Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2401 of 3505 Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidjojo View Post

I have recently started to have a problem with my H2160MW9. When I set up a timer recording for my local PBS channels (2.1 or 2.3) it just tries to scan and goes to a blank screen when the timer record starts. I can access these channels for normal viewing and have been able to record these channels in the past. If I set the channel my self before the recording starts, it works fine. I have rescanned for channels several times during the digital conversion and recently but still have the problem. The order of the channels is strange which may have something to do with it. After scanning they show up in this order, 2.3, 2.4, (tries to go to 4.1) 2.1, 2.2.
If I switch down from 4.1 it goes to 2.2 then 2.1 and skips 2.4 and 2.3 and goes to the VID IN. STRANGE!!! Any suggestions on how to fix this confusion?

I'll assume you are OTA in the Minnesota Twin Cities area. Others described the same problem there a while back. There are 2 PBS stations in the Twin Cities broadcasting different programming from different transmitters on different Physical channels, but they are trying to share the same Display Channel. This was a decision that reportedly was forced on Station Engineering by Station Marketing. I have glanced at the ATSC standard, and I have not noticed anything that made it really obvious that this was intended. I certainly did not see rules that cover exactly what to do in this case. The designers may not have anticipated the exact situation in the Twin Cities, and I am not shocked that a receiver might have trouble.

KTCA broadcasts on UHF 34. It was reported to be using Display subchannels 2.1 and 2.2

KTCI was reported to be broadcasting on UHF 16 with a permit to switch to on UHF 23. I have no idea when the change will occur, or if it may have taken place. It was reported to be using Display subchannels 2.3 and 2.4.

Since KTCI has the lower Physical Channel assignment, it would be found first during a scan, and was probably placed first in the Display Channel 2 mapping of the tuner, even though the PBS Stations want it to use the higher sub-channel numbers. I think this has a lot to do with the strange order of the displayed channels.

I would not be surprised if the tuner goes to Physical Channel 16 when you ask it to record 2.1 or 2.2. When it finds 2.3 and 2.4, it may not try 34, because the designers may not have anticipated that the lower sub-channel numbers would be on the higher Physical Channel.

I would suggest entering the Physical Channel numbers and the desired sub-channels when you want to schedule a recording. I believe this will get around the problem.

Enter 34.1 to record 2.1
Enter 34.2 to record 2.2
Enter 16.3 to record 2.3
Enter 16.4 to record 2.4
With the anticipation of having to eventually switch to
Enter 23.3 to record 2.3
Enter 23.4 to record 2.4
when they switch to 23 as requested on their Permit.

HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3505 Old 10-04-2009, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Here's a link talking about when KTCI might change. The last post says early '10
post #2403 of 3505 Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ40 View Post

Thanks to all who weighed in with suggestions as to the PBS channel issues here in Minneapolis/St. Paul -- and particular thanks to kenavs who dug into how TPT (the PBS operation here) broacasts and found the alternative channel settings. Here's what I did and where I've ended up.

Using the 2160's remote, I went to channels 16 and 34. (Channel 23 is occupied with two sub-channels -- 23.1 and 23.2 -- that are not PBS broadcasts.) I found the following connections:

Entering 16.1, 16.2 or 16.3 displays 2.3.
Entering 16.4 displays 2.4.
Entering 34.1, 34.3 or 34.4 displays 2.1.
Entering 34.2 displays 2.2.

I then set time recordings for channels 34.1 and 16.1. The recording worked on 34.1 (it recorded 2.1); it did not work for 16.1 (black screen; interestingly, on the "Title" screen on the 2160 when that title was selected the information bar at the top referenced channel 2.1 even though 16.1 maps to 2.3).

I then manually deleted channel 2 -- twice. Then I added channel 34; that gave me 2.1 and 2.1. Then I added channel 16; that gave me 2.3 and 2.4; however, I could not then access 2.3 or 2.4 by entering them directly, nor could I scroll to them with the "channel +" or "channel -" buttons. The only way I could get to 2.3 or 2.4 was by entering "16.1" or "16.4". Scrolling up from below 16 didn't find them either -- it went right past. In other words, the channels were there but they were invisible -- you had to ask for them by name by entering them directly in order to get to them.

