Controlling a CM-7000 CECB w/Panasonic TVGOS DVDR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I just thought I'd post my findings on controlling my CM-7000 CECB with my Panasonic EH-55 TVGOS equipped DVDR. I'm no expert on TVGOS but I muddled through the manual(not a easy task) and received some assistance from fellow forum members. I would think this information would pertain to all Panny TVGOS DVDRs but I only have the EH-55 to test it with.
The one downfall to this setup is it's not possible to select a single digit sub-channel(example 5.2) other than the .1 sub. Double digit subs other than .1's are possible(example 11.2) and you can do a recording off a single digit sub other than the .1 but you'd have to do a manual TVGOS program, not a highlight and click type programming.

My setup: First have RF go from antenna to EH-55's RF in. Next take RF out and run to RF in of CECB. Finally take S-video and L&R audio of CECB and run into video input 3(must use 3). Also run IR blaster to front of CECB. Note always make sure CECB is on before a scheduled recording.

In TVGOS setup I had to select digital cable and OTA. The reason for digital cable is because just selecting OTA I did not get any digital OTA channels, only the analog ones. I also wanted to use the IR blaster and I believe that option is only available using both antenna and pay tv.
With the CM-7000 box I selected code 145 (Pioneer) for the type of STB. This enables the EH-55 to send the correct IR codes to change the channel on the CM-7000. Note if your local cable system does not carry all the OTA digital channels that you can receive OTA I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe try another local zip code or cable system?? I did not have this problem although 2 of my local digital channels were only analog on my local cable system. In this case I just used the cable analog channels for program listings. They have the same programming anyway.

This is the PIA part. After setup my TVGOS screen filled up with hundreds of cable channels. I manually deleted all the analog and digital channels that I can't get, which left me with about 20 digital channels that were in the 200's. Next in TVGOS I renumbered those channels to something similar to their OTA numbers. 2.1(or 240 cable) was just 2, 11.1 (or 245 cable) was just 11, 11.2 was 112, 17.2 was 172 etc. The problem with the analog TVGOS on the Pannys is it's not able to send out a . Luckily on the CM box just sending a 2 or 11 it will default to the .1 channel. Sending a 112 will produce 11.2 and a 172 will produce a 17.2 on the CM box. Note I've found no way to get say channel 5.2 without actually sending out a . A 52 goes to channel 52.1, 052 again goes to 52.1

So in my setup I'm able to do basically all my programming in the TVGOS grid which displays the digital channels lineups. I just click on the programs I want to program and TVGOS sends out the correct channel code 2 minutes before the program is about to start as well as a couple seconds before the event is about to start. Note for back to back events the 2 minute blast is skipped. Also note channel surfing on the Panny does not work very well. Each scan on the Panny requires a code to be sent out to the CM box. If you scan to the next channel before the OSD had disappeared off the CM(about 8 seconds) it gets screwed up and channel numbers overwrite each other. It's best to not channel surf using this setup.

I'm not sure how this whole thing is going to work after 2/09 but hope if I lose my TVGOS grid that a CECB like the DTVPal tied to the Pannys RF input and then a separate antenna cable going directly to my CM box will convert the digital TVGOS to the analog TVGOS that the EH-55 uses. From what I've read I have no interest in actually recording off the DTVPals composite output, I've gotten too accustomed to the great PQ from the CM box.
Of course if the DVRPal materializes and has good reviews I probably won't be doing too much timeshifting on my Pannys anymore and may just use them for burning DVDs from sources other than OTA.

I'm sure others (CB) might chuckle at the extremes that I had to go through to get the whole thing to work but hey after much trial and error I think I found a good workaround for my older TVGOS Panny.
Sure beats recording off analog TV. Basically all my recordings are off .1 HD channels and the picture is wide screen(when available) and very DVD like.

If anyone has a better setup or knows of a way to get those pesky single digit .2 channels please let me know. Since I don't record from them it's not a problem for me, but others may be interested.

