Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Hey Wajo. Do I get the sense you're itching to pick up one of these?

I had a 3576 itch but now I'm scratching a spot for the Magnavox cuz it'll operate essentialy like my 3575's side-by-side with them!

I'm in ongoing consultations with my Chief Executive Financial Officer, who still thinks the 3575 on MY 47" LCD is HERS! We currently have an "uneasy truce"!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I had a 3576 itch but now I'm scratching a spot for the Magnavox cuz it'll operate essentialy like my 3575's side-by-side with them!

I'm in ongoing consultations with my Chief Executive Financial Officer, who still thinks the 3575 on MY 47" LCD is HERS!

I had a feeling once you started this thread! Yeah, the prospect of an alternate 3576 is very enticing!

I usually let my CEFO get what she wants. I usually get what *I* want that way!
Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I had a feeling once you started this thread! Yeah, the prospect of an alternate 3576 is very enticing!

I usually let my CEFO get what she wants. I usually get what *I* want that way!

I hear you on that... that's why we have an uneasy truce here!

Seriously, tho, hugemoth originally started this Magnavox thread but it got lost in the crash of '08. I had lots of info, so re-created it.

I'm not an "early adopter"... it took 3 months of posts and questions before I decided to try a Philips 3575... sounded pretty solid, and the rest is history!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear you on that... that's why we have an uneasy truce here!

Seriously, tho, hugemoth originally started this Magnavox thread but it got lost in the crash of '08. I had lots of info, so re-created it.

I'm not an "early adopter"... it took 3 months of posts and questions before I decided to try a Philips 3575... sounded pretty solid, and the rest is history!

You certainly made up for your slow start!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys - just got my unit today and got it all set up (mostly) but I'm having trouble getting video from the S-Video out on the back... is there some special setup I'm missing for it or is it a defective unit?

I've got it being fed via S-Video in... using HDMI output I get both video and audio but upon switching the receiver over to S-Video, I only get the audio (and the H2160's channel selector is set to L1). I bypassed the unit to feed the receiver the S-Video directly from my cable box and got my picture so I know the cable is okay. I called the 800 number for help on the back of the remote and the girl didn't know what a receiver was so, um, that call was not very helpful. Any ideas??
Old 09-05-2008, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPC Freak View Post

Hey guys - just got my unit today and got it all set up (mostly) but I'm having trouble getting video from the S-Video out on the back... is there some special setup I'm missing for it or is it a defective unit?

I've got it being fed via S-Video in... using HDMI output I get both video and audio but upon switching the receiver over to S-Video, I only get the audio. I bypassed the unit to feed the receiver the S-Video directly from my cable box and got my picture so I know the cable is okay. I called the 800 number for help on the back of the remote and the girl didn't know what a receiver was so, um, that call was not very helpful. Any ideas??

Hey, one guy brought back 4 units, or 6 units, couldn't be sure cuz HIS S-Video input didn't work... poor QC, blah, blah, blah! At least you asked here!

Go to SETUP > General Settings > Video > Video Input and change the default Video In (Composite) to S-Video In.

That menu is also where you set your aspect for recording widescreen (WS) stuff... it'll record natural WS thru the tuner if you've got it 1st on the coax, as illustrated and described here, but may or may not on signal sent from your cable box via S-Video... it has to be one that outputs WS via analog connection.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks wajo, I read that guy's review - and I hope I'm not as dense... I set the S-Video In just fine and verified via HDMI feed from the unit to my receiver. It's the S-Video Out that's giving me grief. I don't want to make the trip to wallyworld tomorrow to return it but I really think I'm stuck...
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks wajo, I read that guy's review - and I hope I'm not as dense... I set the S-Video In just fine and verified via HDMI feed from the unit to my receiver. It's the S-Video Out that's giving me grief. I don't want to make the trip to wallyworld tomorrow to return it but I really think I'm stuck...

I think the "receiver" must have confused me too... I assumed you meant a TV? Is an AV Receiver involved?

