Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 3505 Old 06-20-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by auskck View Post

Small firmware bug causing a big problem. Someone didn't clear, set or check some code.

And should be fed to hungry tigers immediately.

Or immediately after fixing the bug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 3505 Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Funai has GOT to fix these machines. I've never heard of ONE person with an "A" machine who doesn't have this malfunction, which means they're ALL defective.

They should be fixed at Funai's expense. Don't minimize this. The machines should never have been sold in this condition.

I don't know that "Funai has GOT to fix these machines." As long as they can get away with selling them "as is", they are under very little pressure to spend a penny to fix them.

It seems likely, unless the designers made a really ridiculous mistake, that these units can be fixed by an upgrade. If that is the case, it does seem incredibly short sighted not to provide it. However, the buyers have very little direct leverage against Funai. Individuals cannot afford to sue, and I doubt that a lawyer would be willing to do a class action suit, since the class is of modest size, and if the resolution was an update, there would be no windfall for the lawyers to get a percentage of.

Based on Funai's inaction, I suspect that the only hope is to appeal to Walmart to get involved by either boxing up the units and returning them, or at least threatening to do so. Walmart would have the leverage to get Funai to act. I don't think Funai could afford to be Black-Listed by Walmart. I really think people who bought these units from Walmart need to try to find a responsible Customer Service rep and make it clear that the issue is significant, but probably very inexpensive to fix. There is no reason why Walmart should be putting up with returns, and if an update was available, there could be a significant increase in demand and profit potential for both Walmart and Funai.
post #1323 of 3505 Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Funai has GOT to fix these machines. I've never heard of ONE person with an "A" machine who doesn't have this malfunction, which means they're ALL defective.

They should be fixed at Funai's expense. Don't minimize this. The machines should never have been sold in this condition.

In the past there have been plenty of low-end manufacturers who put out low-cost recorders with significant bugs that they never fixed -- remember cyberhome. Back then, they were dismissed as junk and we could always fall back on Panasonic and Pioneer equipment. Now of course, there is no other choice since the whole DVDR genre is at the end of it's commercial life-cycle. I would be very surprised if funai did anything other than sell the stock in their warehouses.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #1324 of 3505 Old 06-20-2009, 11:26 PM

I just got the mag 2160a as I could not get the phillips anymore for my dad, who now that he cannot use the vcr is stuck. however He is a senior in the vcr age and I thought the HDD/dvdr programing would be very similar to programing a vcr
BUT I am getting conflicting vibes on this site about the +RW so I just want to be clear before I bring it to him for fathers day as he will not understand the error codes etc and what to do.
Will he have a problem recording with an +rw. IT does not need to be finalized but is formating a problem (confused from above richard av post)
He would most likely be using a recurring daily event timer
thanks for the clarification

Happy fathers day to all those fathers out there!
post #1325 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfot View Post

I just got the mag 2160a as I could not get the phillips anymore for my dad, who now that he cannot use the vcr is stuck. however He is a senior in the vcr age and I thought the HDD/dvdr programing would be very similar to programing a vcr
BUT I am getting conflicting vibes on this site about the +RW so I just want to be clear before I bring it to him for fathers day as one will not understand the error codes etc and what to do.
Will he have a problem recording with an +rw. IT does not need to be finalized but is formating a problem (confused from above richard av post)

As a general rule, +RWs do not need to be finalized in order to play them on most DVD players made within the last few years, unless edits were done to the DVD. If you just dub from the HDD to the DVD, a finalize should not be necessary. However, they always need to be formatted. The +RW does seem to be the best work around for archiving from the 2160A if you are not going to want to regularly erase your scheduled recordings and re-enter them after finalizing any DVDs you have created. You could get a spindle of +RWs and format them all before programming the recording events. If the unit is going to be used mostly for time shifting, the recording should be to the HDD, and one won't have to fight with the DVD issues. Most programs would then be erased after they have been watched. The HDD will hold over 60 hours in SP mode, which I personally find to be quite acceptable. Any particularly interesting programs that one wants to archive could be dubbed to the pre-formatted +RW DVDs without having to delete the recording schedule.

As a general rule, I find that I can HIGH dub 3 one hour SP programs to a DVD after I edit out all the commercials and prevues. That gets each program down to about 42 or 43 minutes. In SP mode the DVD will often hold about 9 minutes more than the 2 hours specified, but the capacity is actually in bytes, so the number of minutes is not exact.

