What is a DVD recorder *without* a tuner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want a dvd recorder that is really inexpensive. I found a sylvania ZC320SL8 DVD Recorder for 49.99, but its listed as being "without tuner". What does that mean exactly?

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-ZC320.../dp/B000OH37QI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by primordialmeme View Post

I want a dvd recorder that is really inexpensive. I found a sylvania ZC320SL8 DVD Recorder for 49.99, but its listed as being "without tuner". What does that mean exactly?

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-ZC320.../dp/B000OH37QI

A DVD recorder "without tuner" has no "threaded" RF input or output. A DVD recorder "without tuner" can not tune in and record analog or digital channels on its own. Another tuning device, a cable converter, satellite receiver or a Coupon Eligible Converter Box (for antenna reception) must be connected to the "line in" on a DVD recorder "without tuner" to provide a tuning source. A VCR may also be connected to the DVD recorder's "line in" in order to copy videotaped recordings to DVD. If your TV is older, having only a threaded RF input, a DVD recorder "without tuner" will be of no use unless it is interconnected with a VCR or a modulator that provides the threaded RF output to the TV.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Short version-

"Without tuner" means the machine can't tune TV stations on its own.

It literally has "no tuner".

You'd need something else that DOES tune TV channels to feed picture and sound into the recorder so there's something FOR the recorder to record.

Digital OverTheAir box, cheapo digital OTA converter box, cable box, satellite receiver, etc. (Even an old VCR with an analog tuner, or playing old VHS tapes you're converting to DVD.)
post #4 of 6 Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Depending on the situation a tuner may or may not be needed. I have a DVD recorder with a tuner and have used the tuner exactly one time in over three years.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-29-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I have an HDTV with a built in ATSC, NTSC and QAM tuner. Will that work? Ive got every type of input possible on my hdtv. How would i hook up it to this thing though? Would I need to buy an S-video cable?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Your TV will need an output, if you are to record from it to a DVDR. Yes, the S-Vid out would be the best to use, since that is the highest level input your DVDR will have. But, note that you will be recording exactly what you see on the screen, so you can't change the channel while recording, without affecting the recording.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)