Digital Converter Box to DVD Recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Reading a post by 'Jim Braun' in the Phillips 3575-36 sticky thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post

I have chosen not to own the 3576 because of it's shortcoming in combining the OTA and cable channels. I will monitor this forum and if I see where somebody figures a way to do it, I will get another one. I got to believe this shortcoming is an engineering error in judgment - it is the first recorder or TV set I have come across that did not have the ability to combine the two in some manner.

...led me to wonder if it would be possible to connect one of the digital converter boxes to a dvd recorder's line inputs in order to gain access to OTA digital channels from an antenna, while the recorder's tuner receives analog?

That is,
antenna to converter box,
then convert box to dvd recorder line input,
and then you'd tune the convert box to an OTA station,
and record it over the line input.

Forgive my ignorance with regards to these boxes-I don't own one, and won't need one, so long as cable continues to send analog signals after the switchover. But reading Jim's anguish over discovering he couldn't have both OTA and cable tuned in by the Phillips at the same time, made me think of this as a possible solution.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Reading a post by 'Jim Braun' in the Phillips 3575-36 sticky thread, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1450

...led me to wonder if it would be possible to connect one of the digital converter boxes to a dvd recorder's line inputs in order to gain access to OTA digital channels from an antenna, while the recorder's tuner receives analog?

That is,
antenna to converter box,
then convert box to dvd recorder line input,
and then you'd tune the convert box to an OTA station,
and record it over the line input.

Forgive my ignorance with regards to these boxes-I don't own one, and won't need one, so long as cable continues to send analog signals after the switchover. But reading Jim's anguish over discovering he couldn't have both OTA and cable tuned in by the Phillips at the same time, made me think of this as a possible solution.

You are correct. Since some cable systems do not carry all the local digital sub-channels that a converter box tunes with ease, the converter box expands the viewing/recording options.

I use the Zenith DTT901 (with analog RF pass through). The Zenith is outstanding in performance and value. It has the latest generation LG Tuner. In my area the Zenith may be purchased for $9.99 at KMart or Bi-Mart (with a government coupon), or $19.99 at Circuit City (with a government coupon) and a few other stores. The Insignia NS-DXA1-APT is a Zenith clone found at Best Buy for $19.99 (with a government coupon). (There is no sales tax in Oregon.)

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 34 Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sure, there's no reason you couldn't do it. That's what many people with older recorders with analog tuners in them are doing, actually.

In order to be able to change channels on the box when recording from it though, you will need something like the Zinwell tuner, or the DTVPal, which both have timers, but the Pal's is completely erratic and drops some of the set recordings often, because it depends on the unpredictable PSIP times.

The Zinwell has manual clock setting, so it's timers should, in theory, be more dependable and work better - as long as the clock keeps fairly accurate time, that is.

Otherwise, some people are putting more than one box at the recorder and splitting the signal, and leaving each box on the channels they want it to record from. But that only leaves you with the same amount of channels to record from as however many boxes you're using.

If your recorder has an IR blaster, that can be used to control a few of the boxes. Which boxes depends on which model recorder you have - the DTVPal and the CM-7000 work with just about all (because they use old cable box codes), and the Zenith and RCA with some later models (they use satellite box codes). That's what I'm doing myself - using the CM with my old E85H currently.

