Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydunlop View Post

Excellent.

To confirm/clarify - The STB there is a SA 8600, so just coax in and out. From looking at those diagrams, it would seem to work as : Cable Feed in to DVDR, coax out from DVDR to "In" on the SA STB, and coax out from STB to the TV?

For DVD viewing, I can use composite cables from the DVDR to the TV on a Line connection.

I'd just like to make sure I'm not missing something critical about this setup,

Just add a line connection from STB back to DVDR for recording any scrambled channels only the STB can tune.

For the connection from DVDR to TV, can be Composite, S-Video+L/R audio, Component+L/R audio, or HDMI whichever works best in your system... mine works best in my analog cable system using Digital Composite cables.

Also, your STB should be viewable with your existing(?) coax connection to the TV, as if the DVDR wasn't there, but you might get a better pic from the STB with its own line connection to the TV... personal choice.
wajo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Member
 
scottydunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Appreciate the fast replies! I'm a bit confused about the part about the line connection from the STB to the DVDR - as the STB only has a 1 output - coax - won't that have to go to the TV directly? What determines what is scrambled or not?

(I'm not there now, but having a friend tackle this for my arrival).
scottydunlop is offline  
post #993 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
If your STB has only one output, coax, your connection might be more complex... STBs *usually* have line connections as ouptut, with coax as an option since it's considered not the "best" for pic quality.

If your STB is reqd to decode scrambled channels, you'll need a line connections to record those on the DVDR. In fact, some cable systems scramble ALL channels so only the STB can decode them... that'd be worst-case for you cuz of the single coax out.

I don't have a STB, so not sure how to work with one that has ONLY coax out. It'd be fine IF you don't want to or have to record scrambled channels from the STB, cuz then the DVDR and the STB could tune their own channels separately and "never the twain shall meet." They'd be happy on their own.

You could accomplish this with a 2-way splitter if you prefer.

This goes "bust" if ALL your channels are scrambled...in that case, guess you'd have to connect to STB 1st on coax, then out to DVDR, then out to TV from DVDR. Then, you'd have to have the STB on a channel you want to record with no option to record one channel while watching another on your TV... both units would be busy recrording one scrambled channel the STB delivers to your DVDR, whicv would be set on L1 as the Source (back line connector on the DVDR).
wajo is offline  
post #994 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132


There's hope yet for the 2160A!

Funai has a new Support page for FIRMWARE UPDATES.

Not ours yet, but coming soon?????

When it does appear, you have to click the "Accept" button below agreement in Step 2 to get the actual files for downloading.


wajo is offline  
post #995 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Lazza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh my, that is encouraging. Perhaps Funai are, gasp!, listening to their customers?!?!


_Lazza
Lazza is offline  
post #996 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
SteelTownGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A FW update can't come soon enough. Complaints are starting to get posted at walmart.com about the 2160A. Here's the latest 1/5 star review titled Faulty Unit??:

Quote:


Just received this recorder yesterday and had problems with it from the start. I recorded some stuff off tv onto a dvd+ r and when I went to finalize it the progress bar would go to 1% and that's as far as it would go. I waited for a few minutes and then got an error-19 code on the screen that said it basically couldn't perform this task. I tried with 2 more dvd+rs and got the same results so I went online and found that this was a pretty common flaw with this model and the only way to get it to finalize is to unplug it for awhile then try again. This worked perfectly but I'm not going to unplug this machine every time it won't finalize. That's very unacceptable! I'm returning this one to Wally World for a refund and will buy another new one of these to see if it has the same problem. I really like the design and features of this dvd recorder and hope the next one is in perfect working condition, I'll review that one when it arrives as well. Oh, by the way it won't record to dvd-rw either.

The Q&A section is also starting to fill with similar info:

Quote:


Now, if you UNPLUG the Magnavox, and then plug it in again, you can then use your +RW or -RW disk.

The downside is that you lose ALL your Timer Recording settings.

Do you really want to do this every time you want to use a new RW disk?

As long as you have any Timer Recording dates, you will have trouble with RW disks. The 2160A's software is messed up.

Seeing as how this is the last HDD DVDR in the US market widely available, I hope this finalization bug doesn't become the death blow.

Don't bother trying to direct people to AVS Forum, either. Walmart will delete posts that reference any website (to prevent spammers/advertisers). I did a review where I simply said there is a great support community for these machines that can be found by Googling "H2160MW9" and that was apparently against the rules, too.
SteelTownGuy is offline  
post #997 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Member
 
scottydunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm... in the "bust" scenario, would this be just like a really dumb VCR - ie. the Magnavox unit won't be changing the channel for me, I'd have to manually change the STB channel, for it to record whatever it sees?

Is there a specific question/questions I can ask the local cable co. to find out if I can use this as I want?

