My DVD Recorder Won't Start - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this topic's been discussed in one form or another, but I was just wondering if anyone knows what to do about an ailing Sony RDR-GX330. We recently had an electrical outage here in town and once the power came back, the DVD recorder just suddenly went "frozen" on the Welcome screen.

It practically hangs there without much progress. So far, nothing seems to work... even unplugging the console doesn't help much. I think the only thing that's running is the interior cooling fan. Any possible suggestions to get it back up and running properly? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 09:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Generally, devices like our DVDRs that have a Standby circuit *can* lose their startup setting after a power outage. Usually, unplugging for a few sec restores that circuit, but since you said you did that, dunno!? Maybe keep unplugged long enough to drain it's backup power?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfx View Post

I was just wondering if anyone knows what to do about an ailing Sony RDR-GX330. We recently had an electrical outage here in town and once the power came back, the DVD recorder just suddenly went "frozen" on the Welcome screen.

It practically hangs there without much progress. So far, nothing seems to work... even unplugging the console doesn't help much. I think the only thing that's running is the interior cooling fan.

Did you have it plugged into a good surge supressor? If not, when the power came back on you may have nailed a logic board with a fatal spike.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Did you have it plugged into a good surge supressor? If not, when the power came back on you may have nailed a logic board with a fatal spike.

I'm just hoping that's not the case. Took note of every little precaution I could at the time of the outage. Perhaps I waited too long to turn the surge supressor back on. We'll find out soon enough.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
This is a long shot, but the 330 has sort of an odd "rebooting" sequence you have to follow precisely or it won't clear its corrupted memory correctly. Did you follow the instructions in the manual exactly? You first have to press and hold the standby/power button for ten seconds, at which point the welcome should appear, then let go of the button. Turn it off again and wait for the clock to reappear (instead of welcome). Then unplug the power cord and leave it unplugged for 24-48 hours before plugging back in. If that doesn't solve your problem, the unit is most likely hosed.

I know this is annoying, because money is tight for everyone these days, but you also have to factor in that the 330 is a Spring 2006 model. Post-2005 "affordable" DVD-only machines tend to just go "phffft" within 24 months of purchase, its unrealistic to expect more durability from them. It may have been on its way out and the power surge pushed it over the edge. These units are disposable after the warranty expires, a repair would cost nearly as much as a new recorder. Nowadays the only units left with even minimal solidity are the Panasonics, buy one soon before next years models hit the shelves in a month or two. Look for the EZ-18, 28 or 38, try online for Panasonic-refurbished units at attractive prices. The new Panny model numbers will end in "9" and might very well be of the same shoddy OEM construction that plagues recent Sony, Toshiba and JVC machines. (If you live in Canada, consider the Sony 780: its really a Pioneer and sturdier than the current USA-market Sonys).
post #6 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like the logical thing to do at this point. I'll give it a try. Of course, it'll be pretty hard to find a proper replacement. This is one of the few good ones out there that provides widescreen flagging. Should probably secure whatever DVDs I hadn't finalized yet, just in case. Thanks, you guys.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I know, its painful, many of us here lament the passing of machines with features we prize. But choices have disappeared and we need to make do with whats available in stores now. The current Sonys are notorious for overzealous copy protection- they refuse to record one out of two programs, which renders them totally useless. If you have a LOT of unfinalized discs, you may need to buy one just for that task, but if you only have a dozen or less, consider using ISObuster and software you may already have on your PC to strip the unfinalized video and recreate proper DVDs. This would free you to skip a replacement Sony and opt for a Panasonic, which is way more durable in the burner and power supply. Panasonics will record in 16:9 to the DVD-RAM discs they are optimized for: a handful of these can be reused endlessly with much less trouble than DVD-R/W media. You would put the DVD-RAM in a PC, copy the video from it, and use software to make a finalized DVD-R with whatever flags or menus you need. Then just erase and recycle the DVD-RAM disc.

Its annoying to do and much less convenient than your 330 was for you, but trust us that current Sonys are a bad bet. If you must have another Sony, be sure to check the instruction manual on-line before buying because features change on every model series: the widescreen recording feature may not work on the newer models via line input, only their ATSC tuner.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page