Swapping Panasonic DVD Drives, Compatibility Considerations - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 103 Old 08-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
Dvdr1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. Due to substantial demands upon my time I've been unable to visit and participate in this Forum as often as I wish.
Your HDD/DVD Recorder is a DMR-EH50, not a DMR-E50.
1. The laser has most likely failed or no longer performs at an acceptible level.
2. & 3. The VXY1872 DVD Drive is specifically designed for the DMR-EH50. For repair information send a private message to mickinct.
4. No. The self test will not complete without a functional DVD Drive in place.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions (and it is a EH, not sure how I omitted that). As mike noted, the unit's on its way to him as we speak.
Dvdr1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 103 Old 12-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Newbie
 
SiggiTheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there. I also have a new inquiry if that's OK.

I have a 2008 DMR-EX88EB (UK Model) that now fails on the Self-Check process (instigated from the U61 code). I've managed to find the right Service Manual on the Internet and according to the Service Mode 'Error History' check, the corresponding explanation is 'Defect of Digital PCB or Communication Error'. Under Service Mode, there is also a 'RAM Drive Last Error' check that can be queried. This check brings up the error 'Bad disc or drive malfunction'.

Do you think that the RAM drive error is a result of the PCB error in the Error History Check? In other words, can I safely presume that the problem lies with the Digital PCB rather than the RAM drive?

After being inspired by your various posts about repairing various Panasonics by changing either the RAM drive or the Digital PCB, I was hoping to be able to rescue this machine by exchanging the faulty part rather than following the standard Panasonic statement of replacing both the RAM drive and the Digital PCB simultaneously. However, I'm still a little confused about the significance of the number of ribbon connectors between the RAM Drive and the Digital PCB. This machine has four - does that mean the Digital PCB automatically holds the alignment data of the RAM Drive? And would trying to source a compatible (and functional) Digital PCB be the first port of call in my quest for success?

Incidentally, the RAM/DVD Drive model is VXY2008 (this seems to be different from any other model I've read about in this forum) and the Digital PCB is a VEP 79184.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.
SiggiTheCat is offline  
post #93 of 103 Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggiTheCat View Post

Hi there. I also have a new inquiry if that's OK.

I have a 2008 DMR-EX88EB (UK Model) that now fails on the Self-Check process (instigated from the U61 code). I've managed to find the right Service Manual on the Internet and according to the Service Mode 'Error History' check, the corresponding explanation is 'Defect of Digital PCB or Communication Error'. Under Service Mode, there is also a 'RAM Drive Last Error' check that can be queried. This check brings up the error 'Bad disc or drive malfunction'.

Do you think that the RAM drive error is a result of the PCB error in the Error History Check? In other words, can I safely presume that the problem lies with the Digital PCB rather than the RAM drive?

After being inspired by your various posts about repairing various Panasonics by changing either the RAM drive or the Digital PCB, I was hoping to be able to rescue this machine by exchanging the faulty part rather than following the standard Panasonic statement of replacing both the RAM drive and the Digital PCB simultaneously. However, I'm still a little confused about the significance of the number of ribbon connectors between the RAM Drive and the Digital PCB. This machine has four - does that mean the Digital PCB automatically holds the alignment data of the RAM Drive? And would trying to source a compatible (and functional) Digital PCB be the first port of call in my quest for success?

Incidentally, the RAM/DVD Drive model is VXY2008 (this seems to be different from any other model I've read about in this forum) and the Digital PCB is a VEP 79184.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My experience is limited to North American models.

From your description I'm assuming that your circa 2008 EX88 has a DVD RAM Drive and Digital PCB pairing similar to that of 2006 model year North American models.

The 2006 North American models are unique in that the RAM Drive controller and configuration/alignment data functionality are incorporated into the Digital PCB. According to Panasonic this design requires replacement of both components whenever there is a failure of either component. In practice this is not always so.

Other model years have a RAM Drive controller PCB mounted on the underside of the Drive itself with a single ribbon cable to the external Digital PCB. The Digital PCBs for different models/model groups might share the same VEP number but have been factory configured for a specific model (or models) and might not be compatible with other models of the same model year. I've addressed these matters in this and other threads in this Forum.

In other threads I've addressed a variety of conditions that return the U61, U88 and U99 error codes. These range from problems related to ribbon cable alignment or damaged ribbon cable contacts/contact strips, a failing or failed laser assembly (the "optical pick-up"), failing or failed capacitors (usually those on the power supply pcb), mechanical parts misalignment, misalignments between front panel pcbs and chassis motherboards, problematic drive controller boards or PCBs, problematic front panel mini-switches, to inferior media or use of "+" media.

