Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Leave it plugged in for several hours before attempting to power it on. That way the capacitors will have time to build up a "charge" unless they've "dried up" in which case there might not be any visible irregularities.
Tried it but nothing. I'll try to post some pics if that'll help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have a panasonic recorder model no. dmr e85h i replaced the power supply capacitor when i turned it on it went out again . what could be the problem
Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavasports View Post

i have a panasonic recorder model no. dmr e85h i replaced the power supply capacitor when i turned it on it went out again . what could be the problem

What, specifically, do you mean by "went out."

Did you take care to observe polarity when you replaced the capacitor?

Did the fuse fail when you reconnected the power?

After reconnecting the power did you let the recorder sit for several hours so the capacitor could build-up a "charge" before powering-up?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 03-21-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time to "bump" this thread to make it easier to find.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

Old 05-02-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have two Panny dmr-es20's that quit at almost the same time, one at home, one at church. All walking zeros on the display. Eject and on buttons are non-responsive. Hold down the on button for 10 seconds and the display goes to HELLO and freezes. Opened the one at home, the main cap looks ok, one smaller one might have a slightly domed top. No splits in the relief grooves. How do I tell if the caps are good? Which ones usually fail? My first choice would be a repair.

What might be a good (economical) alternative to record a mixed, live video signal from a s-video cable input? Video capture card or some sort of a USB dongle to a computer? That would save me the step ripping the DVD to HDD to further edit and eventually burn a final DVD. Better yet would to be able to record directly to an external HDD.

LG 47LN5200, Yamaha RX-V730, Sony DVP-S530D, JBL NSPii, SVS PC12-NSD
Old 05-05-2014, 08:16 PM

I opened up the church's ES-20 unit and found two suspect caps, c1280 (680m 10v) and c1400 (470m 16v), both had slightly domed and split tops. My unit had c1400 domed but not split. So the plan is to replace both c1280's and c1400's as well as the main larger caps (100m 350v) in each unit, although they both looked OK. Found them online at RadioShack. Only problem is that the c1280 is not rated for 105C temp. Hope that is not a problem.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
When I replaced the caps in my E85, I used better quality ones from Digi-Key. They were a bit more expensive, but they don't have a minimum order.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 05-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great forum and great thread.  I have a DMR-EH75 that died about a month ago and found this thread.  I took a peak at the caps on the board, but really did not see a problem.  Finally last week I took the time to take her apart and start pulling caps.  I found that 5 of them where bad, capacitance values were off by about a factor of 10.  There was no leaks and just the slightest sign of buldging on the 5 bad caps.  I actually started getting concerned that my RLC meter was broken until I started pulling caps w/o any sign of buldging and they were perfect.  $1.50 at digikey paid for all the bad caps and she is working great again.

Many thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

When I replaced the caps in my E85, I used better quality ones from Digi-Key. They were a bit more expensive, but they don't have a minimum order.
I went to the Digi-Key site, but was overwhelmed with all of the choices, many of which had large minimum purchase quantities.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
I opened up the church's ES-20 unit and found two suspect caps, c1280 (680m 10v) and c1400 (470m 16v), both had slightly domed and split tops. My unit had c1400 domed but not split. So the plan is to replace both c1280's and c1400's as well as the main larger caps (100m 350v) in each unit, although they both looked OK. Found them online at RadioShack. Only problem is that the c1280 is not rated for 105C temp. Hope that is not a problem.
Hi Ole Anderson.I too am having the similar problem with my Panny DMR-ES20 recorder.Flashing 0000's when off, then constant Hello and nothing else when powered on.Could you please tell me where the C1280 Capacitor is located? I can't find it anywhere on the Power PCB or Main PCB in the Service Manual.I can locate the C1400 and will replace it but so far no luck locating the C1280.

Also how did your repair work out ? I've been scouring the net for info on this model and have found out that blown caps is a very common thing for certain model Pannys like the ES-15,16,20 etc.I've already thrown out a couple of ES15 and 16 models foolishly because i didn't bother to try and fix them with the help of great folks like you on the internet.If i could salvage this ES-20 that would be awesome.

Thanks for your contribution.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgJetsFan View Post
Could you please tell me where the C1280 Capacitor is located? I can't find it anywhere on the Power PCB or Main PCB in the Service Manual.I can locate the C1400 and will replace it but so far no luck locating the C1280.

The pen rests on the C1280 cap:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DMR-ES20, C1280 CAP cr.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	122474  

Last edited by DigaDo; 06-17-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post
The pen rests on the C1280 cap:
DigaDo thank you for your reply and terrific pic of where C1280 is l ocated.Seems like my recorder layout is quite different from your pic.I did another check for Service Manuals and found there are about 4 different model versions of ES-20, mine is DMR ES-20DEBS.I'm attaching a pic of the Power Board PCB from a similar view as yours.On your recorder is C1280 the same size as the 2 capacitors to the immediate left? If so i'm assuming it might also have the same u rating and voltage.On my recorder the 2 matching capacitors on the left (they are vertically aligned while yours are horizontal) are C1270 and C1271.The third matching capacitor on mine is above and to the left where the blue pen is showing C1272.If your C1280 matches the two to the left then i'm assuming your C1280 is the same as my C1272.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C1280 Blue Pen_edited.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	122674  
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I'm going to guess from your "Jets" reference and ES-16 that the OP is in Canada. I'd think a Canadian ES-20 would be similar to a US but it sounds like not. Part numbers, including Capacitors should be silk screened onto the boards near the part so if our Jets fan doesn't see a C1280 it's possible that for whatever reason his may not have that part, or it may indeed be a different part #
P.S. Go Wild

Last edited by jjeff; 06-17-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I'm going to guess from your "Jets" reference and ES-16 that the OP is in Canada. I'd think a Canadian ES-20 would be similar to a US but it sounds like not. Part numbers, including Capacitors should be silk screened onto the boards near the part so if our Jets fan doesn't see a C1280 it's possible that for whatever reason his may not have that part, or it may indeed be a different part #
P.S. Go Wild
Hi Jeff as i stated in my last post after seeing DigaDo's pic of where C1280 is i did a check for DMR-ES20 service manuals and found 4 different versions.My version doesn't have the C1280 listed in the parts list so it's a fact that mine doesn't have it.If C1280 matches the 2 capacitors to the left in DigaDo's recorder then i think i have the comparable part marked as C1272,it's in a slightly different position than C1280 , but then so are all the other parts in this area of the Power Board PCB.