So I would just suggest to Mr. Braun getting something like the Zinwell (if he wants to be able to record from more than one channel at a time), or the DTVPal (because of it's superior, advanced guide). Otherwise, any old CECB box will do. The CM and the Zenith both have excellent picture quality (the CM has s-video out, better sensitivity, and a better guide than the Zenith - but the Zenith retains individual aspect ratio settings for each channel, which is rare and nice to have).
post #4 of 34 Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Thank you both, that's good to hear. While I don't need one, I may consider picking up one now that I know it'll work.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 34 Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Converter boxes (CECB) only receive ATSC 8VSB digital OTA signals not QAM so they will not receive any cable signals (some will pass them through when off). There is no equipment which can combine OTA and cable signals because they occupy the same frequency range. There may be TVs/DVRs which can save the channels from multiple scans.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #6 of 34 Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Wow.... I am carrying this thread into its fifth year! I hope that one of you can help. I have a great Panasonic DVD recorder and like to 'tape' shows that I miss or send some to a friend in Florida who doesn't get them there. I have connected the converter box to the player, as directed pushed the tv remote button "Input" to select Video 1 (I tried both AV and Component 1) - neither seem to show the setup screen for the converter box. I have the Red, Yellow, & white cables connected as well. Is there something that I'm missing?
post #7 of 34 Old 02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
First of all, get "it" to "talk" to you. My suggestion would be to
1. Connect the converter box directly to the tv and get a good signal there.
2. Once you have box-to-tv signal, then bring the Panasonic into the link-- do you have a signal from the Panasonic to the tv? (not the Box, yet, just some Panasonic menu thing to be sure of a clean Panasonic-to-tv path.)
3. Now, connect the converter box to the Panasonic input terminals and set the Panasonic to the proper input.

It might help some more knowledgeable members if the brand and model of the converter box were known.
ClearToLand likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60088 View Post

Wow.... I am carrying this thread into its fifth year! I hope that one of you can help. I have a great Panasonic DVD recorder and like to 'tape' shows that I miss or send some to a friend in Florida who doesn't get them there. I have connected the converter box to the player, as directed pushed the tv remote button "Input" to select Video 1 (I tried both AV and Component 1) - neither seem to show the setup screen for the converter box. I have the Red, Yellow, & white cables connected as well. Is there something that I'm missing?

I'm hoping you meant "recorder" and not "player".

You're not recording anything on a player-only machine. tongue.gif

I'll second the suggestion that you need to get the converter box working with your TV first. Once you know it's working, take the very same cables hooked into the TV, and pull them out; when plugging them back in, you plug them into the inputs on the DVD recorder.

You'd also have to set the TV to receive from the DVD recorder's output.

1) Converter box to DVD recorder's inputs.

2) DVD recorder set to its Audio/Video inputs.

3) DVD recorder feeding into TV.

4) TV set to display the output of the DVD recorder.
post #9 of 34 Old 02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: No Disrespect Intended!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Quote:

I'm hoping you meant "recorder" and not "player".

You're not recording anything on a player-only machine. tongue.gif

I'll second the suggestion that you need to get the converter box working with your TV first. Once you know it's working, take the very same cables hooked into the TV, and pull them out; when plugging them back in, you plug them into the inputs on the DVD recorder.

You'd also have to set the TV to receive from the DVD recorder's output.

1) Converter box to DVD recorder's inputs.

2) DVD recorder set to its Audio/Video inputs.

3) DVD recorder feeding into TV.

4) TV set to display the output of the DVD recorder.
I'm *VERY* pleased to see that other AVS Forum Members have begun using a few FORMATTING TABs. biggrin.gif

*YES*. I certainly do it to *EXCESS* redface.gif , but I'm certainly glad to see other AVS Forum Members beginning to use it. cool.gif

gastrof,

As an UNASKED FOR suggestion, you COULD use {LIST=1}, using "[" instead of "{", to AUTOMATICALLY number your lines. Such as:
  1. Converter box to DVD recorder's inputs.
  2. DVD recorder set to its Audio/Video inputs.
  3. DVD recorder feeding into TV.
  4. TV set to display the output of the DVD recorder.
Best Regards... smile.gif

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #10 of 34 Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

