Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 117 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #3481 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They're deeper -- I had left the A o N engaged, so many that used to have channels no longer does --and the TVs can't see them either. I think this ties to when they moved "duplicate " programming to the 800 tier on the box (to make them inaccessible to QAM tuners?). I'm shopping now... RCN has some deals that look promising, including 10 vs 6 speed internet. Before I order any more crap boxes from cc, I need to explore my options. FIOS wont be here for another two years (they promised it would launch in 2009....) so that's not available, nor is satellite. Still -- this hiatus from cable will force me to digitize the tape backlog, so I suppose I could consider it a gentle prod to stop procrastinating...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I should have also asked if you have any analogs?

If you do, delete them all.
post #3483 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I should have also asked if you have any analogs?

If you do, delete them all.

there are still 25 analogs that are mostly repeats of the digital stations that are left - I should delete them all and then rescan, or just delete them and see if anything new pops up?
post #3484 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

there are still 25 analogs that are mostly repeats of the digital stations that are left - I should delete them all and then rescan, or just delete them and see if anything new pops up?

I don't think you can rescan cuz the analogs would just come back.

As I remember, this worked for someone who lost CBS digital that had a duplicate analog. I think his CBS digital just appeared after deleting the analog? He might have had to do an "Add" of that digital channel, but not sure. He knew where it should be cuz his TV tuned it.

Don't forget the DTV/TV toggle trick also.

Your best best would be to write down all the analogs, then delete them all and see what happens.
post #3485 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I don't think you can rescan cuz the analogs would just come back.

As I remember, this worked for someone who lost CBS digital that had a duplicate analog. I think his CBS digital just appeared after deleting the analog?

Your best best would be to write down all the analogs, then delete them all and see what happens.

Will give it a try - I haven't done anything with the 2160s yet, but did rescan the tv to have an idea of what they've done... all locals, all PBS, all networks, weather, Cspan, A & E, QVC and HSN, lots of spanish and religious programming, and WGN. They didn't relocate those QAM assignments (they are still coming in where they used to be -- very high up on the dial 126, 127 etc) and we get 50 music stations. Wheee. So I dont think they moved anything, they just blocked them. Will try it with the first 2160 and see if anything new materializes, but I think the handwriting is on the wall. Thanks for the idea
post #3486 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 AM

I saw a reference to the 2160 on the Polaroid forum and bought one this week. Got the e19 error on first recording and researched this thread to get the solution right away. Many, many thanks to the posters.
If you could combine the options available on the Polo with the ease of use and quietness of this unit, wow, what a machine you would have!
Thanks again for the help!
post #3487 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsoo View Post

I saw a reference to the 2160 on the Polaroid forum and bought one this week. Got the e19 error on first recording and researched this thread to get the solution right away. Many, many thanks to the posters.
If you could combine the options available on the Polo with the ease of use and quietness of this unit, wow, what a machine you would have!

For 2160 information always start with the Table of Contents in the first post of Wajo's sticky thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3488 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:

You're certainly correct in comparing the decibel level between the two. I have both the Polo and Maggie. When the Polo powers up, it sounds like it's preparing for takeoff!

By comparison, I haven't heard a peep - except while loading a DVD - from the 2160 (or the 3575, for that matter) since I installed them.
post #3489 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM

grantsoo, welcome to the 2160 threads and ditto to your comments. I purchased my 1st 2160A at the end of April and liked it enough to buy another this month. My wife and I love the Polo but the noise drives us crazy. So far, we're very happy with the Maggie. It's great to have you with us and we look forward to your future postings, we know we'll be benefactors of your input.
post #3490 of 3505 Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump69 View Post

You're certainly correct in comparing the decibel level between the two. I have both the Polo and Maggie. When the Polo powers up, it sounds like it's preparing for takeoff!

By comparison, I haven't heard a peep - except while loading a DVD - from the 2160 (or the 3575, for that matter) since I installed them.

