Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service! - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 494 Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I read thru this thread. So, to summarize, Panasonic's McAllen Repair Center is no longer fixing any Panasonic DVD recorders out of warranty? Or are they just not fixing older models, like the DMR-EH55S? I have a DMR-EH55S that has a defective laser drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 494 Old 09-30-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomster View Post

I read thru this thread. So, to summarize, Panasonic's McAllen Repair Center is no longer fixing any Panasonic DVD recorders out of warranty? Or are they just not fixing older models, like the DMR-EH55S? I have a DMR-EH55S that has a defective laser drive.

My 27 August 2012 post in this thread addresses your situation:

"These pages have a number of horror stories concerning the McAllen Texas operation.

Do not even consider sending an ES or EH series recorder to McAllen Texas. Do not even consider exchanging pre-2007 models for the problematic EZ series recorders.

You would do well to send a private message to mickinct concerning any repair your ES or EH series recorder might need."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #483 of 494 Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks DigaDo for the reply and good word, this member did send his eh55 to me for repairs, I replaced the drive with a brand new unit. he also sent me the media DL-+ for me to test, 1 worked and 1 would not format in the new drive or any other machine I use even a brand new recorder, I suspect BAD media , and the fact that panasonics drives are not a fan of dl+ media. also tried and burned DL- media without an issue. I suggested to member to use only DL- media and was told that he did not like using that type because of pixelation and playback problems.

MickinCT
post #484 of 494 Old 09-30-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The ONLY brand DL discs I use in my Panasonics are Verbatim, -R DL is best but I really only use +R DL because of cost. I've only had one failure with the Verbatim DLs but had tons of failures with Windata +R DLs and other cheaper DLs. Again because of this I ONLY use Verbatims in my Panasonics, 2.4x although 8x may be OK too, I've just always used 2.4x.
I rarely use DLs in my standalones, I mostly use them in my PC which for the most part burns even the cheaper DLs but I do wonder about their longevity.....
post #485 of 494 Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The ONLY brand DL discs I use in my Panasonics are Verbatim, -R DL is best but I really only use +R DL because of cost. I've only had one failure with the Verbatim DLs but had tons of failures with Windata +R DLs and other cheaper DLs. Again because of this I ONLY use Verbatims in my Panasonics, 2.4x although 8x may be OK too, I've just always used 2.4x.
I rarely use DLs in my standalones, I mostly use them in my PC which for the most part burns even the cheaper DLs but I do wonder about their longevity.....

I have given up on finding any good -R DL disks. Do you have a source, other then vendors in the UK?

I have use the 8x DL media, and surprise, on my EH55s, and EH59s, the 2.4x, and 8x take almost the same time to complete an HS burn. I'm not sure I understand it completely, but one good test is worth a lot of forum rhetoric. smile.gif
Quote:
this member did send his eh55 to me for repairs, I replaced the drive with a brand new unit. he also sent me the media DL-+ for me to test, 1 worked and 1 would not format in the new drive or any other machine I use even a brand new recorder, I suspect BAD media

If he is using any DL media other then Verbatim AZO, then I agree, it is very likely the media. With the proliferation of junk media, the only two I have recommended for a while now are T-Y and Verbatim AZO. Anything else is a waste, even if it is cheaper. This week I have made a few DL disks, and have used Verbatim +R DL media. my EH55s and EH59s seem content with those blanks.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #486 of 494 Old 10-01-2013, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I have given up on finding any good -R DL disks. Do you have a source, other then vendors in the UK?
Microcenter sells Verbatim -R DL blanks(on the shelf, I just saw them last week) as well as places like Amazon(US) but they only sell individually or in a 3 pack with jewel case, way too expensive and cumbersome for me frown.gif Even if they just had a 10 or 20 pack spindle I might be interested but not in jewel cases.
post #487 of 494 Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 12
Sent a PM to mickinct several days ago with a query about this, but have not yet received any response -- he may not want to mess with the handheld remote control for units he takes in for repair, just the main box.

The remote control for my Panasonic DMR-E85HS has one button which has become less and less functional over the past few months, and the button in question is the forward side of the variable-speed scan function (reverse side works normally). Pressing really hard may after some repeated effort may initiate the function or change the speed, but both requires increasing force and too many attempts -- a good contact is not being made or there is some other physical issue at play inside the remote. When this sort of behavior has occurred with other AV remotes I've always managed to correct or at least improve the function by taking them apart and cleaning all the contact areas with denatured alcohol and a swab on the internal circuit board and the button underside, but I haven't been able to figure out how the remote opens and don't want to use excessive force or tools to pry open something not so designed. There doesn't seem to be any screw connections anywhere, and despite trying gently to see if it will snap apart, I've not had any success so far and have been reluctant to apply more force until confident that approach is proper.

If any current or former owners of that particular model can enlighten me or offer other suggestions, I'd very much appreciate it. Cheers, Jim smile.gif
post #488 of 494 Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM

Hi Jim good to hear everything is working for you the remote problem is not worth for me to fix cost wise and for you but check this one out
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Panasonic-EUR7721KG0-Replacement-Remote-Control-for-DMR-E85H-DVD-Recorder-/231056042261?pt=US_Remote_Controls&hash=item35cc036915

MickinCT
post #489 of 494 Old 10-02-2013, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Mike -- eBay was on my list to eventually check out but it hasn't been that high of a priority just yet and I'm still inclined to figure out how to break into the remote to see if cleaning the contact areas will mitigate whatever is causing the nonresponsive behavior.
post #490 of 494 Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM

jhvance,

I had a remote for the DMR-EH55S go bad. The Play button didn't work unless you pressed it hard a few times. The contact probably wore down. Not worth fixing - get a replacement on EBay. That's what I did for the EH55S remote.
post #491 of 494 Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had good luck repairing many a remote but NOT Panasonic DVDR remotes frown.gif I can't get the bloody things apart, pry as I may they won't separate, and I've taken many remotes apart. I swear if I pried any harder the thing would break.
Not sure if they are glued together or what but I've given up. I also have a EH-55 remote with a hard to push PLAY key, I just purchased a replacement from a place someone mentioned here(not ebay where I have never purchased anything) but a place that sells just remotes. I think it was ~$25 shipped but I'm just guessing. The place I got it from sold what seemed like every model of Panasonic remotes.
post #492 of 494 Old 10-07-2013, 05:02 AM

MICKINCT, I have a repair issue with a pany 100. How can I contact you to see about getting it repaired?

post #493 of 494 Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 AM

Member was sent a PM.

MickinCT
post #494 of 494 Old 10-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the responses jjeff and doomster, but after some careful effort I was eventually able to pry apart the DMR-E85H remote and clean the contact surfaces, so now it works quite well. The trick in getting the darn thing apart seems to be in starting from the bottom with a fingernail, then going to a flat-blade screwdriver in the opening produced (a spackle or putty knife might work, but is likely too wide) then working gradually around one side to "pop" the internal catches one-by-one. Once both the circuit board and flexible button-pad surfaces were cleaned with denatured alcohol, it snapped back together without any issues -- the transparent window on the front is a loose piece and needs to be placed in the correct orientation during the process, and requires a bit of dexterity to keep from falling out before the two pieces of the body are joined.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page