I then did an automatic channel scan. That changed things again. It ended up giving me 2.1 and 2.2 in the normal progression (I can navigate to them using "channel +" and "channel -") but I cannot get to them by entering them directly. If I enter "2.1" I get 2.3. I can get to 2.1 by entering "34.1". As for 2.3 and 2.4, they now do not show up if I scroll down (starting, for example, at 5.1 and hitting "channel -" I get 4.1, 2.2, 2.1 and then the other lines which are displayed below the channel list). I can, however, now go to 2.3 by entering "2.3" or "16.1" -- either takes me there. If I then scroll up from 2.3, I get 2.4, then 2.1, then 2.2, then 4.1, etc.

I then set four timed recordings, with these results:

Setting to record on 2.1 -- blank screen.
Setting to record on 2.3 -- successful recording of 2.3.
Setting to record on 16.1 -- blank screen.
Setting to record on 34.1 -- successful recording of 2.1.

In summary, I now can access, and do timed recordings on, all of the PBS channels. If I want to watch them live through the 2160's tuner (in order, for example, to take advantage of the ability to pause a live broadcast) I can watch 2.1 on 34.1, 2.2 on 34.2, 2.3 on 2.3 (or 16.1) and 2.4 on 2.4 (or 16.4). If I want to do a timed recording I can do so with the same channel settings. I've stuck a Post-It Note (made by 3M Company here in St. Paul) on the side of the television with a note "To record 2.1, set it to 34.1" and I think that I'm set.

As an aside, our digital televisions, which display the PBS channels in their normal order, also displayed those channels when I entered channel 16 or 34.

Again -- thank you all very much for your research and suggestions. We are now back in business -- at least until TPT makes further changes in its channel scheme!

Here's the follow up post to Kenavs's recommendation if interested.
post #2404 of 3505 Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Here's the follow up post to Kenavs's recommendation if interested.

That was a response to my recommendations before I had any feedback. I live in Denver Metro and we don't have a similar situation to do testing on.

I was reluctant to reference or post that information, since I was not sure exactly what the manual deletes and adds had done, and I am a little concerned that the post might actually cause some confusion. The results will be different for someone who just did an automatic scan and someone who did manual changes.

Since the manual actions did not fix things completely, my current recommendation for the KTCA/KTCI situation is to leave the automatic scan alone, and use Physical Channel addressing for scheduled recording.
Enter 34.1 to record 2.1
Enter 34.2 to record 2.2
Enter 16.3 to record 2.3
Enter 16.4 to record 2.4
With the anticipation of having to eventually switch to
Enter 23.3 to record 2.3
Enter 23.4 to record 2.4
when they switch to 23 as requested on their Permit.
post #2405 of 3505 Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Thanks Kenavs! I am OTA here and your suggestions worked fine. I have been reading up here ever since I started looking for a replacement for my Panasonic DMR-EH50. If I switch to cable I may go back to the Panasonic if the TV Guide still works. It was so convenient for TV schedule viewing and recording.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great info.
post #2406 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Kenavs, well I hooked up the 2160a for my father today. What he didn't mention to me was he's been having the same 2.1/2.2 problems with his old 3575. His workaround(which he figured out himself) was when he wanted to do a scheduled event for 2.1 or 2.2 was to program the timer as normal, then use the UP/DOWN button to tune the tuner manually to 2.1 or 2.2(whichever was his next event) and then NOT turn the DVDR off. Apparently he said this worked and allowed him to record 2.1 or 2.2. While this worked, your method was much better and will allow him to turn OFF the DVDR, among other things.

I did a test on both his old 3575 and new 2160a and the following are the results(applicable to both DVDRs):

To record 2.1 schedule the event for 34.1
To record 2.2 schedule the event for 34.2
To record 2.3 schedule the event for 2.3 (or 16.1 or 16.3)
To record 2.4 schedule the event for 2.4 (or 16.2 or 16.4)

Because the 34's or 16's don't show up in the channel scan you've got to manually enter them in the schedule screen instead of just using the up/down channel.