Strange. I had a Polo that was whisper quiet. I guess that's why I sold it!
OTOH, my 2160A whirs like a Sikorsky!
post #3491 of 3505 Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 PM

Need another help. Now that I have recorded a few programs to the HDD, is there a faster way to move through each page rather then going through each page one by one? Can I jump from page 1 to page 6 directly? I read through the manual but did not see anything. Thanks

Also once in a while when I am watching TV program through the 2160, it would flash bright for a second and then go back to normal. Has anyone seen this, is it normal or a defect?
post #3492 of 3505 Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

Need another help. Now that I have recorded a few programs to the HDD, is there a faster way to move through each page rather then going through each page one by one? Can I jump from page 1 to page 6 directly? I read through the manual but did not see anything.

Here's a help file with some info and tips on maneuvering the HDD title menu, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

Also once in a while when I am watching TV program through the 2160, it would flash bright for a second and then go back to normal. Has anyone seen this, is it normal or a defect?

There are all kinds of pic "artifacts" today with the transition to digital so its hard to tell whether it's a production, broadcast or home system defect... lots of moving parts, so to speak. I've had 10-min. of black on ABC-HD, mid-program loss of video or audio, etc.

The only time I was able to prove where a problem came from was a House episode on Fox-HD where there was bad macroblocking on two diff. HDTV tuners watching live but no macroblcoking thru the 3575 tuners on those TVs, so obviously a problem in the transmission.

Check for repeatability, like on a certain channel, certain time or program to see if there's a pattern, but it's prob. not something that will be as obvious as my House episode.

For help on other questions you might have, click #1 in my sig. for a list of help files.
post #3493 of 3505 Old 06-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Hi again, another question about this machine: If I want to record TV to DVD, is there some kind of HDD buffer? Or, is the data recorded directly into the DVD?

I have read that the 2160 is a little slow after press the STOP button (in DVD mode)

Cheers to all.
post #3494 of 3505 Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Hi again, another question about this machine: If I want to record TV to DVD, is there some kind of HDD buffer? Or, is the data recorded directly into the DVD?

Your best source for answering these questions are in Section 4. Record & Copy in the list of help files that appears if you click #1 in my sig.

Recording to HDD or to DVD are detailed in Sections 4b and 4c.

The 2160/A and 513 are *always* recording/buffering to the HDD in SP rec mode the channels you tune. See help file 4d. AR & PLTV for detailed info.

Quote:

I have read that the 2160 is a little slow after press the STOP button (in DVD mode)

I don't know where that comes from. If you mean it's "slow" to stop a playback, not true at all. If you mean it's "slow" to stop a recording, not true for a manual recording, it stops immediately; if timer recording, it may fool people because you must hold the Stop button for 2 sec to stop a timer rec. That's to prevent an "accidental" stop in case you're simultaneously playing a title where you could be pressing Stop often during playback.

Accidental Stop of a timer rec was a problem in the 3575/76 units, so Funai added the long hold of Stop button in the 2160, then even added a Yes/No dialog in the 2160A and 513.
post #3495 of 3505 Old 06-18-2010, 11:43 AM

How accurate does the clock stay on the 2160a when it is set manually?
I know both of my Polos drift about 1-2 minutes a week.

Also, just to confirm, having this on a UPS is good since it dumps all timer recordings on a power outage?

Thanks
Grant
post #3496 of 3505 Old 06-18-2010, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

When Auto Clock is off, my 3575 and 2160 clocks all gain approx. 10-20 sec per month.

On power-backup time, this is an item in the help file on erroneous or misleading info in manual:

"6. Power backup time is 30 sec
True ONLY IF Auto Clock is set to OFF. When set to AUTO or MANUAL (even if you have no confirmed time signal), power backup extends to 2 min. or more. A power loss for MORE than those time periods loses the clock time and all timer rec programs (cuz they're tied to the clock). However, HDD titles, channel memory, and all menu settings remain."

A UPS is a good idea, esp. if you lose power pretty regularly and your timer list is long or complicated?
post #3497 of 3505 Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks Wajo for all your help. Sounds like my 2160 is OK.
post #3498 of 3505 Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

How accurate does the clock stay on the 2160a when it is set manually?
I know both of my Polos drift about 1-2 minutes a week.