I'm *VERY* pleased to see that other AVS Forum Members have begun using a few FORMATTING TABs.
As you say, no disrespect, but I am not pleased.
For those of us who change the background/text colors from the screeching default to something more eye soothing, the use of colored text makes many posts unreadable. I generally have to highlight your entire post by selecting it with the mouse so I can read it.
jjeff likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #11 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
^^^ +1 biggrin.gif
Not that things don't look more colorful when people use colors other than the default but like you I use something different than the AVS default color scheme (actually most of the time now I don't even log on which gives me even different colors since I'm using Wajos trick to get my Retro scheme back but only works correct when logged on). Long story short, like Kelson when people use select colors most of the time I'm forced to highlight their whole post in order to be able to read it smile.gif If I logged on every time, something I chose not to do because lately I've been using FFs private browsing to stop an accumulation of cookies, things would be better but since I don't some colors are very hard to see.
P.S. CTL, as per another post I tried your thumbs up trick on Kelsons post, I see what you mean, it doesn't really say who thought it was useful......I agree, not too helpful biggrin.gif
Since most of the time when just reading I don't log on, I don't see the useful icon and when I do log on it's to post and I really don't pay attention to it.....just another supposed + of this new Huddler format, which I really don't like, I really preferred the old format even without such useless features rolleyes.gif
Kelson likes this.
post #12 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

jjeff, you might want to try my "modified Retro" style... retains Retro accents but ditches bright blue background so AVS shows normally when not logged in.

jjeff likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Great! Just tried you new code and I agree, much easier to read when not logging on, thanks again Wajo!
post #14 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

P.S. CTL, as per another post I tried your thumbs up trick on Kelsons post, I see what you mean, it doesn't really say who thought it was useful......I agree, not too helpful biggrin.gif
I just "thumbed" you to see what it does. Yeah, it's the walmart version of a rating tag. Until CTL mentioned it I never even paid attention to it. I'll probably continue to ignore it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Just updated my laptop at work and just to remind anyone currently using the old Retro script and who want to change, after creating the new one you should probably disable the old one. I did right away but I'm not sure what would happen if you had both enabled at the same time........
Also while the old script said Effects AVS Forum the new script says Can effect anything.......not sure if thats anything to worry about?
post #16 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the heads-up on disabling the old script... I added a note on that. If you don't want to save the old style, you copy the new code and replace the old... you can leave the style name as is or edit it, if desired.

However, where does the new one say it can affect anything... I must have missed that somehow?

It can't with Firefox and Chrome since the code limits it to AVS Forum. IE and Opera won't have that limitation so they *may* affect other sites, but even the old script only affected one other Huddler site, which had some of the SAME CSS style syntax (elements). With the blue background deleted from the script, it really shouldn't affect even other Huddler sites, much less anything else... time will tell..

post #17 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Wow, I wasn't aware that anyone here had responded. I thought that the thread was dead and buried. When I said "player" I was just saving time. It's easier to type out faster then recorder. Same as when I speak about it, I say VCR instead of DVD recorder. So, anyway... I have a newer tv with a digital tuner and have digital hd channels received. The issue is with the vcr channels being only whole-number analog channels. I've been recording on my Panasonic DVD recorder for years and until very recently was able to get my favorite channel still. Now, it's no longer transmitted by analog-ally. I successful connected a digital converter where as I could see and use the on-screen set-up menu, but it found zero channels. ??? I returned the converter. Someone who works for a cable company in the area (TimeWarner) said that I could connect the "VCR" to the tv so that channels viewed are not those selected by the VCR but by those directly selected using the TV. I've never been able to have such a set-up. When recording, the VCR must be on the channel that it's recording otherwise it will just record snow, a blue screen, etc.
post #18 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM

and I meant "than" not "then." I'm a language nut and that was a total mistype!
post #19 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Thanks for the heads-up on disabling the old script... I added a note on that. If you don't want to save the old style, you copy the new code and replace the old... you can leave the style name as is or edit it, if desired.

However, where does the new one say it can affect anything... I must have missed that somehow?

