Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I can't understand why they would be offering you a EZ-485 in exchange for a ES-25. In reality the EA-18 or even the EZ-28 would be a better match and far more stable than the very buggy EZ-485. The EZ-48 would be a more like swap for something like a ES-45/6 but even then I'd rather try my luck with the EA-38 than the very buggy EZ-485.
RAM is mostly a dead recording format for new machines other than on Panasonics. If you don't need the digital tuner and want upconverting I guess the EA-18 might be your best bet, but truthfully your ES-25 tops them all
AFA W.G.B.D's vs new I guess it depends on how lucky you feel. As others are finding out buying refurbished Magnavox 2160's (that have a hidden feature telling you how many hours it's been used) most of those refurbished DVDRs have less than a couple hours use. Most were probably bought and returned when the user found out it didn't work like their old VCRs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Then again, maybe they had HD displays and just didn't care for the picture quality.

(Probably didn't care for the fact that you couldn't delete subchannels, either.)
post #93 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

. . . As others are finding out buying refurbished Magnavox 2160's (that have a hidden feature telling you how many hours it's been used) most of those refurbished DVDRs have less than a couple hours use. Most were probably bought and returned when the user found out it didn't work like their old VCRs

I purchased two of the refurbished 2160 models--the original versions--offered by J&R at $159.99.

At delivery the first one, of December 2008 manufacture, was found to have been powered on for 296 hours. After setup and doing several hard drive recordings, editing and high-speed dubbing I checked the laser usage times finding a total DVD Drive laser writing of 10 minutes and laser reading of 1:50 hour.

At delivery the second one, of May 2008 manufacture, was found to have been powered on for 8 hours (the figure changed to 9 hours while I was in that screen). After setup and before doing any recording I checked the laser usage times finding a total DVD Drive laser writing of zero minutes and laser reading of 14 minutes.

Both these 2160 models have been set up for clear QAM reception. So far there have been no problems. (My first 2160 was purchased new at walmart.com. It is of August 2008 manufacture and is enslaved to a Comcast STB. A few days ago it reported hard drive power on of 516 hours, DVD Drive laser writing of 24:35 hours and DVD Drive reading of 106:47 hours.)

It's said that the next J&R shipments may be the 2160 "A" version of March or May 2009 manufacture. If so, these may be the versions that are unable to write, format or finalize DVDs if there are timer scheduled programs. The original workaround was to delete the timer scheduled programs, write, format or finalize DVDs then re-enter the timer scheduled programs, a minor inconvenience. More recently Wajo has found a more convenient workaround, set the source (input) to L3, write, format or finalize DVDs and then set the source back to the normal setting. Even more recently (late April 2010) Funia has posted a firmware upgrade to correct this problem.

These refurbished 2160 models come with a ninety day Funai warranty. At $159.99 the 2160 is a bargain!

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #94 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

It's said that the next J&R shipments may be the 2160 "A" version of March or May 2009 manufacture.

Blech. Forget it, then. The only one I'd want is the H2160.

That's the only version I never heard about people having any regular problems with. The H2080 I had had all kinds of bugs, and others here reported many of the same problems way back when it first came out (QAM tuner not picking up channels, timer recordings being dropped, clock losing time by 3 hours) .
post #95 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^^ We should hold out hope that since they're refurbishing the units, that the timer/finalize bug could be corrected in this next shipment-if they are indeed the A's.

Edit-J&R has (as of 5:33pm CST) the 2160 back on, with a limited supply notice in red.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #96 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

. . . The H2080 I had had all kinds of bugs, and others here reported many of the same problems way back when it first came out (QAM tuner not picking up channels, timer recordings being dropped, clock losing time by 3 hours) .

In December 2008 I purchased a refurbished 2080, of July 2007 manufacture, from an online store in Markham Ontario. The 2080 was set up for clear QAM reception. It has had no problems. (Both of my refurbished 2160 models are also set up for clear QAM reception, so far without any problems.) For use with the 2080 I purchased the much better 2160 remote, and in March I upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate with 160 GB capacity. A few days ago the 2080 reported hard drive power-on at 638 hours with laser use times for DVD Drive writing at 54:19 hours and DVD Drive reading at 158:18 hours. My 2080 is proving itself as a very reliable workhorse.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #97 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