The following post describes RAM Drive ribbon cable arrangement and connections of 2006 North American models:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60#post_18167365

Routine RAM Drive servicing is addressed in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #94 of 103 Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Newbie
 
SiggiTheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello DigaDo

Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - work has been really hectic and I've had little time to make any progress! That said, since I last wrote I've cleaned the DVD Drive hub/laser as described in the linked posts and checked the ribbon connections (they seem fine), but I still get the same problem with the self-check procedure not completing. Therefore, without dismantling the DVD Drive (which I'm reticent to do in case I can't put it all back together again), it seems the next step is to try my luck with getting hold of replacement parts or a parts machine.

I still find it amazing that - generally speaking - companies like Panasonic produce so many model variations within a relatively short space of time. Is it really the case that certain model ranges are sold only in specific regions, or do you think the same models are sold in other parts of the world but with different model numbers?
SiggiTheCat is offline  
post #95 of 103 Old 12-16-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggiTheCat View Post

Hello DigaDo

Thanks for your thoughts. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - work has been really hectic and I've had little time to make any progress! That said, since I last wrote I've cleaned the DVD Drive hub/laser as described in the linked posts and checked the ribbon connections (they seem fine), but I still get the same problem with the self-check procedure not completing. Therefore, without dismantling the DVD Drive (which I'm reticent to do in case I can't put it all back together again), it seems the next step is to try my luck with getting hold of replacement parts or a parts machine.

I still find it amazing that - generally speaking - companies like Panasonic produce so many model variations within a relatively short space of time. Is it really the case that certain model ranges are sold only in specific regions, or do you think the same models are sold in other parts of the world but with different model numbers?

Failure of the self-check is most often the result of a failing or failed laser assembly that can not read a disc or even determine if a disc is present (U61 and U88 errors). As mentioned earlier the nature of sounds made by the DVD Drive as it spins up will help narrow down the problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

If the DVD Drive does not spin up then power supply capacitor(s) might be the problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055111/whither-the-capacitors-in-panasonic-recorders/0_60

If the capacitors test out up to specification the problem might be with the DVD controller PCB or the Digital PCB if the DVD Drive controller is incorporated into that PCB. Part(s) replacement(s) is/are indicated. When parts such as controller PCBs or Digital PCBs need replacement they must be replaced only with like models, like model years and the specific variant for which they were designed (see last paragraph below). As examples a 2006 North American DMR-ES15 DVD Recorder Digital PCB can not be swapped into a 2006 North American DMR-ES35 VHS/DVD Recorder; but a 2006 North American DMR-ES45 or DMR-ES46 VHS/DVD Recorder Digital PCB can be swapped into a 2006 North American DMR-ES35 VHS/DVD Recorder.

I've addressed DVD Drive tear down, realignment and reassembly in other posts in this thread or in other posts in other threads. Some examples include:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_15745506

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60#post_16480525

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1082922/swapping-panasonic-dvd-drives-compatibility-considerations/0_60#post_18167365

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1007613/official-panasonic-dmr-ez28k-thread/480_60#post_16832715

As to similarity between Panasonic models one must realize that Panasonic's regional products differ primarily due to the many tuner technologies in use throughout the world. The operating systems and hardware need to be customized and configured to support these various technologies. And some countries have legal restrictions or governmental regulation of some technologies. Some design elements or features are unique to various countries. Sometimes similar model numbers are used in several countries but the products are sometimes quite different. An example is the North American variant of the 2006 DMR-ES35V combo recorder, a model sold in the US and Canada. The UK variant is the DMR-ES35VEB with a different tuner and SCART inputs and outputs. A DMR-ES35 for the middle east is another variant. A DMR-ES35 for Australia and New Zealand is another variant.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #96 of 103 Old 02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tomwil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

Saw this eBay auction, where the seller is offering Panasonic NOS DVD drives for the 2004 and 2005 year models for $90, minus the digital board.



LL

Appears the eBay seller has these in stock again, at a reduced price of $80.
Quote:
NOS Brand new, genuine Matsushita/Panasonic DVD drive mechanisms. Complete with new laser/sled/spindle traverse assembly & entire tray mechanism. No digital board is included, you simply swap the digital board over from your old drive. These are compatible with the following OEM DVD drives: VXY1794, VXY1813, VXY1814, VXY1855, VXY1867 & VXY1872.

Compatible models: DMR-E55, DMR-E65, DMR-E75, DMR-E85, DMR-E95, DMR-EH50, DMR-ES10, DMR-ES20, DMR-ES30, DMR-ES40 & more.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
tomwil is offline  
post #97 of 103 Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 PM
Member
 
dieselrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Denver , Co
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a DMR-E80H that I have used almost daily since new in 2003. About two months ago I was dubbing off of the hard drive onto a DVD-R. It worked flawlessly on the dub but when I turned it back on to finalize the disc it would not read the disc. I took it apart cleaned the spindle & laser still no read. I was able to get it to read a CD in audio & CDV/CDSV but still no DVD read.????

I have a couple of questions, why can it read the CDs but not DVDs????

