Advice on DVD Authoring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello friends!

I apologize if I'm slightly off-topic here... but I could certainly use some advice.

I use a 3-4 year old Samsung DVD recorder to record onto DVD-RW discs in DVD-V or DVD-VR format. I record programs or sporting events from cable or DirecTV and I sometimes want to archive them onto DVD-R to keep for future viewing.

I'd LOVE some good advice on DVD authoring software to make this job quick and easy for me. I already have the excellent VideoReDo Plus software which I purchased to help with this task. This software allows one to directly edit MPEG (or .VOB, etc.) files without first converting them to another format. I don't know how it works, but it does an excellent job! It also has some other useful features but does not include DVD authoring. I have an OEM version of an older Nero product, but not all of the features work with my burner because the software is an OEM version and came with a Sony burner (which is not what I have in my machine).

I'm willing to spend a little money (as little as possible, but enough to get the job done) to get something that will do what I want it to and will make it painless for me.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob
Lynn Haven, FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 225
TMPGEnc-Author will import the video as-is and offer editing and burning. If you want to go on the cheap, look for the older version, 1.6. But the newer version 3 is a lot more fun.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM

Another vote here for TMPGEnc DVD Author.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Since you are already familiar with VideoReDo Plus, you might want to try out VideoReDo TVSuite, which adds DVD authoring features. The cost to upgrade your existing Plus software to TVSuite is only $30 and trial versions are available before you commit to the upgrade.

Tony
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody know of any *Mac* programs that will allow editing of MPEG-2 video? (Downloaded from a Tivo, specifically.)
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Well Rob, why don`t you ask Neil Peart?
I allready know who you are.
You`re NOT welcome here.
SO, GET LOST!
Mr Telleria!
post #7 of 11 Old 09-17-2008, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just wanted to give thanks to you three that offered helpful comments. I'll definitely keep those in mind.

I especially appreciate the advice on "VideoReDo TV Suite" from Arciervo. I didn't know of such a thing and I like the idea of building on what I already have (VideoReDo Plus).

Since Rdgrimes and Semaphoric have high praise for "TMPGEnc DVD Author"... does anyone have any further advise or opinion to say one is better than the other?

Like I said, I'd love to keep what I have and simply add the features I need. But if TMPGEnc is better, easier, faster, etc... then I'd have to think long and hard about making the switch. From what I see during a brief look online, it looks like the main advantage to TMPGEnc is the ability to use more file formats (.avi, etc.) as source material. I believe VRDTVS only accepts various types of compressed video (.mpeg .vob, etc.). Although I previously mentioned that editing material recorded from TV to DVD is my main concern, I also want an easy way to edit and author these home movies from my MiniDV. So would that be reasons enough to go with TMPGEnc?

Thanks again all!
Rob

And to you panasonicman06... I don't know if your joke went over my head, but to me it just sounds like you must think I'm someone else. I, of course, understand the NP reference, but the rest completely loses me. Please let me in on the humor so I'll know you're not just some sort of misguided nincompoop!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor54 View Post

Since Rdgrimes and Semaphoric have high praise for "TMPGEnc DVD Author"... does anyone have any further advise or opinion to say one is better than the other?

I use TDA for just about all my editing and like/recommend it, although I have also had an interest in Video ReDo for the things it can do that TDA can't. TDA used to have a free trial download you could use to get a feel for the software. If they still offer that, you might want to try it out to see which one does the job best for you. I have found in the video world that no single tool does everything you want, so I have several that I use. Be wary of certain "kitchen sink" packages like Nero that purport to do everything but do nothing particularly well.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 11 Old 11-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor54 View Post

Hello friends!

I apologize if I'm slightly off-topic here... but I could certainly use some advice.

I use a 3-4 year old Samsung DVD recorder to record onto DVD-RW discs in DVD-V or DVD-VR format. I record programs or sporting events from cable or DirecTV and I sometimes want to archive them onto DVD-R to keep for future viewing.

I'd LOVE some good advice on DVD authoring software to make this job quick and easy for me. ....

I'm also looking for dvd editing software that is
1) inexpensive
2) works with dvd -rw VR disc source
3) removes commercials
4) can change set anamorphic flag, for 4:3 recordings that are really 16:9
5) combine multiple titles onto one disc, writes using dual layer discs
post #10 of 11 Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM

I'll add my two cents as being a big fan of TMPGEnc DVD Author Pro. Pegasys just put out an upgrade to version 3, now called "TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4", which adds a few bells and whistles. The best feature for me is a batch encoding tool that really comes in handy if you do a lot of authoring. It also offers Blu Ray authoring if that's something you would need.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-02-2008, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I tried a few programs & ended up with VideoReDo TV Suite. I wanted to edit commercials and thought it was the most intuitive & user friendly of the three I tried. It may not have some of the features of the other programs, but for editing TV programs I really liked it. Also its online forum is usually very responsive & frequently has VideoReDo people helping you.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page