Pioneer 550H DVR Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently, I acquired the Pioneer HDD/DVR - 550H and introduced it to my home theater system. Whoever wrote the manual needs to be reassigned to making coffee or some other job. Most of the directions make no sense to me. Simply put, it's very poorly written. (Combined with my lack of basic knowledge in this area, it was a case of pulling teeth from start to finish).

Anyway, I'm now down to one final mystery that I can't seem to resolve. I'm unable to figure out how to go about creating menus and chapters. I've managed to enter a disc title, but that doesn't get the job done. When I transfer a VHS tape to disc, the finished DVD begins playing immediately right at the start of the program rather than offering a menu with chapters.

Naturally, there are times when I want to start viewing somewhere further into the disc. The best I can do right now is hit the "next" button, and it jumps ahead by 10 minutes. If I'm not sure just where to find a particular chapter or sequence, it becomes a frustrating back-and-forth time-consuming adventure.

Can anyone who has some experience with this DVR model (or one that is comparable) give me a step-by-step guide on the miracle of menu and chapter creation? I need to restate that I am truly electronically challenged, so I ask that you make it easy to follow for not-too-smart people like me!

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and suggestions.

- WriterGuy1A -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Yes, most electronics manuals really are from hunger. The problem is you have the unit running at the default factory settings, in which it automatically adds chapter stops every ten minutes throughout a recording (to hard drive or DVD). You need to go into the Home Menu, select initial setup, and then look at the recording options. You'll want to turn auto chapter setting off, so you can make completely manual marks exactly where you want them. Once you change this setting, make a recording to the hard drive. When finished, go to the navigator screen, highlight the new recording, and hit the right arrow button on the remote to pop up an actions menu. Use the down arrow to select edit, then hit the enter button. A second menu appears with various editing options, select Chapter Edit to bring up a screen that will let you place chapter marks wherever you like. (Do not select Divide, a common mistake.) When you finish adding chapter marks, click the Return button to get out of that screen. If you then go back to the navigator screen, and the right arrow edit options, you will see buttons that bring up Title Name or Set Thumbnail screens which allow you to name the individual recording and select a thumbnail for it.

DVD recorders do not make very polished menus, and the menus do not auto-load when you put a finalized disc into a player. You press Play to begin playing the disc, or Top Menu to bring up the menu. Note also most DVD recorders cannot create elaborate submenus with direct random chapter access: all you can do is create a menu showing the overall recordings ("titles") on the disc. Only the Toshibas of three years ago could create full menus rivaling commercial authoring software: every other recorder creates random access to titles only, requiring presses of the chapter skip button to jump around within the title "blindly".
post #3 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
For some reason Pioneer Canada is playing games with the online availability of its manuals for the 560/660 models, which have replaced the 550/650 but are by and large the same. Now, when you go to these models on th Pioneer Canada site and click on Documents, the link to the Manual doesn't load anything.

But if you look at the URL, it ends with a .Protected extension, so I tried recopying that URL into the address bar of my browser and changing the .Protected extension to .PDF, and lo and behold it gets you the manual. Hurry up and download 'em for archiving, folks, before Pioneer Canada catches on and shuts down this workaround.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/Sta...ctions0311.pdf
post #4 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Can't say "thank you" enough to CitiBear for the nice and simple-to-follow instruction guide; unlike the Pioneer effort, what you wrote actually makes sense! Man, what a difference! I've yet to use your directions as of yet, but that will change come Monday. At least you've provided me with something I can follow from step to step. Again, many thanks!

I like your idea about gathering the necessary manuals from the Pioneer website while it's still possible, plplplpl. (Like the name ... Martian, right?)

In any event, I'll drop by with the results of how it all went once I give it a try. I suspect that it'll work out just fine.

With appreciation,

- WriterGuy1A -
post #5 of 26 Old 09-28-2008, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22

Martian? Martian? Whatever do you mean, Earthling?
post #6 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Citibear, I'm happy to report that your set of instructions were gold. 'Cept for one thing...

You wrote: Use the down arrow to select edit, then hit the enter button. A second menu appears with various editing options, select Chapter Edit to bring up a screen that will let you place chapter marks wherever you like. (Do not select Divide, a common mistake.)

