Unsupported Disc: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DVR-EMS30v, got it in '05. It suddenly won't read one disc, displays "Unsupported" in the front window. The disc has a couple of movies (recorded from VHS) and some TV programs recorded onto it. Some of the recording was done in the summer of '08, the movies were just recorded onto it a couple of months ago. Now that the disc is full, it shows it's "Unsupported". I can't play it, can't use the Direct Navigator button to see what's on it (I only know what's on it from my notes). The disc is a Magnovox +R, as are about 75% of the other discs I've recorded on, all of which read and play just fine. I saw the other thread in this forum talking about "Unsupported" discs, checked for disc slippage (no scratch marks on the disc), but don't really understand everything else people are talking about in that thread. I e-mailed Panasonic via their Web site several days ago, but haven't heard from them. Can someone tell me what I can do to view the shows and movies on this DVD? I'm sorry, but I may not necessarily understand any real high-tech talk, so I have to ask that you explain in layman's terms. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Will it play in another player or pc drive? Did you finalize it after making the final recording?

We've been having terrible blank media issues for the last couple of years, and I'm afraid Magnavox isn't a brand that's high on the quality list. It may be that the disc may have gone bad.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I would try redoing it on a PC as a disk copy if your pc will read it still. I've salvaged a few bad disks by just redoing to a fresh better quality blank this way.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Churchill View Post

I have a Panasonic DVR-EMS30v, got it in '05. It suddenly won't read one disc, displays "Unsupported" in the front window. The disc has a couple of movies (recorded from VHS) and some TV programs recorded onto it. Some of the recording was done in the summer of '08, the movies were just recorded onto it a couple of months ago. Now that the disc is full, it shows it's "Unsupported". I can't play it, can't use the Direct Navigator button to see what's on it (I only know what's on it from my notes). The disc is a Magnovox +R, as are about 75% of the other discs I've recorded on, all of which read and play just fine. I saw the other thread in this forum talking about "Unsupported" discs, checked for disc slippage (no scratch marks on the disc), but don't really understand everything else people are talking about in that thread. I e-mailed Panasonic via their Web site several days ago, but haven't heard from them. Can someone tell me what I can do to view the shows and movies on this DVD? I'm sorry, but I may not necessarily understand any real high-tech talk, so I have to ask that you explain in layman's terms. Thank you!

The "unsupported" message usually identifies a failed disc or an unfinalized disc recorded on another brand. The usual disc error is "no read." If the "unsupported" disc is a DVD+RW the "unsupported" message is correct, the 2005 DMR-ES30V does not support that format. Sometimes a DVD+RW may be recorded on a DMR-ES30V but there will be loud sqealing during the recording. That is a clue to a serious problem. Do not use DVD+RW discs in a DMR-ES30V.

Beginning with the 2006 models all formats are "supported." As many Panasonic users have found, Panasonics are "friendlier" toward DVD-R formats than DVD+R formats. It's best to stick with a "friendlier" format than taking chances with "less friendly" formats.

When reading, writing and finalizing errors occur there may also be "grinding" or "scrubbing" noises. The most likely problem is dust, debris or oily residue adhering to the DVD Drive's rubber hub allowing the disc to slip as the spindle rotates during those operations.

My practice has been to clean the rubber hubs on my two DMR-ES30V models every eight to ten months. One of these machines has accumulated more than 4,300 recording hours, the other around 3,000 recording hours.

With a DMR-ES30V the cleaning procedure takes perhaps thirty minutes. Disconnect the power cord and remove the case lid (seven screws). The front panel will need to be removed to provide enough access to open the DVD Drive lid. Remove the central anchoring screw at the front panel's top center. Be careful not to drop the front panel anchor screw or the DVD Drive lid screws into the machine. There are clips (some of these are delicate) at the top, sides and bottom that need to be loosened to allow removal of the front panel. Remove the four screws in the DVD Drive lid. With a cotton swab and some isopropyl rubbing alcohol clean the rubber hub that sits atop the spindle. Remove dust from the disc tray. Position the roller/slider mechanism at the rear of the disc tray to the far left and secure the DVD Drive lid. When fitting the front panel back to the case lid be sure to hold the VHS door open to correctly align the VHS door lifting mechanism. That's it.