I can't understand why they would be offering you a EZ-485 in exchange for a ES-25. In reality the EA-18 or even the EZ-28 would be a better match and far more stable than the very buggy EZ-485. The EZ-48 would be a more like swap for something like a ES-45/6 but even then I'd rather try my luck with the EA-38 than the very buggy EZ-485.
RAM is mostly a dead recording format for new machines other than on Panasonics. If you don't need the digital tuner and want upconverting I guess the EA-18 might be your best bet, but truthfully your ES-25 tops them all
AFA W.G.B.D's vs new I guess it depends on how lucky you feel. As others are finding out buying refurbished Magnavox 2160's (that have a hidden feature telling you how many hours it's been used) most of those refurbished DVDRs have less than a couple hours use. Most were probably bought and returned when the user found out it didn't work like their old VCRs

3rd chapter.
I went to WGBD to order the EA18 and they don't have any in stock so my 114.95 price is gone. Amazon still has the 169.98 price on their Ea18 and since I really don't want the VCR/DVD EZ485 I guess my choice has narrowed to one unit. I wish I could have found a refurb or new ES25 as I really liked it even though it only lasted 2 yrs. Thanks everybody for the replies.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #98 of 516 Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

If you could get by without the HDMI upconverting WGBD lists a ES-15 for $71.95. The ES-15 is basically identical to the ES-25 except for the HDMI upconverting and again it's of the less buggy ES design. Oh I guess the ES-15 also lacks the SD card slot.
post #99 of 516 Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you could get by without the HDMI upconverting WGBD lists a ES-15 for $71.95. The ES-15 is basically identical to the ES-25 except for the HDMI upconverting and again it's of the less buggy ES design. Oh I guess the ES-15 also lacks the SD card slot.

Well it's getting quite silly, I'm sitting here with a PS3 and that has a BD-60 backup unit under the bed. Now I'm trying to get a backup for my EZ-28(a brand new unit). Where does it end, I am dumber than a box of rocks. I believe I'm going to have to jump off this Panasonic train to nowhere. It just goes on and on and on. Sorry minor vent.

post #100 of 516 Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_WNY View Post

Well, I said I would post again to report my results. As I said in my earlier post (#54). I sent it to the Elk Grove address with a letter and a check for $130. After I called on 6/30, I still didn't hear anything and called again on 7/10. I talked with the same person who said that the part came in, but the tech had to order another part.

The UPS guy showed up with it on Monday, July 20. The invoice says "REPLACED DVD DRIVE" and listed Part Number RFKNEH75VP with a description of "RAM/DIGITAL PCB MODULE." $130 paid in full.

Everything seems to work good. It took awhile, but I'm very happy to get my DVD recorder back.

Thanks for all your help - hope you have good luck also.

Another confimation,

My E85 got shipped from IL and had same parts replaced.

Harddrive is all functioning with all my anolog programs intact.

Still have to check 'burnabilty' of new DVD drive and hooking up for digital TVGOS thru DTVPal.

You got to be nuts; you want me to pay to watch commercials?
post #101 of 516 Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Just got a call from the Elk Grove facility. I had called them a couple of weeks ago and they had told me to send my E85 and Eh55 to them for repair.

Today the tech told me they no longer repair these models and had shipped them to the Elgin facility, which, ironically, is where they used to repair them a few years ago.

The disturbing part of what he said was they were consolidating repair facilities for these older models to Elgin only BECAUSE PARTS ARE GETTING IN SHORT SUPPLY FOR THEM.

So it looks like Elgin is place but for how long?
post #102 of 516 Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

Just got a call from the Elk Grove facility. I had called them a couple of weeks ago and they had told me to send my E85 and Eh55 to them for repair.

Today the tech told me they no longer repair these models and had shipped them to the Elgin facility, which, ironically, is where they used to repair them a few years ago.

The disturbing part of what he said was they were consolidating repair facilities for these older models to Elgin only BECAUSE PARTS ARE GETTING IN SHORT SUPPLY FOR THEM.

So it looks like Elgin is place but for how long?

Breyean,

Thank you for this report. I've now revised several posts in this thread to incorporate the information. Perhaps there are posts in other threads that will also require revision as they come to my attention.

Do you have a direct phone number for the Elgin facility?

Here is the street address:

Panasonic Service Center
410 B Airport Rd.
Elgin, IL 60123

post #103 of 516 Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Breyean,

Thank you for this report. I've now revised several posts in this thread to incorporate the information. Perhaps there are posts in other threads that will also require revision as they come to my attention.

Do you have a direct phone number for the Elgin facility?

