Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service! - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #421 of 514 Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was dubbing a DVD from the HDD on my four year old Panasonic when about half way through the write process the DVD drive started making odd noises. I got "unable to read disc" messages on the display. So I tried another blank DVD and got the same message and then I tried to read several other known good discs to no avail. I figured my DVD drive died so I got out the paperwork for the three year extended warranty I had purchased from Panasonic. Lo and behold I had six days left in the warranty period so I contacted Panasonic. They instructed me to ship the unit to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY for repairs and I did. They called after they had received it and diagnosed the problem and said they had ordered the part for it. About ten days later I received the DVD recorder back and it works perfectly. All in all, a good repair experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 514 Old 05-07-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Did they list what was done and did you try cleaning the spindle prior to sending it in? Good timing on your part
post #423 of 514 Old 05-07-2011, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been known to tell folks "listen to the DVD Drive, it's trying to tell you what the matter is.

The routine DVD Drive lens, rubber hub/spindle cleaning, and some basic diagnostic information, is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #424 of 514 Old 05-08-2011, 12:32 PM

No, I didn't attempt any cleaning or repairs on my part since the unit was still under warranty. The repair ticket listed "Replace defective DVD mechanism". As a side note, and perhaps DigaDo can respond, are replacement DVD drives for this recorder available to the general public? Specifically, the DVD drives that are capable of reading/writing DVD-RAM and dual layer media.
post #425 of 514 Old 05-08-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDinTX View Post

No, I didn't attempt any cleaning or repairs on my part since the unit was still under warranty. The repair ticket listed "Replace defective DVD mechanism". As a side note, and perhaps DigaDo can respond, are replacement DVD drives for this recorder available to the general public? Specifically, the DVD drives that are capable of reading/writing DVD-RAM and dual layer media.

These questions are often raised and answered in these pages.

One seldom needs to replace the DVD Drive or the Digital PCB. The laser assembly is the most common part that fails in a DVD Drive. If the laser assembly has failed the least expensive remedy is to have AVS member mickinct replace it. Send a private message to mickinct for more information.

The DMR-EH75 and DMR-EH55 models use the proprietary VXY1945 DVD Drive seen in the attached photo. The VXY1945 is paired with a model-specific Digital PCB that is then referred to as the "RAM/Digital Module."

If one is determined to spend a lot of money the Panasonic National Parts Center in Kent Washington will be pleased to sell you the RAM/Digital Module. It's only money.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #426 of 514 Old 05-08-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Over $400 last I recall
post #427 of 514 Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 PM

How much was your repair, HDinTX?
post #428 of 514 Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Nada. It was under warranty.
post #429 of 514 Old 05-12-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sorry that this is a bit off topic.

Panasonic DMR-EH50S DVD-Recorder

I remember seeing a remote code posted to force the TV Guide OnScreen IPG to select a specific channel rather than have the IPG scan through all the channels.

Does anyone know what that code and procedure is.

Thanks in Advance.

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #430 of 514 Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_CoxPHX View Post
Panasonic DMR-EH50S DVD-Recorder

I remember seeing a remote code posted to force the TV Guide OnScreen IPG to select a specific channel rather than have the IPG scan through all the channels.

Does anyone know what that code and procedure is.
Try this.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #431 of 514 Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
Worked perfectly, Thanks Much.

Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #432 of 514 Old 05-12-2011, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
So now that it's almost impossible to get an 80's DVD drive fixed, is there any user fix for what both my units are doing now?

Basically the first unit stopped writing properly to DVD-RAMs, then would write to a DVD-R just fine - the content was completely playable - but after finalizing the content would either not be readable at all or would just stop playing about 3/4 of the way through the disc.

Now my second unit has stopped being able to write properly to DVD-RAM; thankfully it still will finalize DVD-Rs.

Any suggestions?

I don't use them much now, just to make the quick DVD now and then, typically to convert an old VHS/SVHS/8mm/DV tape to DVD.

Thanks in advance...
post #433 of 514 Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

So now that it's almost impossible to get an 80's DVD drive fixed, is there any user fix for what both my units are doing now?

Basically the first unit stopped writing properly to DVD-RAMs, then would write to a DVD-R just fine - the content was completely playable - but after finalizing the content would either not be readable at all or would just stop playing about 3/4 of the way through the disc.

Now my second unit has stopped being able to write properly to DVD-RAM; thankfully it still will finalize DVD-Rs.

Any suggestions?

I don't use them much now, just to make the quick DVD now and then, typically to convert an old VHS/SVHS/8mm/DV tape to DVD.

Thanks in advance...

With a Panasonic DVD Drive the first remedial measure is the routine lens and rubber hub cleaning:

post #434 of 514 Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

A Bit Off Topic again, but I know this is where the Pros are.

I have a question, and the answer is probably NO, but I thought I would ask anyway.

I am using an IR blaster to control an SA3250HD receiver using the TVGOS.
Cox is moving the HD channels from channels 7xx's & 8xx's into the 1xxx's.
The DMR-EH50 seems only capable of tuning up to 999. Is there any Hack or Firmware Update I can do to get the Panny to be able to tune in a four digit channel number? Is there any way to download or upgrade the version of the TVGOS?

