Magnavox H2160MW9 with 160GB HDD - Virtual Clone of Philips 3576H? - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I'm having a major issue with overwriting the "Blank Title". This isn't the 1st time this has happened, but it seems worse now.

I add my titles to the list, then try to add a last entry that appears that would fit. It doesn't so I delete it. I go ahead and burn the disc. When finished, the 'Blank Title' entry shows 12 minutes (in this case). That 12 minutes was longer than what I tried to use to fill up the disc in the first place that didn't fit without dropping to the next lower quality level.
I go to overwrite this dead space of 12 minutes, 18 minutes later it still showed time remaining out of what was reported originally as 12 minutes. I stopped the overwrite. The new "Blank Title" now shows eight minutes. I then do another overwrite and it took 30-40 minutes do complete. All of this was at my default quality of 'SP'.

Why is the time getting reported incorrectly by a 2x and 3x fold amount?
Why is it taking close to an hour to overwrite a segment that originally was reported to be 12 minutes??

BTW, I failed to change the quality to HQ orginally, but did so after the 2nd overwrite. But that still doesn't explain this gross time difference. My media are +R TDK discs at the moment if that matters.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I'm having a major issue with overwriting the "Blank Title". This isn't the 1st time this has happened, but it seems worse now.

I add my titles to the list, then try to add a last entry that appears that would fit. It doesn't so I delete it. I go ahead and burn the disc. When finished, the 'Blank Title' entry shows 12 minutes (in this case). That 12 minutes was longer than what I tried to use to fill up the disc in the first place that didn't fit without droping to the next lower quality level..

I go to overwrite this dead space of 12 minutes, 18 minutes later it still showed more minutes remaining out of what was reported originally as 12 minutes. I stopped the overwrite. The new "Blank Title" now shows eight minutes. I then do another overwrite and it took 30-40 minutes do complete. All of this was at my default quality of 'SP'.

Why is it taking close to an hour to overwrite a segment that originally was reported to be 12 minutes??
BTW, I failed to change the quality to HQ orginally, but did so after the 2nd overwrite. But that still doesn't explain this gross time difference. My media are +R TDK discs at the moment if that matters.

What live channel are you recording? Only time my tests took a LONG time was when I tested while on an external input or a music channel, where's there's no video to fill up the space at 10-11 Mbps (HQ rate).
post #2523 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No live channel. Unused input. Are you trying to tell me with a empty input the recorder is confused?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #2524 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No live channel. Unused input. Are you trying to tell me with a empty input the recorder is confused?

No, not "confused" at all.

On a live TV/video channel with HQ rec mode, you'll be filling up the Empty Title at 10-11 Mbps.

With a music channel or an ext. input, with NO live video content, you'll only be filling it at 0.84 Mbps... a HUGE difference.

P.S. It's Step 1 in the procedure. I went back in and bolded some of the key words so no one can possibly miss Step 1.
post #2525 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Its funny, when I picked up two H2160 refurbs last week and began testing them, one of the first things I noticed was this arcane problem of overwriting the "empty title" with dead air. Unlike most other recorders, the H2160 seems to have a ridiculously "literal" encoder philosophy: it just doesn't understand the concept of "dead air", and will adjust its VBR down to practically zero when you attempt to overwrite an empty title this way. I HS-copied a 105 minute movie in SP to DVD during one test, the empty title showed 22 mins remaining on the DVD at SP. I switched the unit to the DV camera input, expecting to get a quick 22 mins of dead black that I could then delete. No dice: the damned encoder expanded that "empty title" capacity to something like 90 mins! It just went on an on and on! After 48 minutes the remaining time indicator had merely dropped from 22 mins to 17 mins, and I gave up (why run down the burner for two hours in a futile attempt to create a black empty title you're going to delete anyway?)

This taught me not to "interpret" wajo's tips: you should assume what he writes in his sticky thread is exactly what he means. In this instance, when wajo advises us to record any old random channel until it fills the empty title space, then delete the new unwanted title, he really does mean you should record some stupid random live video to fill that space. Dead air from a disconnected input will slow the the empty title fill to a crawl and pointlessly wear down the laser. Lesson learned!