BTW for anyone who might know, is their a way to record the LIVE TV buffer on the 2160a? I'm sure it's in the manual or even Wajo's sticky but I'm going to try and take the easy route

The 2160a works very nicely with his 3575, he's quite happy the remotes and operation are very similar and it's nice the remote codes are different for side by side operation. I hooked the 2160a via HDMI and the 3575 via Component with the 3575 being first in the coax loop. The 2160a must have a slightly more sensitive tuner, it gets one station(KPXMdt St. Cloud MN) he's not been able to get with any of his digital tuner devices
post #2407 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

BTW for anyone who might know, is their a way to record the LIVE TV buffer on the 2160a? I'm sure it's in the manual or even Wajo's sticky but I'm going to try and take the easy route.

Saving the AutoRec Buffer on the HDD - 2160

If you want to record something in the buffer to the HDD as a "permanent" title, find the spot you want as the beginning of the title, using the normal play/pause mode buttons, and press PAUSE, then REC. Pressing REC marks the start point and puts you in normal Chase Play mode so you can then immediatley go forward to the ending point for that program if it's already recorded and in the buffer. Press PAUSE at that ending point and press STOP 2X. You should see the "writing to disc" menu. Your movie/title has been saved to the HDD.

If the desired ending point hasn't been reached yet in the live program, once it reaches that point press STOP 2X. Getting the exact start and end points is not required at this point since you will have a chance to do Front- and End-Cuts on the title once on the HDD.

Quote:

The 2160a works very nicely with his 3575, he's quite happy the remotes and operation are very similar and it's nice the remote codes are different for side by side operation. I hooked the 2160a via HDMI and the 3575 via Component with the 3575 being first in the coax loop. The 2160a must have a slightly more sensitive tuner, it gets one station(KPXMdt St. Cloud MN) he's not been able to get with any of his digital tuner devices

The 3575 might be amplifying the signal a little for the 2160?

Did you get your Dad's HDD and DVD stats for his 3575?
post #2408 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The 3575 might be amplifying the signal a little for the 2160?

Did you get your Dad's HDD and DVD stats for his 3575?

Thanks for the tip about saving the buffer.
I agree, the 3575 may be amplifying it just enough for the 2160a to tune it
I forgot to get the stats, I'll call him tonight and after I try and explain to him how to record the buffer, I'll try and have him do the Skip command to bring up the hours, I forgot all about it I'd be curious to see just how hard he's used it.
post #2409 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, that was fun He had the same problem I had getting into the skip screens, guess we just don't push the buttons fast enough Here are the results of his 3575:

DVD-WR 22:37
DVD-RD 183
HDD on time 3,086

Not a record but looks like currently he'd be in 4th place on your chart.
Looks like he's using his 3575 like a DVR and only burning a fraction of the things he records. I've set up a separate DVD player to his TV but it looks like he's still using his 3575 to play DVDs
post #2410 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Got it... thanks... he's got more hrs on HDD than I do!
post #2411 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Or at least when you last checked
I think I also figured why his DVD-WR was so low(I thought it would be much higher). He only records to HDD and then HS copies to DVDs, if the burner is 8x speed I bet we'd have to multiply the WR times by 8? to figure how many (playable) hours of DVDs(16x -R) he's burned.
With the stacks of recordable DVDs around his place I knew it had to be more than 23 hours of material. If that WR time is also pulsed somehow during HS burns it could be even more hours of actual burned material.
post #2412 of 3505 Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Or at least when you last checked
I think I also figured why his DVD-WR was so low(I thought it would be much higher). He only records to HDD and then HS copies to DVDs, if the burner is 8x speed I bet we'd have to multiply the WR times by 8? to figure how many (playable) hours of DVDs(16x -R) he's burned.
With the stacks of recordable DVDs around his place I knew it had to be more than 23 hours of material. If that WR time is also pulsed somehow during HS burns it could be even more hours of actual burned material.

That's an interesting question requiring a SWAG answer:

22.5 hrs x 60 min. = 1350 min.
1350 min. / 15 min. per HSD Write Time = 90 Discs?

All the Write time counts, but I assumed the pulsed marking time to be 1/2 of the total HSD dub time, and HSD time is 30 min. per disc.

Also assumes only -R/+R discs, so no Erase time.

Thus, a truly Sceintific Wild Ass Guess (SWAG)!
post #2413 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Questions regarding selecting titles to add to dub list;

1. When I select my titles and add them to the list to dub, when I get to a point of having limited space left, I look for a short tilte to add to fill up as much of the DVD as possible without dropping to the next lower quality level. Problem is, every time I do this with a clip that should fit, it doesn't and the record menu greys out the higher quality speed. I then have to go back and delect that 1st title I added to regain that higher quality. I add up the time shown for each title including the last one that didn't fit and the total time is less than the two hour SP limit. Why is this? Mind you, I'm not talking about getting within minutes of the two hour limit, but leaving around 5 to 10 minutes of 'headroom'.

