Panasonic Repairs? The ONLY place for warranty or out-of-warranty service! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 494 Old 08-15-2008, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22

NOTICE: Panasonic has implemented "new policies."  

The reader is directed to this 12/30/2010 post, and subsequent posts, for updated information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19735515

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 494 Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DigaDo, do you know if Panasonic is still providing the $130 flat-rate repair option?

"I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific."
-----Lily Tomlin
post #3 of 494 Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and Ones View Post

DigaDo, do you know if Panasonic is still providing the $130 flat-rate repair option?

See this post and those that follow it for the most recent report concerning the $130 flat-rate repair:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15423726

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #4 of 494 Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and Ones View Post

They did as of December 15th or so.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 494 Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 AM

I contacted the 1-888-439-2676 for more information concerning the $130 flat-rate repair and the shipping procedure for out-of-warranty products.

They declared they are a Panasonic service center but do not perform plasma repairs nor plasma warranties.

They directed me to another number in Elgin Illinois 847-468-5543.

Left a message and see if they call back.
post #6 of 494 Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown435 View Post

I contacted the 1-888-439-2676 for more information concerning the $130 flat-rate repair and the shipping procedure for out-of-warranty products.

They declared they are a Panasonic service center but do not perform plasma repairs nor plasma warranties.

They directed me to another number in Elgin Illinois 847-468-5543.

Left a message and see if they call back.

Thank you for providing that information.

The Elgin Illinois facility was the main corporate Service Center back in August 2006 when I had a warranty claim with my first DMR-ES30V combo recorder.

Subsequently, the department handling DVD recorder repairs was moved fifteen miles or so to Elk Grove Village Illinois.

8/20/2010 Update: DVD recorder repair has been consolidated at the Elgin Illinois facility.

post #7 of 494 Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Sears in home warranty is $349 for 3 years.

Been told by Sears they will come out annually and inspect / clean the interior of the Panasonic Plasma TV.

Told their Sears technicians are authorized repairmen for Panasonic Plasmas.

Was told they will "calibrate" the set at least annually for general maintenance and if it is out of spec they will repair or replace the Plasma TV.
post #8 of 494 Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The corporate Panasonic Service Centers in . . . Illinois handle warranty and out-of-warranty repairs in a prompt and efficient manner. They are the Panasonic experts with access to the parts necessary to bring a Panasonic back to new or better than new functional condition . . .

Avoid "Panasonic Authorized Service" locations that service many brands, specializing in none. They many not have a service manual or parts for your product. They may charge whatever they please to service or repair out-of-warranty products. If parts are needed be prepared to wait for an extended period. Some parts may no longer be ordered by "authorized" shops. I have read many posts (on this and other forums) from those learning this lesson the hard way.

As someone believing that the entrepreneur is an important part of our society I've had mixed feelings about the second part of the above advice. A person with a problematic Panasonic is naturally inclined to seek out the local businessman to repair a Panasonic.

The first problem comes when a local business seldom has experience servicing/repairing Panasonic DVD recorders, especially the high-end HDD/DVD models that require specialized experience/training/resources.

The next problem comes with limited parts availability and highly inflated parts costs to local repair shops and the general public through the Panasonic Service and Technology Company in Kent Washington.

The next problem comes from Panasonic's Customer Service (New Jersey or other locations) keeping information concerning the $130 flat-rate repair through the Elgin Service Center under their hat.

The bargain $130 flat-rate repair is only available to those that know to request it or take it upon themselves to send their machines, including their letter of explanation and $130 payment, directly to the Service Center in Elgin Illinois.

It would be much better for Panasonic to give the best, most complete information to all their customers. As it is, only a relative few Panasonic owners are aware of the flat-rate repair. Those owners are the ones finding their way to AVS and other forums where the flat-rate "inside information" is freely exchanged. It is up to the "informed" to spread the word so that many of the "uninformed" may benefit.

8/20/2010 Update: DVD recorder repair has been consolidated at the Elgin Illinois facility.

post #9 of 494 Old 06-08-2009, 04:02 PM

Will they do service for Canadians?

On ebay a guy is charging $145 US(including shipping both ways) to fix Panny E85h he is in the windy city i believe

same place?
post #10 of 494 Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster316 View Post

On ebay a guy is charging $145 US(including shipping both ways) to fix Panny E85h he is in the windy city i believe

same place?

Call the corporate Elgin Illinois facility for information concerning service to Canadian addresses. Report your findings.

Elgin Illinois is a Chicago suburb. Panasonic does not advertise the $130 flat-rate repair.

Some guy, any guy, on eBay is not the same as the Elgin Illinois Service Center. You take your chances when dealing with a private party.