Good Luck.
post #1326 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:

BUT I am getting conflicting vibes on this site about the +RW so I just want to be clear before I bring it to him for fathers day as he will not understand the error codes etc and what to do.

Everything that Kenavs said is correct.
I will just complete his answers with this one question of yours about "programming like a VCR".
For me - Yes it was like a VCR because I always used the timer direct entry:
I enter the show programming in the 2160A the same way I did in my old VCR for ex. a weekly recording on Monday at 08 pm until 09 pm on Channel 5 etc.
And I select the quality of the recording similarly to the regular speed or slow speed on a VCR (for more details please refer to wajo's more exhaustive explanations here :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
and the sub-section :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...8&postcount=13).
And I never used any of those special tv guides codes to setup the VCR programming. If your Dad used to do that, then this will be different for him, as there is no TVGuide on Screen with the 2160A.
And obviously, besides this simple way of using the 2160A, this machine can do much more than that, see again wajo's full sticky notes.
I am sure your Dad and you will enjoy it (if he never has to use the DVD part and only the HDD part as mentioned by Kenavs).
post #1327 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 09:24 AM

well he may use the dvdr part as he has 2 tvs and may watch in another room but if we format a bunch like you said and then just pop them in each day, we should be ok right? He did not have tvgo

Also could you clarify between when you want to delete the program between
rewrite and delete?
I got myself messed up one time on my phillips and it would not record on the dvd after I deleted a program IT said something like not acceptable disc?
( I also watch back in different rooms when cleaning etc)
The one good thing was that it reverted to the HDD, so I did not lose my program
I assume that is the case with the mag

If he decides to go comcast cable,will the mag or my phillips work?
I ready somewhere that comcast changed the freq and the dvr no longer recognizes it???
post #1328 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

well he may use the dvdr part as he has 2 tvs and may watch in another room but if we format a bunch like you said and then just pop them in each day, we should be ok right? He did not have tvgo

Also could you clarify between when you want to delete the program between
rewrite and delete?

He would record one or more programs to the HDD, prob. with timer rec programs for watch and delete, then open the Title menu, select a title to play, then delete it from the same menu after watching it, as described in this help file under "Playback of HDD Titles."

Quote:

I got myself messed up one time on my phillips and it would not record on the dvd after I deleted a program IT said something like not acceptable disc?
( I also watch back in different rooms when cleaning etc)
The one good thing was that it reverted to the HDD, so I did not lose my program
I assume that is the case with the mag

Yes, the Mag reverts to the HDD for recording if there's no disc in the tray, or its full, or if the program is "copy-once" protected, etc.

Quote:

I ready somewhere that comcast changed the freq and the dvr no longer recognizes it???

No one can say for sure how many cable channels any DVDR will tune in a specific cable system and area of the country. The Mag will tune the same channels any analog/digital tunered TV or digital OTA converter box (the govt coupon ones).

More info on that is in this help file.
post #1329 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Wajo is much faster than me answering your questions so I will just share my experience for your 1st point.
That is my configuration and the way I do it. And it works well for me since the bug discovery. i.e. I don't experience any more the error E19 b/c I don't have to format or finalize any DVD+RW since I have pre-formatted enough of them for a lifetime :-)

Quote:

I have Comcast Digital starter and it works.
But my experience with the 2160A and the "expanded" cable channels (35 and higher) is a bit mixed. For now, although I just did a rescan and tried the trick of wajo for finding the hidden QAM channels, I still cannot get on the 2160A some of the channels I Can see on my LCD TV or I can find in the DTA from Comcast.
Note : I just read this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16687714
and will see if it helps me or not to tune in to these channels.
Ex : I have on my TV : 86-9 = History, 86-10 = Bravo, 86-11 = HGTV
but on my 2160 A I only get 86.9 and 86.11 for History and HGTV, 86.10 Bravo says scrambled program.
And there are other channels like USA, TNT I cannot find either.
HTH
post #1330 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucmuche View Post

Note : I just read this http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post16687714
and will see if it helps me or not to tune in to these channels.
Ex : I have on my TV : 86-9 = History, 86-10 = Bravo, 86-11 = HGTV
but on my 2160 A I only get 86.9 and 86.11 for History and HGTV, 86.10 Bravo says scrambled program.
And there are other channels like USA, TNT I cannot find either.
HTH

Someone (wish I could remember who for credit) said they had done a brilliant thing to "find" hidden channels in his PhilMag DVDR:

He ADDED ALL the major channel numbers in the entire channel range in his PhilMag's Manual Channel Preset menu (while tuned to the digital tuner, of course).