2. After I dub my selected titles, the empty space shows much more than that last clip I was trying to ad. As much as 10 minutes or more difference. I then try to add that clip, or another but I get a message thet the idsc is full. I have not finalized and I use -R or +R discs (not RW's) if that matters. The speed is SP. I have not overwritten that 'empty space' segment yet either. What/where is the problem?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2414 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Separate observations;

1. That disc utility; I found that I have to wait for the disc to stop spinning before I can enter that utility screen if I insert the disc first. This doesn't happen if I bring up that screen before I insert a disc. Anyone confirm this?

2. When I do a 'overwrite' to get rid of that 'empty space' title before I finalize a disc, I have found you don't need a active RF cahnnel to fill in that segment. I just put the source to the DTV tuner with no RF cable connected and record that blank channel off the tuner. The recorder supplies a video 'black' signal and the recording proceeds ok. I am able to then delete that title afterwards per wajo's write up.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #2415 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hmmmm, it sounds like you're talking about trying to fit LESS than 2:00:00 and it doesn't work?

If so, that's very odd since an all-SP-mode title list should be able to fit up to 2:10:00 using HSD.

The only things I can think of that would negate that 2:10:00 SP fitting on a std disc are:

1. The disc was used in a Panny or Pio before and that space is lost when used in the 2160.

2. One of the titles is NOT SP.

3. One or more of the titles are heavily edited, which reduces the amount of time that HSD can dub.
post #2416 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Separate observations;

1. That disc utility; I found that I have to wait for the disc to stop spinning before I can enter that utility screen if I insert the disc first. This doesn't happen if I bring up that screen before I insert a disc. Anyone confirm this?

On my 2160, I can insert the disc 1st, Press SKIP 123, then arrow right while disc is still Loading, and the "Please Insert Disc" screen shows. After the disc loads fully, the data pops up.

I can also press SKIP 123 first, arrow right and get the "PLease Insert Disc" screen, THEN insert disc and, after it loads, it shows the data.

Quote:

2. When I do a 'overwrite' to get rid of that 'empty space' title before I finalize a disc, I have found you don't need a active RF cahnnel to fill in that segment. I just put the source to the DTV tuner with no RF cable connected and record that blank channel off the tuner. The recorder supplies a video 'black' signal and the recording proceeds ok. I am able to then delete that title afterwards per wajo's write up.

You can overwrite with anything, but if it's an external input, for example, it'll take FOREVER even if you seletced HQ, as advised in the procedure.

I wouldn't recommend disconnecting the coax every time you want to Overwrite the Empty Title, just set on any channel so you'll be recording actual video and audio at HQ rec mode.
post #2417 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All my transfers from tape are made in the SP mode. When I ran tests between HQ and SP, at 4.5 MHz, there was no difference. At SSP, there was. Gaining 2x the amount of material fitting in the same space was more than worth any possible improvement between SP and HQ even when dealing S-VHS material (though all of it is 2nd generation 3/4" dubbed down to S-VHS).

Anyway, I'm using blank DVD's and only recording using this 2160. I double checked the recordings and all are SP (I did think of that possibility). Your last point, when you say "heavly edited", you mean using the 2160, not any editing that was done on tape?

Ok, how about using "scene delete". When I did my transfers, I set the record to run over the time of the piece I was recording. I tryed to record each 'clip' wether it was five minutes or one hour and forty five minutes in length as a separate recording instead of recording the whole two hour tape in one session. I then went back and did a final scene delete to get rid of the materail after the piece I wanted.

This 'deleted' recording time was deleted, not 'hidden' wasn't it??
IOW's, I record for 30 minutes, the piece I want was 20 minutes, I delete that additional ten minutes. The resulting recorded 'space' is 20 minutes isn't it, not the orginal 30 minutes I recorded??

post #2418 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll have to try that utility again. Where I was doing my transfering, I just didn't bother connecting any RF feed (no need to). It isn't the normal location where the DVR would be used. I have a small monitor and my TBC in that room.

post #2419 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

All my transfers from tape are made in the SP mode. When I ran tests between HQ and SP, at 4.5 MHz, there was no difference. At SSP, there was. Gaining 2x the amount of material fitting in the same space was more than worth any possible improvement between SP and HQ even when dealing S-VHS material (though all of it is 2nd generation 3/4" dubbed down to S-VHS).