When I called up that second screen, the options are:

1. Exit
2. Divide
3. Erase
4. Combine

If I'm not going to use Divide, which one do I want in order to follow through with the creation of my chosen chapter marks? Frankly, the onscreen one-sentence description of each option makes it seem (to me) that Divide is the one to use. Please don't forget, you're dealing with someone that is an electronics bozo.

Otherwise, the procedure has gone exactly as you suggested. I'm guardedly optimistic that once you set me straight on the menu and the proper option as noted above, the rest will follow without difficulty.

Thanks for your valuable input!

- WriterGuy -
post #7 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm ... in rereading Citibear's post, it looks like I was expecting to do something he indicates cannot be done with a DVR. That is, creating sub-chapters within a given title. Taking another glance at it pretty well resolves that part of my confusion.

Regarding the other part, it seems the only viable options on the menu listed above (#1 - 4) are Divide and Combine. I'll skip Divide and use Combine, and check out the result.

Scaling the Matterhorn was a breeze by comparison...

- WriterGuy -
post #8 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, when you enter a particular editing function screen (with the inset video), there are usually just a few options shown at the bottom of the screen. In the case of the chapter editing screen, your choices are "exit", "divide", "erase" and "combine". Whichever of these is highlighted will be the action performed when you hit the "enter" button on the remote. The default is "divide", which is a confusing term they should not have used: "add chapter mark" would have been more accurate and descriptive, although I suppose its true that adding a chapter mark "divides" the title.

The "combine" function is kind of an "undo": if you change your mind on the placement of a chapter mark you just "combine" it with the surrounding chapters and then you can "divide" again somewhere else. "Erase" is dangerous: this will permanently erase a particular chapter and its contents from point A to point B. Exit of course returns to normal viewing and clears whatever your last modification was, as long as you didn't confirm it with the enter button.

The other "erase section" and "divide" functions that appear on initial right-arrow of a title are more dangerous and will apply to the overall title, not the chapters. Dividing a title makes two or more titles that cannot be recombined afterward: be sure you want to do it. This is handy when recording a TV show marathon: let the hard drive run for up to six hours, then divide up the episodes at your convenience later. "Erase section" is the editing screen, where you remove commercials or unwanted bits. Here again, be sure of what you're doing because you can't restore erased pieces if you change your mind.

To make all this even MORE confusing, this whole set of editing functions (and a few more) can also be accessed in "copy list" mode. Instead of editing your videos directly, you are making a list of changes that the recorder follows when dubbing material from hard drive to DVD. The changes occur only in the copy- your original remains untouched, which is a great failsafe. Copy list mode also allows tricks like combining several titles into one larger title, which is impossible with the actual recordings. The machine will remember the copy list until you change it again, allowing multiple copies to be made on different media, etc.

Finally, beware Pioneers incredibly stupid "erase title" trap: it is VERY easy to mistakenly click the title erase button because its the very first option that appears: stupid, stupid interface design that Pioneer has stubbornly stuck with for three years now. When you're in a hurry or tired you might click on "erase" thinking its a way into the editing screen, but when you hit OK your recording is gone forever. Did I say this was a stupid design? Are you *listening*, Pioneer? Supposedly there is an "undo" function that will restore the title but I have never gotten it to work. Why on earth they would make the initial three options play, erase and edit is beyond me.

Sorry for the ramble- I have the flu and am spiking 104 degree fever right now. Answering your question is keeping me conscious until the Advil kicks in.
post #9 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

At this time, I'm considering a petition to be forwarded to Pioneer. For the sake of their customer's mental status, CitiBear needs to oversee the writing of any and all manuals henceforth produced by that company.

I'm pretty sure I get the gist of what you're driving at, my friend. However, please let me know if this interpretation is faulty: it seems that "Divide" is the function I want to be using to create index marks within a title. As you suggest, I'm not able to imitate a commercial disc in the sense of using a picture frame from a new chapter to indicate as much in a larger menu.

If I should manually insert index marks at my discretion within a title, that's the best I can do. (I believe it's also possible to bypass the manual insertion and instead go with the option to place an index mark every 10 or 15 minutes automatically). In which case, when I later seek a particular index (or chapter) on the finished DVD, it's a case of clicking Next or Previous to advance or reverse index mark by index mark. Whew.