To limit the work, you could first note the primary channel numbers your digital tunered TV or converter box was receiving, then ADD just those numbers in the Manual Channel Preset menu? I fno joy, THEN you could ADD all the other numbers just to be sure the cableco hasn't mapped to different primary numbers.

In either case, you could always go back and DELETE those channels that are truly all-acrambled.

If you have more than one unit, like I do, you only have to do the major channel "discovery" work on the first unit.

This is an easy way to "discover" ANY digital channels in a primary channel group w/o having to search for individual subchannels, like entering 87.2, 87.3, etc. -- The PhilMag will enter ALL subchannels in a primary channel group, whether scrambled or not, so after getting out of the menu with the Return button (to set the channel selections in memory), he surfed through that group with the CH+/- button to see where the machine might have memorized the "hidden" channels.

On my 3575's, once I get a primary group with "Scrambled" channels, I found on "some" subsequent auto-scans, the machine seemed to get "smarter" and it even skipped the Scrambled channels and gave me only the tunable ones when surfing with the CH+/- button.
post #1331 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 10:55 AM

Why do discs need to be formatted before you use them? I have not used a DVD recorder before, my only experience is with computer burners, and I know with computer burners, you do not need to format a blank disc before you use it.
post #1332 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 01:09 PM

when we want to tape over a recording on dvd
what is the difference between overwrite and delete (I know what delete is)
I deleted one time and for the next recording it said that there was something wrong with the disc (+rw) Finally got it to record another day but forgot what I did (was playing around)

will overwrite go over what you taped without having to delete it?
post #1333 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post

Why do discs need to be formatted before you use them? I have not used a DVD recorder before, my only experience is with computer burners, and I know with computer burners, you do not need to format a blank disc before you use it.

Each type of DVDR may need to format a blank DVD for its particular recording std, which in our case is +VR, a Philips std. Pio and Panny format for Video-mode or VR-mode, depending on the disc type (RAM are VR) and a setting the user can make for a particular mode.
post #1334 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

when we want to tape over a recording on dvd
what is the difference between overwrite and delete (I know what delete is)
I deleted one time and for the next recording it said that there was something wrong with the disc (+rw) Finally got it to record another day but forgot what I did (was playing around)

will overwrite go over what you taped without having to delete it?

Deleting a title on a -RW or +RW "opens" the space used by that title so it can be burned again by new video... it tells the DVDR's CPU that the space previously burned on a RW disc is available again for burning. The previously recorded title is just "gone" as far as the CPU is concerned.

Overwrite does just what it says... it replaces a portion or all of an existing title on an unfinalized DVD. There are various ways to overwrite (all, beginning, end, center, etc.) which you can specify, as described on pg 48 of the manual. So, essentially, you have to tell the DVDR what portion of a title, or all, should be written over... you can combine different material this way even after the first stuff has been recorded.

One good use for Overwrite is to delete the "Empty Title" on an unfinalized DVD-R or DVD+R, an instance of replacing ALL of a previously "recorded" title (or "Reserved Fragment" in the case of the Empty Title). It's a semi-automated process as described here.
post #1335 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM

so from what I see in your last link, the overwrite will not work on a +rw, correct?
That must be why when I hit it and had an event programed, it did not tape to the dvd
post #1336 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so from what I see in your last link, the overwrite will not work on a +rw, correct?
That must be why when I hit it and had an event programed, it did not tape to the dvd

No, that link is just for Overwriting an "Empty Title" on an unfinalized -R or +R disc. An Empty Title is part of the Philips +VR system and appears on every DVD disc that isn't filled up with actual video titles, i.e., has ANY room left for more recording.

That link says Overwriting doesn't work on -RW/+RW discs TO DELETE THE EMPTY TITLE cuz those discs are designed to return any deleted space (title) that's overwritten, then deleted, as in the procedure for a -R/+R disc.

