Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjerseyguy View Post

I recently purchased a Magnavox h2160mw9 recorder So far, I am pleased with the unit
except for my inability to put chapter points on a dvd that are recognized by my other
dvd players. The chapter points work fine with the Magnavox but are ignored by my
Oppo and my Panasonic dvd players. Is this normal with the Magnavox ?

Newjerseyguy,

I have the Mag2160 and an OPPO 971. I do most of my recording to Hard disk in SP mode, then highspeed dub to -RW's. I almost always play these DVD's in my OPPO. I have autochapter set for 10minutes I think. The chapter marks work fine in my OPPO with this sequence. Haven't tried other approaches though. Also, I was surprised to find that the OPPO would play the -RW's even though they were not finalized.

But I do need to finalize if I'm loaning to a friend.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have to admit, I'd prefer to keep this thread to the Mag 2160 as well. If I want info on the Philips, I read the Philips thread. I don't have any problems comparing the two units here -

Rick
post #183 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
My suggestion was mainly to keep the redundancy and duplication down. Just thought that if one thread were to focus on them, comparisons would be better kept to the thread that was actually *equally* devoted to both units (and this really was the only thread the Maggy's got).

I think all the 3575/6 threads are kind of ridiculous, too. I can't see why all questions for the Philips can't just be asked or placed in the sticky, just for the sake of organization. I always thought that's the reason we even had sticky threads in the first place. Just thought I'd suggest trying to keep the only Maggy thread so far pure. But if an "offiicial, dedicated" thread for it needs to be started, maybe that would be better - to just start over with one, I mean. I just think that we should have one, totally dedicated one, because people that are interested in the Maggy on it's own shouldn't have to wade through post after post about another model. Maybe it is virtually a clone, but there might also people who have no interest in the Philips whatsoever (and by the way, I may be wrong - maybe there was another Maggy thread originally - but didn't this thread title actually start out as a Maggy-only thread and the "virtual clone of the Philips" part was tacked on later? May have just been another thread, but I seem to remember one without it).

This forum has really always been basically organized that way - I just hate to see this area turn into a total free-for-all, like that insane CECB sub-forum here. If I were a person looking for info on one particular box, I'd hate to have to refer to that section. It's completely disorganized, and consists of 90% talk which doesn't have anything to do with information on the actual boxes. Mostly whining.

I guess I'm just a bit worried that some of those people who they've let get away with that stuff for so long over there might be drifting over here when they can't find a box which will work as well as they'd like with their VCR's, and they'll start spoiling this area, too. In fact, I've seen a little evidence of that already, in this and other sub-forums. Those people think they have that same free rein everywhere else on this forum. Can't totally blame them, though, as they just let them do as they please over there and barely even moderate it, because I guess they are just planning on dropping the whole sub-forum after next Feb., or whenever it dies down enough.

But whatever. Just wanted people to know where I was coming from.
post #184 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

But if an "offiicial, dedicated" thread for it needs to be started, maybe that would be better - to just start over with one, I mean.

Too late. This thread is established. People who are used to posting in this thread will continue to post here and the thread will continue in the same way the main 3575 thread has remained active despite the sticky. In the worst case we'll see double posting across the threads.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #185 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Too late.

For this one, I realize that.
post #186 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
I just followed the advice given to me on this MAGNAVOX H2160MW9 forum thread by
wajo and rickie and it worked. Thanks guys. I copied a TV show, "SoundStage" to HHD in HQ mode, named the title, manually set the chapter points between songs and dubbed in High to DVD. The DVD-R disk was finalized and
plays fine in all my players.
post #187 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Good to hear... worked just like it should have!
post #188 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know if the 80gb version of the Magnavox actually records on -R discs?

According to the Wal-Mart webpage it doesn't.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8054241

The 160gb version does, tho'. Why the difference (if there actually is one)?
post #189 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Does anyone know if the 80gb version of the Magnavox actually records on -R discs?

According to the Wal-Mart webpage it doesn't.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8054241

The 160gb version does, tho'. Why the difference (if there actually is one)?

Look farther down on that page under "Specifications... all four DVD types are recordable.

I answered your question also in the 3575 thread, but best not to double post.
post #190 of 3505 Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Look farther down on that page under "Specifications... all four DVD types are recordable.

I answered your question also in the 3575 thread, but best not to double post.

Thanks. Hadn't realized this thread existed until after posting there.

In the other thread I suggest punative action...my not being allowed to record off anything but analog for a week.
post #191 of 3505 Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know what is the maximum number of scheduled events the Magnavox will allow. I don't mean repeating stuff. The number of discrete record-once events allowed in the queue.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #192 of 3505 Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what is the maximum number of scheduled events the Magnavox will allow. I don't mean repeating stuff. The number of discrete record-once events allowed in the queue.