Current DMR-EH50 DVD Recorder Firmware
Version UA-340
Compatible Models DMR-EH50S
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...DMR-EH50S.D#ts

post #435 of 514 Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 AM

The current charge by Panasonic to repair the DVD Drive for a DMR EH-75V is $275.00 as of 09/08/2011. A british company is offering the laser part for the fix it yourselfers for around $80.00 US plus shipping. Unless someone else comes up with a better idea, I may try that. Hard to find used ones on ebay where you could just swap ot the entire drive unit. Wish someone had an up to date answer for this.
post #436 of 514 Old 09-12-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Could you please post the link to that British company?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #437 of 514 Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skicrest View Post

A british company is offering the laser part for the fix it yourselfers for around $80.00 US plus shipping.

This new laser is available from an eBay seller in the US for $72 plus shipping.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #438 of 514 Old 09-12-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Digado once posted a link to a company(I think in Scotland??) where one could purchase just the laser, I'm sure it was more reasonable than the entire assembly.
Don't forget Mikinct, the AVS member who does Panasonic repairs. He may know of a source or be willing to do the repair for much less than $275. You might want to PM him.
post #439 of 514 Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM

If one were to pick up the replacement laser assembly, does it need to be calibrated once installed, or will it work without any extra fiddling?
post #440 of 514 Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

One of my EH55s failed this weekend. I was burning a disk and the thing just quit! It now makes the familiar beep-beep-beep-beep-burp sound. This is my third DVD recorder that this has happened to. The first two needed replacement optical pickups, so I strongly suspect that this one does too. I used it a lot, so I am not too surprised that it has failed. I expected it eventually.

I have sent Mikinct a PM, but does anyone have the current address and phone number for the (latest) place to send these machines for repair. a year ago I sent one into Elgin, but I think that is no longer an option.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #441 of 514 Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a current best-source at Panasonic for repairs of DVD recorders, specifically the EH55?

Luke

post #442 of 514 Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Does anyone have a current best-source at Panasonic for repairs of DVD recorders, specifically the EH55?

I've done plenty of these, cost to repair is $175.00 plus return ship of $15.00, WITH A 1 day turnaround. send me a PM if you need to.

MickinCT
post #443 of 514 Old 09-25-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

With a Panasonic DVD Drive the first remedial measure is the routine lens and rubber hub cleaning:

I've an E80H and the cleaning allowed it to burn one disc, after which it was back to failure mode.

For those that don't remember, it seems to write the tracks OK - you can view them just fine - but after finalizing neither it nor any other player can read the tracks without lots of errors.

Also, neither it nor another 80 I have (that still burns OK) likes DVD-RAM discs any more, believing them to be unformatted (and of course a format attempt fails.)

Any ideas? Are both lasers going? The one that's further gone had been writing about 3 hours to RAM five days a week for years and the first symptom was when they stopped being readable by the other unit.

How I wish Panasonic had just used regular PC-style DVD-R/RAM writers in these…
post #444 of 514 Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

This new laser is available from an eBay seller in the US for $72 plus shipping.

Wow, this really went up in price! $132 now.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #445 of 514 Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

That is price gouging I mean you can buy an entire DVD drive for your PC for $20! It's really too bad the majority of DVDR mfgs. never standardized with PC drives It's probably not like Panasonic is making a ton on these drives, heck they probably don't even sell them anymore and only the resellers are profiting beyond belief!
post #446 of 514 Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

That is price gouging I mean you can buy an entire DVD drive for your PC for $20! It's really too bad the majority of DVDR mfgs. never standardized with PC drives It's probably not like Panasonic is making a ton on these drives, heck they probably don't even sell them anymore and only the resellers are profiting beyond belief!

When did market pricing become "price gouging?" If the seller can get $400 or $1000 each for these lasers, good for them. If they're priced too high, no one will buy them, too low and they take a bath, but otherwise it's a rare commodity with high demand and pricing will reflect that.
post #447 of 514 Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
I think Bicker is back using a new IP address.
post #448 of 514 Old 09-30-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

???

post #449 of 514 Old 09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

???

Gave me a chuckle this morning
Bicker was someone who would say no if you said yes or yes if you said no, always trying to play the devils advocate. I haven't seen him around for quite some time......
Anyway, while companies can do anything they want it doesn't make it right. Company morality is quickly going down the toilet and it's sad Sure this type of thing has gone on for years but IMO it's getting worse and worse X10 in this modern world. Some people would say companies don't need to have morals, for those I hope your satisfied when you need to get a part for your old DVDR and it's $100+, I hope you'll be satisfied with a new and improved replacement DVDR
post #450 of 514 Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, so the comment was directed at me.

Look, you can talk about company "morality" but Panasonic's responsibility is long over for most any of these parts; it's likely they were dumped en masse and the seller on eBay bought them knowing what they are and is recouping costs. Large companies like Panasonic don't make a lot of repair parts and don't keep them just sitting on the shelf for 5+ years as there are costs associated with that that need to be amortized (or, something else could be taking up that warehouse space.)

If the seller on eBay finds they are selling, prices may go up both to reflect the market for the item and to make up for losses on other electronics parts purchased that have no takers; that's the way business works.

My comments were not meant to be gut reaction oppositional but rather to reflect how a market economy should function.

By the same token, if the new price is too high, the eBay seller could be sitting on a pile of otherwise useless lasers, so there's incentive there to price them fairly.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)