Yeah, I know its incredibly disturbing to us "Monk" types to have an invisible "deleted-but-really-still-there" spurious title on our finalized discs, instead of nice, neutral dead air. But this is how these machines work- and for all practical purposes, the only way the deleted "empty title" material will ever become visible is within a PC authoring application. So fuggedaboudit: once you delete the spurious filler video and finalize the disc, its gone.

There are operational quirks of the H2160 that do not thrill me, it can be very fussy to use if you're coming from a Pioneer or Panasonic. But the recording quality at SP is unbelievably good: this may be the best recorder I've seen for archiving marginal SD cable material (like the degraded TCM feed many cable systems now offer.) This is the recorder to beat in the current USA market: nothing can touch it at its "new" price, and if you get one of the "refurbs" its cheaper than the repair fee on an old Panasonic. Amazing deal.
post #2526 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On a live TV/video channel with HQ rec mode, you'll be filling up the Empty Title at 10-11 Mbps.
With a music channel or an ext. input, with NO live video content, you'll only be filling it at 0.84 Mbps... a HUGE difference.

Gee, it didn't work that way on video tape.
IOWs', if you feed it a data stream the bandwidth of a phone line, it would take forever to fill up?
Quote:

P.S. It's Step 1 in the procedure. I went back in and bolded some of the key words so no one can possibly miss Step 1.

I know you mentioned to tune to a active channel, but from my analog background, video black worked fine.

post #2527 of 3505 Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

but

Did you get the J&R refurbs?

How many of each do you have now?

How about some stats for the Machine Usage chart... just your most highly used unit of each brand?

They came a couple of days ago but I only just opened one last night as it's been a busy few days with the wife, so a little info here and more to come hopefully tonight!
First of all, this is the first time I ordered two Maggy's from J&R at the same time, to my surprise they both came packaged inside a second box! Inside were two boxes holding the Maggy's. Unlike the others, these were packaged exceptionally well!! 5 layers of big bubble wrap, practically NO space inside the primary box for the unit to wiggle around while in transit. The Units themselves are 'A' units Manufactured in March of 09 and refurbed last month, September of 09. The first unit cosmetically is brand friggin new!!
I mean I just grinned when I checked it out, unbelievable for $159, no tax and free shipping. All external phillips screws were tight, none were 'half tight' or loose like a few of the others. All accessories were in there and I got as far as putting the new rubber feet on, (as I have done with all the other Maggy's just to get some air underneith the unit just as a precaution). So I'll post more tonight if I get to plug them in.....until then, enjoy the season!!
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2528 of 3505 Old 10-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

But the recording quality at SP is unbelievably good: this may be the best recorder I've seen for archiving marginal SD cable material (like the degraded TCM feed many cable systems now offer.)

I agree totally. I save all of my stuff to the HDD in SP mode, and I honestly cannot see a degradation in PQ at all from watching it "live". And honestly I've found I haven't needed to use the DVD recorder part of the machine yet -- it truly has functioned as a replacement for my old DVR that I used to rent from the cable company. I basically use this to save TV programs that I then can watch later (like when there are 2 shows on at the same time that I want to see). I cannot be happier with this 2160A!

Wasn't able to pick up a second refub model yet, but I honestly think the next time some become available, I may get one. OR...maybe I'll just pay full price and get another brand new one, I'm not sure yet. I just want to have one as a spare should this one ever die, because I have come to rely so much on it now, I'd be lost without it!

DGK
post #2529 of 3505 Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I have been using TDK +R DVDs' to burn movies with my PC with no issues. Now, when I use them with recorder, playing back on a Oppo HD970 stand alone player, the video is sometimes choppy. Choppy as in appearing to be 2-4 good frames, then skipping 2-4 frames. Before anyone tells me to read wajos' FAQs', I have and saw the mention of TDKs' out sourcing.