With +RW discs, check pg 48-49 of the 3575/3576 manual, which describe ways to Overwrite sections of titles or entire titles. The procedure is really the same as for Deleteing the Empty Title described in the link, EXCEPT you don't delete the Overwritten title at the end of the process, as you do with -R/+R discs.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Overwriting is the thing you're really trying to do... it's a pretty "odd" procedure, usefull only in very odd circumstances.

I believe you're just trying to delete existing title(s) on a +RW disc and replace them with new titles. With +RW discs, you can use the Disc Edit menu to Erase all titles, OR, if you want to delete only certain titles, you can highlight titles one at a time, click OK, then select Edit > Title Delete.
post #1337 of 3505 Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is your machine, or your father's, and you can certainly use it anyway you want, but I would never record directly to a DVD. I have had my Philps DVDR3575 and DVDR3576 since shortly after each was introduced, and I have never done a direct record to the DVD.

I often watch a program and then delete it. I find that a more pleasant experience on the HDD since positioning is faster and I can skip through commercials quicker.

If I am going to save the program or share it, I often take the time to clean off the trash at the beginning and end and delete the commercials before I dub to the DVD. More programs fit on the DVD that way, and it is a more pleasant viewing experience when watching the DVD.

The Philips units do not have the DVD bugs that the 2160A has, but even in them, I don't want to use the DVD unit any more than I have to. I consider it to be a weak link in these units and one I most fear could fail and be very difficult to repair or replace. For that reason, I even play commercial DVDs on a DVD player. I want to save the DVD part of the DVR.

If I had a 2160A, with the DVD bugs, I would definitely try to use the DVD part of the unit as little as possible. I think I would also get a lot less unpleasant surprises by always recording to the HDD. It would be a shame to lose a program you really wanted to watch because a DVD was defective. By recording a program I valued onto the HDD, I could make multiple attempts to get it onto a DVD if I had to.

It up to you and your dad how to use the unit, but I just thought I would share my opinion.
post #1338 of 3505 Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenavs View Post

It is your machine, or your father's, and you can certainly use it anyway you want, but I would never record directly to a DVD. I have had my Philps DVDR3575 and DVDR3576 since shortly after each was introduced, and I have never done a direct record to the DVD.

I often watch a program and then delete it. I find that a more pleasant experience on the HDD since positioning is faster and I can skip through commercials quicker.

If I am going to save the program or share it, I often take the time to clean off the trash at the beginning and end and delete the commercials before I dub to the DVD. More programs fit on the DVD that way, and it is a more pleasant viewing experience when watching the DVD.

The Philips units do not have the DVD bugs that the 2160A has, but even in them, I don't want to use the DVD unit any more than I have to. I consider it to be a weak link in these units and one I most fear could fail and be very difficult to repair or replace. For that reason, I even play commercial DVDs on a DVD player. I want to save the DVD part of the DVR.

If I had a 2160A, with the DVD bugs, I would definitely try to use the DVD part of the unit as little as possible. I think I would also get a lot less unpleasant surprises by always recording to the HDD. It would be a shame to lose a program you really wanted to watch because a DVD was defective. By recording a program I valued onto the HDD, I could make multiple attempts to get it onto a DVD if I had to.

It up to you and your dad how to use the unit, but I just thought I would share my opinion.

Good post, recording to HDD gives you many more options. I'm with you I never record to DVD direct. also own the 3575 and 3576 without any problems.
post #1339 of 3505 Old 06-23-2009, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Anyone ever have problems copying self made camcorder tapes using a S-video input, specifically flashing video when panning bright scenes and overall excessively high video levels?

Anyone??

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #1340 of 3505 Old 06-23-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Anyone ever have problems copying self made camcorder tapes using a S-video input, specifically flashing video when panning bright scenes and overall excessively high video levels?
Anyone??