I guess either way, I now know you can't get S-Video out to show a pic, and assume whichever you're referring to, TV or AV Rec., it is designed not to lock out any other inputs when you connect HDMI... only thing I can think of right now. Did you pull the HDMI from the receiver and see if S-Video works?

Since you know about and have set S-Video In, the only thing on the Input is that the Magnavox has TWO S-Video In settings... something there maybe???

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

HTPC Freak... Hey, I think I found the problem.

When Progressive scan is ON, no video will be output via the Video or S-Video outputs.

Set Progressive Scan Off in that same Video menu... HDMI doesn't need it anyway since IT send its own formats under a separate control/button.

In this regard, the 3575/3576 doesn't do this... Progressive can be on, they just don't send progressive but at least they send the interlaced video signal.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:

When Progressive scan is ON, no video will be output via the Video or S-Video outputs.

Man I thought for sure you might have hit the nail on the head. Earlier I did set progressive ON, so I turned it off and still no joy. So here's my setup, just in case there's something in the overall setup causing a conflict:

Receiver is a Denon AVR987 sending video to a Sanyo Z4 pj via HDMI. Cable box had S-Video connection + RCA audio feeding the Denon, I've put the H2160 in-line so it receives S-Video + RCA audio from the cable box now, and is subsequently connected to the Denon w/the same cabling as the cable box was originally. When I wasn't seing video, I robbed my Sony DVPCX995 jukebox's HDMI cable and plugged it into the H2160's HDMI port and switched the Denon over to the Juke's inputs and got both audio and video.

I've got a playstation hogging up an HDMI port on the Denon that I could move to component I guess and just use HDMI on the H2160 since it works, but... I'd like everything to be working right. errgh.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So, the "disconnect" is the S-Video from 2160 to Denon cuz when you bypass the 2160 and run S-video direct from box to Denon, you get video!?

The 2160 must be receiving video from the box cuz it displays on the proj. when you run HDMI from 2160 to Denon!?

Hmmm, right now, just before bed-time, I can only think of a bent pin in one end of the S-Vid cable from 2160 to Denon or not quite connected tightly?

One other thing... turn 2160 off, pull plug for a few sec (10?), then turn back on and maybe it'll reset the standby circuits???

Don't know what time there, but my eyes are beginning to glaze over....

Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Turn BOTH S-Video Inputs ON in the VIDEO menu, JFTHOI?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:

So, the "disconnect" is the S-Video from 2160 to Denon cuz when you bypass the 2160 and run S-video direct from box to Denon, you get video!?

The 2160 must be receiving video from the box cuz it displays on the proj. when you run HDMI from 2160 to Denon!?

Yep, you got it. I unplugged it for awhile and also set the front inputs to S-Video and it's still no go. Last thing I'll do is dust off the multi-meter and start testing pins. I've appreciated all the suggestions and help -thx wajo!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yep, you got it. I unplugged it for awhile and also set the front inputs to S-Video and it's still no go. Last thing I'll do is dust off the multi-meter and start testing pins. I've appreciated all the suggestions and help -thx wajo!

Are you making/changing connections with all units on, off or unplugged (as manual suggests)?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman View Post

Anyway, back to the dubbing. I dubbed a show to a DVD-RW on the 2160. It asked if I wanted to finalize and I declined. Took it to the 3576H. When I put the DVD in, I selected disc menu, it only gave me the option to erase the disk, all the other options such as finalize had a white background and were not accessible. I successfully erased the disk on the 3576H. Tomorrow I will try to burn a DVD in the 3576, leave it unfinalized and see if I can do anything other than erase it in the 2160.

I was able to duplicate the "Erase Disc" only option... I put a new -RW in my Pioneer 640 and Initialized it (tried both Video and VR mode), recorded a 30-sec test to it, put it in my 3575 and pressed the Disc Menu button to see if I could see the Pio 640 title... no go. I then pressed the REC button and got the "Cannot record to this disc" notice. I then went to Disc Edit menu and got ONLY the Erase Disc option, so I was able to erase the disc that was originally Initialized/Formatted in the Pio 640 so it was now usable on the 3575.