The situation becomes odd for the reason this 'choppy' video (audio is ok) isn't consistent. Some times it does, some times it doesn't. When it acts up, if I pause or stop the playback and resume, many times that clears up the problem. The other oddity is, it isn't on just one or two discs, or portions of the disks, it is anywhere at anytime. I can play a selection with no issue, navigate to another title, or another part of that same title and the problem is back. If it starts to play ok, the rest of the title is good if I don't stop or pause the disc.

Any ideas what is happening where the player is having a problem smoothly playing back these discs? Obviously, it is a issue between the TDK media and this Funai recorder, since this same media burned on a PC and played back on the Oppo has no issue, but why.

post #2530 of 3505 Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

TDK switched its mfr to CMC years ago, this was bad at the start and has only gotten worse with time (at this point, TDK is about as bad as Memorex.)

The term "bad media" has different interpretations depending on your hardware. I'm sure CMC does not maliciously intend to make rotten media, they're doing the best they can to meet unrealistic consumer price points demanded by superstore Sunday circular sales promotions. (Sorry, kids, you cannot get "great" media for $9.99, aside from the occasional Verbatim 16x blowout, and even that's not too good lately.) A compromise has to be made somewhere to meet these cheap price points, the most common compromise is dropping broad compatibility with all types and ages of burner. You'd never know it from all the interest here on AVS, but almost no one buys DVD media for recorders anymore: most of it is used on PCs. PCs use updatable software, their generic burners operate at higher speeds, and those burners can be updated via firmware patches. In short, PCs can keep up with and use "compromised" retail media much more effectively and reliably than a standalone recorder.

Recorder mfrs disconnected themselves from reality a long time ago. For whatever reason, they insist on using proprietary, slow, non-upgradeable, non-replaceable burners. These recorder burners continue to be based on earlier, stricter Japanese DVD-R specs which have long since been corrupted and violated by the media conglomerates. Because of this, recorders are far more sensitive to media variations and more likely to make bad burns that go undetected until its too late. For repeatable, reliable results you need to feed a recorder 8x discs only, not the PC-centric 16x stuff sold in stores. You can't go wrong with Taiyo Yuden (TY) Premium 8x DVD-R or Verbatim DataLife Plus 8x DVD-R, any recorder will make good readable burns on these discs (available online from supermediastore, etc).

Try 8x discs in your Magnavox and see if they play better on your Oppo. If so, you know that was the problem. If not, either your playback hardware is slightly out of alignment or it has an obscure issue reading the somewhat peculiar +VR VOBs created by Funai recorders. Unlikely, but possible.
post #2531 of 3505 Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
at this point, TDK is about as bad as Memorex

IOWs', TDK is the next Memorex.

post #2532 of 3505 Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The +R/-R thing is also a bit of a red herring. While its true Funai-based machines are optimized to use +R media, everythings relative. Funai went in the +R direction early on primarily to skirt royalties on -R hardware, also in the days of expensive DVD-only recorders +R offered some crude editing capabilites unavailable on -R. Today, with DVD/HDD recorders, + or- is irelevant unless you want to use R/W, which Funai definitely likes to be +R/W.

When archiving from HDD to DVD, or recording directly onto DVD in real-time (not recommended), things are not what they seem. While technically the Funais are optimized for +R over -R, the distinction is moot if the +R media you use is the lame 16x stuff sold in stores. 16x +R used to be somewhat better quality and more broadly compatible than 16x -R, but those days are gone: all current 16x media in either flavor is engineered for PC use and is a crapshoot in recorders. This stuff wants to be spun and burned at at least 12x to be successful, the burners in DVD recorders top out at 4x-6x and just won't cut it. Because of this, TY 8x DVD-R burns vastly better in Funai recorders than any store-bought 16x DVD+R. The TY 8x spec is the baseline, minimum write strategy programmed into every recorder and PC burner made in the last four years, so its almost impossible to make a bad burn on TY.