I just found an eBay listing for an $145.99 repair for the "Please Wait" hangup with a DMR-E85H. That listing shows an Arlington Texas location. That particular repair is a power supply electrolytic capacitor replacement requiring a $2 generic part and around an hour's labor.

This repair has been discussed in this and several other threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

post #11 of 494 Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

same place?

My EH55 was purchased in Canada by my wife's uncle. In the box, the instructions said to send it Elk Grove, IL for repair, so yes, I'm sure that they service people with a Canadian address. I would call them anyway just to be sure, but I sincerely doubt you have anything to worry about. Be sure you INSIST on the $130 flat rate repair.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #12 of 494 Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Call the corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois at 1-888-439-2676 for information concerning service to Canadian addresses. Report your findings.

Elk Grove Village is just northwest of Chicago's O'Hare airport. Panasonic does not advertise the $130 flat-rate repair.

Some guy, any guy, on eBay is not the same as the corporate Panasonic Digital Service Center. You take your chances when dealing with a private party.

I just found an eBay listing for an $145.99 repair for the "Please Wait" hangup with a DMR-E85H. That listing shows an Arlington Texas location. That particular repair is a power supply electrolytic capacitor replacement requiring a $2 generic part and around an hour's labor.

This repair has been discussed in this and several other threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

yeah it's that guy...he has a very high rating so he must know what he is doing...

he called him and he said he could fix all 3 of my panny units in 2 days(he only needs 2 days per unit)
post #13 of 494 Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah it's that guy...he has a very high rating so he must know what he is doing...

he called him and he said he could fix all 3 of my panny units in 2 days(he only needs 2 days per unit)

I have a very limited knowledge of electronics and only very basic soldering skills, yet I've successfully replaced capacitors in several Panasonics in my immediate family. Do I work on Panasonics outside my immediate family? No, because I have other time-consuming interests, I have no diagnostic equipment and I might make a mistake damaging someone else's machine.

I will rephrase my earlier advice:

A capacitor replacement takes one hour, mainly for machine disassembly and reassembly, requires a $2 capacitor and involves unsoldering and resoldering two pins.

The complication comes when some other problem is present that may require parts priced at $786 (for private repair shops and the general public).

Ask the Arlington Texas fellow what he’ll do about that.

Beginning with the owner’s letter describing the machine's problems, the Elgin Service Center will run diagnostic routines to determine what is required to return each unit to full functionality. Then the Panasonic experts do whatever is necessary to return the machine to new or better than new functional condition, all for $130 (including return shipping) a bargain!

Or, you may take your chances with the Arlington Texas fellow. It's as simple as that. You decide.

post #14 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Not that I don't trust Jamiejoo but I'd really like one more conformation before giving up on the flat rate repair. Panasonic has been rather cagey on that offer and at times it's taken several tries to get it. It would be a sad day indeed if it was over
post #15 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Not that I don't trust Jamiejoo but I'd really like one more conformation before giving up on the flat rate repair. Panasonic has been rather cagey on that offer and at times it's taken several tries to get it. It would be a sad day indeed if it was over

I really agree tht the loss of the $130 flat rate repair would be a disaster for us. Maybe the result of the economy? The line that has me the most concerned is,
Quote:

I had read the post about the $130 before I called them. I was told that this is no longer available, and that the repair center is not in Illinois anymore; it is in Texas and is called McAllen Service Center.

This would imply that Panasonic is farming out their repairs now, rather than doing them themselves. On the other hand, this may all be a big mistake.

Luke

post #16 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I really agree tht the loss of the $130 flat rate repair would be a disaster for us. Maybe the result of the economy? The line that has me the most concerned is,
This would imply that Panasonic is farming out their repairs now, rather than doing them themselves. On the other hand, this may all be a big mistake.

I attempted to call the Panasonic Customer Service Center in McAllen Texas. There were recorded announcements but I was unable to speak with a live person.

