What DVD players (if any) will input Component (RCA) and output through HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Note: I am not asking for copy-protection circumvention (at least not on purpose!)

I am designing a classroom 2.0 prototype for our school. A limited number of teachers will be using our Library check out system for VCRs for older content. My overarching goal would be to have the VCR piggy back into the DVD player or receiver and have the signal converted to use the standard HDMI output that we are standardizing for the projectors.

The receiver I have found is the Onkyo TX-SR606 which says that it supports "Analog To HDMI UpConversion". This unit is $379 at Amazon.

I'm not finding any DVD players that explicitly state that they support the analog to HDMI upconversion. I was thinking of a dvd player with analog line-in jacks (sometimes in the front) that would output to HDMI. Come to think of it, a DVD recorder would obviously have line-in jacks, but I'm concerned about copy protection making our purchased VHS tapes unplayable even though we are not looking to record them to DVD. Has anyone with a DVD recorder experienced or heard of success with playing a copy protected VHS tape on a VCR using component to the DVD recorder and then HDMI from the recorder to the TV or receiver with recording turned off/disabled on the DVD recorder?

Since this is a teaching station with a Mac mini thrown into the mix, I am also looking into USB video capture devices that would connect the VCR through the Mac mini, but I am not thrilled with this option!

Any ideas would be WONDERFUL!!

Thanks,

Michael
____________________________________________________________ __
Originally posted here: ht tp://www.avsforum .com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16070820# (I am a newbie, so they won't let me post actual URLs. )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipolo View Post

I am designing a classroom 2.0 prototype for our school. A limited number of teachers will be using our Library check out system for VCRs for older content. My overarching goal would be to have the VCR piggy back into the DVD player or receiver and have the signal converted to use the standard HDMI output that we are standardizing for the projectors.

The receiver I have found is the Onkyo TX-SR606 which says that it supports "Analog To HDMI UpConversion". This unit is $379 at Amazon.

I'm not finding any DVD players that explicitly state that they support the analog to HDMI upconversion. I was thinking of a dvd player with analog line-in jacks (sometimes in the front) that would output to HDMI. Come to think of it, a DVD recorder would obviously have line-in jacks, but I'm concerned about copy protection making our purchased VHS tapes unplayable even though we are not looking to record them to DVD. Has anyone with a DVD recorder experienced or heard of success with playing a copy protected VHS tape on a VCR using component to the DVD recorder and then HDMI from the recorder to the TV or receiver with recording turned off/disabled on the DVD recorder?

Since this is a teaching station with a Mac mini thrown into the mix, I am also looking into USB video capture devices that would connect the VCR through the Mac mini, but I am not thrilled with this option!

Any ideas would be WONDERFUL!!

Thanks,

Michael
____________________________________________________________ __
Originally posted here: ht tp://www.avsforum .com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=16070820# (I am a newbie, so they won't let me post actual URLs. )

Any DVD recorder combined with a "video cleaner" should do this chore. Finding either is getting more difficult though.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmalhotra View Post

they are not going to look any better

Thanks for the quick response vmalhotra! I am not concerned too much on "improving" the quality of the video for the professor as much as I am concerned about having to run composite to every projector on campus just to accommodate old technology. I am hoping for some workaround that adds no more than $100 to existing costs and gets the VCR composite/analog signal to use the HDMI cable we are standardizing on for every classroom projector.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick response vmalhotra! I am not concerned too much on "improving" the quality of the video for the professor as much as I am concerned about having to run composite to every projector on campus just to accommodate old technology. I am hoping for some workaround that adds no more than $100 to existing costs and gets the VCR composite/analog signal to use the HDMI cable we are standardizing on for every classroom projector.

Are you sure that you will be using commercial tapes with Macrovision? Just the device to strip the Macrovision is going to cost that much. Also, you need rights for presentation to a group instead of private use.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

Just the device to strip the Macrovision is going to cost that much.

I don't necessarily want to strip Macrovision. Actually, I will run a composite cable before I try to circumvent Macrovision out of respect for their copyright wishes (no matter how frustrating and useless they might be). I am hoping there might be a dvd recorder out there that will pass through composite video to the HDMI out of the dvd recorder that doesn't freak out if I am passing through copy protected content without using the record function of the DVD recorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc1 View Post

Also, you need rights for presentation to a group instead of private use.

We have full presentation rights for every extremely expensive VHS tape. Long term goals include transferring licenses for existing/new content to digital streaming, but that is still at least 2 years away (in a perfect world )

Thanks for your ideas!!

Michael
post #6 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've decided to go with a dedicated scaler. I'm still not sure if macrovision/DRM related protection on certain of our legally owned and licensed VHS tapes will restrict travel through scaler. Will post findings. Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

Michael

http://sewelldirect.com/composite-to-hdmi.asp
post #7 of 7 Old 03-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I don't necessarily want to strip Macrovision. Actually, I will run a composite cable before I try to circumvent Macrovision out of respect for their copyright wishes (no matter how frustrating and useless they might be). I am hoping there might be a dvd recorder out there that will pass through composite video to the HDMI out of the dvd recorder that doesn't freak out if I am passing through copy protected content without using the record function of the DVD recorder.

Michael

A Panasonic EH55 will output HDMI from its own hdd recording, from composite input, and from s-video input. I would certainly urge the s-video input, based on tests from both.

I cannot speak to the copy-protection issue, since my tests were run from live camcorder (Sony VX2100).

The EH55 has been available on eBay in the area of $400, used.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page