Lastly if you don't care about the TVGOS grid and don't mind only being able to record from one channel without manually changing the CECB, then just tie the CECBs line output to any line input on the Panny. Then just do a manual TVGOS program and specify that line input. For me the big drawback of this method is you don't get your titles automatically titled and of course you must manually change the channel on your CECB(unless using converter box with manual timers like the Zinwell).
Sorry it got so long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Regular events work just fine but I have discovered a problem with Back to Back(B2B) events.
The problem arises because the way the Panny sends out the IR blast. During a regular event the Panny sends out a IR blast 2 minutes prior to the event. Then 2 minutes later it sends out another IR blast. This works fine.
During B2B events the Panny sends out the IR blast 10 seconds before the end of the first event, then it sends out the second IR blast 10 seconds later. Since the IR blasts are so close to each other the CM takes the numbers as one consecutive entry. That is if your second event was on channel 17 the CM would take the 2 entries as 1717 which would be a invalid channel and in this case the CM would stay on its current channel. This is OK if your B2B events are on the same channel, but doesn't work if the second event was on a different channel.

The workaround is to separate your 2 events by at LEAST 2 minutes. This way if the first event stopped 2 minutes early the Panny would send out a IR blast immediately, then 2 minutes later it would sent out the second IR blast. All would be OK in this case. If you only separate them by 1 minute it sends out both blasts close together and screws up the CM.

I know its a PIA but personally I rarely do B2B events, this is more a FYI for those that do. I'm not sure how other CECBs would handle numbers sent close together, but I know the CMs need at least 11 seconds between entries or it gets screwed up.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Kelson found that, if you leave the recorder on (the E85H in our case), it will fire OK in the situation of back-to-backs. Don't know if that'll work for every other recorder, though.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not on the EH-55, I thought I remember hearing that so I tried it. It made no difference for me.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's too bad. Oh, well.

I have an EH75V too, so I'll have to remember that.

Guess I could try my Sony RDR-HX900 too, but I just boxed it up and put it in the closet the other night to get it out of the way. Don't feel like pulling it out again. I'll do it when I really need it.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 464
The E-85 does not have the feature the EH-55/75 appears to have which allows the IR blaster to control a STB while downloading the analog TVGOS via antenna. So, when hooking up a CM-7000 to the E-85 you lose TVGOS functionality and have to program it manually, which means you are no worse than any current recorder with builtin ATSC tuner. The advantages are that the hookup and operation are simple and reliable, the recorded picture quality is excellent, and it is fully digital with no analog dependence so it will work the same after 2/17 without missing a beat.

I have my antenna lead going straight into the CM-7000; no antenna feeds into the E-85, it's not needed. The CM-7000's S-video and audio outputs feed into the E-85 line-3 input as per instructions for a cable STB. The E-85 feeds a 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma via component (progressive scan on). Both the CM-7000 and E-85 are set to output to a 16:9 aspect ratio display. The IR blaster is wedged under the CM-7000 right in front of the sensor. This raises the front of the CM-7000 a little which aids in cooling. I never turn the CM-7000 off; it's been on continuously for 2 months now and it is stone cold to the touch sitting on top of the E-85.

I turned on the E-85 and set it to L3 and set up the CM-7000 and did a channel scan to get all my digitals into the channel list. I then reset the E-85 by holding channel up & down until it turned off. Turned the E-85 on and started the setup process. Told the E-85 I had cable and told it I had a cable box. That brought me to the screen to select the box. I scrolled down to Pioneer and let it do it's thing for the first selection (code 6). After it finished I told it everything was fine and it exited. I then pushed the CM-7000 to the back edge of the E-85 where I can't see it and put it's remote away and haven't touched it since -- everything is controlled through the E-85.

My E-85 is only used as a recording device to time-shift. I never watch live TV through it so the following issues with channel surfing are not a concern to me. I only post them as informational. Using the channel up/dn on the E-85 remote doesn't change channels on the CM-7000. The E-85 doesn't have a channel list because there is no TVGOS signal to populate it so it scrolls every channel, one-by-one. There is no way to edit what is not there and I don't have an option for manual channel input. As it scrolls to each channel, it blasts the number to the CM-7000. However, if I key in a channel number on the E-85 remote, it takes about 10 sec and then it switches the channel on the CM-7000 -- so I do have control of the box. If I leave the E-85 off, it will continuously scroll through the CM-7000 channels and keep looking for an analog TVGOS signal which it will never find.

Programming the E-85 is strictly manual. I hit the button to go to the manual input screen and fill in the particulars of date, start-stop times and channel number. As detailed by jjeff above, I simply input the analog channel number (i.e. 3, 6, 10 etc.). When the timer fires and the E-85 blasts the channel number to the CM-7000, the CM-7000 assumes it's the primary channel and adds the ".1" automatically. I don't ever watch or record sub-channels so they are also not a concern for me. After the program is recorded, there is no title in the listing, just record time and channel. Title name has to be inserted manually. Again, all of this is no different from current devices.

