Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service! - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post

Ah, so the comment was directed at me.

I didn't mean to say that you were a reaction oppositional but rather Biker was somewhat know for this
True the ebay company can do what they want and also I have the right to avoid them even if it means shelving a favorite DVDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

True the ebay company can do what they want and also I have the right to avoid them even if it means shelving a favorite DVDR

eBay's not the seller, rather if you're not familiar with it, it's a marketplace of individual sellers, a giant Internet-based flea market.
post #453 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I haven't seen him around for quite some time......

He was banned.
post #454 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 03:14 PM

Liked: 10
My Panasonic EZ27 DVD player is hanging on "hello" message. Reading other forums, I believe it is linked to the failure of two capacitors. Can anyone point towards any instructions and photos of the repair?
post #455 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhill View Post

My Panasonic EZ27 DVD player is hanging on "hello" message. Reading other forums, I believe it is linked to the failure of two capacitors. Can anyone point towards any instructions and photos of the repair?

I just responded to your question in the other thread.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #456 of 494 Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Wow, this really went up in price! $132 now.

Quote:

That is price gouging

The eBay seller mauriceservice must have heard you, jjeff. He dropped the price back to $72.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #457 of 494 Old 10-01-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

or maybe the law of supply and demand took over and his sales dried up....
oh and for kucharsk, I did know ebay was just the site, when I said ebay seller I meant the seller that had listed on ebay
post #458 of 494 Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Just wanted to share my experience with the flat rate repair at the Panasonic McAllen location recently.

1. On August 5, 2011 I sent my DMR-EH55 to the McAllen Exchange Center in Texas with a check for $260 asking for their flat rate repair option as discussed in this forum here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

It cost me $30 to ship and enclosed the following note:
To Whom It May Concern:
I was directed to send my Panasonic DMR-EH55 (Serial #: XXXXXXXXXXXR) to your facility for repair, as it is 2006 model with no current replacement equivalent model. I would like to request your $260 flat-rate repair option (which includes diagnostic and shipping charge) and have enclosed a check for that amount.
I am having two issues:

1. Recently the hard drive stopped working. When unit is turned on it displays the following symptoms:
• Display flashes “Please Wait” several times before displaying “HDDERR”
• After few moments it opens disc drive door and displays “DRV NG” and “ST FAIL”

2. Prior to issue #1, several months ago, the DVD player stopped working. When unit was turned on whether there is a disc in it or not, chugging sounds would occur (as if it were trying to read a disc). It would chug\\grind 4-5 times displaying “READING” on the screen and then stop. I tried all kinds of discs (store bought movies, RW, -R, +R) and it would demonstrate the same symptoms and not recognize any discs for read or write.

I’ve tried to unplug and “reset” unit but it did not fix either problem.

I would like both of these issues repaired if possible. Also, if at all possible, if you are able to save ANY of the contents of the hard-drive, I would appreciate that very much. If this is not possible, I understand and please still proceed with repair. I can be contacted by e-mail address, physical address, or (work) phone number listed above for any questions.

I’m hoping you will be able to repair my unit. It is one of the best pieces of electronics I’ve every bought and have great experiences with Panasonic products overall.

2. They cashed my check on 08/19. On 08/31 I got a phone message from someone named "Marko" or maybe "Mas Kana" (It was very hard to understand his message.). He said something garbled that sounded like "unit has been assigned to your technician".

3. On 09/07 I got another phone message from "David". He said the unit was expected to ship in 48 hours.

4. On 09/22 I called them back (956-683-2930) and talked to a "Judy". I was told that I was supposed to pay $275 instead of the $260 I had sent. She asked where I had gotten the $260 flat rate price and I told her the representative from the 1-800 number on Panasonic's site. She said she would honor the $260 price and gave me a Work Order # and told me that my unit would be looked at by a technician.

5. Around 10/12-ish my DMR-EH55 was shipped back to me with a note saying UNREPAIRED. It didn't have any information on why it was unrepaired but said that I would get a refund of $215 ($260 - $45 "Labor\\Diagnostic fee"). There was a section titled "Customer Complaint" that listed "HARD DRIVE STOPPED WORKING : WHEN UNIT IS TURNED ON IT DISPLAYS THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS: DISPLAY FLASHES "PLEASE WAIT" SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE DISPLAING 'HDDERR'.
I also got a voice message saying that they did not have the part to do the repair and that $215 would be be refunded to my credit card. (What card?!!! I paid with check!!). (I'm assuming the part they do not have is the hard drive since their invoice didn't mention my other complaint of the DVD burner not working.)

