Panasonic DMR-ES30V Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, i want to sat hello... in my search for a fix for my DVDR i was adviced to sign up here from another forum i was searching on.

i own a Panasonic DMR-ES30V, and a week or so again, it was really struggling to power up. if i kept unpluinging it, and plugging it back it, everynow and then, it would power up, but then it would only play for 10min or so before going off all together. i got a F09 code come up, and i lookied this up as being capacitors. i stripped my unit down, and found one 680 mf capacitor had burst. i changed this, hoping this would cure it.

since the fix, it powes up fine, and stays on, but i now have a new problem. the dvd comes on, plays etc, but after a while (the time varies from 2 min, to 15 min) the DVD stops, the unit says 'BYE' and goes into standby, or back to 'SELF CHECK'.

at this point, i must add that during repairing the capacitor, i did actually damage the ribbon cable that coonnects the DVD drive to the main board via the DTS/DD board... i couldn't get the DVD on at all at first, but i did think i had fixed this ribbon, by cutting the damaged part off and then stripping it back with a scalpul to reveal the copper inside. this got the dvd playing again, but this is where i faced the problem of it keep going into standby, with just the clock on the display.

does anyone know what could be caausing this? might there be another damaged capacitor that is forcing my unit to shut down to stand by? or coulld me damaging the ribbon be causing this? i could do with sourcing a new ribbon, just so i can rule out if it is that or not, am not sure where to find one, i have looked online, but not coming up with much. its a 40pin/strand ribbon with ''SUMITOMO-Y AWM 80C VW-1 -F-'' written on it...

any help would be greatfully recieved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamburzynski View Post

since the fix, it powes up fine, and stays on, but i now have a new problem. the dvd comes on, plays etc, but after a while (the time varies from 2 min, to 15 min) the DVD stops, the unit says 'BYE' and goes into standby, or back to 'SELF CHECK'.

at this point, i must add that during repairing the capacitor, i did actually damage the ribbon cable that coonnects the DVD drive to the main board via the DTS/DD board... i couldn't get the DVD on at all at first, but i did think i had fixed this ribbon, by cutting the damaged part off and then stripping it back with a scalpul to reveal the copper inside. this got the dvd playing again, but this is where i faced the problem of it keep going into standby, with just the clock on the display.

does anyone know what could be caausing this? might there be another damaged capacitor that is forcing my unit to shut down to stand by? or coulld me damaging the ribbon be causing this? i could do with sourcing a new ribbon, just so i can rule out if it is that or not, am not sure where to find one, i have looked online, but not coming up with much. its a 40pin/strand ribbon with ''SUMITOMO-Y AWM 80C VW-1 -F-'' written on it...

any help would be greatfully recieved

I own two DMR-ES30V (2005) models, one purchased new and the other refurbished by Panasonic. Both have served me well.

I also own four DMR-ES35V and four DMR-ES15 models (from the 2006 model year). As some of these 2006 models were purchased used, some with stated or unstated defects, I purchased two more DMR-ES35V models "as-is" for parts swapping to keep the others running.

So far I have replaced power supply capacitors in three DMR-ES15 models. These capacitors were special ordered through a local electronic parts store. The replacement capacitors are of the same specification as those used by Panasonic but are from different manufacturers. All three of those machines tested out OK after the capacitor replacement and two were put back into service, one for a month and the other for six months. Two of these ES15 models have recently experienced failures, perhaps related (or not related) to capacitor failure. The third was recently found to be "dead." I expect to more fully evaluate these ES15 models in the near future. Perhaps I may find that the replacement capacitors I used were of substandard quality.

Three of my DMR-ES35V combo recorders have been set aside for capacitor replacement for several months now. These particular models have had very heavy use, averaging more than 3,000 recording hours per machine while in my service.

I have also swapped out defective DVD drives (after first cleaning the hub/spindles to determine if these drives had experienced a failure due to dust or other residue). In one instance a still-good DVD drive in a ES35 parts machine had the DVD drive ribbon cable very tightly lodged in the controller circuit board receptacle. The force required to remove the ribbon cable damaged one of the ribbon cable's contacts. I evenly trimmed back the ribbon cable contact strip, as you did, to provide a uniform contact area and swapped that DVD drive into the other machine, an ES15. That repair was successful. The machine functioned for six and a half months (until 8/4/08) without a problem. That machine and the two others that have recently been found with problems, all ES15 models, have been set aside for further evaluation.

Since electronics is not my field perhaps I am merely reassuring you that the ribbon cable repair is probably not the problem with your DMR-ES30V.

I have observed that Panasonic's proprietary parts usually may not be swapped from one model year to another model year. If your DMR-ES30V's problem(s) are due to a failure of proprietary parts, perhaps the best advice I may give is to find a DMR-ES30V parts machine. If they may be found at all, they should be inexpensive. My ES35 parts machines were found on eBay.

Both DMR-ES35V parts machines I purchased were selected because their defects were of little or no concern to me. One had a bad tuner; the other had display and some other functionality problems. Both had good DVD drives, now residing in ES15 machines, and several other parts that have been swapped into other ES35 machines.

Another 2005 combo recorder, the DMR-ES40V, might appear to be similar to the DMR-ES30V but it may not use the same CPU (SOC) controller circuit board. All my 2006 models use the same CPU controller circuit board (VEP79132) but may need model-specific firmware if swapped to another model. That same situation may not be the case for the corresponding parts between a DMR-ES30V and a DMR-ES40V. (I own one DMR-ES40V combo recorder, a machine with many bugs and design flaws. I have never opened it's case. Since 12/05 it has seen little use as a recorder--355 recording hours since new. In the last year this machine has been the VHS/DVD player on the family TV.)

The DMR-ES30V is an outstanding combo recorder. I hope that you may resolve its problem(s) and return it to full functionality.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

yeah, i see what ur saying, and i dont personally think its the ribbon, am just at a bit of a loose end, as i have replced the only capacitor that was visibly damaged, and dont know what to try next... :s
post #4 of 5 Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamburzynski View Post

dont know what to try next...

Perhaps the incident with the ribbon cable also somewhat disturbed the CPU circuit board's connection to the chassis motherboard. Check that out.

I haven't had occasion to examine the CPU board in a DMR-ES30V. In the DMR-ES35V and DMR-ES15 models the CPU board has a fixed connector on its underside that fits the corresponding connector on the chassis motherboard.

If there is no connectivity problem I would speculate that there might be a failure of some component on the CPU circuit board. This may require swapping the CPU board with a known-good board. These boards are very expensive if purchased from Panasonic.

There is also the $130 flat-rate repair through the Panasonic Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14451738

I purchased both my DMR-ES35V parts machines in the $15-$18 range, including shippping, on eBay. Perhaps you might watch for a good DMR-ES30V parts machine.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 AM

Whilst watching any DVD the system stops after about 10 minutes. The Display panel goes blank and I lose the picture. However, I can still manipulate the VHS by using Play, FF or RW but without a picture. Anybody got any ideas what I should look at?

Thanks
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page