Anyway, I'm using blank DVD's and only recording using this 2160. I double checked the recordings and all are SP (I did think of that possibility). Your last point, when you say "heavly edited", you mean using the 2160, not any editing that was done on tape?

Ok, how about using "scene delete". When I did my transfers, I set the record to run over the time of the piece I was recording. I tryed to record each 'clip' wether it was five minutes or one hour and forty five minutes in length as a separate recording instead of recording the whole two hour tape in one session. I then went back and did a final scene delete to get rid of the materail after the piece I wanted.

This 'deleted' recording time was deleted, not 'hidden' wasn't it??

It doesn't sound like yous titles were "heavily edited" in the 2160 (that's where I meant).

When testing HSD, I found the 2:10:00 max rule was pretty solid, except when I rec an NFL game for 3-1/2 hours at SP. After editing out the commercials, breaks, etc., I had 36+ Scene Deletes plus lots of chapters from auto-chapter at 10-min intervals and all my Scene Deletes. I then had to get that game down to 2:08:00 before it allowed me to HSD, suggesting that "heavy editing" must bring back some overhead that HSD normally doesn't need. I haven't been able to pinpoint how that works so can't advise on anything specific other than what's in the HSD help file.

Nothing is ever "deleted" (even titles) just noted as something to pass by during playback or dubbing (or overwrite if titles).

For your SVHS transfers, you might want to do what I did in trying to HSD that long NFL game: delete just 10-sec at a time off the end of that last piece until the HSD becomes selectable. I had to do that 10-sec bit for 2-min. on my NFL game to go from 2:10:00 down to 2:08:00, after my initial elation that I had gotten that long game down to 2:10:00!

WHen testing the HQ rec mode, ONE SEC made the diff... I cut from 2:05:00 to 2:04:55 just to be sure, but still had a little space so prob. could have cut just 1 sec instead of 5.

It really depends on the avg bit rate that your stuff is transferring at.
post #2420 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Questions regarding selecting titles to add to dub list;

1. When I select my titles and add them to the list to dub, when I get to a point of having limited space left, I look for a short tilte to add to fill up as much of the DVD as possible without dropping to the next lower quality level. Problem is, every time I do this with a clip that should fit, it doesn't and the record menu greys out the higher quality speed. I then have to go back and delect that 1st title I added to regain that higher quality. I add up the time shown for each title including the last one that didn't fit and the total time is less than the two hour SP limit. Why is this? Mind you, I'm not talking about getting within minutes of the two hour limit, but leaving around 5 to 10 minutes of 'headroom'.

2. After I dub my selected titles, the empty space shows much more than that last clip I was trying to ad. As much as 10 minutes or more difference. I then try to add that clip, or another but I get a message thet the idsc is full. I have not finalized and I use -R or +R discs (not RW's) if that matters. The speed is SP. I have not overwritten that 'empty space' segment yet either. What/where is the problem?

If may be possible that there is a "failed" recording on the disc. In that case the title listing doesn't show the failed recording but whatever disc space is being occupied by the failed recording has been used.

I've experienced a few failed dubs of short "filler" titles when there have been fingerprints (skin oils) near the outer edge of a disc. The dub fails as the laser attempts to burn to the soiled area. The failed recording reduces available disc space by the amount of space that had been dubbed until the failure occured. Once the disc has been cleaned that filler title or another shorter title may fit the currently remaining space as reported in the title list or when pressing "DISPLAY" (Magnavox) or "INFO" (Philips).

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #2421 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hey, an interesing thought.

When you get the main pieces on the disc with HSD, I wonder if you couldn't kill two birds with one stone:

If you've got a final title that's close to the Empty Title time, you could set the source for overwriting to E1 (your SVHS deck) and overwrite with that, with 2160 set for SP rec mode instead of HQ, or even HQ?

That last title would be in real-time, but might be worth a try?