It can't with Firefox and Chrome since the code limits it to AVS Forum. IE and Opera won't have that limitation so they *may* affect other sites, but even the old script only affected one other Huddler site, which had some of the SAME CSS style syntax (elements). With the blue background deleted from the script, it really shouldn't affect even other Huddler sites, much less anything else... time will tell..
I'm running FF 12.0 and when I click tools, add-ons on the right of my screen I see 3 tabs for both of my add-ons(Retro and Modified AVS Retro) the tabs are: Edit, Disable and Remove.
I'm not sure what would happen if I enabled both Retro and Modified Retro but I only have one or the other enabled at a time. Under each Add-on's name I get one line that says effects AVS Forum(old Retro) or can effect anything which is under the Modified Retro. Are you not getting this line?
Note with the old Retro when I logged on I didn't get the AVS ads(either on the right side of the OP or after the OP) but with the Modified AVS Retro I do get 1 ad on the right side of the OP even after logging on.....don't really care for that but maybe something could be changed with the Modified Retro? I switched back to the old Retro, logged on and the ad was gone.....
post #20 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Do the 1st 6 lines of your code in FF look exactly like this:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("avsforum.com")

#sidebar {
  display: None;
}
post #21 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

How do I see those lines?
The only time I saw those lines is when I copy/pasted what you had posted and I didn't modify anything.
I had a slight scare when trying to switch back to the old Retro, instead of clicking enable I accidentally clicked remove frown.gif Luckly undo was a option, otherwise I think I would have been SOL as I doubt you have the old Retro posted anymore, replaced by the modified Retro.
post #22 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Click the Edit button.

SInce you still have the oled style code, copy that for me and send via PM... I'm not sure I have it anywhere now... I just pasted over the old one.

In fact, this is so OT we prob. should continue in PM mode?

post #23 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Sent PM to Wajo, for anyone interested my first 6 lines do look slightly different that what Wajo posted. Note the extra bracket before the # sign, mine:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("avsforum.com")

{
#sidebar {
display: None;
}

Edit: turns out I needed the extra bracket { and without it I get the ads, I looked at the wrong code when posting above. The old code had the extra bracket and works, the new code without the extra bracket still showed the ad when logged on.
post #24 of 34 Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 PM

Liked: 12
The cable digital is QAM while the over the air is ATSC. Most generic digital "converters"(they don't convert, they tune) are ATSC only for the over the air signal and therefore wont work with cable. Now, is there a monitor out RCA/phono output on your TV? If there is, you should be able to use this to get a signal to use to one of the line inputs on the DVD recorder.
post #25 of 34 Old 02-23-2013, 10:37 AM

Thank you for the clarification. The TV has only RCA/in. It has HDMI ports but then the DVD recorder does not...just has rca, s-vid, and something called dv-in.

It may be a lost cause.

Incidentally, I have a usb tv card for my laptop that records. It gets all of the digital channels except the one I want...PBS NY Channel 21. I can only get this on my tv. Bummer!
post #26 of 34 Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Someone who works for a cable company in the area (TimeWarner) said that I could connect the "VCR" to the tv so that channels viewed are not those selected by the VCR but by those directly selected using the TV.

Something is missing here; you're not going to tune anything unless the antenna is connected to the VCR "antenna in". I think that the "antenna out" is a pass-thru from "antenna in". You may have to have the VCR powered off for the pass-thru to work, if so why couldn't you choose the channel from the tv?
If the VCR is powered on, you'd probably get what the VCR is tuned to, since the coax out may be the only input some tv's have, thus the VCR coax out would be the only way you could watch your playback or monitor your recording. This is probably a moot point, since if you are talking converter box, you are talking digital "in" to the box, and you select the channel on the box.

You say you have a tv with a digital tuner. Why not use the "KISS" formula--- Keep It Simple and Safe?

Run the antenna into a simple cable splitter. Run one output from the splitter to tv "antenna in". Run another output from the splitter to the converter box. Run from the converter box out to the VCR in. You have choices here, coax out, maybe s-video out, or composite out (Yellow Red White RCA).
If you choose the Coax route, the converter box will have a selector, either a slider switch or menu option, "3" or "4", for the coax out. Run the coax from the converter box to the VCR antenna in, and CHOOSE THE SAME CHANNEL on the VCR, "3" or "4", that you selected on the converter box. Ditto for s-video.
If you choose the composite out, connect the cables from the converter box to one of the inputs on the VCR, and select that input for your VCR recording or play through.