Then I called Panasonic Customer Service. I was placed on hold after telling the associate that I was seeking information regarding out-of-warranty repairs for DVD recorders through the Panasonic Customer Service Center in McAllen Texas. I was transferred to Technical Assistance. After waiting on hold around fifty minutes I was able to speak with someone. I repeated my inquiry. The associate described an exchange process for warranty or out-of-warranty DVD recorders. She said that they do not repair the customer's machine but exchange it for a refurbished machine of the same model, if available, or a similar model if the same model is not available. She mentioned sending a copy of the receipt (probably for warranty exchanges) and including with the returned machine a brief description of the machine's problems. She needed to know what state I was in and the model number of the machine I wished to return for exchange. I told her that I had a non-functional DMR-ES46V and I live in Oregon. She quoted a DMR-ES46V exchange to an Oregon address at $140, including shipping. She confirmed that there isn't a single flat-rate that applies to all models shipped to all locations. She then said that if I want to do an exchange someone would call me back within thirty minutes. I declined.

post #17 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
To the poster on CDFREAKS, or anyone else, who wants to retrieve from the HDD but DVD is not working, could they borrow dvdr and connect via s-video & audio? Wouldn't be high-speed, but even a no-hdd recorder could be used to salvage some valued footage. (I'm not a cdfreaks member.)
post #18 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

This would imply that Panasonic is farming out their repairs now, rather than doing them themselves.

McAllen Texas appears to be within two miles of the Mexican border. Here is the contact information for the Panasonic Customer Service Center facility in McAllen Texas:

PANASONIC CUSTOMER SERVICE CEN 4900 B #12 GEORGE MCVAY DRIVE MC ALLEN TX 78503 (800) 211-7262

Perhaps Panasonic has combined its Mexican refurbishing operation with this Customer Service Center.

Both of my refurbished Panasonics came in sealed brown Panasonic boxes that had a sticker that included "Refurbished in Mexico" just below the words "Manufactured in Malaysia."

post #19 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Repair Center closure. Bummer.
post #20 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...The associate described an exchange process for warranty or out-of-warranty DVD recorders. She said that they do not repair the customer's machine but exchange it for a refurbished machine of the same model, if available, or a similar model if the same model is not available.

How will this work with impossible to find machines like the EH75? I also assume that this would imply that any content on a hard drive would be lost in the exchange process. One of the best things about Panasonic DVD recorders has just been killed by Panasonic themselves I fear. Sigh...

Luke

post #21 of 494 Old 06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt they care anymore as they only make very basic recorders now so who cares about older models that they won't make anything on in repairs. They don't really seem to want to sell recorders anymore anyways so they're giving up and the hell with any of us with older gear they made.
Lets hope they don't go the same way with their better TV's and things. I remember for a brief period when the first decent almost flat TV was their Gao tv. I bought a few and really liked them, one is still working well for my boss over 10 years later.
post #22 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
Wow, if this is true that they stopped the $130 Flat Rate Repair service. I think I am just going to sign up for a 2 year extention on my Customer Care Exteneded Warranty Plan that Panasonic is offering me for my DMR-E500H Dvd Recorder. The original 3 year extended warranty plan ends in July and they are offering me a 1 year plan for $59.95 or 2 year for $89.95. Think I will take the 2 year plan and that will cover me to July of 2011. I was just going to pass on this offer and get service with the $130 Flat Rate. But I guess that will not be a option.

So what does that mean for folks who have older Panny dvd recorders that are not under warranty any more. I know about 10-15 people here who have E80 E85, E95, E75 that already had them serviced/repaired under the $130 Flat Rate Repair service. We here are the Korean Drama Capitol of the USA. We get most of our Korean Dramas with subtitles. So these folks really use and need a HD. They copy episodes to their HD's and then edit out commercials and burn 3-6 episodes depending on length of each episode to a dvd-r/+r. They and me need a HD.
post #23 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess if you can't do it yourself your SOL. I have a E80h here myself that I all ready had to crack open when the burner locked and I couldn't remember the code to force the door to open.
Sounds like it will cost you more money and probably get stuck with a inferior replacement seeing how I don't think they're going to have any of the older models in to refurb.
post #24 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
They won't. None of those models have been around for ages. An HDD/VHS/DVD model will most likely be replaced by the EZ28 (first choice), because that's the closest thing to it.

And I'd imagine they'll offer that or the EZ28 for a replacement for an HDD/DVD model (or whatever they have laying around or can get their hands on).

Also, I would check that they'll actually be willing or able to repair your older models before springing on any kind of extention of your extended warranty (like call the service center directly and ask). It would be kind of senseless to spend the money if they're just going to replace it with the EZ28 (or whatever).