Here is the street address:

Panasonic Service Center
410 B Airport Rd.
Elgin, IL 60123

Yes. The phone # for Elgin is 847-468-5543.
post #104 of 516 Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

Yes. The phone # for Elgin is 847-468-5543.

Thanks again. That phone number has been added to the first post in this thread.

post #105 of 516 Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, next chapter on my ES-25 problem. I sent it to Texas and they were going to replace it with a 485 which I did not want. Today I called and left messages at Texas and Elk Grove and Elgin.

Mary from Elgin (only message return I got) called and gave me instructions and get unit shipped from Texas to Elgin where they will repair it for the flat rate of 130.00. Mary was a sweetheart.

I then finally got hold of Josie in Texas and everything is in motion, God willing and the creek don't rise I should get my ES25 back, to back up my 3 week old EZ28. I know sounds silly that I would need a backup for my new EZ28 but I am an old Panasonic customer and I will be prepared. I will write more when I find out more.

post #106 of 516 Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Last week I received my re-repaired unit back. Apparently one of the PCB's (possibly in the front panel?) was broken during return shipment after the DVD-RAM drive was repaired (invoice also stated the firmware was updated). As noted by the tech who called me, the drive was formatted and my recordings were not listed in the navigator. I immediately opened the case, removed the HDD and hooked it up via an external USB enclosure and imaged the drive similarly to worley45's instructions. A quick check showed that the mpg's were still on there, so I'll get them eventually.

Anyway, I've recorded quite a few programs to the HDD and burned 4 discs so far and everything operates as new. One thing, and this may be related to the statement that parts are in short supply, but it looks like the front panel they replaced the damaged one with was taken from either a dead unit or has been around the block. There were two small chips off the 'clearish' flip front panel, as well as several scrapes and paint rubs all along the top, sides and corners. Not as nice as it once was, but as long as it performs. I just hope the DVD-RAM drive lasts longer than the original.
post #107 of 516 Old 08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
This is good, and reassuring news. thanks for the update. I suspect that simple cosmetic items like the front panel are getting in short supply, so they are actively recycling them. I'm with you--as long as it doesn't have any effect on performance, not a problem.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #108 of 516 Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM

I just got off the phone with Linda from Panasonic. She had called to tell me my two machines, an EH55 and an E85 had been repaired and would ship out today.

We got to talking about the state of confusion about which repair facility is doing what with dvd recorders and she commented that she's been getting tons of calls from irate customers who sent their machines to Texas only to have them resent to IL or to be offered some poor substitute.

But the key comment she made, and the one that I wanted to pass along in this forum is this:

She said at this point IT'S ONLY A RUMOR AROUND THE FACILITY, but she's heard that at the end of the year they will no longer be doing repairs under the $130 flat fee program. I had asked her about the running out of parts comment another rep there had made to me previously, and that's what brought up her comment.

Again, may or may not true, and she didn't know if they would stop repairing dvd recorders cold turkey, or if just the $130 flat fee program was ending, but I'm throwing it out there, AS A RUMOR FROM THE FACILITY, in case anyone, like me, has been sitting on a broken Panny. My EH55 had been out of service for quite a while, and I'm now happy I sent it in and got it fixed.
post #109 of 516 Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

More F.U.D.! I really dislike that sort of thing. I suppose the loss of the $130 flat rate repair was inevitable, but it was a selling point often made here.

Sigh...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #110 of 516 Old 08-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Last Friday I got a call from the Panny repair facility - my E85 and EH55 were done and shipping that day!

They arrived on Tuesday and I was pleasantly surprised. Not only had the fixed the mechanical issues as I had expected, but they also replaced the front panel of the E85. I had dropped that machine while moving it from one room to another. It caught the edge of some furniture, punching a hole in the side of the front plastic casing. Then it did a flip, landing on the front panel, breaking the POWER button and disabling most of the others (the open tray button still worked).

So when I opened it I was happy to see they had taken another front panel (looks used, which makes sense given their comments to me about running out of parts) and my E85 looks and works great.

Once again, very happy with the service and you can't beat the price. At least for the time being.
post #111 of 516 Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

On 8/11/09 I added the reply below,
Quote:

Ok, next chapter on my ES-25 problem. I sent it to Texas and they were going to replace it with a 485 which I did not want. Today I called and left messages at Texas and Elk Grove and Elgin.