I also tried this in reverse and could at least get the other machine (Pio 640 and 3575) to Initialize/Format and Erase the other machines -RW disc, but neither could show a disc menu or play a title rec by the other machine on that UNFINALIZED -RW disc.

So, when you get around to the 3576-2160 Finalize test, please start with a brand new -RW in one or the other machine, rec a short segment, put it in the other machine and FIRST see if you can call up the Disc Menu and show your test title. If you can, then that disc *should* be Finalizable in the other machine.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

So, when you get around to the 3576-2160 Finalize test, please start with a brand new -RW in one or the other machine, rec a short segment, put it in the other machine and FIRST see if you can call up the Disc Menu and show your test title. If you can, then that disc *should* be Finalizable in the other machine.

Wajo,

I have both a Philips 3575, and a Mag 2080. I also ordered a Mag 2160 today.

In any event, for the 3575 - 2080, The Mag 2080 can play a DVD -RW recorded on the Philips 3575 and not finalized, but it cannot not finalize it, it can only erase it. (the vice versa is true as well).

Actually, most of my viewing is done using an OPPO 971 DVD player, and it also is able to play an unfinalized DVD -RW from either machine.

So being able to play a DVD in the 2160 won't automatically mean that it can finalize it (in fact I suspect it won't be able to finalized it).

Rick
Old 09-06-2008, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rickie, thanks for the info!

It IS strange, tho, since they're both +VR machines, yet they apparently act like a DVD-Video machine (Pio, Panny. etc.) to each other's unfinalized -RW discs... my Pio 640's unfinalized -RW discs can't be read or recorded to in my 3575, but my 3575 CAN Erase it and treat it as a fresh +VR disc... and vice versa... deja vu all over again.

I wonder now about +RW discs... do you have any of those to try?

WAIT A MINUTE! I just realized a 2080 is NOT the same 3576 clone as the 2160... very different machines! Try the Finalize thing when you get your 2160!?

Old 09-06-2008, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey, a real WAG... try plugging the S-Video from box into FRONT S-Video input to at least check out the internal circuit from S-Vid in to out???

WHo know, the extra S-Vid input on front is new, and maybe the assembler didn't get the memo!?

Old 09-07-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

Wajo,

In any event, for the 3575 - 2080, The Mag 2080 can play a DVD -RW recorded on the Philips 3575 and not finalized, but it cannot not finalize it, it can only erase it. (the vice versa is true as well).

Actually, most of my viewing is done using an OPPO 971 DVD player, and it also is able to play an unfinalized DVD -RW from either machine.

So being able to play a DVD in the 2160 won't automatically mean that it can finalize it (in fact I suspect it won't be able to finalized it).

Rick

Can you do us a favor and post back here if the same remote controls both Maggies?

Many thanks!
Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Anyway, back to the dubbing. I dubbed a show to a DVD-RW on the 2160. It asked if I wanted to finalize and I declined. Took it to the 3576H. When I put the DVD in, I selected disc menu, it only gave me the option to erase the disk, all the other options such as finalize had a white background and were not accessible. I successfully erased the disk on the 3576H.

Quote:

Wajo,

Arkyman & Rickie...

I think there's a tool in our Philips/Magnavox units that can be used to record and finalize between them... it's "Make Recording Compatible" in the Recording menu.

I'm hoping Arkyman can retry his 3576 unfinalized disc in the 2160, or vice versa, BUT first, after putting the unfinalized recorded disc in the 2nd unit, go to the RECORDING menu and set "Make Recording Compatible" to ON. Then see if it allows recording to that disc and even Finalizing. I believe it should.

And Rickie... even tho you have a DIFFERENT MACHINE THAN WE'RE MAINLY INTERESTED IN, THE OLDER 2080 (had to make clear so people don't get confused)... maybe you can do the same. It should also work when going from/to the older 80GB Mag 2080.

If that works, I think you can leave that setting ON in both machines and swap discs back and forth?

Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wajo,

Rick

This is what happens with the 2160 also. What I failed to mention before Wajo is that I did play the disk recoreded in the 2160 on the 3576, it will play the unfinalized disk, but it wont allow you to do anything editing wise to the disk except "erase"

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=wajo;14613902]Arkyman & Rickie...