Thanks again!
scottydunlop is offline  
post #998 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydunlop View Post

Hmm... in the "bust" scenario, would this be just like a really dumb VCR - ie. the Magnavox unit won't be changing the channel for me, I'd have to manually change the STB channel, for it to record whatever it sees?

Is there a specific question/questions I can ask the local cable co. to find out if I can use this as I want?

The cableco will most likely "fib" to you saying something like, "Oh, no, you'll need our cable box to see anything on your TV... how many do you want for all your TVs... only $12 each per month."

These DVDRs won't change the STB channel for you. If you have a STB/DVR, those have a record setting that auto-changes its channel, then you just need a coordinating timer rec in the DVDR. Some standalone STBs (no DVR) also have some sort of "reminder" or "auto-tune" feature... not sure on that tho.
wajo is offline  
post #999 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Member
 
scottydunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How very true about the cable co.

So, the worst case for me is that with just one coax out from the STB, it can still record channel X at Y time for Z duration? I just won't be able to watch and view another one?
scottydunlop is offline  
post #1000 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydunlop View Post

How very true about the cable co.

So, the worst case for me is that with just one coax out from the STB, it can still record channel X at Y time for Z duration? I just won't be able to watch and view another one?

Yes, it should receive the "descrambled" signal from the STB, just as your TV does now, and record that video and audio from the channel the STB is on.

IF you discover the STB has any additional output besides coax, you could set the DVDR 1st on the coax, as shown in that sketch 1b, do a channel scan in the DVDR and see how many channels might be UNscrambled... those you could record directly while retaining the ability to record the scrambled channels with the line connection between the STB and the DVDR... AND watch one channel on the TV while recording a diff. channel on the DVDR.
wajo is offline  
post #1001 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Boy, this is a "Good News - Bad News" day... Funai has just now responded to my previous flurry of emails with the following:

From: customerservice@funai-corp.com

To: me

Subject: [29D-118EA361-0E5F] Sylvania Customer Support Inquiry - Message ID 252009-11016

Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:32:28 PM

Thank you for your inquiry,

We are determining these as warranty issues and the units will need repaired. Units with this error code (E19) will need to call the warranty dept:

The warranty department is available Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm pacific time.

If you have any questions about your warranty or are having a warranty issue, please contact administration by phone. The number to call is 1-800-396-6919.

Jim 1599
Customer Support
wajo is offline  
post #1002 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
DeeKaye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Do you have a 2160 or 2160A?

For people with the A version, including that "A" in their posts will be essential going forward.

Good question...I'll have to look.

EDIT: OK, it's a 2160A...

DGK
DeeKaye07 is offline  
post #1003 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
DeeKaye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


We are determining these as warranty issues and the units will need repaired. Units with this error code (E19) will need to call the warranty dept

The heck with that. I'll either a) live with it, or b) let WalMart handle it. I've got a protection agreement on the thing (I've been burned before by a DVD recorder, an LG, and had a protection agreement on that one and was glad I did). If it gives me enough trouble I'll just let them take care of things. Or, last option, return it and get something else altogether, though I've no idea what (other than a Tivo HD, which I don't want because of the subscription fee...which is why I got this machine in the first place, to keep from paying a monthly fee)....

I dunno. Like I mentioned above, I've had no problems so far. But then I haven't had anything on the programming timer when trying to finalize a disk, yet....

SIGH!

DGK
DeeKaye07 is offline  
post #1004 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

A FW update can't come soon enough. Complaints are starting to get posted at walmart.com about the 2160A . . .

Seeing as how this is the last HDD DVDR in the US market widely available, I hope this finalization bug doesn't become the death blow.

Don't bother trying to direct people to AVS Forum, either. Walmart will delete posts that reference any website (to prevent spammers/advertisers). I did a review where I simply said there is a great support community for these machines that can be found by Googling "H2160MW9" and that was apparently against the rules, too.

That explains why my positive review for the 2160 never appeared at walmart.com. My review also mentioned the great support community at AVS.

I've consulted PDF versions of service manuals for three different Funai HDD/DVD recorders, the oldest of which is the Sylvania HDRV200F from 2005. Each of these service manuals has a "Firmware Renewal Mode" section describing updating the firmware from a disc. There is no information that firmware discs have been made available by Funai so that owners may update the firmware of their own machines. Perhaps it's Funai's policy that owners must return their machines to Funai for firmware updates.

Should new purchasers of the 2160A have their machines shipped directly from WalMart back to Funai for the necessary "warranty" service?

This is what Barney Fife would say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_P2aUZJyA

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #1005 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

Seeing as how this is the last HDD DVDR in the US market widely available, I hope this finalization bug doesn't become the death blow.




I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Wally world doesn't want to deal with high rates of returns due to faulty equipment. They'll think nothing of just pulling it off the website.

