS channel, just a digital channel? That would be highly unusual.

If the PBS analog channel has gone off the air, that would explain the loss of TVGOS data. It is transmitted over analog only.

I still think you need to contact the PBS engineer. Comcast probably has nothing to do with the TVGOS signal, unless they are blocking it.

No, PBS/Analog Chan 6 is still broadcasting and I can receive it normally BUT the
TVGOS data is missing.
Gemstar told me they work with the cable head-end and not the PBS channel.
The insertion is done at Comcast, not PBS.
I'll know more tomorrow.

Mick
post #6 of 75 Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 AM

Liked: 11
Something smells fishy... why would TVGOS insertion take place at the cable company????? That makes no sense.
post #7 of 75 Old 05-19-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that this sounds fishy.

If Gemstar inserted the data at the cable company, how would people who get the channel OTA get their TVGOS data?

Please let us know what the final resolution is

RG
post #8 of 75 Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
It's possible that what they might mean is they have to re-insert it when it's been stripped out after switching over to using the digital versions of the locals and sending those as analog.
post #9 of 75 Old 05-19-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with the lead technician at Comcast. He said they changed the way the local PBS channel is fed from the studio to Comcast. They are having problems getting the TVGOS data re-inserted to analog channel 06.
Rammitinski is mostly correct.

I have to wait till tomorrow to see if any data gets downloaded. I will report the final outcome when we get it fixed.

Mick
post #10 of 75 Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

I just had another call from the Comcast head-end guy. They are experimenting with a new piece of hardware that should decode and convert the mpeg signal they are receiving from the local PBS station and re-insert it onto Comcast channel 6 (Analog PBS).
If this does not work, it may be a couple of weeks before they have a solution.
At least they DO know they have a problem and several customers have called to report it.

Mick
post #11 of 75 Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 PM

Comcast is my provider in Santa Rosa, California, and the TVGOS signal was lost around May 10th here, too. It happened right after Comcast upgraded service to add more channels (and to charge more). I've reported the problem but have not gotten any return calls or feedback. Until reading your post, I assumed the problem was caused by the area upgrade; but since it happened in Tucson around the same time, maybe it's not just a localized problem.
post #12 of 75 Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Update: Just spoke with Comcast "support", who told me:
1. they've never heard of TVGOS
2. they will not do anything to restore the TVGOS signal.

It's so nice to be a monopoly.

Leaving aside their unhelpful attitude, it's interesting to note that some of the signal probably is leaking through; just not enough to create the program listings...

After 2 weeks of no new listings, I completely reset my Panasonic DMR-EH50 (pressed the Power button for 10 seconds, then pressed both channel-up and channel-down simultaneously for 10 seconds). The channel guide was lost, the clock blinked 12:00, and the DVR went into initial setup mode.

I answered the zip code/ settop box questions, turned it off, and let it scan (and scan, and scan) for a couple of days, all to no avail, although it did find a time-signal, because it set the clock after a few hours.

Also, it found two of the PBS stations, because after scanning endlessly, it settled down on one of them for a day, and then the other, for two days.

Three days after being reset, the DVR displayed channel identifications and asked me to select which of several lineups matched my service. I selected the best one, and it immediately showed me the correct channel numbers for all the stations in my area. No program information, just the correct numbers.

It certainly seems as though some information must be getting through, or how would it have picked up the channel lineup?

There is a pony in this room: I've been wanting to switch to satellite for a couple of years, but TVGOS was a benefit that justified staying with cable. With that tether removed, it'll be easier to justify making the switch.
post #13 of 75 Old 05-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Just sent a email to the head Comcast tech hear in Tucson who is a friend of mine and asked if they have any new information on the missing TVGOS data problem. I noticed it was gone on my Pioneer plasma about 2 or 3 weeks ago when my sets blue light was blinking 12 times when it was turned off that indicated the data problem.
post #14 of 75 Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Update, the following are the 2 questions I sent to him and the answers that I received this morning:

My Question: I know you guys are aware and are working with Gemstar about the TVGOS data missing. I lost all my data on my Pioneer plasma Guide Screen about 3 weeks ago and I tried again today and it still shows no information.

Answer: Part 1 is we are still working on a resolution for the guide, and may have to purchase a piece just to convert channel 6 so it will pass all of the VBI data.

My Question: My understanding TVGOS is on the analog channel 6. What will happen next February when all the analog stops broadcasting?

Answer: Part 2 - last I heard the data would be passed through CBS and we would have to insert it on 6. More to come, but this item is on a nationwide agenda for the conversion.
post #15 of 75 Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRSW View Post

My Question: My understanding TVGOS is on the analog channel 6. What will happen next February when all the analog stops broadcasting?

Answer: Part 2 - last I heard the data would be passed through CBS and we would have to insert it on 6. More to come, but this item is on a nationwide agenda for the conversion.

That would be welcomed news indeed. I hope that Comcast nationwide is considering this.

I do not look forward to the digital conversion if it means losing the TVGOS in my Panasonic DVD recorders.