That said, the Funais do use the somewhat "non-standard" DVD+VR format on all media (+ or -). Once finalized, it should be compatible with nearly any playback hardware. But it can be tricky to work with in PC re-authoring software, and some playback devices may have similar issues with getting confused by +VR. Trying a TY disc is the sure-fire test for this: if you still get skips and jumps on your Oppo with a TY -R burn, the Oppo does not "like" the Funai +VR format. Or, its failing and just getting picky about some types of burned discs.
post #2533 of 3505 Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

I have been using TDK +R DVDs' to burn movies with my PC with no issues. Now, when I use them with recorder, playing back on a Oppo HD970 stand alone player, the video is sometimes choppy. Choppy as in appearing to be 2-4 good frames, then skipping 2-4 frames. Before anyone tells me to read wajos' FAQs', I have and saw the mention of TDKs' out sourcing.

The situation becomes odd for the reason this 'choppy' video (audio is ok) isn't consistent. Some times it does, some times it doesn't. When it acts up, if I pause or stop the playback and resume, many times that clears up the problem. The other oddity is, it isn't on just one or two discs, or portions of the disks, it is anywhere at anytime. I can play a selection with no issue, navigate to another title, or another part of that same title and the problem is back. If it starts to play ok, the rest of the title is good if I don't stop or pause the disc.

Any ideas what is happening where the player is having a problem smoothly playing back these discs? Obviously, it is a issue between the TDK media and this Funai recorder, since this same media burned on a PC and played back on the Oppo has no issue, but why.

This isn't a problem with the media, it's a problem with the Oppo. There is a sync problem with the video slowing down and then speeding up to match the audio. Oppo's don't play properly with media recorded on almost all stand alone DVD recorders, which includes the 3575/6, 2080 and 2160. The Oppo plays perfectly with DVD's authored on computers only.

Check the Oppo thread, there is alot of info on this or better yet- contact Oppo. They will quickly confirm this for you, they usually answer emails within 12 hours.

I first noticed this problem on the old Oppo 971 and it kept me from upgrading to one of their newer DVD players. I'm not sure if their new Blu-ray player suffers from the same defect, but I wouldn't be suprised.
post #2534 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

royalties on -R hardware

Royalties??
Quote:

This isn't a problem with the media, it's a problem with the Oppo. There is a sync problem with the video slowing down and then speeding up to match the audio. Oppo's don't play properly with media recorded on almost all stand alone DVD recorders, which includes the 3575/6, 2080 and 2160. The Oppo plays perfectly with DVD's authored on computers only.

Almost sounds as my situation. Gee, more good news.

BTW, the TDK media is 16x, store bought.

post #2535 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I received an email response to my question to J&R about getting some more 2160A's:

"Dear J&R customer,

Thank you for writing. Unfortunately we will not be carrying that particular model any longer."

post #2536 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'll believe it when I see it (or actually don't see it). J&R seems to have a problem saying they'll not carry the 2160a and then 2 days later they're back on the site
Although if it is gone forever it was a great deal while it lasted
post #2537 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I find J&Rs response to wajo a little dubious, considering they only just got in 33 Magnavoxes ten days ago and as usual sold out within two days. Obviously it does well for them, barely even have to devote warehouse space to something that sells that quickly by word of mouth. While an excellent, savvy retailer in business over thirty years, J&R's right hand sometimes doesn't know what its left hand is doing, especially when it comes to stock availability (they know what they have at the time you actually attempt to order, but casual stock or product availability checks short of the order checkout process are not reliable).

J&R is enormously successful, it started out as a small record shop on the second floor of an old newspaper office here in NYC but within ten years they purchased every building on the block to create an interlocking series of specialty music, video, home theater, computers, software, games, and small appliance stores. They have a wholesale business servicing many smaller stores nationwide and possibly the largest Apple Mac/iPod business in New York aside from Apple's own stores. Keeping track of all these items must be a monstrous task, so I would take any casual stock info with a grain of salt. Keep checking the page to see if the Magnavox turns up again: I missed them when they sold out in September, but by October 21st they had them again. If they don't appear again by Thanksgiving, just buy a new one from Wal*Mart online at $229, thats still an absolutely killer price for a competent DVD/HDD recorder.
post #2538 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just rec'd another email from J&R:

"Thanks for writing in!