The one fly in the ointment I discovered immediately is a random malfunction when recording from standby. When the unit comes out of standby to fire a timer, it doesn't always blast the channel properly to the CM-7000. This happens whether or not the recordings are back-to-back or spaced >5 min apart. The E-85 always returns to standby after a recording event. If 2 events are back-to-back, the E-85 goes into standby between the 2 events for a matter of seconds. In either case, coming out of standby results in erratic channel changing on the CM-7000. As jjeff suggests above, this may be a result of the E-85 sending out multiple signals coupled with the slow response of the CM-7000 to do something once triggered. The work-around is simple -- if the E-85 is left on, blasting the channel change to the CM-7000 is flawless and dependable. Since there is no longer the need to download TVGOS listings from standby, there is no problem leaving the E-85 on as long as needed. The HDD goes to sleep after 15 min of inactivity.

I combined the CM-7000 with my E-85 in early Sept a week before the start of the fall TV season. Since then I record 2-3 back-to-back programs on different channels every night, Sun-Fri. Recording reliability has been flawless, not a single missed recording or improper channel change. On top of that the PQ is truely excellent. The CM-7000 is, AFAIK, the only CECB with S-video output and is generally acknowledged as having the best PQ. In combination with the E-85, the recorded PQ as displayed on a 50" Panasonic 1080p plasma through component is so good I generally forget I'm not watching true HD. If on the other hand I switch from S-Video to feeding the E-85 via composite from the CM-7000, the recorded PQ is noticably SD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 11-16-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting write up and I may end up going the manual route similar to you after 2/09. For now I'm enjoying the TVGOS functions even if I'm quite late to the game.
To do my testing I programmed several events B2B on the same channels and on different channels, that's when I saw what was going on. That is the numbers were sent so close together that the CM took them as one set of continuous numbers. If the Panny would only send out a ENTER code their wouldn't be the problem, at least on the EH-55.
AFA the PQ I'm in total agreement with Kelson. I'm feeding a 46" 1080p Sony LCD and I'm very happy. It makes waiting for the DTVPal DVR (if they ever come out with a full featured one like initially proposed) bearable. Oh and AFA other CECBs w/S-video their is it least one, Apex DT250 available at BB. I tried one several months ago and the S-video PQ was equal to the CMs composite. That and the large amount of overscan made me return the box quite quickly. I think their is a newer Apex but I don't know if it's PQ.
I agree the CM and older ES Pannys are a very good match. Even with their quirks I'd say they were still less quirky than the EZ Pannys
Oh and so far I've NEVER got the CP problem of not being able to copy off my HDD to DVD like many newer DVDRs seem to be having. I record mostly prime time off of CBS, ABC and one NBC show. I don't know if anyone in my area is having this problem though.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM

Liked: 10
If I'm not mistaken you can tell the Panny to send an "Enter" key output during the initial setup. It asks (at least for Directv setup) how you change channels on the box and you select the one with enter in it.

It may not work that way for Pioneer cable box codes though, but it might be worth a look.

Another way to avoid all of this is to have three seperate tuners (I know, it could be a little expensive) connected to the three inputs on the panny and tune each to a different channel. Then you just program the recorder for the input connected to the channel you want to record. Of course then you are stuck with only three channels. With the government coupons for two tuners it helps the cost a little. If I can't get a decent work around using a DTVPal or other box I may go this route.

There is a third option, and that is to get a universal "learning" remote with timers built in so it can be programmed to change the channels on the box, and you program the panny to record the single input at the same time. I did this for years with an old 5' satellite dish and Radio Shack remote in the late 80s and early 90s using several VCRs. Timeshifting is so much easier now with a hard drive DVD recorder. A few years ago Sony had one for around $100 that did this, I don't know what they have out now but I'm sure there is something out there that will work.

Good luck.

Mike.

Everything should be in HD.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Interesting write up and I may end up going the manual route similar to you after 2/09. For now I'm enjoying the TVGOS functions even if I'm quite late to the game.

If you feel like experimenting, it would be interesting if you redid your setup to function completely manual OTA like the E-85. Then see if the manual scheduling now works reliably on the EH55 as it does on the E-85. You are going to end up there in three months time anyway so why not find out in advance if it will work.