6. I called them back and got "Marko" and was told that they would be mailing out a check around 10/31-->11/15 timeframe. We'll SEE!

So basically I spent $75 (shipping TO, and their diagnotic fee) + 2 months of time waiting to find out that my unit is unrepairably broken to them. Just wanted to share my story. Thanks.

-wickerman
post #459 of 494 Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HELLO wickerman, I can fix this for you. I have brand new hard drives for these units.

MickinCT
post #460 of 494 Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post

Just wanted to share my experience with the flat rate repair at the Panasonic McAllen location recently...

So basically I spent $75 (shipping TO, and their diagnotic fee) + 2 months of time waiting to find out that my unit is unrepairably broken to them. Just wanted to share my story. Thanks.

-wickerman

Another horror story from the Panasonic "Service Center" in McAllen Texas!

I understand that the students in the McAllen Texas public schools now recite the Mexican Pledge of Allegiance and sing the Mexican National Anthem:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/blaz...of-allegiance/

Your DMR-EH55 probably needs a new laser assembly and power supply capacitor replacement(s).

Mickinct is the one to handle those repairs.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #461 of 494 Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Just wanted to share my experience with the flat rate repair at the Panasonic McAllen location recently.

1. On August 5, 2011 I sent my DMR-EH55 to the McAllen Exchange Center in Texas...

2. They cashed my check on 08/19. On 08/31 I got a phone message...

3. On 09/07 I got another phone message

4. On 09/22 I called them back (956-683-2930) and talked to a "Judy"... [who] told me that my unit would be looked at by a technician.

5. Around 10/12-ish my DMR-EH55 was shipped back to me with a note saying UNREPAIRED.

6. I called them back and got "Marko" and was told that they would be mailing out a check around 10/31-->11/15 timeframe. We'll SEE!

-wickerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Another horror story from the Panasonic "Service Center" in McAllen Texas!

Your DMR-EH55 probably needs a new laser assembly and power supply capacitor replacement(s).

Mickinct is the one to handle those repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

HELLO wickerman, I can fix this for you. I have brand new hard drives for these units.

Aug 5 to Oct 15 is a long time to wait FOR NOTHING!

My EH55 died very recently with a bad optical pickup. It was making the five-beep head seeking exactly like the sound this (not the same model) unit makes at around the 0:50 second point.

I'm very glad I did not send mine to McAllen. I sent it to mickinct instead. He has repaired it and it now works perfectly. (Maybe better then before, see my post in the "disk stories" thread.) He was fast, efficient, and professional. And unlike Panasonic, he was also prompt with e-mail updates and communication. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with him. (I would compare him very favorably to McAllen, but that's like comparing him favorably to tossing the machine out! The bar is not too high in that respect.) If you value the continued use of your machine, HE is the person I would recommend for your repair.

It's very nice to have my machine back and working properly. PM mickinct and describe to him your machine's issues. After the closure of Elgin, I was fearing that I might never get my EH55 back working again.

THANKS MICKINCT

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #462 of 494 Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Your welcome Luke, and thanks Bruce.

MickinCT
post #463 of 494 Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Note this type of thing unfortunately happens; I recently spent about $150 to send my beloved Panasonic AG-1980 SVHS deck to just about the only shop that still works on them in LA for diagnosis and repair, only to be told it would have cost about $600 in parts to fix, if they could even get them.

I decided not to.
post #464 of 494 Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic repairs are no longer cost effective, prompt, or reliable. Elgin was staffed by competent people with the resources to fix machines. McAllen apparently is NOT. Panasonic really needs to re-think their service center(s) yet again. The current situation is unacceptable!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #465 of 494 Old 10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Panasonic really needs to re-think their service center(s) yet again. The current situation is unacceptable!

My guess is the Elgin repair facility was a big money loser for Panasonic. Some bean counter took a look at the numbers and said no more It's too bad since even though the Elgin facility may have lost money it produced good will, which is good advertising for potential Panasonic buyers Of course since Panasonic has basically exited the US DVDR market it's not like they will get many new DVDRs sales from it Panasonic still sells many other products in the US, just not DVDRs.
post #466 of 494 Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

My guess is the Elgin repair facility was a big money loser for Panasonic. Some bean counter took a look at the numbers and said no more It's too bad since even though the Elgin facility may have lost money it produced good will, which is good advertising for potential Panasonic buyers Of course since Panasonic has basically exited the US DVDR market it's not like they will get many new DVDRs sales from it Panasonic still sells many other products in the US, just not DVDRs.