The overwriting should stop when all bits of that Empty Title space are filled, so I believe the procedure would stop then and whatever might be left of the SVHS title wouldn't make it to the disc, but it might be "close enough," depending on what the material is that you're transferring?
post #2422 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The only "editing" I did was to do a end scene delete and to trim a beginning scene to start at the title (index picture). Nothing in the middle.

So I understand this, getting back to my example of a 30 minute recording 'session', than triming it to the correct 20 minute length, when I would 'dub' this to a DVD, that 'space' taken up on the DVD would be 20 minutes, not the orginal 30??

This situation has happened with most of the discs I have burned so far (nine total). No fingerprints. Since you mentioned "failed dubs", other than the whole sequence coming up bad, what happens when a small portion of the burn comes across a 'bad' portion of the blank disc? I don't remember seeing anything concerning this in the 'How to"?

IOW's when you 'burn' a DVD in a PC, if there is a problem, the whole disc is toast. Is the same here since you are burning more than one 'piece' to a single DVD.

post #2423 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 AM

Bruce, concerning your difficulty getting the DVD to fill up properly, this is the way I do it -- not sure if it's what you're doing or not.

1) Add titles until no more will be accepted at the desired recording speed

2) Record those titles to the DVD

3) Go to the HD>DVD screen where you add new titles and "delete all" (deleting the already recorded titles from the transfer list, not from the hard drive).

4) Add to the empty transfer list the last title that should fit in the remaining space

From what you'd written I wondered if you were doing step 3 -- if you don't, the recorder apparently doesn't realize that it's already recorded most of the titles present, and tells you it can't record all the titles listed. Just a thought.

JLJ
post #2424 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A 30-min. recording trimmed to 20-min. takes up only 20-min. of space... the cut sections are bypassed when dubbing. Only "heavy editing" could add a mysterious small amount of extra space back.

I think a dub to disc would not be able to "skip" a bad section cuz our DVDRs aren't that "sophisticated". They can skip sectors on a HDD, which has many millions of extra sectors for that purpose.

I think your last title could be cut down, maybe only 10-sec. or so (maybe requiring multiple incremental cuts, as described in my post above), and it might fit with HSD?
post #2425 of 3505 Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

From what you'd written I wondered if you were doing step 3 -- if you don't, the recorder apparently doesn't realize that it's already recorded most of the titles present, and tells you it can't record all the titles listed.

That's it.

post #2426 of 3505 Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Getting back to transfering tapes, id it better to just record a full two hour 1/2 tape to the HDD, then go back and do any scene deletes, then split the titles into the separate segments that were on the tape itself
or,
Record all the individual tape titles separately?

IOW's, on a two hour tape with, say four separate segments, transfer the whole tape first
or,
Do four separate transfers to the HDD?

post #2427 of 3505 Old 10-07-2009, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Do the full tape, then do Scene Deletes, then Divide into segments, as you said.

With the 2160, you *could* also Divide first, then rename the segments right away... just don't make Scene Deletes immediately after Divide. Once the segments are renamed and you've forced the index pics to regenerate with their new names, you can make Scene Deletes.

Early 3575/3576 units sometimes froze a title if Divided first, then Scenes deleted immediately after. 2160 might not even have this problem, so it's really just a heads-up... some people have never had a problem, even with their 3575/3576's?

Make sure you've got auto-chaptering set for 10-min. intervals or longer.
post #2428 of 3505 Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Make sure you've got auto-chaptering set for 10-min. intervals or longer.

Why? I have always had that off.

post #2429 of 3505 Old 10-07-2009, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Why? I have always had that off.

Off is fine.

Since these DVDRs allow setting custom chapter marks on the HDD that are RETAINED with a high-speed dub (Pio doesn't), and Scene Deletes place a "custom" chapter mark at the edit point in addition to any auto-chapter marks set during recording, the removal of scenes can move one or more of those chapter marks too close together during HSD.

HSD moves chapter marks to DVD/MPEG2-spec'd locations and intervals, and several people have found those marks "colliding" (my term) when they get too close during HSD.

Anyway, chapter marks are nice for movement during playback or editing with NEXT/PREV, altho other buttons also work, so they're not absolutely necessary... really just a convenience for some.
post #2430 of 3505 Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to post that I'm canceling out my cable/internet for the duration of unemployment to concentrate on the necessities of life. Will check in when I can from the library computer. Off to OTA I go!
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page