RG
post #16 of 75 Old 06-06-2008, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRSW View Post

Update, the following are the 2 questions I sent to him and the answers that I received this morning:

Answer: Part 1 is we are still working on a resolution for the guide, and may have to purchase a piece just to convert channel 6 so it will pass all of the VBI data.

Thanks for the update. He promised he would call me to do some testing when he has the VBI re-inserted. I REALLY miss my TVGOS.

He has no way of testing there at the head-end. Too bad they can't provide him with a TVGOS capable receiver.

Mick
post #17 of 75 Old 06-16-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

The TVGOS problem at Comcast Tucson is FIXED!
I spoke to the lead tech last Thursday and today. The VBI data is once again being transmitted on PBS Channel 6.
I had to do a hard reset to my DVR to get the listings to appear. The Ads came as soon as the signal was fixed but the listings were not populating. Once I did the hard reset and reloaded the channel lineup, it all worked as it used to.

The problem was with the MPEG2 signal from PBS to Comcast. The TVGOS was getting stripped inadvertently and once he found a way to re-insert it, all was well again. There is a 'loaner' box doing the re-insertion right now.

Mick
post #18 of 75 Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

The TVGOS data is again missing from Comcast Tucson. I left a message for the lead tech here in Tucson yesterday.
I just returned from a couple of trips to CA and noticed that all TVGOS data stopped on 10/20/2008.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just me?

Mick
post #19 of 75 Old 10-27-2008, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

TVGOS OK here in the Philly area over Comcast.

RG
post #20 of 75 Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

TVGOS OK here in the Philly area over Comcast.

Thanks RG,
I suspect it's a local insertion problem like before but I won't know till I hear back from the Lead tech here in Tucson.

Mick
post #21 of 75 Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Somehow I received one day of listings yesterday. Still no time signal but it appears the TVGOS data is starting again.

Mick
post #22 of 75 Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke to the lead tech here in Tucson today. He tells me that the signal is no longer being inserted on PBS-6. He 'thinks' it will be on digital CBS 13-1 in the future but he is not convinced that it is there presently.

I also have an incident open with TVGOS support in Mass. and they are working on the problem also.

Mick
post #23 of 75 Old 10-28-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would tell you to get a DVDPal/TR-40 for when it goes digital, but so far, that hasn't exactly turned out to do what they claimed.
post #24 of 75 Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I would tell you to get a DVDPal/TR-40 for when it goes digital, but so far, that hasn't exactly turned out to do what they claimed.

I have two of them(DTV/PAL). It will only work once the TVGOS data is inserted onto one of the OTA digital channels. It then passes the TVGOS VBI data to Channel 3. You have to leave your TVGOS-Capable device OFF for the downloads and you must use the little IR blaster that came with your device.

Mick
post #25 of 75 Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmick View Post

The TVGOS data is again missing from Comcast Tucson. I left a message for the lead tech here in Tucson yesterday.
I just returned from a couple of trips to CA and noticed that all TVGOS data stopped on 10/20/2008.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just me?

Mick

I also experience complete outage on about 10/27. In addition, the previous week or so I might get one days worth of data a couple of times. several times I did the software reboot (entering the 9 digit reset command) from the remote just in case it was an issue with my machine (Pioneer DVR-531). A couple of days ago all the data back (except one day) overnite.

My cable provider is a local regional provider in northwest Kansas. Last I checked the TVGOS data was coming over the CBS.
post #26 of 75 Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Fuzz,
Is your DVR analog? CBS is reported to be the new carrier for Digital data but I 'think' PBS is still the Analog carrier for the VBI data.
I checked last night and I still had no listing data.

Mick
post #27 of 75 Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Fuzz,
Is your DVR analog? CBS is reported to be the new carrier for Digital data but I 'think' PBS is still the Analog carrier for the VBI data.
I checked last night and I still had no listing data.

Mick

Analog yes. Several months ago my PBS station went digital. I was without TVGOS for a few weeks...then I started getting the feed again. That's when I found out my CBS channel was sending the feed.

daFuzz
post #28 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

I just spoke to the Comcast tech and he thinks the signal is again being inserted on PBS channel 6 over Comcast analog. There was a problem with the feed from the local PBS station. I did a reset and forced VBI channel 6 to give my DVR a chance to get the next download at 0100 Friday, local time.

I went into the diagnostic screens and could see that I now have a good clock signal and the live slicing data was loading.

On another note, Nick from TVGOS called (I had updated him with the info from Comcast), he confirmed that CBS will carry the digital TVGOS data but that Comcast will insert that same VBI data on the analog CBS channel. I guess we'll have to see as the transion date gets closer.

Mick
post #29 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have two of them(DTV/PAL). It will only work once the TVGOS data is inserted onto one of the OTA digital channels. It then passes the TVGOS VBI data to Channel 3. You have to leave your TVGOS-Capable device OFF for the downloads and you must use the little IR blaster that came with your device.

Mick

Doesn't work in any areas that are sending the digital data OTA so far.
post #30 of 75 Old 11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

The TVGOS info is back on in Tucson, I have tested it and can receive the listings from channel 27 analog OTA or Comcast Cable channel 6, both will work:

Channel 6 on Comcast Cable
Channel 27 analog OTA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page