Building "good will" or long-term, repeat customers cuts absolutely no ice with corporate bean counters and executives. They don't care if you come back in 2 years or 5 years or 20 years and buy more stuff from their company. They just want the numbers to look good for the last quarter or two so they can get their bonus, promotion, resume bragging rights, etc. As consumers, we have to get used to the "New Normal."

One question about Elgin, though: Did anybody ever determine for certain if they were an actual Panasonic-owned facility or a contractor providing warranty service on Panny products?
post #467 of 494 Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Building "good will" or long-term, repeat customers cuts absolutely no ice with corporate bean counters and executives. They don't care if you come back in 2 years or 5 years or 20 years and buy more stuff from their company. They just want the numbers to look good for the last quarter or two so they can get their bonus, promotion, resume bragging rights, etc. As consumers, we have to get used to the "New Normal."

One question about Elgin, though: Did anybody ever determine for certain if they were an actual Panasonic-owned facility or a contractor providing warranty service on Panny products?

US companies are known for the immediate bottom line at the expense of future profits marketing strategy, the Japanese companies are not (or at least were not) known for that short term view. I don't know if Panasonic has adopted that business model or not.

Yes, with them exiting the DVD recorder market, I can understand their dropping such support, BUT, the Elgin facility was called the Panasonic digital consumer products repair center. They did a LOT more then just DVD recorders.

I don't know if they were Panasonic employees of just contracted by Panasonic, but they had good access to parts, and they did a great job. No one can say either about McAllen.

Luke

post #468 of 494 Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM

My DMR-E85H is DEAD

I have a Panasonic DMR-E85H. It was unexpectedly on yesterday morning, so I switched to standby but the unit kept coming back on.

I decided when it next powered down I would switch off power, wait a few seconds, then re power.

Apparently this was not the best idea I could have had. Now the unit is totally dead. I have tried several times in different known to be good outlets.

I read on this forum that it may be the capacitators, but I also read there is no longer a reliable Panasonic repair service.

I am not skilled enough, or confident enough, to open up the unit to diagnose or repair if there is any hope of a good resolution.

I have stuff on the hard drive I would like to retrieve.

What are my options?

Repair of the unit, who and where?

Hard drive somehow connected to my computer to retrieve the recordings?

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #469 of 494 Old 08-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Member will call me. recvd call from member, unit will be sent to me for repairs.
ineedhelptoo likes this.

MickinCT
post #470 of 494 Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 PM

I called Panasonic in in Elgin, IL today, 8-27-2012 and they said that only the McAllen Exchange Center location did repairs on out of warranty DVD recorders. They still have the flat fee, now $170.00, but only if they examine your unit and determine they can still repair it. If not they will offer you an exchange, if possible, or return your unit unrepaired back to you. I would doubt there are many exchange units left working in their inventory due to the fact that Panasonic has not made DVD recorders with or without the HDD and the TVGOS capability for many years now. Phone number in McAllen is 956-683-2930
post #471 of 494 Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMean View Post

I called Panasonic in in Elgin, IL today, 8-27-2012 and they said that only the McAllen Exchange Center location did repairs on out of warranty DVD recorders. They still have the flat fee, now $170.00, but only if they examine your unit and determine they can still repair it. If not they will offer you an exchange, if possible, or return your unit unrepaired back to you. I would doubt there are many exchange units left working in their inventory due to the fact that Panasonic has not made DVD recorders with or without the HDD and the TVGOS capability for many years now...

These pages have a number of horror stories concerning the McAllen Texas operation.

Do not even consider sending an ES or EH series recorder to McAllen Texas. Do not even consider exchanging pre-2007 models for the problematic EZ series recorders.

You would do well to send a private message to mickinct concerning any repair your ES or EH series recorder might need.

