Panasonic DVD drive spindle/hub cleaning, includes remedial procedures for reassembly complications - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 99 Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Avoid the buggy '05/06 ES-20 and ES-40v models as well as the '07 EZ-x7 models and '08 EZ-48v, the '08 and newer EZ-28 is better but still not as good as the older ES-EH models of '05 and '06.
My favorites of the HDD variety are: '05 EH-50, '06 EH-55 and of the non hdd models that would be the '05 ES-10, ES-30v and '06 ES-15 and similar ES-25.
Most Panasonic users avoid + media like the plague although '05 and newer do officially support + media, it's just - is more compatible and burn better in Panasonics.
If you always use SP or better or don't care about full D1 resolution in speeds between SP and LP then '04 and older Panasonics may also work well for you. AFAIK only the more buggy EZ models came in black and again of those the only one I'd own(and do) is the EZ-28(and if you don't care about a tuner then the EA models are also good). Note only the EZ models have a digital tuner, not the ES/EH models or older.
I've compiled a list of the various N. American and international Panasonics over the years here is it's link:
Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features

Last edited by jjeff; 11-25-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 11-24-2014, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
On another front, any thoughts on DVD+R vs DVD-R blanks in my EZ27? So far,
99.9% of the DVDs I've burned have been +R, but I've found a bargain on -R discs
so I thought I'd ask before taking the plunge.
As has been said, Panasonic's prefer -R media over +R. The PLUS media is supported, but the machines definitely prefer the DASH media over the PLUS.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #93 of 99 Old 11-25-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pigsty213

The one about saliva confuses me, how do you let the DVD spin round without playing it!!

You moisten your finger(I use middle right finger) then while holding the DVD upside down in your left hand I run my finger around the bottom inside spindle area, then immediately put the disc in the tray and close it.
I've been doing this for years with a couple DVDRs with no adverse effects If you put too much saliva on the spindle you'll notice several fine lines emanating from the spindle and going straight out to the edge of the DVD, this doesn't happen if you use just a film.
Again if your getting the chugging no disc read error this procedure will not work, thats a bad laser, this procedure is just for curing the grinding noise and provides just enough traction for the spindle to hold the disc.
Lastly do NOT use this procedure with Taiyo Yuden DVDs as they are already slightly tactile(grippy) and saliva might actually make matters worse. If your discs are grinding and you use something other than Tys then just switching to Tys will probably work just fine.

I actually will use 'tacky' scotch tape and carefully 'blot' the area around the inner hole. This method has worked wonders keeping the spindle from slipping. I also use T/Y discs and they still occasionally will have the grinding slip.

Any residue that might actually transfer to the interior mechanism to make it more 'tacky' is a good things in my eyes. Saliva is just so temporary and I just cant get over hocking a loogey on my discs (obviously way overstating it )

Everyone here basically has machines that are going on 8-10 years. Anything that can be done to extend the life and make them usable for another 8-10 years is beneficial
post #94 of 99 Old 11-25-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. My EZ48V makes those grinding noises, and now refuses to load Panasonic brand DVD-RAMs, whether blank or with recorded material. However, my supply of blank and recorded Sony DVD+R discs will still load, albeit not all the time.

How screwed am I?

Thanks for any help!
post #95 of 99 Old 11-25-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you tried cleaning the spindle? If any discs load then it's probably just a dirty spindle, in no discs load then it may be a failed laser.
post #96 of 99 Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for responding so quickly. The saliva method didn't work. Should I try the scotch tape, or the cotton swab with alcohol? I feel reticent about sticking the swab under the tray. I may be overcomplicating this, but is it as simple as described? When the tray sticks out, I cannot find the required opening, for example.

Sorry to sound so dense. I really appreciate your help.
post #97 of 99 Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Panasonic DVD Drive basic diagnostic information and routine servicing procedures are found in the second and third posts in this thread.

Panasonic DVD drive spindle/hub cleaning, includes remedial procedures for reassembly complications

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #98 of 99 Old 11-26-2014, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePadgett View Post
When the tray sticks out, I cannot find the required opening, for example.
Well by far the preferred method is to unplug and then remove the units cover followed by the drives cover, but you can also get a "OK" cleaning by ejecting the drive tray and then unplugging the unit. Shine a decent flashlight inside the opening around the tray and you should see the round black spindle(the part the center of the DVD sits upon when inserted). Using a long handled alcohol(or I use Freon based cleaner) soaked cotton or even better yet foam swab, insert the swab in the drive opening and using a spinning and in/out motion, clean the top of the rubber spindle. The more cleaning the better and I generally re soak the swab several times.
This method does work but because the spindle spins easily, it's hard to get a good scrubbing of the rubber top. If you were to take the drive apart you could physically hold the spindle with one finger while scrubbing the top with a swab in the other hand, something that can't be done with a cleaning going through the front of the drive.
post #99 of 99 Unread Today, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Digodo, hello, here you find a message from a woman out of the Netherlands.
I have 2 dvd burners, with both the same error. (Already bought a third one). I have the DMR EH770, and I love this recorder. Both the burners have lost their teeth so to speak. The white plastic running to the wheel does not work anymore. I know I can change the burner, and the harddisk (if it s empty, if full it says its empty in the wrong machine) Do you know if someone are selling these? I would like to hear from you, for now, Kind regards, Alie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page