36 separate timer programs over one month period.
post #193 of 3505 Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a problem that I had and solved. I posted it originally in the Ar,Little Rock thread for OTA, got lots of buds there that help me out. Anyway, the main problem was between my Directv HD-100 receiver and the Maggy 2160HDD. Here it is in its entirety before I corrected the problem. This may help some of you guys if you ever run into a problem that presents these same type symptoms.

What would cause a screen door affect between my Directv HD receiver, HDD/DVD recorder and my Sony SXRD tv? About a week ago, I started noticing little black squares similar to looking through a screen window or door. Its very faint and can only be seen in lighter scenes like light blues, orange and so on. It does not show up in darker shades of blue. Surprisingly, white does not show it either. This is something new. My tv is about 14 months old and I've never noticed this until recently. I know it didnt exist before because I had several other people like my wife confirm she was seeing it too and had never noticed it before. I actually set my Noise reduction to "on" (I usually leave it "off") because it took the boxes away on Sunday. However, its still set to "on" and I started noticing the boxes again last night. I have not checked anything yet, I've been real busy. Can a loose HDMI cable or a defective cable cause what I'm seeing? It only does this on video 7 where the directv is and on video 6 where my HDD/DVD recorder is hooked and fed by the directv receiver for recordings.

Well, nevermind, I found a bad S-video cable from the Directv(tv input vid 7) to the HDD recorder(tv input vid6). Changed it and the problem is gone. As for it appearing directly from the box to the TV, I unplugged and re-plugged each end of my HDMI cable and the problem is now gone on video 7 too. Checked all connections. The little BBC box seemed like it might have some issues too as moving it around made the problem either slightly worse or better. However, reconnecting both ends of the HDMI cable and changing the S-vid out for a new cable seems to have eliminated the problem. I started to delete the post since I've fixed it, but decided to leave it up as info incase someone else might experience similar problems.

BTW, I could make the problem worse and even completely eliminate it with the old S-vid cable by pushing up slightly on it where it hooks to the Svid port of the HDD/DVD recorder. This could mean one of two things. Either the port a little loose in the HDD or the cable end was worn out and was not making a tight enough connection. Since the new S-vid cable eliminated the problem, I'm thinking the real culprit was a bad end on the old S-vid cable that no longer allowed it to make a tight connection. I've probably pulled on the cable too much as I have had my tv pulled out a lot the last month adding new components and disconnection old components, I'm sure I gave her a good yank a time or two on accident and is probably what caused the problem to start with.

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
post #194 of 3505 Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeluvr View Post

Sure wish someone had taken the time to watch a commercial movie on their 3576 and watch their LED display so I'd know if this problem is built-in.

Man, hated to see you take a machine back that's working fine except for something you see in the display, so I played one of my commercial movies with the INFO screen up, and it showed the movie had 2 titles (?), and 31 chapters. When the playback reached chapter 2, the display showed 1 2 (spaced a little apart), but when it got to chapter 10, the spacing reduced so it looked like 1 10, etc. all the way to chapter 31.

It does this also when playing HDD titles.

So, maybe your display was showing title and chapter numbers as it played?
post #195 of 3505 Old 09-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Thought I'd add this to the thread as an owner of both the 2160 and 3576. I've owned both for about a month. So far I love them, especially the 2160 which features the live tv auto recorder and time shift buffer. For my use's, they are both great machines. The upscaled 1080p thru the HDMI produces near HD PQ from both machines to the TV. PQ is much better than my old philips HDRW720p which only had component vid out (480p capable) to the tv which is 1080p capable. I guess the HDMI 1080p upscaling capabilities is making a huge difference in PQ, especially since its able to work with my sony sxrd 1080p HDtv. I'm personally very happy. Big thanks to Wajo for all his help and info when I was looking for a replacement machine

Living on the FRINGE + Locking OTA locals......Can get very FRUSTRATING at times!
post #196 of 3505 Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyman View Post

Thought I'd add this to the thread as an owner of both the 2160 and 3576. I've owned both for about a month. So far I love them, especially the 2160 which features the live tv auto recorder and time shift buffer. For my use's, they are both great machines. The upscaled 1080p thru the HDMI produces near HD PQ from both machines to the TV. PQ is much better than my old philips HDRW720p which only had component vid out (480p capable) to the tv which is 1080p capable. I guess the HDMI 1080p upscaling capabilities is making a huge difference in PQ, especially since its able to work with my sony sxrd 1080p HDtv. I'm personally very happy. Big thanks to Wajo for all his help and info when I was looking for a replacement machine

Good update... thanks!