post #472 of 494 Old 08-16-2013, 07:56 PM

Hello Everyone. I have an DMR_HS2 DVR that really gets a work out, even at this late date. I suppose you'd really call it vintage now. I have been through most the problems people have had with that crappy cheap DVD drive that Pana put in these once expensive units.
I still experience the drive trying to open and it stalls, tapping on the DVR cabinet seems to let the drive open, for now. The DVD drive occasionally has a read problem and it really has fits if a dirty or scratched disk is inserted. The programing did not include this problem and will crash requireing a reset and attempts to get the tray open when the systems starts up again. I use this DVR for everything, it is probably the MAIN part of my sound system both for recording and playing movies and music. The hard drive, which works perfectly so far, does most the work. I never play a DVD on the crappy DVD drive. to try to preserve the laser.
That is my intro. Now I don't know if anyone knows what I am about to ask for most of this model may already be buried in the scrap piles. But its worth a shot so here goes.
I have long understood the DMR-HS2 is merely a computer boxed for the consumer to do a specific job. It comes to mind even more when the cheap DVD drive acts up. I keep researching occasionally for a future project but I need some information that I can't find.
I have the service PDF and go though it a lot trying to make sense of what I want to do.
So I don't want to spend good money, even if it were possible to get the DVD drive replaced, on the same drive that will fail again. What I have had in the back of my mind is to find a DVD/CD drive for recording and play that is intended for a computer but will work on the DMR-HS2. I know the power plug is 4 wire and the information plug is 40 pin. This makes be believe it may be an IDE drive.
Physically, the drive would be outside the Panny box, sitting either on top or to the side, obviously that is the easy part.
Now, does anyone have any idea if this would work, the automatic functions of the Dubbing is good and I like how it works. The alternative would be to abandon the DVD drive all together and use the HDD and record onto a stand-alone DVD recorder, like you would when archiving your VHS tapes to DVD. Of course all the auto dubbing features would be gone.
if anyone has an idea if this "FIX" is possible, I sure would like to hear your ideas. I already have plans for when the DVD does finally fail, to use the HDD for all my music and Vid recording and use alternate equipment for recording but if we can just plug in a computer drive, the lifespan will certainly have increased for the Panny.
I thank you for any ideas you may want to entertain.
post #473 of 494 Old 08-16-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageAction View Post

Hello Everyone. I have an DMR_HS2 DVR that really gets a work out, even at this late date. I suppose you'd really call it vintage now. I have been through most the problems people have had with that crappy cheap DVD drive that Pana put in these once expensive units.
I still experience the drive trying to open and it stalls, tapping on the DVR cabinet seems to let the drive open, for now. The DVD drive occasionally has a read problem and it really has fits if a dirty or scratched disk is inserted. The programing did not include this problem and will crash requireing a reset and attempts to get the tray open when the systems starts up again. I use this DVR for everything, it is probably the MAIN part of my sound system both for recording and playing movies and music. The hard drive, which works perfectly so far, does most the work. I never play a DVD on the crappy DVD drive. to try to preserve the laser.
That is my intro. Now I don't know if anyone knows what I am about to ask for most of this model may already be buried in the scrap piles. But its worth a shot so here goes.
I have long understood the DMR-HS2 is merely a computer boxed for the consumer to do a specific job. It comes to mind even more when the cheap DVD drive acts up. I keep researching occasionally for a future project but I need some information that I can't find.
I have the service PDF and go though it a lot trying to make sense of what I want to do.
So I don't want to spend good money, even if it were possible to get the DVD drive replaced, on the same drive that will fail again. What I have had in the back of my mind is to find a DVD/CD drive for recording and play that is intended for a computer but will work on the DMR-HS2. I know the power plug is 4 wire and the information plug is 40 pin. This makes be believe it may be an IDE drive.
Physically, the drive would be outside the Panny box, sitting either on top or to the side, obviously that is the easy part.
Now, does anyone have any idea if this would work, the automatic functions of the Dubbing is good and I like how it works. The alternative would be to abandon the DVD drive all together and use the HDD and record onto a stand-alone DVD recorder, like you would when archiving your VHS tapes to DVD. Of course all the auto dubbing features would be gone.
if anyone has an idea if this "FIX" is possible, I sure would like to hear your ideas. I already have plans for when the DVD does finally fail, to use the HDD for all my music and Vid recording and use alternate equipment for recording but if we can just plug in a computer drive, the lifespan will certainly have increased for the Panny.
I thank you for any ideas you may want to entertain.

Your DMR-HS2 is the first Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder marketed in the US. It dates back to 2002.

The most common problem with Panasonic DVD Drives is a dirty rubber hub atop the spindle (turntable). Your DVD Drive is not easily serviced by using disassembly procedures but it may be serviced without disassembly using one of the two cleaning procedures suggested by Jjeff. Those two cleaning procedures are described in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

post #474 of 494 Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

The DVD drives in Panasonic DVD recorders are exclusive to Panasonic DVDRs, you won't find a PC drive that will work or can even be retrofitted to work in your HS-2. The best some have done is replace things like a failed laser, which is even hard to find unless you have a source.
If you can get the cover off your drive you could use Digado's link to clean the spindle, something that is sure to need to be done after over a decade of use. My guess is your machine may be too far gone to try and use the saliva trick and even using long handled Q-tips may not work well enough.
It's also possible that after 10+ years that the rubber spindle itself may be dried out and hardened and that no amount of cleaning will restore it to good. It's possible that something like "Regrip" (which can eat off dead layers of rubber, exposing a fresh grippy layer) may work but again you'd have to get the drive apart, something I've read is quite hard with very old Panasonics.