As you note, the excellent PQ of the CM-7000 on S-Video makes it painless to wait post 2/17 for the DTVPal DVR Plus and true HD recording.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I believe the only way I have the option of using the IR blaster is if I set the EH-55 up for either cable or Direct(or Dish, one or the other). Just having it setup for OTA doesn't seem to allow me to make use of the IR blaster.
Originally before I got the blaster working I was just doing manual recordings in TVGOS with 2 CM-7000s. One hooked up to line input 1 and one to line input 2. Then when scheduling I specified which line input to record from, each CM was on a different channel.
The IR blaster is definitely handier to use that's for sure.
Are you saying you've set your E-85 up for OTA only and you can still use the IR blaster? I must admit the manual is VERY confusing on the whole matter
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, we have to have them set up for cable, in order to control an external box.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are you saying you've set your E-85 up for OTA only and you can still use the IR blaster? I must admit the manual is VERY confusing on the whole matter

As Ramm says, pick for cable. That way the EH55 will think the IR blaster is controlling a cable box and will scan the channels on the box looking for a TVGOS signal and not try to download one OTA for the sat box. Only in our case, the "box" is the CM-7000 and, unless the EH55 understands a digital TVGOS signal, it will never find one.

- kelson h

Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the posts. I bought two of these, so good info here for future use.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good luck Bron, it's quite complicated getting it all setup/programmed but once you do the TVGOS feature should work just fine. Again the only 2 issues I've found is you cannot use TVGOS to tune to single digit sub channels other than the main .1 ones and the noted problem with back to back events on different channels. Luckily I've never had an issue with either one other than during testing so I'm going to leave well enough alone
Old 11-20-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

jjeff - do you still have a Zenith CECB? You could always try that with the EH55 come February, because it's supposed to work with that model's IR blaster. I think it uses a satellite code, and you have to set it up for Direct (and OTA now for the info).
Old 11-20-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do still have the Zenith but I really hate to use it because of the inferior PQ. Don't get me wrong I like most everything else about the Zenith but using composite video it just doesn't have the punch recording from my CMs do.
If I had any back to back events on different channels I think I'd probably just tie one of my other CMs to Line input 2 on my EH-55 and then just setup a manual event to record from that input.
My Zenith is just feeding a ES-30 that I hardly ever use.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 PM

TVGOS is available now through analog by the E-85 but will it be available after the digital switchover?

I'm a little behind on "knowledge" on how to use an E-85 with a convertor box next year. Do you connect the antenna to the convertor box, then to the E-85. With the E-85 set to L1, L2, or L3, the convertor box's event timer turns on the E-85 and sets the E-85 to record mode? This is my initial thought.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post

TVGOS is available now through analog by the E-85 but will it be available after the digital switchover?

I'm a little behind on "knowledge" on how to use an E-85 with a convertor box next year. Do you connect the antenna to the convertor box, then to the E-85. With the E-85 set to L1, L2, or L3, the convertor box's event timer turns on the E-85 and sets the E-85 to record mode? This is my initial thought.

Try reading post #6 above.

- kelson h

Old 11-22-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good luck Bron, it's quite complicated getting it all setup/programmed but once you do the TVGOS feature should work just fine. Again the only 2 issues I've found is you cannot use TVGOS to tune to single digit sub channels other than the main .1 ones and the noted problem with back to back events on different channels. Luckily I've never had an issue with either one other than during testing so I'm going to leave well enough alone

Thanks! Your thread will certainly be a help.

George
Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It should work fine now but I don't think it will work in the same fashion after the analog shutdown.
I'm not sure if I specifically mentioned it before but it seems one does need a source of analog TVGOS for the whole thing to work. I use an antenna hooked to the RF input of the EH-55. My TVGOS crashed last night so I'm doing some testing. I disconnected the RF input to the EH-55 and lost my TVGOS program grid (actually it hasn't populated). I had hoped the CM-7000 would somehow supply the digital TVGOS signal from my local CBS station, but so far I have not gotten it to work. I'll update if I find a solution.
Here's where I started posting about my TVGOS crash.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1087479
I believe the DTVPal is supposed to do just that but I don't think anyone has got it to work as of yet.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For anyone just reading this thread and not the other one that I posted my results with my EH-55 using the manual method described in post #6 by Kelson, here's a link to that post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15151159
My EH-55 worked just fine controlling the IR blaster using manual TVGOS, with no TVGOS signal. That is without the TVGOS programming grid that I was using before.
Unlike Kelson's E-85 I still had to have 2 minutes separating back to back events on different channels. Otherwise the CM-7000 got confused by 2 blasts quite close to each other.
The manual method will work even after the OTA analog shutoff. People on cable may still be able to use the fully automatic TVGOS grid assuming their cable system continues to provide analog TVGOS.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure if this would work or not but I was thinking if the Pal CECB passed the analog TVGOS over it's RF out one could use that feeding the DVDRs RF input only for the converted TVGOS, but actually record from the DVDRs line input from the CM-7000. The Pal would be left on constantly tuned to CBS digital(where digital TVGOS comes from) and the CM would have it's channels changed via the DVDRs RF blaster.
I would think if the DVDR saw TVGOS through it's tuner on channel 3 it would stop looking other places. Of course this would all hinge on if anyone could actually get the Pal to do the conversion, which I understand no one has done yet
It sure would be easier if Echostar got it's act together and produced a CECB with S-video that actually had a picture worth recording and got the TVGOS conversion working as advertised.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 PM