Not good news at all.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #1006 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised. Wally world doesn't want to deal with high rates of returns due to faulty equipment. They'll think nothing of just pulling it off the website.

Not good news at all.

WalMart should send them all back to Funai with the advice to correct the problems. In six months they'll come back as the Magnavox H2160MW9B with a price of $325.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #1007 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I've replied to their email with a query on handling this with a FW update, if possible, and referred them again to the two forums where people who already have 2160A units would be able to get all the help they need for the simple task of downloading and uploading a FW update.
wajo is offline  
post #1008 of 3505 Old 05-12-2009, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ti-triodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Damfino
Posts: 2,179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

WalMart should send them all back to Funai with the advice to correct the problems. In six months they'll come back as the Magnavox H2160MW9B with a price of $325.


They're not going to waste their time. These things are not exactly high demand items. Walmart just wants to sell them and forget them, not to lose money on an item with a high return rate.

Like I said before. This does not look good.
ti-triodes is offline  
post #1009 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Member
 
Trucmuche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

The heck with that. I'll either a) live with it, or b) let WalMart handle it. I've got a protection agreement on the thing (I've been burned before by a DVD recorder, an LG, and had a protection agreement on that one and was glad I did). If it gives me enough trouble I'll just let them take care of things. Or, last option, return it and get something else altogether, though I've no idea what (other than a Tivo HD, which I don't want because of the subscription fee...which is why I got this machine in the first place, to keep from paying a monthly fee)....

I dunno. Like I mentioned above, I've had no problems so far. But then I haven't had anything on the programming timer when trying to finalize a disk, yet....

SIGH!

DGK

DGK,
What do you mean by "protection agreement" on the 2160A. Is this the 2-year extended warranty ($19.88) that you bought from Walmart at the same time than the 2160A for ?
How did it work for you when you said "I'll just let them take care of things" ?
Trucmuche is offline  
post #1010 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Member
 
Trucmuche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Boy, this is a "Good News - Bad News" day... Funai has just now responded to my previous flurry of emails with the following:

From: customerservice@funai-corp.com

To: me

Subject: [29D-118EA361-0E5F] Sylvania Customer Support Inquiry - Message ID 252009-11016

Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 1:32:28 PM

Thank you for your inquiry,

We are determining these as warranty issues and the units will need repaired. Units with this error code (E19) will need to call the warranty dept:

The warranty department is available Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm pacific time.

If you have any questions about your warranty or are having a warranty issue, please contact administration by phone. The number to call is 1-800-396-6919.

Jim 1599
Customer Support

Wajo,
At least you got a reply from Jim 1599. He has not yet responded to my emails of last Tuesday and a friendly reminder of last Sunday...
I will call try to call the Warranty line tomorrow and see what they say.
Trucmuche is offline  
post #1011 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,033
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Funai: "This is not a firmware issue."

Here's Funai CS response to my email seeking a FW update to correct the E19 DVD-ops "defect" in the 2160A, rather than a "Warranty Issue."

From: customerservice@funai-corp.com
To: me
Subject: [29D-118EA361-0E5F] Sylvania Customer Support Inquiry -
Message ID 252009-11016
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:05:50 PM [View Source]

Thank you for your inquiry,

This is not a firmware issue.

Jim 1599
Customer Support

Quote:
From: me
Sent: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:54:09 -0700
To: customerservice@funai-corp.com
Subject: Re: [29D-118EA361-0E5F] Sylvania Customer Support Inquiry - Message ID 252009-11016

Isn't this something that can be handled with a firmware update, with a downloadable file on your Support website, where there's already one FW update for a Bluray player there?

The 2160 help site I linked to before would be able to help people not familiar with the download/upload process cuz MANY people reading that site have lots of experience with the process.

At least the MANY people who have 2160A units and that read that site daily would get fully operational units in just a few minutes, without having to send their units back for repair or refund?

Once again, here are the trwo forums where that upload/download help would be available:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1054933

wajo is offline  
post #1012 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Member
 
richardav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Funai: "This is not a firmware issue."

Here's Funai CS response to my email seeking a FW update to correct the E19 DVD-ops "defect" in the 2160A, rather than a "Warranty Issue."

From: customerservice@funai-corp.com
To: me
Subject: [29D-118EA361-0E5F] Sylvania Customer Support Inquiry -
Message ID 252009-11016
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 6:05:50 PM [View Source]

Thank you for your inquiry,

This is not a firmware issue.