This post and those that follow it have much more detail, a link to the procedure itself, and photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

This post has cleaning procedure photos showing one of my DMR-ES30V models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15045566

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The 2005 Panasonics date from a period when Panasonic was still a little flakey recording on anything but DVD-RAM discs. Those models can just about manage DVD-R but don't like DVD+R much at all. Thats problem one. Problem two, its a bad bad BAD idea to let a "-" or "+" disc sit for months between recordings: while it sits "unfinalized" it is prone to all sorts of minor degradation that can be just enough to make it "unsupported" right after the next use. (Its also not the greatest idea to push disc capacity to the wall using slow speeds and filling it with a couple movies AND some TV shows: DVDs are not like VHS, the "six hour" DVD speed is risky and should be avoided, stick to four hours/LP max.) Problem three, Magnavox media is fairly low quality which tends to exaggerate the effects of problems one and two.

Going forward, if you are in the habit of adding things to discs at long intervals, use DVD-RAM media, which is specifically designed for this type of use, and is the media preferred by the DMR-ES30v. When you want to make a disc thats playable in any player, use DVD-R, but don't keep the disc "open-ended" for more than a couple weeks. DVD-R should be filled up and "finalized" asap after first use. Try to find Verbatim brand DVD-R at a superstore near you, it is much better than Magnavox and doesn't cost that much more during weekend sales.

There are a couple things you can try to fix your "unsupported" disc. The first thing I would do is take it to a Best Buy or other Panasonic dealer and beg a salesperson to try and finalize it on a current display-model Panasonic: the newer machine may have more fault tolerance, and be able to read the disc well enough to finalize it. Finalizing cleans up a lot of loose ends on the DVD and makes it readable in other hardware besides Panasonic recorders. Once finalized, you should be able to easily make a backup copy using any computer. If you have ALREADY finalized the disc, the errors will be more difficult or perhaps impossible to fix. You would need to give the DVD to someone very computer-literate and ask them to try and strip the recordings off it and recreate them in the computer using a new blank DVD. This requires a couple of specialized software programs, the person may need to download them.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If the disc is readable in a computer drive you could just image its contents to a new one, no editing needed. And please stick to discs manufactured properly, like Verbatim (Mitsubishi) or Taiyo Yuden. I've had bad discs that made drives go out of adjustment trying to read them.

The manufacturer of a disc can be checked on a PC, with the Nero DiscSpeed (free) util available at cdspeed2000.com . Check discs of various brands you have, you'll quickly find out what do you have to buy in the future. FYI, discs made by CMC Magnetics are the worst and you should stay away from them at all costs. I have a CD-RW that would spin madly in my Lite-On DVD writer while it was trying to erase the disc, and it took over 5 minutes of it till it completed (a quick erase should take less than a minute), and then the drive wouldn't read the disc at all. It took a full erase in an older CD-only writer to make the disc usable, and i still don't trust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post

If the disc is readable in a computer drive you could just image its contents to a new one, no editing needed.

Maybe if she had already finalized the disc, and its a simple matter of the DMR-ES30 being cranky and not reading it because its +R. In that case, if a computer drive can read it she can just make a direct copy to a -R blank, as you suggest. But it sounds like the disc is not finalized, because she speaks of it failing after adding more stuff to it. Reading Panasonic unfinalized discs in a computer and stripping their contents is not that easy, and she would still need authoring software to make the ripped videos playable on an ordinary DVD player. Just making a straight copy might also copy whatever glitch is preventing her Panny from playing it. If her problem disc is an unfinalized +r or +R/W, I still think the best way to repair it would be to let a newer Panasonic model have a go at finalizing it?

I totally agree, blank media made by CMC is the pits. But there's no need for her to check the mfr on any media she buys: at this point ALL blank media is made by CMC, except perhaps Memorex (Ritek) and Sony (Daxon). Even our precious Verbatim is now made by CMC (despite what the info readout says), and depending which batch you get it may or may not burn well in older recorders. CMC-Verbatim is better than CMC-anything else, but it ain't foolproof. Anyone with a pre-2006 recorder really needs to go online and buy the Japanese-made Taiyo Yuden (TY) 8x Premium DVD-R media, its the only media sold that still uses the dye formula older recorders were designed for. Buying TY online is not as convenient as going to a local store, and it costs $32/100 delivered as opposed to $25/100 store brands, but its worth the trouble for peace of mind and guaranteed successful burns on old hardware.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page