I've been reading this forum on and off for years now... you guys have all been super helpful, so thanks! But after this recent debacle my husband is ready to divorce me for 1) continually keeping our A/V setup in useless mode while we wait "just 24 more hours" while I test some new setup to see if it'll work and 2) spending all my free time scouring these threads trying to find the magic solution. So, to save my marriage, I'm finally just going to ask for help ("my first post")...

For the past few years we've had an HD-ready 32" LCD with the Samsung HTB-260F STB for rabbit ears/OTA and a Panasonic EH75. I eventually gave up on trying to make the EH75 control the STB (using the IR-blaster, which had been the dream) and so we watched TV in HD but recorded in crappy quality rabbit ear analog using the TVGOS. That's been the setup for the past few years.

But with the digital transition coming, it got me thinking about our setup: Would we lose TVGOS? Would an amplified antenna improve our digital signals (we were never able to get CBS-2, Chicago and NBC-5 and ABC-7 were still sometimes spotty)? And would any of the CECB's work with the EH-75 IR-blaster for seamless (post-transition, static-free, if not HD) TVGOS controlled recordings (remember the dream?)?

And so based on this thread and others, here's where we are now:
I got us an amplified indoor antenna (Wineguard) and the Channel Master 7000 CECB (with S-video cable) last month, and felt reassured by Magic 8 Ball et al that we somehow wouldn't in fact lose TVGOS (version 9.something) after the now extended transition date.

I setup the new antenna (which still isn't picking up CBS-2.... digital listings carrier?) coax going into the EH-75 (to make sure I'd get my TVGOS info in there?) and then straight out to the CM-7000 and then back to the EH75 with S-video (and then component from the EH-75 to the TV).

With this setup the EH-75 seems basically to be able to control the CM-7000 using the IR-blaster (Pioneer Cable Box Code 145) as described, but... the setup I used: OTA and CM-7000 as Cable Box (Input 3) seems to have lost me my listings. I want to tell the EH75 to use the RF (OTA) for TVGOS data, as we did before (with the Samsunf STB), but now it offers me RF Channel 2,3 or 4 or IN3 and then gives me an error "no input available on RF" if I choose RF and won't let me complete setup unless I select IN3 (which seems to make me lose my listings). And if I only select Cable Box (and not also OTA) I also seem to lose the listings.

I've now got the antenna coax heading into my Samsung STB first (like I used to), then into the EH-75 RF and out to the CM-7000, but same deal... it won't let me choose RF for TVGOS source and IN3 seems to not get me the listings. Choosing OTA only gets me the listings, but then I can't control the CM-7000 with the IR-blaster! What am I doing wrong here? I was willing to downgrade from the Samsung's quality HD to SD with the CM-7000 if I could now record in decent quality SD straight from the TVGOS, but the dream always eludes me!!!

BTW, TVGOS diagnostics is showing host as 11 (analog 11, I assume, local PBS) not CBS, which in it's current state/location/power we're not picking up even with the amplified antenna (which I think I understood might change in Chicago post transition, no?).

[A related question is, I have never seen any of the subchannels in my listings? Do I not get/see them because I'm getting the analog TVGOS data and not the digital data? Obviously the CM-7000 gets them, and I think I can get the EH-75 to tune them on the CM-7000, but I need to get those subchannels in the grid somehow to have the listings (or is there some other digital channel number I should be looking for rather than a subchannel format)? How are those of you doing it doing it?]

At this point I have admittedly completely befuddled myself (not to mention I've created a complete rats' nest behind the TV). Any help would be most appreciated!
- Lee
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdante View Post

Would we lose TVGOS? And would any of the CECB's work with the EH-75 IR-blaster?