I've actually forwarded this email as a plea = ) to one of our
buyers, to hopefully find more of these.

When I have a response, I'll write you again!"

post #2539 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

J&R is enormously successful, it started out as a small record shop on the second floor of an old newspaper office here in NYC but within ten years they purchased every building on the block to create an interlocking series of specialty music, video, home theater, computers, software, games, and small appliance stores.

I only wish I lived closer to NYC and J&R, so I could see the place in person. I have ordered several different things from them, and they're a great place to deal with.

DGK
post #2540 of 3505 Old 11-03-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Media quality is a contributing factor, because my DVD burns have not caused issues on an Oppo 980.

I record on TY 8X -R and always HS Dub. Thus far, the Oppo has exhibited no sync problems when playing back recordings made on our 3576/2160s or Toshiba XS32s.

OTOH, the Oppo has had issues with DVDs recorded by family and/or friends. One PC-recorded DVD made by my son was an unwatchable disaster so gave him some of my media to use. There were no issues with the TY burn.
post #2541 of 3505 Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM

Owners looking for a companion DVR that uses different codes for the remote may want to check ebay, there is a bunch of refurb 3576s on there for $250 or so.

No tax, no shipping, so the refurb Philips is about the same cost as a new Walmart 2160A.
post #2542 of 3505 Old 11-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

If they don't appear again by Thanksgiving, just buy a new one from Wal*Mart online at $229, thats still an absolutely killer price for a competent DVD/HDD recorder.

Wonder if they might do another rollback for the holidays? Maybe drop it under $200?
post #2543 of 3505 Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldvd View Post

Wonder if they might do another rollback for the holidays? Maybe drop it under $200?

That would be good. If not, though, I may just take the plunge and get one at that price. It's still less than I paid for the one I've got, bought before WalMart lowered the price on them.

DGK
post #2544 of 3505 Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I received an email response to my question to J&R about getting some more 2160A's:
"Dear J&R customer,
Thank you for writing. Unfortunately we will not be carrying that particular model any longer."

i got a similar email from them....so i called them and i was told by a lazy csr that they never carried anything by magnavox ever, let alone this unit...lol...i got the sense that he just didnt want to look into it....oh well....what can u do?

please let us know if any turn up at j&r or anywhere else, wajo....

*** its high time to go back to OTA antennas and CANCEL our cable/satellite pay tv services! their greed is totally & insanely out of control! ***
post #2545 of 3505 Old 11-05-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm3839 View Post

i got a similar email from them....so i called them and i was told by a lazy csr that they never carried anything by magnavox ever, let alone this unit...lol...i got the sense that he just didnt want to look into it....oh well....what can u do?

please let us know if any turn up at j&r or anywhere else, wajo....

The same day I got that email you quoted, I got another from "Jacques" who said he emailed his buyer and asked him to find some more. DigaDo also got an email from Jacques saying they're trying to find some more.

Stay tuned... I think there must be a lot returned because of the FW bug (now solved) and the manual, which some people seem to think is written in Sanskrit and Hieroglyphs!
post #2546 of 3505 Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

As I said in an earlier post, no one's going to get a useful answer by contacting J&R and asking: great vendor, but "too many cooks" handling customer inquiries, none of whom knows anything. The easiest way to keep track is bookmark the J&R DVD recorders section and check it every day to see if the Mag comes back in stock. When I snagged mine a couple weeks ago, it was because I saw them turn up on the J&R web page and went downtown in person to buy. The DVD recorder dept is staffed by well-meaning but not especially bright salespeople: it took me 20 mins just to coach my salesperson how to look up the Magnavox on his stock terminal (despite a demo model sitting on the shelf). Apparently they put the Magnavox back on their site as "available" a few days before they actually have them in stock: it appeared on the 19th, I went to their home theater store on the 21st only to be told I had to come back the next day to pick up because the warehouse would not be delivering until the 22nd. So I'd say you have a 48-72 hour grace period between it showing as "available" and being sold out again.

