thoughts on a Panasonic DMR-ES25? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I might have the opportunity to buy an DMR-ES25 locally for about $100. Looking about at previous posting I see that many people like this unit for its PQ. But I am not to sure I want it because it doesn't have a digital tuner or, from what I can see, an IR blaster (..is this true?). And so time recordings of OTA broadcasts will be cumbersome. Also, I have never purchased electronics like this. This is used equipment, not a refurb. Anything I can do to ensure the unit isn't trash should I decide to pursue a purchase? I appreciate your thoughts.

_Lazza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 105
The ES-25 is a fine DVDR. I have one I purchased new a few years back for $180. It's very similar to the ES-15 but adds HDMI upconversion, otherwise it's basically identical.
The ES-15, 25, 45 and 46 were all excellent analog recorders. They make great dubbing machines or you can feed them with a digital converter box. They could also record analog cable but analog just doesn't show there great recording ability. They're all '06 models.
I believe of the 4 only the ES-46 had a IR blaster. I know the 15 and 25 do NOT have a blaster. They all have Panasonics 500 line LP(4hr) speed, that feature started in '05.

The only issues I've had with my (1) ES-25 and (3) ES-15's is the occasional spindle cleaning. Others may have reported premature power supply capacitor failure or the dreaded u99 which many times spells the end to the unit. The DVD drive is too expensive to fix($130 with Panasonics flat rate repair).

For $100 I don't think you could go wrong, the spindle cleaning is quite easy and the U99 might be a concern but again I've never had it with my (4) units of the same year(OK 5 if you count my EH-55 HDD model).

Oh the ES-25 will record to DL discs but it's not very handy. You have to physically close the first layer before you can record to the second. You cannot do this for timer or live recordings without missing where you change layers.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The ES-25 is a fine DVDR. I have one I purchased new a few years back for $180. It's very similar to the ES-15 but adds HDMI upconversion . . . They make great dubbing machines or you can feed them with a digital converter box. They could also record analog cable but analog just doesn't show there great recording ability. . .

Today I found a DMR-ES25 offered on our local Craig's List by a young family that primarily used the ES25 to play DVDs through the HDMI connection. They had just purchased a Blu Ray player so they no longer had a use for this ES25.

The power cable was plugged in, I powered on the ES25 and listened to the sounds from the DVD Drive. I inserted a Panasonic recorded disc and pressed PLAY. All sounded normal.

I purchased this ES25, brought it home and set it up. In Service Mode I found that the laser use time (playing and recording) was 1338 hours and the DVD Drive itself was manufactured on 12/24/2006.

I powered off the machine and disconnected the power cord. I removed the case lid and blew out what little dust there was. I removed the DVD Drive lid, blew out the disc tray and roller/slider dust, gently cleaned the lens and cleaned the dusty rubber hub, the spindle area and DVD Drive lid guide wheel.

I took several photos and have attached five of them. (The AVS Forum limits attachments to five per post.) The first two photos show front and rear views of the ES25 with the remote and manual. The third and fourth photos show ES25 distinctives--the HDMI PCB and ribbon cable attachment to the Digital PCB and the SD Card PCB. The fifth photo shows the DVD Drive's dirty rubber hub just before it was cleaned.

I refitted the DVD Drive lid and the ES25 case lid and reattached the power cord. After resetting the clock I played a Panasonic-recorded disc (from October 2005).

This DMR-ES25, my first, appears to be in very good condition.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 11-08-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Nice find Digado, of my HDD less Pannys my ES-25 is probably my favorite. Not that I don't like my collection of ES-30v's but like the ES-15 the ES-25 is light and quite compact, the ES-30v in comparison is like a tank and has a rather large foot print.
Personally I've never done anything with the SD slot (can't write and I don't think read video from it) but I do use the HDMI output all the time, probably has the best picture quality ouput of any of my Pannys(or tied with the EH-55 which is very similar to the ES-25 but adds a HDD and TVGOS guide).
Of course the downfall of this type of Panny has to be the U66 or U99 errors (can't remember) which luckily never had on any of my 3 ES-15s or 1 ES-25. I too would probably keep my eye open for a Craigslist or Pawnshop ES-25, if nothing else but to replace one of my aging ES-15s.
If you hook your ES-25 up to a TV that has HDMI control(or as the ES-25 calls it, HDAVI control) you'll find out it works quite nicely.
I'll link this post, with it's nice photos to my Sig thread.