My first test run went well, at least up to the question I posed about Divide/Combine. Within a day or two, I shall bravely venture forth by burning a disc and inserting index marks/chapters afterwards.

You have nothing to apologize for, CitiBear. I couldn't have made it this far without your guidance. Take care of yourself and get well quickly. 104 degrees is coming awfully close to the danger zone; please do whatever is necessary to get beyond the illness.

Lest these compassionate words come across as self-serving ... well, they are ... just a little. I'm forever baffled by these consarned modern machines and I need a dependable expert to provide me with occasional guidance!

Bah! This stuff is all too complicated! Cell phones? Who needs 'em? Give me a good ol' rotary phone. Now, THERE was a device that was simple and efficient (if a little heavy and useless outside of the home). Still, it beat the hell out of two Dixie cups and a string!

Many thanks one more time,

- WriterGuy -

P.S. Any truth to the assertion that a DVR-burned disc has an average lifespan of only one year? (Just heard this a week ago).
post #10 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Martian? Martian? Whatever do you mean, Earthling?

Well, I once learned long ago in my high school language course that Martians, more often than any other beings, possess names that consist of two letters repeated in sets of four. (BTW, Marvin was originally sxsxsxsx. It was changed to the more familiar moniker in order to make it Earth-friendly, given our limited pronunciation capabilities).

In any event, no offense intended, plplplpl. I have no bias against any sentient creature from any planet, regardless of where he, she or it originated. (Or how). I only wish others across the galaxy would adopt that stance. It would certainly help reduce the never-ending conflicts between Jupiter and Mercury.

- WriterGuy -
post #11 of 26 Old 09-29-2008, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think your confusion comes from the fact that there are TWO "divide" functions. The one that comes up in the first menu will divide one title into two, and can't be undone. But, if you select "Chapter Edit" from that same menu, you see the "exit-divide-erase-combine" list. The list on THAT menu, as Citibear says, divides the title into chapters, not separate titles.

I have a Pio 640, and I didn't find the manual that confusing, although it could use a good index, and some operations were partially discussed in different sections, instead of explained in one place. I read the manual 4 times, did some hi-liting, and made some notes on the contents pages. That helped a lot.

Until you are familiar with the unit, you might best do your editing in the copy list, so you can start over, if you make any mistakes.

Different people prefer different ways, but I start all my editing in "Chapter Edit." I put chapter marks at the beginning and ending of the program, and the commercials. I delete the stuff before the program begins. Then, I delete the commercials. Then, I delete what comes after the program.

I put a chapter mark at the frame I want to use for a thumbnail. If I want to divide the title into separate titles, I put a chapter mark at that point, then go back to the "Divide" function in the first menu. Doing it this way, I only have to scan through the recording once, and then have marks to jump to for title divide, and thumbnails.

If you really want thumbnails for each chapter, you will have to make each chapter a separate title. They will still play through.

BTW, if you think the Pio manual is complicated, you'll need to hire someone to help you if you buy a modern AV receiver. I've had my Denon 3805 for 3 years now, and have barely begun to explore/understand all its features!
post #12 of 26 Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I think your confusion comes from the fact that there are TWO "divide" functions. The one that comes up in the first menu will divide one title into two, and can't be undone. But, if you select "Chapter Edit" from that same menu, you see the "exit-divide-erase-combine" list. The list on THAT menu, as Citibear says, divides the title into chapters, not separate titles.

Thanks, kjbawc. Yes, this definitely helps sort it out for me.

Quote:

I have a Pio 640, and I didn't find the manual that confusing, although it could use a good index, and some operations were partially discussed in different sections, instead of explained in one place. I read the manual 4 times, did some hi-liting, and made some notes on the contents pages. That helped a lot..

What I find especially infuriating is that far too often, directions are given to make sure a certain setting in a particular sub-menu has been made. But in many instances, Pio doesn't get around to telling us where to locate that specific menu. At least once and maybe twice, I found a different term in the manual than what was used on the remote or a menu.