Whatever output you choose, the digital channel (in) will be selected on the converter box.
post #27 of 34 Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM

Thanks again for all of the info. There must be a way. Here's what I first did. Antenna In to "VCR"...Antenna actually being coaxial from wall. Coax Out from VCR to Converter and then from Converter to TV. I had the TV on 3. I could see the Converter set up screen but when I pushed play on VCR to see if it was part of the setup, the video didn't play. I ran set up anyway & came up with no channels found. I rearranged the coaxials different ways to experiment but nothing doing.... It's poss that I was missing something but if I try this again, having returned the converter, what do you think
post #28 of 34 Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM

...what do you think of this converter? : Kworld HDmi Dvi VGA Qam/atsc External Digital Tv Tuner Box Hdtv

(Hit Reply before by mistake).
post #29 of 34 Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

What do you want to do with it?

HDMI, DVI, VGA and such is way more than any VCR or Standard Definition DVD recorder have inputs for. HD (high definition) recorders have their own forum, and unless you have plans for a home theater or projector, I don't know what you'd do with all the converter outputs.
Quote:

What are you trying to record from? Over the air? Satellite? Cable? What, and why, was your first converter box?

The assumption I made was that a tv station (that's "over the air") that had been broadcasting analog has now converted to digital. For that, you need the digital-to-analog converter box. Post #17 suggests that my assumption was (is) correct. Also, you have a newer tv that has a digital tuner. Some such tv's will tune (play) an analog channel.

Your problem is the vcr cannot digest the digital signal. Read again my post #26.

1. Antenna to "IN" on converter box . The converter box will convert the digital signal to analog to keep the VCR happy.

2. Converter box output selector set to either "3" or "4" (for coax). Remember which.

3. Converter box out (coax OR composite) to VCR IN.

4. Set VCR to the input selected in the previous step. If coax, recall selector setting you made in step 2, tune the vcr to that channel, "3" or "4". That's where it stays; your channels are selected on the converter box.

5. Connect the VCR to a monitor or tv as you have in the past.
Since you have a digital-capable tv, this looks like a beautiful opportunity for a signal splitter, one side to the tv, the other side to the converter box and from there to the dvd recorder.
post #30 of 34 Old 02-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Hi.. Thanks. I was asking about the other model of converter box not b/c of all of its ports but because it's both QAM and ATSC. Regarding the set up, I had the coaxial from the wall going to the IN on the converter and to the IN on the "vcr," and then connected the vcr to tv by another coaxial cable. Yes, vcr was on 3 as well because I could see that the converter had a switch for 3/4. (I don't pay for cable...only internet.... but get numerous HD digital channels that come through) The vcr picture was not visible on the tv when I played a video to check the set up. (Mind you, in the end I tried all variations of connection but couldn't get the vcr to play video on screen while the converter was in the mix). Normally the tv goes on 3 and it's fine. So, anyway, bypassing the vcr connection issue, I ran the on-screen setup for the converter box and after scanning it found zero digital channels. This is a mystery to me. Regarding the old station no longer transmitting in analog, Yes. That's my main issue and not even the new tv get it unless I go to the digital channel for that station. I like a PBS show that my friend in Florida doesn't get. I simply want to continue recording it to send to him... Here are photos of the port panels.

The RCA tv:

The Panasonic DVD & VHS recorder:

Someone else had mentioned, maybe it was you, using a splitter (which I do already since I have only one jack in the room) but why would I need a splitter feeding both the tv and the converter separately? So anyway... if I try this again, I think that I will go for that more expensive converter box that handles QAM and ATSC.

Hope that you can still offer some idea or hope!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page