If you didn't need the analog tuner(or any tuner for that matter) then something like a international EH-59 may work as a replacement for you. B&H Photo out of NY currently has a couple customer return EH-59s for ~$250 + shipping. I've purchased several and they are great DVDRs and have tons more features than your HS-2. Like all new Panasonics it generates thumbnails for each title, records up to 8hrs/DVD(full D1 resolution up to 4hrs/DVD) and burns to DL media for even more time/DVD.
Even if you could track down a working HS-2 drive(extremely unlikely) you still wouldn't know how long it would last. Something like a EH-59 is basically new and hopefully should give you as long of service as your trusty HS-2. International Panasonics only record NTSC(our TV system) from line inputs and also work with PAL if setup that way.
post #475 of 494 Old 09-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Howdy folks. I have a Panasonic DMR-EH75V (possibly VS) circa 2006 - been running like a champ until about 2 months ago - then the sound cut out. I tried replacing my cables, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue - a few weeks later as I was trying to back up my HDD to DVD, I kept getting errors indicating that the disc was unreadable (invalid format). I tried multiple discs (+, -, +/-, R, RW) to no avail. Oh, and I started getting U99? errors around this time. It was also showing on the display that a DVD was in the drive, even though it was empty.

I took it to a local repair shop, and they gave me an outlandish quote, and to top it off didn't even seem to realize/notice that the first and primary issue was a lack of audio.

I've been reading through the forums here, and while I'm nost likely going to bite the bullet and purchase a new model (most likely a Magnavox) I was curious to see if you might be able to help?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
post #476 of 494 Old 09-20-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the forum patrucho. If you have been reading through the posts here, then you might have come across the many endorsements of forum member MICKINCT for Panasonic repairs. I would seriously recommend you send him a private message describing your problem. He is very good at getting back to you and discussing your issues. If there is any chance of repairing your EH75, he would be the go-to guy. At one time Panasonic had a top repair facility, but they have since closed it and now only do replacements. frown.gif I have used MICKINCT and have been completely satisfied with his work. That's the best advice I can give you.

Luke

post #477 of 494 Old 09-21-2013, 06:28 AM

Hmm, well that's interesting. A/V shop "didn't notice" an audio problem, but after getting my unit back, my sound is working again. Probably because they replaced 2 popped capacitors. Optical drive is the only part not working now. I've been in touch with Mickinct already, and may go that route should the rest of the box start to fail - but for now, I think I can live without that functionality.

Regardless, I'll be sticking around! Especially since I may be looking into a Bluray player soon smile.gif

Pat
post #478 of 494 Old 09-24-2013, 06:39 PM

Hi,
Long time back in pre-history I worked at the Simpson plant in Elgin. For those of you old enough to remember, the Simpson 260 was the multimeter of quality. At that time service was not a dirty word and we took it seriously. No more these days. Now mass production of electronic goods, with built-in self-destruct timers, are the norm. Here in Perth, we have 'junk pickup weeks' twice a year. Many an item have I picked up and restored to operating condition. This latest project is a Panasonic DMR-ES35V. Something I wanted anyway. Loo and behold it worked, so far as least. There was no remote but I ordered one from eBay and am waiting for it now.
George
post #479 of 494 Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm pretty sure I still have a couple Simpson meters, it's a name I haven't heard in quite a while, everything is Fluke now days.
The ES-35v is a very good combo, one of my top 3 I'd say. You might need to keep an eye on the power supply electrolytic caps, like many of the products of it's vintage they are known to fail prematurely, the larger the cap the more problematic it seems.
Panasonics also rarely exhibit laser failure, if that happens you'll know it. The unit will think there is always a DVD inserted and you'll get various error codes. Oh and if you haven't already, you should take the DVD drive apart(just a few screws on the top of the drive) and clean the spindle(the round part the DVD rests on). Panasonics are very prone to collect dust and grime on the spindle causing various read errors, cleaning is done with iso alcohol(or I use some old freon or other non residue cleaner) and something like a Q-tip. This should be done yearly, depending upon use and environment.
Welcome to AVS!
post #480 of 494 Old 09-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Hi jjeff,
Thanks for the advise. As soon as the controller is here and I can check out all the rest of the functions I will do a complete cleanup of the unit.
There are about 60 VHS tapes of Dr Who that need to be transferred to DVD.
George
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page