I've got one 3576 and three 2160's and every clock is different. I don't remember exactly when I set the clocks last but it's probably been 3 weeks or more and I keep auto clock set off. I just set my watch HERE and checked the recorders clocks. They were 10 seconds slow, 35 seconds fast, 40 seconds fast and 45 seconds fast.
post #3499 of 3505 Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Now I'm a new 2160 owner. I'm testing the QP of the records mainly real time (if possible) to "DVD" vs "HDD to DVD" (dubbing High vs HQ), using L1. (Time recorded: 1 minute)

Using isobuster, I extract the files to my PC and this is what I get:

1. The file size recorded directly from L1 to DVD its smaller.
2. The file dubbed in High have some codec problems in one of my PC.
3. The file dubbed in HQ don't have problems, and its (of course) bigger.

Over the QP, it seems that HQ gives a better result, using a 200% zoom the picture has more pixels than the other in High mode... now is that good? I still don't know, because HQ mode (REAL-TIME DUB) is "slow" and etc...

Anyway, after reading this post, I only want to know if HQ is really better than High, or if its only a codec illusion because it "re-encodes the entire program".

High VS HQ

Which image is better? AVSForum UR my only hope. Thanks.
post #3500 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 06:04 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Now I'm a new 2160 owner. I'm testing the QP of the records mainly real time (if possible) to "DVD" vs "HDD to DVD" (dubbing High vs HQ), using L1. (Time recorded: 1 minute)

Using isobuster, I extract the files to my PC and this is what I get:

1. The file size recorded directly from L1 to DVD its smaller.
2. The file dubbed in High have some codec problems in one of my PC.
3. The file dubbed in HQ don't have problems, and its (of course) bigger.

A few comments. If you want HQ recording in the end, that would be better to record in HQ. When you select DVD you can change the record level by pressing the "REC MODE" button. The new setting will briefly show on the lower right on the screen. The default is SP mode if you don't change it. This works on the hard drive as well, I tried it just now to confirm that. Note on the hard drive, if you backup into the autostart record buffer to start the recording it will be in SP mode.

1. Not sure but guessing that this is SP mode.
2. Strange your PC found some problems here. I would think it was in SP mode but not sure.
3. I think you re-sampled a SP recording to HQ.

I looked at the two pictures and didn't see any differences. My guess is that the recording source is limiting your resolution in this case.
post #3501 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Now I'm a new 2160 owner. I'm testing the QP of the records mainly real time (if possible) to "DVD" vs "HDD to DVD" (dubbing High vs HQ), using L1.

Anyway... I only want to know if HQ is really better than High, or if its only a codec illusion because it "re-encodes the entire program".

High VS HQ

Which image is better? AVSForum UR my only hope. Thanks.

Recording direct to DVD? Dubbing in real-time? Might you be using inferior 16x media purchased in a retail store? YIKES!

"High" indicates high-speed dubbing to DVD of a hard drive recording at whatever the recording mode was used for the original hard drive recording. With this understanding "High" has nothing to do with picture quality. If one changes from "High" to some other recording mode for dubbing this requires re-encoding and the dubbing is done in real-time. This necessarily reduces picture quality and rolls up real-time laser use. The common wisdom is to avoid both situations. Wajo covers all this is in detail (so it isn't necessary for new owners to reinvent the wheel). Start your research with the first post in Wajo's sticky thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3502 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 10:45 AM

I've been researching this and haven't been able to find a way to do it.
It would be nice to add the title when you set the timer, but that does not seem possible.

Also, thanks for the info on how to delete the opening and closing of a recording. Having those first few seconds was driving me nuts but then I found the instructions. Works great!

Grant
post #3503 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

It would be nice to add the title when you set the timer, but that does not seem possible.

Grant

Sorry, but you can't title a recording when setting the timer. You can only title it anywards, a definite let down on Funai's part.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3504 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Sorry, but you can't title a recording when setting the timer. You can only title it anywards, a definite let down on Funai's part.

... and #1 on our Wish List!
post #3505 of 3505 Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, thanks for the info on how to delete the opening and closing of a recording. Having those first few seconds was driving me nuts but then I found the instructions. Works great!

Hopefully you found those instructions in the MAIN Sticky thread for the Mag?

That's where you should be able to find anything you need from the list of help files here.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page