So, there's lots of hunting and searching, at least for this electronically challenged individual. And you're right, just when you think you've got the answer to a question, they taunt you by giving you a little information and then continue it elsewhere. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Quote:

Until you are familiar with the unit, you might best do your editing in the copy list, so you can start over, if you make any mistakes.

Haven't explored the copy list option yet, but I surely will.

Quote:

Different people prefer different ways, but I start all my editing in "Chapter Edit." I put chapter marks at the beginning and ending of the program, and the commercials. I delete the stuff before the program begins. Then, I delete the commercials. Then, I delete what comes after the program.

Makes a lot of sense to me. I'll do this next time around.

Quote:

I put a chapter mark at the frame I want to use for a thumbnail. If I want to divide the title into separate titles, I put a chapter mark at that point, then go back to the "Divide" function in the first menu. Doing it this way, I only have to scan through the recording once, and then have marks to jump to for title divide, and thumbnails.

This also strikes me as very sensible. Great stuff!

Quote:

BTW, if you think the Pio manual is complicated, you'll need to hire someone to help you if you buy a modern AV receiver. I've had my Denon 3805 for 3 years now, and have barely begun to explore/understand all its features!

Yeah, I can easily relate to this. Back in '00, I purchased my home theater unit. (Of course, by today's standards, it's an antiquity). It took a little while, but I got the hang of how to use most of the components. The one that remains a mystery to me (except for the absolute basics) is the AV receiver/amplifier. It's the Pioneer VSX-21, and I believe you require a higher degree in Engineering to comfortably use it.

Man, you'd think eight years later, when I was ready to purchase a DVR, I'd have learned my lesson about Pioneer.

Okay, if you (or anyone) doesn't mind me prattling on, I'm now making a disc recording from the HDD and not getting anything watchable. Point-by-point, here's what I did:

I recorded two different programs from two different tapes. They went from a VCR to the DVR's HDD. Success!

I edited the programs by using the DVR's menus as you and CitiBear recommended. Once again, success!

I then attempted to make a copy of both edited programs onto a rewritable disc on the DVR. Naturally, the source was the DVR's HDD. (If there's any doubt, the RW disc was properly initialized beforehand). BTW, is there some method to instruct the burner to do all of the listed titles and not just one at a time?

After finishing, I checked the disc, expecting to find the recorded material. Nope. Nothing. Tried it in my DVD Player and received a "No Disc" message. This was not a success.

I then went back over every menu I could find on the DVR and made a small change. (Can't remember what it was specifically called, but in one of the sub-menus, I indicated the disc was to be burned for use in any DVD player).

Then, I made a test recording, just copying five minutes from the first program onto the RW disc. This time, it played those five minutes on the DVR. (Leastwise, I think that's what it was). However, when I attempted to play the disc in my DVD Player, it came up once again with "No Disc."

Are we having fun yet? I guess my question is this: what is the proper method to record from the DVR's HDD to disc? I've had no problems recording from a VCR directly to the disc, but it's not happening from the HDD.

*hangs head* Anybody know the directions back to a simpler time, say the '50's? Then again, there's a good chance I'll mess those up, too.

All kidding aside, I appreciate what everybody here has done on my behalf. There's always the chance that someday this may wind up as a short story.

- WriterGuy -
post #13 of 26 Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, this is for my 640, from memory, as I am not at home.

Hit the "Home menu" button on the remote.

Click down to "Copy" in the menu.

Push "Select" (the center button)

HDD>DVD should come up, probably at the top of the menu. Highlight it, and hit "select."

You should then see a list of every title recorded on your HDD. Highlight and hit "select" on each one you want to record to disc.

After selecting the last one, arrow to the right.

The copy list will come up. If you want to edit in the copy list, highlight and hit "select" on the title you want to edit.

When you are done with that, or if you don't do that, arrow right.

You will get a menu that will let you title the disc, the first thing to do, if you want.

After that, if you don't want to record more on the disc later, select "finalize."

When that is done, and you have returned to the menu, move down and highlight "start copy." You will see the selection of title menus. Use the arrows to highlight the one you want to use, then hit "select."