The only CECB that is supposed to convert the digital TVGOS(only broadcast on digital channels) to analog TVGOS(broadcast only on analog channels that will go away in June) would be the DTVPal CECB. The CM-7000 which works great and makes fine recordings will not do the conversion and if you stick with your CM-7000 you will have to resort to manual TVGOS recordings

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdante View Post

A related question is, I have never seen any of the subchannels in my listings? Do I not get/see them because I'm getting the analog TVGOS data and not the digital data? Obviously the CM-7000 gets them, and I think I can get the EH-75 to tune them on the CM-7000, but I need to get those subchannels in the grid somehow to have the listings (or is there some other digital channel number I should be looking for rather than a subchannel format)? How are those of you doing it doing it?]

- Lee

For now the only way I know of to get the digital channels to show up in the grid is to select digital cable and OTA. You'll then get a grid full of hundreds of channels(most of ones you can't get, like HBO, ESPN etc.). You'll want to look for your local digital channels somewhere in the list and renumber them to something that makes sense. In my case OTA 11.1 was actually listed as cable channel 242(or something like that). I renumbered 242 to 111. When my EH-55 sent out 111 it was read by the CM-7000 as 11.1 and went to the correct channel.
Note at this point I wouldn't really suggest going through all the work of trying to get your CM-7000 to work with your EH-75 if you really want to ultimately keep your TVGOS grid working. After the analog shutoff you will be limited to only manual TVGOS recordings and you won't get the guide.
If you really want the TVGOS grid your only option for OTA will be a DTVPal CECB.
I don't have one and haven't ever played with one but I've read of at least one person who claims to have successfully gotten his Pal to convert the digital TVGOS to analog TVGOS for his analog DVDR.
I'll try and find a link to his post and post it here.
Welcome to the forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post15924398
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15877902
Nice Master thread for TVGOS
Old 04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The only CECB that is supposed to convert the digital TVGOS(only broadcast on digital channels) to analog TVGOS(broadcast only on analog channels that will go away in June) would be the DTVPal CECB.

This one is supposed to, also, but I don't know who's selling it:

http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/products/t3aprt.htm
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Too bad it didn't have S-video, I think I'd probably rather try my luck with Echostar, at least they're based out of the US. Not that anything is actually made here but at least their offices are US based. I hadn't heard of the Artec box though.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, the lesser of two evils, I guess. Although we don't know what the Artec's PQ is like - if it's good, that might sway me, aassuming I got it cheap enough with a coupon. But then, I've already got a Pal.

If you've got two coupons you could always try both.

I still have a chance to exchange my F105 Pal for an F106 Pal Plus - but I can't seem to get a good answer out of anyone in the Plus thread if it's actually, noticably better or not, and even worth it. Just one person said "yeah, it's a little bit better", but their answer was sort of conflicting (holds onto distant stations a bit better, but closer ones not as well). If it's more sensitive, I'd definitely exchange it, though.

I still have a replacement coupon to use. (Really, at this point, I should be more worried about and concentrating more on whether to buy the DTV Pal DVR or the TiVoHD, and putting my money towards one of those instead. Doesn't sound like too many people are having much success with that "update" for the Sony DVR. And that Pal DVR update doesn't exactly instill much confidence in me, either. It's still getting reports of freezes and reboots, and also dead-upon-arrival units. Probably should just write that thing off for good. The $148.00 TiVoHD at Sears isn't going to last long, and I only have a month and a half 'till the cutoff, so I have to decide something.)
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TiVo is calling you . . .

Why do you continue to starve that Pioneer plasma . . .

- kelson h

Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Agreed, the Tivo is so smooth and problem free I wouldn't think of anything else. Besides with the Pal you really don't have many good archiving options. With the Tivo you can either use S-video like I've done (and I get even slightly better PQ than the CM-7000) or you can do the better option which I haven't tried yet, which is tying the Tivo to your PC and burning SD or even HD DVDs.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

TiVo is calling you . . .

Why do you continue to starve that Pioneer plasma . . .

? I've never been starving it. I've had a Sony DHG-HDD500 for the last few years, don't you remember? (And the Pio does have an internal, HD tuner.)

I was just waiting to see if it would work for sure or not after the analog cutoff, because it relies on getting it's guide and clock data from the TVGOS signal.

(You can't set a manual timer without a clock signal, because there's no manual clock setting. That's the one, major boneheaded thing in it's design. At least the LG 3410A owners have that to fall back on.)