Personally, if they just offered me money, I'd much rather have that than an EZ28.
post #25 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm kind of bummed too, yesterday I bought Panasonic #9(I think, I'm beginning to lose track) a shinny new looking EH-50 I just couldn't pass it up, $110 at a pawn shop, I still can't hold a candle to Digado's DVDR collection though
Part of the reasoning (even though it's a 4 year old model) was if it ever needed major service I could get it going for $130, that theory may be bad now Anyway it works like a champ and was cleaner than any of my DVDRs must have been in a somewhat enclosed cabinet in a very clean house(mine are mostly in a glass open backed cabinet). The spindle was hardly dirty and I doubt it was ever serviced. My plan was to put in my friendly neighbors house that has cable. I figured I'd finally be able to get lossless copies from RAM discs burnt at his house(I currently have a ES-15 their which won't allow me lossless dubs to my EH-55). I was also hoping for TVGOS but unfortunately it's been over 24hrs and only no listings so far Maybe Comcrap isn't sending it out locally I'll give it a few more days before I give up. My OTA EH-55 hasn't got any updates since the analog shutoff so it's probably time to start thinking about the Pal
Currently I've got most of mine hooked up and working, I'm going to have to take some out of rotation or whatever Digado says. My remote table looks downright ridiculous there stacked 3 tall, no one else in the house has a clue, but that's what the Sony players are for
post #26 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My OTA EH-55 hasn't got any updates since the analog shutoff so it's probably time to start thinking about the Pal

No luck through late last night here with the Pal and the EH55.

(By the way, I just spent a ton on that new EH55 not long ago, remember? So don't feel bad.)
post #27 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 40
A few months ago I was in the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove. As mentioned in an earlier thread, I had a difficult time finding it because the big name on the front of the building was "Bigston Media Services". IIRC the Panny employee I spoke with said Bigston did repair work for several companies. Perhaps Bigston hired some of the Panny techs. If so, they may be able to repair the DVDRs.
post #28 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem is the parts and cost of those parts. $400+ for a DVD drive It's amazing Elk Grove could do it as long as they did, it sure couldn't have been a money maker.
post #29 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Ouch. This is disturbing news, indeed.

Here are a couple of other scenarios not yet mentioned:

1) I have a treasured EH75 with another year remaining on my extended warranty. Suppose I have to send it in and they are no longer repairing them, but replacing with an 'equivalent' model that doesn't have all the features that attracted me to my current unit? Then I'm not getting what I've already paid for -- repair of MY unit. Not a pleasant prospect.

2) I send in my EH75 and they replace it with some inferior refurbed P.O.S., then they later refurb MY unit and send it to some other lucky dog as a replacement for his machine. That would really suck.
post #30 of 494 Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

A few months ago I was in the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove. As mentioned in an earlier thread, I had a difficult time finding it because the big name on the front of the building was "Bigston Media Services". IIRC the Panny employee I spoke with said Bigston did repair work for several companies . . .

This post is being revised to incorporate updated information correcting earlier mis-information originating in another Forum.

The most recent information is that the $130 flat-rate repair continues to be offered at service center in Elgin Illinois. Panasonic will continue to refurbish machines in Mexico to supply the exchange procedure at McAllen Texas and sale of refurbished products through Panasonic authorized resellers.

That's why Panasonic asks for a brief description of a returned machine's problem(s).

With parts rotation/refurbishing perhaps vintage Panasonics may continue to be repaired for years to come.

Panasonic will contine to service hard drive models as most parts are common across the product line. The parts unique to hard drive models (apart from a generic hard drive) might be the main circuit board, laser assemblies and Digital PCBs.

I’ve attached three photos that might illustrate Digital PCB interchangeability between 2006 hard drive models and some non-hard drive models. (See Mickinct's 6/19/09 post [below] for clarification.)

The first photo shows two 2006 Digital PCBs. The upper Digital PCB is from an entry-level DMR-ES15 DVD recorder; the lower Digital PCB is from a DMR-ES35V combo recorder. On the DMR-ES35V Digital PCB the pen at the left indicates the HDMI ribbon cable connector; the pencil at the right indicates the hard drive ribbon cable connector. The DMR-ES15 Digital PCB does not have these ribbon cable connectors. Neither of these Panasonics have the hardware features associated with these ribbon cable connectors.

The second photo shows two DMR-ES35V Digital PCBs mounted on their platforms. The Digital PCB at the right has the HDMI and hard drive ribbon cable connectors; the Digital PCB at the left does not have the HDMI ribbon cable connector--it does have the hard drive ribbon cable connector but it is brown instead of black--I have no clue why. Again, there is no hard drive in DMR-ES35V models.

The third photo shows a 2006 DMR-ES46V Digital PCB, a Panasonic with HDMI but without a hard drive. The ribbon cable seen at the left edge of the photo connects to the HDMI PCB. The hard drive ribbon cable connector is seen just to the left of the DVI ribbon cable indicated by the pencil.

If good Digital PCBs from some of the more common models may be re-configured for use with some hard drive models then those hard drive models might continue to be rebuilt as long as functional Digital PCBs remain on hand.
LL
LL
LL

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page