Your copy will start, and assuming it is done at high speed, it will be about 10-14 minutes before it is complete, depending on how many titles, and total running time of the titles.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

I am proud to announce the arrival of my first completed DVR-burned disc. The instructions provided here, especially by kjbawc and CitiBear, were invaluable.

Only thing still not resolved for me is when I'm finalizing the disc. I was given a choice of various menu displays and colors, so I chose the design I felt was most appropriate. From there, I finalized the project.

I believe it was kjbawc who mentioned that it's still necessary to hit the Top Menu button to access the menu, because it doesn't auto-start when the disc is inserted in the player. Somehow, I'm still not finding it. Otherwise, all went well and your collective directions may have saved Pioneer from receiving a very angry letter.

A sincere thank you to each and every person who contributed ... even the Martian guy!
post #15 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterGuy1A View Post

(...)it's still necessary to hit the Top Menu button to access the menu, because it doesn't auto-start when the disc is inserted in the player. Somehow, I'm still not finding it.

It depends what hardware you're playing the finalized disc in. If its in the recorder, the MENU button on the Pio remote will bring up the disc menu after you hit the big DVD mode button (the "Navigator/Top Menu" button does nothing.) If you're using a typical DVD player or computer DVD reader, one of two options should pull the menu up once the disc is loaded: hitting the TOP MENU button, or pressing PLAY and then TOP MENU or MENU. More and more hardware lately is adopting the strange "no menu access until the disc starts playing" behavior towards finalized DVD-R discs, so I'd start there: get the disc playing, and then you'll be able to access the menu. I find this to be utterly ass-backwards functionality, but this reaction to recorder-produced menus seems to be the standard now (my older DVD players from 2001 or so work normally with finalized discs- go figure).
post #16 of 26 Old 10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If the 550 operates like a 640, and assuming you want a disc to "auto-play" when inserted, you can put a disc in the open tray, then press PLAY and it should close the tray and start playing. Not exactly "automatic" but a simple workaround?

In some machines, -R and +R discs operate differently when inserted, so trying both types might be "helpful."
post #17 of 26 Old 10-05-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If the 550 operates like a 640, and assuming you want a disc to "auto-play" when inserted, you can put a disc in the open tray, then press PLAY and it should close the tray and start playing. Not exactly "automatic" but a simple workaround?

In some machines, -R and +R discs operate differently when inserted, so trying both types might be "helpful."

Thanks for your reply, Wajo. Sometimes, I get a little ahead of myself and expect folks to know precisely what I'm thinking. Which is probably the case in my previous post.

What I wanted to do was prevent the DVR from starting a burned disc from the beginning of the program. My preference is to go to a menu, not the program itself. Since I originally made the statement, CitiBear has put me on the path to finding the source of the menu.

Thanks! I appreciate your input.

- WriterGuy -
post #18 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Concerning this same topic which began in September, I have a follow-up query. Since your collective effort to set me straight on how to go about using my Pioneer DVR, I've been merrily placing valued VCR tapes onto discs. I genuinely appreciate that you-all had the patience to help me get off the shneid.

And now, I've got some material that was recorded on my PVR. I've since transferred and edited it onto the HD of the DVR, with the intention of burning it to disc. 'Cept I can't figure out how to complete the task. To play the item from the DVR's HD, I need to have it set to HDD. But it doesn't want to record simultaneously.

I've tried resolving the issue by changing the settings on the DVR, but that seems to be a dead end. Am I up Fecal Matter Creek? Do I have to go back to square one and start all over? Or is playing something from the HD while also copying a disc an impossibility?

I await with hat in hand for your knowledge and expertise. I'm equally aware that I stand to receive a bunch of "whatta stoop" responses, too. As Archie Bunker used to say, "Que Seroo Seroo."

My thanks in advance, gentlemen.

= WriterGuy =
post #19 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM

Hi WriterGuy,

I'm pretty thick with a lot of this stuff, but I do know this answer. Press "Home Menu", the navigate to the right side to "Copy", press "Enter" and you'll find yourself at "HDD>DVD". Select the disc type, then mode, then highlight your program, navigate right to next, and follow your nose.