Have you been using/moving any discs between the two units with "Make Recording Compatible" ON?
post #197 of 3505 Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good update... thanks!

Have you been using/moving any discs between the two units with "Make Recording Compatible" ON?

not yet, I've not been anywhere to get some more DVD RW's

post #198 of 3505 Old 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM

I have been reading these threads and trying to decide if I need or could use one. I have cable with a DVR and use it a lot but don't have a problem filling it up. I delete items after I have watched them. I do have a bunch of tapes I might want to convert to DVD but if this a lengthy process I might not. Any suggestions?
post #199 of 3505 Old 09-26-2008, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Depends on how "forward-thinking" you want to be. If you'll "always" be renting a service provider's equipment, and you really only watch TV at that DVR location, and you don't really see the need to save anything you watch, then stick with what you've got.

If your home movies are really important and you think a 2nd media would be good for backup to the tapes, a DVDR would be good, either single-disc or with a HDD.

If you also might want to edit your home movies or things you might record off TV, then a DVDR with a HDD would be best.
post #200 of 3505 Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

I do have a bunch of tapes I might want to convert to DVD but if this a lengthy process I might not.

There's really no way around that.
post #201 of 3505 Old 09-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:

Depends on how "forward-thinking" you want to be. If you'll "always" be renting a service provider's equipment, and you really only watch TV at that DVR location, and you don't really see the need to save anything you watch, then stick with what you've got.

If your home movies are really important and you think a 2nd media would be good for backup to the tapes, a DVDR would be good, either single-disc or with a HDD.

If you also might want to edit your home movies or things you might record off TV, then a DVDR with a HDD would be best.

Thanks for the quick answer. The editing might make me buy.
post #202 of 3505 Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When I order PPV's, I like to put them on a disk and save them since I paid money to watch them. Beats paying $20 for them somewhere else

post #203 of 3505 Old 09-27-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When I order PPV's, I like to put them on a disk and save them since I paid money to watch them. Beats paying $20 for them somewhere else

Will both the 3576 and the 2160 record (or copy) stuff from your DirecTV PPV?
post #204 of 3505 Old 09-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will both the 3576 and the 2160 record (or copy) stuff from your DirecTV PPV?

Dont know about the 3576 on PPV, its in the bedroom so I may never know on it, but I'm sure it would work the same as the 2160. The 2160 successfully recorded "THE BANK JOB" and "SCORPION KING PART 2" to HDD. I then edited them accordingly, and successfully burned them to DVD's I noticed on my PPV's it said purchase for viewing and recording. BTW, we only order HDPPV's so the quality being recorederd looks really good. So far, no restrictions or problems burning PPV movies to DVD

post #205 of 3505 Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 2160 successfully recorded "THE BANK JOB" and "SCORPION KING PART 2" to HDD. I then edited them accordingly, and successfully burned them to DVD's I noticed on my PPV's it said purchase for viewing and recording. . . So far, no restrictions or problems burning PPV movies to DVD

I'm amazed the content owners would allow that -- if they know about it. Recording PPV movies off a DVR is the equivalent of ripping and burning rental DVD's.

- kelson h

post #206 of 3505 Old 09-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm amazed the content owners would allow that -- if they know about it. Recording PPV movies off a DVR is the equivalent of ripping and burning rental DVD's.

I'm hooked up HDMI also. Maybe I should delete what I posted, I'd hate for the wrong person to report such customer use back to the owners.

post #207 of 3505 Old 09-29-2008, 07:33 AM

My guess is since you are not recording in Hidef, it's OK.
post #208 of 3505 Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtold View Post

My guess is since you are not recording in Hidef, it's OK.

Yeah, I'm thinking since the Recorder is hooked to the Diretv box via S-video, this eliminates any encryptions that may be embedded in the movies. However, my HDPPV and regular PPV events do say "available for viewing or recording", so they very well could be unrestricted.

post #209 of 3505 Old 10-01-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic View Post

It looks like the end of the line for the Magnavox H2160MW9 at Walmart. They are out of stock.

The only other place selling them is Kirotek, $254, but their restocking fee is 40% unless you can talk them down off their high hiorse!?

Link to them on first page of Sticky (click #1 in my sig.).
post #210 of 3505 Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicLogic View Post

It looks like the end of the line for the Magnavox H2160MW9 at Walmart. They are out of stock.

I got mine just in time then. It arrived via UPS this afternoon.

I now own all three units. The Phillips, the 80G Maggie and the new 2160 Magnovox. Although the 80G Magnovox is at my daughters house.
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page