What can I get a replacement DVD drive for? Where can I find a replacement drive?? I am experienced and trained in electronics repair so swapping drives is not a problem for me. I have been reading for weeks and am guessing that is all that is wrong with it........

I am reading that these things last a lot longer if they are only used for recording. I have rarely used my -E80H for playback, I have two other older second generation -E20s DVD recorders that I have used as playback devices for years without issue. So I am guessing this lengthened my HDD recorders lifespan. I really want to fix this thing but don't want to spend a lot of money.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
dieselrat is offline  
post #98 of 103 Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Member
 
mickinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

I have a DMR-E80H that I have used almost daily since new in 2003. About two months ago I was dubbing off of the hard drive onto a DVD-R. It worked flawlessly on the dub but when I turned it back on to finalize the disc it would not read the disc. I took it apart cleaned the spindle & laser still no read. I was able to get it to read a CD in audio & CDV/CDSV but still no DVD read.????

I have a couple of questions, why can it read the CDs but not DVDs????


What can I get a replacement DVD drive for? Where can I find a replacement drive?? I am experienced and trained in electronics repair so swapping drives is not a problem for me. I have been reading for weeks and am guessing that is all that is wrong with it........

I am reading that these things last a lot longer if they are only used for recording. I have rarely used my -E80H for playback, I have two other older second generation -E20s DVD recorders that I have used as playback devices for years without issue. So I am guessing this lengthened my HDD recorders lifespan. I really want to fix this thing but don't want to spend a lot of money.
THE reason why it reads cd and not DVD is the laser wavelenght 780nm for cds and 682nm for dvds, the laser has duel power, as for replacement parts I stock these parts for repairs.

MickinCT
mickinct is offline  
post #99 of 103 Old 09-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Newbie
 
eck182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic dmr-eh75v. It plays and records dvd's normally, but when I try to finalize, it makes buzzing and clunking noises and says finalizing failed. I can record from the hard drive to dvd-r's and finalize them on my dmr-e80h, but I have several dvd+r discs that need finalized. Will replacing the drive solve this problem and if so, where can I find one? The seller tomwil specified no longer has them.
eck182 is offline  
post #100 of 103 Old 09-21-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eck182 View Post

I have a Panasonic dmr-eh75v. It plays and records dvd's normally, but when I try to finalize, it makes buzzing and clunking noises and says finalizing failed. I can record from the hard drive to dvd-r's and finalize them on my dmr-e80h, but I have several dvd+r discs that need finalized. Will replacing the drive solve this problem and if so, where can I find one? The seller tomwil specified no longer has them.

See the advice in this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

The black plastic encased DVD Drives pictured in Tomwil's post are from the 2004 and 2005 model years and are not compatible with your 2006 model year DMR-EH75. (Don't confuse the 2004 DMR-E75 with the 2006 DMR-EH75.)

Your DMR-EH75 uses the VXY1945 DVD Drive. See the first post in the present thread where compatibility of Panasonic DVD Drives is addressed in more detail.

Here is a photo showing the VXY1945 DVD Drive in one of my DMR-EH75 Recorders:

eck182 likes this.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #101 of 103 Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tomwil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

I have a DMR-E80H that I have used almost daily since new in 2003. About two months ago I was dubbing off of the hard drive onto a DVD-R. It worked flawlessly on the dub but when I turned it back on to finalize the disc it would not read the disc ... I am experienced and trained in electronics repair so swapping drives is not a problem for me. I really want to fix this thing but don't want to spend a lot of money.

This post might help, although I have not tried it myself yet:
Quote:
I have seen so many posts on this series DMR-E50# machine regarding the recovering issue on DVD-R discs I decided to dig one out of the grave yard and solve it. A failed 330uf 6.3V SMD capacitor on the REP3496 LASER drive sister board was at fault, it is not a dead capacitor but has lost value and has a high ESR. There is no location number for it on this board. It is mounted on the underside of the board and is the only one of its size and type. It is the largest single cap on the board and is near the rearmost screw hole directly under the board identification ink stamp. It can be replaced with any type of good quality capacitor, as there is lots of room and it has no special attributes.
The machine now sucessfully records all 3 of the discs it had previously refused to.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
tomwil is offline  
post #102 of 103 Old 04-06-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Several of my posts in this thread have been revised to include advice to send a Private Message to mickinct for information concerning repair of Panasonic recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is offline  
post #103 of 103 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Newbie
 
jl809's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Compatibility

Had a DMR-EX87 with a failed optical drive, (VXY1976). I noticed an eBay auction for a used VXY2051 from a DMR-EX769EBK, checked the ribbon cable interfaces in the service manuals and found them to be identical and the drive also looked to be identical to the original so, as it was not expensive, I thought I would give it a try. Took about half an hour to change drives and now full function restored, DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD RAM discs all work fine with compatibility problems in another machine.
jl809 is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off