Nope.
post #1341 of 3505 Old 06-23-2009, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Hi:

It looks like WNED has added a subchannel with WNED-FM 94.5. I discovered this while surfing on my Magnavox H2080MW8 DVR. When I landed on 17.3 it was the program WorldFocus but the soundtrack was classical music. After awhile of listening the music ended and the announcer came on and said you are listening to WNED-FM 94.5. I then checked on my Artec T3APRO converter box. There was no music detected and the soundtrack was correct for the program, ie audio of a news program. I tried cycling the audio button on the Artec from english1 to english2 but no change there. I also went back to the Magnavox and changed the audio from stereo to sap to see if I could get it to give the correct audio. No go, it was still the 94.5 FM audio. I then tried finding it on my Artec by inputting subchannels from 43.1 to 43.12 but couldn't find it. So I guess that it is meant to be hidden from us. Now, I understand that the Rochester PBS has been doing this for a while now. When i've received them from tropo a little while ago I don't recall this type of problem on their 21.3 subchannel. So, I don't think that it is my equipment as such(I hope!). I'm betting that they have implemented something incorrectly and will fix it soon (I hope!). In the meantime I wonder if there is anybody from the Buffalo/Toronto areas who have a Philips 3575/76 or Magnavox 2160/2080 and can check that channel to see if they are getting the same or any old tuner for that matter. That's WNED 17.3 Thinkbright.

Thanks

Edit:

Hi Again:

I don't know what to say, but it seems to have been corrected. I just checked and the soundtracks between the Artec and Mag are now in sync. The program was called Onstage. I had noticed this problem initially last night. I guess I will keep monitoring and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Edit2:

1)The WNED-FM feed is now back on 17.3.

2)A member on another website, using a Philips 3505 has also been experiencing the same issues. That member has reported that this has been happening on and off for the last week. So, it looks like it may be a Philips/Magnavox specific bug of some type. Therefore i'm wondering if this will also affect later Mag/Philips units.

3)I've posted this post to a number of threads here on AVSForum that cover the Philips and Magnavox units. In order to facilitate a single easy to follow discussion it would be easier if you could please post your replies to the " Buffalo, NY - HDTV" thread over
here, as suggested by another member.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=137214

Edit 3:

Problem solved- solution: use the audio button to cycle through the available audio streams for each channel.

I didn't realize that the audio button works with the digital side only and going through the menu system, which allows you to select between stereo/sap, only applies to the analog side. When I tried going through the menu system, I guess I assumed that whatever was there applied for both sides. In fact it does allow you to choose stereo/sap, even though you're tuned to a digital channel. So I guess that that kind of made me assume that those were the only choices. From there I jumped to the conclusion that it must be due to a bug or improper implementation on WNED's part.

Of course, if you haven't already guessed, I haven't read the manual. I guess I ought to crack it open and get acquainted with it so that I don't jump the gun in the future.

I just want to apologize for jumping the gun and wasting bandwidth.
post #1342 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM

Wajo,

I purchased the 2160A (even though it has some issues) but have a question. I was looking through this forum at one of your first posts (back in 2007) regarding connectivity. You suggest connecting the DVR off the cable first then going to the cable box. Is that still the way to go? The owners manual has it such to go through the cable box first. Is it possible with this "A" machine that it will not "scan" and possibly not tune channels. Thanks for the help.
post #1343 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe49 View Post

Wajo,

I purchased the 2160A (even though it has some issues) but have a question. I was looking through this forum at one of your first posts (back in 2007) regarding connectivity. You suggest connecting the DVR off the cable first then going to the cable box. Is that still the way to go? The owners manual has it such to go through the cable box first. Is it possible with this "A" machine that it will not "scan" and possibly not tune channels. Thanks for the help.

The "A" machine is the same as all others in connection scheme... place it 1st on the coax.

Some people with "special circumstances" have found they can't connect that way, but that's basically only if your cableco sends something in the signal to prevent recording or needs a return signal for monitoring, etc.... you'll know if you have any special circumstances if things don't work "normally."

Some people, however, have placed their machines 1st on the coax EVEN THO they can't tune any channels (all scrambled) cuz they found it gives their normal TV pic a boost in quality from its amplified coax passthru.
post #1344 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Some people with "special circumstances" have found they can't connect that way...

The most common circumstance is probably On Demand / Pay Per View content. I don't rent movies through my cable provider, but I do like to watch some of their free content on occasion. Nowdays, you can even get some pretty good HD On Demand stuff for free.