Cheers,
Glenn

B.C. Canada near the US border
post #20 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GseaQ View Post

Hi WriterGuy,

I'm pretty thick with a lot of this stuff, but I do know this answer. Press "Home Menu", the navigate to the right side to "Copy", press "Enter" and you'll find yourself at "HDD>DVD". Select the disc type, then mode, then highlight your program, navigate right to next, and follow your nose.

Cheers,
Glenn

Hi right back to you, my fellow B.C.'er...

I'm with you every step of the way except one. There's no way you can convince me you're "thick with a lot of this stuff." I'll be using your directions step-by-step once the Canucks finish off the Red Wings. After that, I'll be back with a report on how it all went.

I'm imbued with a confidence as a result of your explicit instructions. Thank you, Glenn.

Best,

= WriterGuy =
post #21 of 26 Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm amazed that you weren't using this procedure to make your VHS transfers. It's by far the easiest way.

Dub the tapes to the HDD first, edit off the beginning, and ending, parts you don't want, place chaptermarks where you want them, select a thumbnail, then burn to DVD. Play through the DVD at FF3, to seed if it will play, and looks good. If it doesn't, you can make another copy from your HDD.

You can start a VHS tape transferring, use the quick timer on the DVDR to have it turn off after the transfer is done, and leave the house, or go to bed, while the transfer continues without you.
post #22 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

I'm amazed that you weren't using this procedure to make your VHS transfers. It's by far the easiest way.

Dub the tapes to the HDD first, edit off the beginning, and ending, parts you don't want, place chaptermarks where you want them, select a thumbnail, then burn to DVD. Play through the DVD at FF3, to seed if it will play, and looks good. If it doesn't, you can make another copy from your HDD.

You can start a VHS tape transferring, use the quick timer on the DVDR to have it turn off after the transfer is done, and leave the house, or go to bed, while the transfer continues without you.

*choke* You know what? That's exactly what I'd been doing all along. After following Glenn's directions once through, I realized it was precisely the same procedure I'd been using to transfer tapes to disc. For some inexplicable reason, I took the new project as a completely different approach simply because one of the components involved (the PVR) was not the VCR.

I am officially changing my name to Senor Bobo.
post #23 of 26 Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

That's okay. Peter Sellars' The Bobo is one of my favorite films...
post #24 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 02:40 PM

Hi again WriterGuy1A,

I'm having trouble with my Pioneer 460 and, seeing you have a 550, I'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. What kind of TV do you have and does it display the proper 16:9 aspect ratio when routing a HD wide screen program through the 550? What I mean is will the HD widescreen program (screen filled with no black bars and not zoomed when viewing directly from the receiver) display in the correct 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars all around when it is routed through the 550?

Thanks,
Glenn

post #25 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GseaQ View Post

Hi again WriterGuy1A,

I'm having trouble with my Pioneer 460 and, seeing you have a 550, I'd like to ask you a few questions, if you don't mind. What kind of TV do you have and does it display the proper 16:9 aspect ratio when routing a HD wide screen program through the 550? What I mean is will the HD widescreen program (screen filled with no black bars and not zoomed when viewing directly from the receiver) display in the correct 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars all around when it is routed through the 550?

Thanks,
Glenn

Hiya, Glenn...

If you're experiencing problems with your Pioneer 460 and its ability to pass an HDMI widescreen signal, I've got it too. The video quality is not maintained at the 16:9 level; it looks more like a standard def signal squashed into the middle of the screen with large black bars at the top and bottom. The audio also needs to be boosted somewhat. If that's the extent of your difficulty, the 550 won't resolve it. Can't say anything about the 600 series.

My television is a recently purchased Samsung LCD 46" widescreen set, model LN46A530. It's groovy. (Did I actually WRITE that?)

Yeah, I don't think there's much recourse if you want to keep that really boss 16:9 HDMI look. *sigh* If there's an answer, I don't know of it. Perhaps some of the genuine experts around here will offer a suggestion we both can use.

With commiseration,

= WriterGuy =
post #26 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM

Hi WriterGuy,

You say you picture is squashed into the middle of the screen with bars at the top and bottom. Do you also have bars at the sides at the same time if the program is a regular HD 16:9 program (as opposed to a "cinema" screen - really wide)? Is your picture normal or are the people all short and fat?

Thanks,
Glenn

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page