I think there's a tool in our Philips/Magnavox units that can be used to record and finalize between them... it's "Make Recording Compatible" in the Recording menu.

I'm hoping Arkyman can retry his 3576 unfinalized disc in the 2160, or vice versa, BUT first, after putting the unfinalized recorded disc in the 2nd unit, go to the RECORDING menu and set "Make Recording Compatible" to ON. Then see if it allows recording to that disc and even Finalizing. I believe it should.

Ok Wajo. I've seen that setting, I will turn it on in both machines before I burn the next dvd and try editing with the other machine. Right now, Days of our boring lives is recording to the 2160 for my wife As soon as it goes off at 1:30 I'll give this all a try.

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Good and Bad news.

First, I "did" turn on Recording Compatibility in both machines before I dubbed these disk.

Good news, a disk recorded in the 3576 or 2160 do not have to be finalized for playback in the opposite machine.

Bad news, neither will allow a disk recorded in the other machine to be edited in any form except for the "Erase Function"

I also "finalized" the disk after the above experiment. I wanted to see if the "Erase" funciton was still selectable after finalization. It was still available.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can you do us a favor and post back here if the same remote controls both Maggies?

Many thanks!

I cant speak for the 2080, but I did do a test with the 3576 and the 2160. These remotes are non-compatible. Neither remote will operate the opposite machine.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Good and Bad news.

First, I "did" turn on Recording Compatibility in both machines before I dubbed these disk.

Good news, a disk recorded in the 3576 or 2160 do not have to be finalized for playback in the opposite machine.

Bad news, neither will allow a disk recorded in the other machine to be edited in any form except for the "Erase Function"

I also "finalized" the disk after the above experiment. I wanted to see if the "Erase" funciton was still selectable after finalization. It was still available.

Crapola!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Crapola!

Yeah I know, I was disappointed and a little confused Wajo, why would the same company make these two units incompatible? I'm stumped

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yeah I know, I was disappointed and a little confused Wajo, why would the same company make these two units incompatible? I'm stumped

Yea, their manuals both say they use the Philips +VR recording std so I had great hopes too! I had to double-check cuz the 2160 is acting like my Pio 640, which uses DVD-Video rec std, except I can't even play unfinalized discs like your pair does... so, that's the start of a "good sign"???

However, some things take longer to figure out and I'm still hopeful!

Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Bad news, neither will allow a disk recorded in the other machine to be edited in any form except for the "Erase Function".

AHA! (Stands for Another Hairbrained Action!)

I think you need to record to the disc in the 2nd machine, based on reading the short description on pg 40 of the manual, which reads:

"Use this feature to make the unfinalized +VR mode discs
recorded on other unit recordable on this unit. When you
make an additional recording on this unit with “Make
Recording Compatible” set to “ON”, the title list is
automatically converted to our style."

The 2nd sentence clearly refers to an ability to "make an additional recording" on the disc. If it DOES allow that, maybe it's AFTER that recording that other actions can be taken in the 2nd machine?????????????

Old 09-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I started over with a new disk. I recorded a 2 minute program on the 2160 in SP to the new dvd. Then I took that disk to the 3576 and made a 2 minute recording on it using SP from the HDD. Now the weird part. The 3576 now allows you to "Edit the title" of the disk or "Protect on or off". The 2160 will now only let you "Erase the disk".

I'm conducting another short test before I give up for now. I'm going to record another short program to Hdd then to disk in the 2160 and see if the options swap between the recorders once again.

Ok, now I'm done. After recording the 2nd program to the disc via the 2160, all opitons are now once again available in Disc Edit on the 2160

Edit Disc Name
Erase Disc
Finalize
Disc Protect OFF > ON

I'll have to wait about 30 minutes to report back on how the disc and options react in the 3576H. Its currently recording a show.

One thing this should mean. You could record a whole disc full of programs and whichever machine was used to record last will finalize the whole disc with recordings made off both machines. But it looks like the "the last one to have the ball is gonna win", so to speak

Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Arkyman, FANTASTIC news... now we're getting somewhere!