Mary from Elgin (only message return I got) called and gave me instructions and get unit shipped from Texas to Elgin where they will repair it for the flat rate of 130.00. Mary was a sweetheart.

I then finally got hold of Josie in Texas and everything is in motion, God willing and the creek don't rise I should get my ES25 back, to back up my 3 week old EZ28. I know sounds silly that I would need a backup for my new EZ28 but I am an old Panasonic customer and I will be prepared. I will write more when I find out more.

8/21/09
Ok, today I received my ES-25 back all bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Looks great it says they replaced an electrical part, something called an "Optical Pick-Up". They replaced part, updated firmware, test, reset. Flat fee of 130.00. They received unit from Texas on 8/18/09 and then shipped it back to me on 8/20 and I got unit today.

I asked Linda about the stop unit repair program and she could not confirm as she said all is rumor now. The weird part is they sent me a card for an extended service plan and I'm wondering how that is going to work if they decide to stop repair. I plan to set unit up in morning. Will write more then.

8/22/09
Well swapped out the EZ28 and setup my favorite ES25 and all appears to be working great. The EZ28 though a newer model will be relegated to a backup unit. (besides only got 90 days on warranty)
All done and if problems occur will get back on.

post #112 of 516 Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

I sent in my DMR es35 a few days ago and got the call from Linda at the Elgin repair facility and it is being repaired so they are still doing work there. At the rate my recorders are breaking down I am pleased to see they have not stopped repairs.

post #113 of 516 Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Does anyone know if this $130 flat rate also applies to blu ray players? My DMP-BD30 has developed the dreaded cannot read disc problem with about 50% of the blu rays that I try to play. Thanks..
post #114 of 516 Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob222 View Post

Does anyone know if this $130 flat rate also applies to blu ray players? My DMP-BD30 has developed the dreaded cannot read disc problem with about 50% of the blu rays that I try to play. Thanks..

Give them a call and they will let you know.

The address is
Panasonic Service Center
410 B Airport Rd.
Elgin, IL 60123
847-468-5543,

post #115 of 516 Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I called today. No dice for a flat rate on blu ray players. $100 labor, plus parts, plus shipping. The laser assembly alone probably cost well over $100 and from what I've read in this forum, that is the issue with this particular model. I paid $450 for this thing. It should have lasted longer than a year and a half. I updated to the latest firmware. I also tried a full reset and that Maxell wind tunnel lens cleaner. None helped.
post #116 of 516 Old 09-22-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Bummer. I agree, it should have lasted longer than 18 months. If it's out of warranty, then they have no more legal requirement to charge you any less than the full repair cost. They might have a moral requirement, but how often do large corporations act on moral needs? The only good thing is that, in some places at least, new Blu Ray players are going for about $100, maybe a bit less. Scant comfort though.

Luke

post #117 of 516 Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM

I'm new to this forum, but am very grateful to all that have contributed the great amount of knowledge on this thread. It has been quite helpful to me.

I own a Panasonic E80H that has a DVD burner/reader that does not work. I am shipping for repair today, enclosing a letter describing the problems. I wanted to share my excellent exprerience in contacting Panasonic.

Per DigaDo's instruction at the beginning of the thread, I called the phone number at Elk Grove. They said that they were no longer servicing units with hard drives at that location, but referred me to Elgin. I called Elgin and they said to ship it to them and they would call me upon arrival. They said it would be $130 + tax and that I could pay via credit card. They were very easy to work with and no need to argue/beg/plead for the $130 flat rate -- it was offered up front.

So far, so good ... I'll keep you posted as I go thru the process.
post #118 of 516 Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Bummer. I agree, it should have lasted longer than 18 months. If it's out of warranty, then they have no more legal requirement to charge you any less than the full repair cost. They might have a moral requirement, but how often do large corporations act on moral needs? The only good thing is that, in some places at least, new Blu Ray players are going for about $100, maybe a bit less. Scant comfort though.

I had actually made the mistake of calling the main 800# and they said no. Today I called 847-468-5543 in Elgin IL and they said send it in. Flate rate repair $130.

But after thinking about it I have decided it's not worth fixing. Time to buy a new one.
post #119 of 516 Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way we can get this thread and the accompanying spindle cleaning thread as sticky threads at the top? Mods?

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #120 of 516 Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

While I can't create stickies, I did create a link to both the threads you wanted in my Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features thread. It's on the sig in most of my posts and lord knows I post enough so it should be easy to find in most current threads.
Most links like the ones you requested are at the end of the OP.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page