VHS/DVD player to HDTV, HDMI or analog connection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the 47LG70 hdtv. A co-worker gave me a JVC VHS/DVD recorder combo (but no cables). Before I buy cables, a few questions, please.

The VHS/DVD recorder has HDMI, composite, component, and S-video connections. I believe if this were a DVD recorder only, then only the HDMI connection would be used between the player & hdtv.

But if I want to watch or record from VHS tapes, would I need connections besides the HDMI? For example, would I also need component or S-video connections, along with the HDMI?

I wonder if the VHS/DVD recorder converts the analog VHS signals to digital, then sends it as a digital signal to the tv via the HDMI connection...

...just thinking out loud. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I know the Panasonic combos will output VHS over HDMI but I'm not familiar with JVCs. I would think on the back of the unit it would say what signal is outputted over what output. If it says DVD only on the HDMI and component outputs then you'd probably need to use S-video or composite for the VHS side.
If you buy your cables from Monoprice.com they're so inexpensive(and good too) that I'd personally get a HDMI, component w/audio (5 cables tied together) and S-video. I'd guess for 6 footers the whole bill won't be much over $10 + shipping.
If you didn't want extra cables lying around I'm sure the manual would also tell what outputs the VHS goes over.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If you buy your cables from Monoprice.com they're so inexpensive(and good too) that I'd personally get a HDMI, component w/audio (5 cables tied together) and S-video. I'd guess for 6 footers the whole bill won't be much over $10 + shipping.

Just piggy-backing on this from jjeff: if you just bought your TV and you are going to order a cable, now is the time to order all the cable you will ever need to cover all the inputs on your HDTV. Few components come with HDMI or component cables and usually supply low-grade composite cables and/or a piece of coax.

When I got my Panasonic plasma over the summer, I made one big order to mono-price for all the HDMI, component, S-Video and optical cables I would ever need. The cables really are inexpensive, but the shipping is not so it is far better to get them all in a single lot.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)