Once J&R gets on board with a mfr to sell refurbs, they generally stick with it until the supply is completely gone (model discontinued permanently from mfr SKU list). Since they've already cycled thru at least a half dozen batches of H2160 refurbs, I expect J&R will continue to offer them sporadically for as long as Funai mfrs them, Wal*Mart online sells them, and "Joe and Jane Clueless Incompetent" keep returning them in droves to Wal*Mart because the units don't unpack themselves, connect themselves to cable and use magic psychic powers to divine what the owners want to record. The apathy of the mass market killed most of our choices in DVD/HDD hardware, but the silver lining is cheap refurbs on the Magnavox, because these dolts will be filling the pipeline with returned units for as long as Funai and Wal*Mart are willing to eat the tremendous losses.
post #2547 of 3505 Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I expect J&R will continue to offer them sporadically for as long as Funai mfrs them, Wal*Mart online sells them, and "Joe and Jane Clueless Incompetent" keep returning them in droves to Wal*Mart because the units don't unpack themselves, connect themselves to cable and use magic psychic powers to divine what the owners want to record. The apathy of the mass market killed most of our choices in DVD/HDD hardware, but the silver lining is cheap refurbs on the Magnavox, because these dolts will be filling the pipeline with returned units for as long as Funai and Wal*Mart are willing to eat the tremendous losses.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hit the Nail RIGHT on the head Citibear!!!!!!! What a great quote for a 'disposable' society bent on instant gratification! Again, 4or so years ago, My Panny DVD/HDD: $428. A month ago on the last J&R Refurbs: TWO Maggy's, No Tax, No Shipping: $319.
I'd say we're doing pretty good for a ship that's sinking!! LOL!
Mickboy

"We Never Really Got It On Until Detroit"
M.Jagger 1969
post #2548 of 3505 Old 11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of mail flyers, I just got one from the new but not really the same "circuit city" - it seems to have been reincarnated as an outlet store. I was surprised to see a lot of magnavox refurbs offered, including a 24 dvd player and a blu ray . So, might be worth keeping an eye on them, too, for future maggie refurbs. No sign of our 2160, but ... you never know. (just spotted some Philips equipment in the mix, too .... ) Short warranties, though (30 days), or on second glance, maybe that's just the standard return policy. Looks like the refurb warranty is 90 days parts and labor.

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...navox&mnf=2224
post #2549 of 3505 Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I also spotted this ...
http://www.magnavox.com/p/index_player.php?id=29

Kind of made me happy to see it, since it's dated June 09 -- not exactly looking like it's being discontinued any time soon (as some customer service folks have intimated). Let's hope....
post #2550 of 3505 Old 11-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:

As I said in an earlier post, no one's going to get a useful answer by contacting J&R and asking: great vendor, but "too many cooks" handling customer inquiries, none of whom knows anything.

I agree. I've ordered 3 items from them, including the 2160 and have been pleased with all products. They have made some mistakes, but CR has been great and fixed all. A little OT, but I just ordered an HP printer from them at a great price and when I checked the next day it was temporarily out of stock. I checked back the next day and it was still out, but the price went up $15. So I got lucky and will wait.

As for my 2160 non A-it is working great. I'm not into it as much as all you experts, but I've done many timer recordings and even figured out how to record through the STB box on L1 using Y-connectors. I even copied a very old HBO special from VHS and titled it (kinda proud of myself there) Just have to chapter it, do some cuts, and burn it to DVD. I tend to put things off because I need a lotta time and patience to get things right (a cocktail or two doesn't hurt)

Thanks again for all the help you folks supply!!

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."
~ Henny Youngman
Closed Thread DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page