Direct TV dvr to dvd recorder?? Is it possible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-03-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HD direct tv dvr and want to get stuff off that onto DVD - can i do that and what type of DVD recorder would i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Any recorder will work fine (check out the reviews and "official" threads in this forum). Keep in mind they will all record what you playback from the DVR in real time, and it will be in SD, not HD. But high quality SD recordings of HD sources still look very good. I've been archiving stuff from my HR2x over S-video to my Panasonic DVD recorder for a couple of years now.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

do you have your DVD recorder hooked up in between your tv and dvr or does it go tv, dvr, dvd recorder?
post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I guess it's the latter. Keep your TV/DVR setup as is. Just add S-video/audio out from the DVR to the DVD recorder, and HDMI out from the DVD recorder to your TV (or receiver or switch). DVD recorders don't have HDMI IN, if that's what you were thinking.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I guess it's the latter. Keep your TV/DVR setup as is. Just add S-video/audio out from the DVR to the DVD recorder, and HDMI out from the DVD recorder to your TV (or receiver or switch). DVD recorders don't have HDMI IN, if that's what you were thinking.

is here any DVD recorder which has component input? I have panasonic dvd recorder about 3 years old and it has S-video input. when I record SD program from my DVR and replay it on my opo player the quality is not good. I think it is the S-video input which is degrading the quality. Is there some one who can suggest some thing else to get a better recording.
Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh Varshney View Post

is here any DVD recorder which has component input? I have panasonic dvd recorder about 3 years old and it has S-video input. when I record SD program from my DVR and replay it on my opo player the quality is not good. I think it is the S-video input which is degrading the quality. Is there some one who can suggest some thing else to get a better recording.
Thanks

Polaroid 2001 has component in, but no longer made.

I have svideo in to my phillips 3575 and quality is fine, so maybe it is your setup. I did have a panny and was not happy with its recording quality compared with the polo, even though it came highly recommended.

I am very happy with the phillips. Record HD (in SD of course) from my directv dvr with good quality.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh Varshney View Post

Thanks

What record quality are you using? I have used XP, SP, and LP all very successfully. I have been told by people who have borrowed my disks that the quality is comparable to purchased DVDs. If you are using EP6 or EP8, that that is most likely your problem. I would stay away from LP quality unless you know in advance that there won't be much fast movement.

You say you are recording with a Panasonic, and playing on an "opo" player. How do they look when played back on the Panasonic?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Also if you're recording from a poorer SD source that may have something to do with it. DVDs I've recorded from a good DVD or a WS HD source(downconverted to SD) look as Luke said, like a commercial DVD. Try and not go over 3hrs/disc for programs with much movement. LP will tend to look like a macroblocking mess and even station bugs will have a mosquito effect.
Note if your source is a 16:9 postage stamp and you're using zoom on your TV that will also drastically reduce your PQ.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

What record quality are you using? I have used XP, SP, and LP all very successfully. I have been told by people who have borrowed my disks that the quality is comparable to purchased DVDs. If you are using EP6 or EP8, that that is most likely your problem. I would stay away from LP quality unless you know in advance that there won't be much fast movement.

You say you are recording with a Panasonic, and playing on an "opo" player. How do they look when played back on the Panasonic?

thank you for your response. Sorry I was out and did not get to computer for a while so could not read responses. Anyway, it is the same down graded quality on when I play on panasonic DMR-ES20.
By The way I am recording on LP speed as my movies are more than 2 hours long.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Also if you're recording from a poorer SD source that may have something to do with it. DVDs I've recorded from a good DVD or a WS HD source(downconverted to SD) look as Luke said, like a commercial DVD. Try and not go over 3hrs/disc for programs with much movement. LP will tend to look like a macroblocking mess and even station bugs will have a mosquito effect.
Note if your source is a 16:9 postage stamp and you're using zoom on your TV that will also drastically reduce your PQ.

Thanks for your response.Sorry I was out and did not get to my computer for more than a week. Anyway, my recordings are in LP as all my movies I record are more than 2 hours. Typically they are 2:30 hours.
As you suspected the source is my Dish network DVR. when I play it directly from PVR it liiks good but when I play though panasonic DVD recorder (without recording), the quality is degraded. That is why I suspect that the S-video connection is the source of degradation.
Any recommendation?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-18-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
They do sell a "component" to S-video adapter but I think it's a little spendy, a little north of $100, but it does have the "advantage" of removing any CP so you'd be able to back up any of your commercial DVDs.
Component outputs(if your STB has them) are probably always full screen and using that along with FR set to 2:30 (instead of the preset speed of LP) should give you much better picture.
There is a thread in this forum talking about the AppleTV S-video converter. The website that sells this devices somehow has Svideo in it's name.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page