Jim 1599
Customer Support

Well, that is pretty disappointing. I guess they figure the hassle and expense of shipping the unit in for repair will discourage most owners. I suspect most who can't live with the problem will just return their units to Walmart for a refund, and wait for an updated model. At least the problem was discovered early enough that many buyers can be forewarned. Will Walmart allow a review of the machine on their website that quotes the Funai Customer Non-support position on this issue?
richardav is offline  
post #1013 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Member
 
twenty711's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do we go above Jim's head?
twenty711 is offline  
post #1014 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
DeeKaye07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucmuche View Post

DGK,
What do you mean by "protection agreement" on the 2160A. Is this the 2-year extended warranty ($19.88) that you bought from Walmart at the same time than the 2160A for ?
How did it work for you when you said "I'll just let them take care of things" ?

Yep, that's the one I mean.

I've no clue...I haven't tried using it yet. Like I mentioned above, I haven't had the problems some others have had, yet.

Honestly? It's working and doing what I want it to do, which is save stuff to the HDD. I've got a DVD recorder that works perfectly well (a Panasonic) and if push comes to shove, I'll just use BOTH of them to do what I need to....

So I'm probably gonna keep the 2160, unless it dies for some other reason. (Knock on wood it won't though!)

DGK
DeeKaye07 is offline  
post #1015 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone having the finalize issues with the A models tried doing it on their PC's? I'd think anyone posting here has a box with at least one DVD burner in it and maybe that would be a 2 step work around besides deleting timer programs or unplugging for half an hour.
Dartman is offline  
post #1016 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Newbie
 
mbrowne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardav View Post

Well, that is pretty disappointing. I guess they figure the hassle and expense of shipping the unit in for repair will discourage most owners. I suspect most who can't live with the problem will just return their units to Walmart for a refund, and wait for an updated model. At least the problem was discovered early enough that many buyers can be forewarned. Will Walmart allow a review of the machine on their website that quotes the Funai Customer Non-support position on this issue?

The CSR I had on the phone called in an interface issue. So if they take these back under warranty, I'd like to hear what repair they do to fix it. It would be nice to hear they have an updated model available.
mbrowne is offline  
post #1017 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Member
 
richardav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

That explains why my positive review for the 2160 never appeared at walmart.com. My review also mentioned the great support community at AVS.

Several posters have mentioned writing reviews for the 2160, but the Walmart.com page I have for the 2160 has zero reviews for this product. Has anyone seen reviews for the 2160A model?
richardav is offline  
post #1018 of 3505 Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,667
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardav View Post

Several posters have mentioned writing reviews for the 2160, but the Walmart.com page I have for the 2160 has zero reviews for this product. Has anyone seen reviews for the 2160A model?

At the moment there are 227 reviews for the 2160 at walmart.com. Walmart.com doesn't differentiate between the 2160 and the 2160A.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10104532

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #1019 of 3505 Old 05-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Member
 
Trucmuche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucmuche View Post

Wajo,
At least you got a reply from Jim 1599. He has not yet responded to my emails of last Tuesday and a friendly reminder of last Sunday...
I will call try to call the Warranty line tomorrow and see what they say.

Update :
* This morning I got a reply from Jim 1599, and no surprise, he sent me the same answer that he sent Wajo.
* So I called their support number, talked to Jenny.
* First thing to know for those of us who have opened a service desk ticket (SDT) online, the phone CSR Jenny does not recognize and cannot link to the the SDT number (ex of Wajo above = [29D-118EA361-0E5F] ) or pull up the email exchange I had with Jim 1599.
I had to describe my issue from scratch. Even though in this case it is not too long or complex to describe, it would have been nice if Funai's Call Management System can link the online ticket and the phone systems ...
* Make sure you also have the S/N handy (it is hidden on a white sticker under the DVDR).
* If I understood Jenny correctly, as my machine is less than 3 months old, Funai will pay for the Parts and Labor for this Warranty repair.
And also (if I heard correctly) they can pick it up, or I can drop it at one of their local Authorized Service Center :
http://www.funai-corp.com/support/asc.aspx

I have not decided yet what to do, send it for repair right away, try to get more information from Funai before sending it, or return it to Walmart and buy a new one.
One can hope that the machine I bought (along with others early purchasers on the forum here) is part of a bad production batch (laser head, some mechanics defect linked to the timer ??, FW bug, although Funai said no, etc), and that the next machine is part of a new batch for which the defect was uncovered and corrected in their production lines
Trucmuche is offline  
post #1020 of 3505 Old 05-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Member
 
Trucmuche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Has anyone having the finalize issues with the A models tried doing it on their PC's? I'd think anyone posting here has a box with at least one DVD burner in it and maybe that would be a 2 step work around besides deleting timer programs or unplugging for half an hour.

Dartman, I did not try the finalization on a PC. Although in my early stage of troubleshooting steps (when I thought it was a DVD media issue causing the error 19 at the initial formatting by the 2160A), I tried to format first the discs on my PC (Plextor DVD+RW), but somehow the 2160A could not read my formatted DVD+RW by the PC. Maybe I did something wrong and never tried again.
Trucmuche is offline  
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off