They won't work because this DVDR doesn't allow 2 way communication to pass through. But, it's an easy fix by putting a coaxial splitter first in line. You don't get the benefit of signal amplification that the DVDR provides, but that's it.
post #1345 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeter105 View Post

A member on another website, using a Philips 3505 has also been experiencing the same issues. That member has reported that this has been happening on and off for the last week. So, it looks like it may be a Philips/Magnavox specific bug of some type. Therefore i'm wondering if this will also affect later Mag/Philips units.

This post does not specifically address your situation but I will summarize tuning performance variations between two somewhat similar Funai-manufactured “450” models, one older, one newer.

Back in April I purchased a little-used Sylvania ZV450SL8 digital tuner combo recorder of April 2007 manufacture. After initial setup with a direct connection to the Comcast coax the Sylvania seemed to perform normally when tuning digital sub-channels. (When I say “normally” I am referring to the performance of my July 2007 Magnavox 2080 that is also connected directly to the Comcast coax.) Within a few days the Sylvania 450 lost the Comcast sub-channels. After several channel scans the Sylvania 450 was either unable to maintain its hold on Comcast's digital sub-channels or failed to find Comcast’s digital sub-channels. Following that the Sylvania 450 was set up OTA where it performed well. A couple of days ago the Sylvania 450 was given to my step-daughter. More detail concerning this Sylvania 450 model's performance is found in these posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16386159

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post16429995

In the last week I purchased a little-used Magnavox ZV450MW8A digital tuner combo recorder of August 2008 manufacture. This Magnavox 450 is somewhat similar to the Sylvania 450. So-far the Magnavox 450 has maintained its hold on Comcast's digital sub-channels.

In this post I give an initial report on the Magnavox 450 and compare the tuner "parts numbers" between the Sylvania 450, my Magnavox 450 and my Magnavox 2080:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16692061

Of course, the performance differences between these Funai "450" models may be due to sample variations rather than a "bug."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #1346 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Wajo,

Thanks for the info
post #1347 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownGuy View Post

The most common circumstance is probably On Demand / Pay Per View content. I don't rent movies through my cable provider, but I do like to watch some of their free content on occasion. Nowdays, you can even get some pretty good HD On Demand stuff for free.

They won't work because this DVDR doesn't allow 2 way communication to pass through. But, it's an easy fix by putting a coaxial splitter first in line. You don't get the benefit of signal amplification that the DVDR provides, but that's it.

SteelTownGuy,

I have Comcast cable (not sure what they do) but I look to sometimes watch free movies with OnDemand. You suggest a splitter. Right now I have a 4 port amplifier in the beginning so tha would suffiice) Is that to split the incoming cable signal with one output to the DVR and the other to the Cable Box. The coax out of the DVR would go to the TV and the coax out of the cable box go nowhere. The Video/Audio Out of the cable box would go to the Line In of the DVR. Is this correct?
post #1348 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 10:33 AM

SteelTownGuy,

In your reply you mention using a splitter to fix the issue if you watch OnDemand. I currently have Comcast cable so I am not sure how the 2160A will tune their stations. I use a 4 port amplifier so that would work instead of a splitter. You connect one port to the DVR (ANT In) and One port to the cable box (Ant In). The coax out of the DVR would go to the TV. The Video/Audio Out of the Cable Box would still go to the DVR (Line In). Sound Correct?
post #1349 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe49 View Post

SteelTownGuy,

In your reply you mention using a splitter to fix the issue if you watch OnDemand. I currently have Comcast cable so I am not sure how the 2160A will tune their stations. I use a 4 port amplifier so that would work instead of a splitter. You connect one port to the DVR (ANT In) and One port to the cable box (Ant In). The coax out of the DVR would go to the TV. The Video/Audio Out of the Cable Box would still go to the DVR (Line In). Sound Correct?

Go here for setup and instructions.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657
post #1350 of 3505 Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM

Hello. I just found these forums through a Google search and have just registered. I noticed the thread for the Magnavox DVD Recorder with the 160 GB hard drive.

I am looking to replace my Panasonic DMRES35V (that, incidentally, has given me nothing but problems for all the time I have owned it) and saw the Magnavox item advertised at Walmart. I was all excited, as it has a hard drive and the reviews were mostly quite positive...

And then I read that one cannot watch one channel while recording another. Is that so? I have an Element HDTV and basic cable only, if that helps. Thank you for any help!
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page