Toshiba D-R560 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Element 32" (max resolution 1080i/720p) and I was thinking about getting an up-converting DVD player to try and utilize a little more of my TV's HD ability than I already am.

I'm not totally ready to buy a Blu-Ray player, and shovel out >$30 for a single movie, so that's out of the question.

I have 2 questions, one being obviously about the quality but secondly. If I plug my Xbox 360 (composite) AV cables into the composite input, will it allow me to simultaneously output that video through component and composite? Basically, will it allow me to plug component cables into my TV but composite cables into my capture card?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

If it helps, I'm not going to use the recorder as much, I just need the input/output it offers.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIT View Post

I have an Element 32" (max resolution 1080i/720p) and I was thinking about getting an up-converting DVD player to try and utilize a little more of my TV's HD ability than I already am.

I'm not totally ready to buy a Blu-Ray player, and shovel out >$30 for a single movie, so that's out of the question.

I have 2 questions, one being obviously about the quality but secondly. If I plug my Xbox 360 (composite) AV cables into the composite input, will it allow me to simultaneously output that video through component and composite? Basically, will it allow me to plug component cables into my TV but composite cables into my capture card?

Thanks in advance.

i'm confused-you have the tosh dvdr or want one or you want an upscaling dvd player?

i feel the same way about blu-ray discs high prices but i ended up getting a refurbed samsung bdp1400 blu-ray player for under $233, shipped from secondact.com.
it will upscale dvds and you can always rent blu-ray discs from netflix, or blockbuster, etd. pretty cheaply.

otherwise, check out oppo dvd players-ad at top of page. you can also call them about their refurb models.

i've had really good luck with refurbed gear.
it often has been returned to retailer cuz it's too complicated for original buyer to use, etc; checked to make sure it's ok, and because it cant be resold as new, they give it a good discount and it still has a warranty.
not a bad way to go.

dont know nuttin' 'bout no xbox.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Since you just want to convert, not record, how about the Apple TV Converter here.

Member Nextoo tested it and it does a good job in converting several signal types to others... he wanted it to convert a STB Component output to S-Video and retain the 16:9 WS aspect.

Might also be good to have if/when you do get involved in recording more?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the confusion, I don't have the Toshiba D-R560, that's the one I was thinking about getting.

I have like 1000 and some odd DVD's in my collection, so that's why I thought the up-converting DVD recorder would be best.

As for the Apple TV, I was looking at the Toshiba because it had inputs (not just outputs) for me to play and record (through capture card) my 360 at the same time.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I don't think you'll notice much difference with upconverting on a 32" screen who's native resolution is only 720. Whatever you get will upconvert to 1080p which has to get downconverted back to 720p (your tv accepts a 1080i signal, but has to downconvert to it's native resolution). I think you'll be disappointed. But if you still want one, the Toshiba upconverts well, but the 560 is overkill if you don't use the recorder. I had a $40 samsung upconverting player that did just as well.

Don't know about the xbox, but it's a very easy thing to try.

I'm with you on bluray. Still way too expensive.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-07-2008, 05:12 PM

I am going back & forth with Mag/Phillips and this Toshiba. Anyone with digital tv and this unit have any problems with quality or recording issues? Thank you.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Since you just want to convert, not record, how about the Apple TV Converter here.

Member Nextoo tested it and it does a good job in converting several signal types to others... he wanted it to convert a STB Component output to S-Video and retain the 16:9 WS aspect.

Might also be good to have if/when you do get involved in recording more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIT View Post

As for the Apple TV, I was looking at the Toshiba because it had inputs (not just outputs) for me to play and record (through capture card) my 360 at the same time.

For others who might be interested in the Apple TV Converter, it does have Component INPUT as well as S-Video and Composite OUTPUTS... ideal for preserving widescreen from STBs to DVDRs via S-Video output, and for game machines that output top quality only thru their Component output (downgrading anything via Composite)..

Y/Pb/Pr Component . . . . .S-Video & Composite
INPUT Here vvv . . . . . . . .OUTPUTS Here vvv

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page