Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 94 Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

No DVD recorder ever made, regardless of inputs or market-speak in the specs., could record in HD -- none. They all record in 480i/MPEG-2 as per the DVD-Video specification.

I apologize in advance for saying this, BUT...

[Uber-pedantic mode]
My international Panasonics can record in 576i/50, so they do not ALL record only 480i. Still, you need a PAL source, and those are hard to come by here in the U.S. unless you have some PAL DVDs and play them on an appropriate player.
[/Uber-pedantic mode]

Sorry again... Oh, and 576i/50 is NOT high def anyway, so the intent of your statement is still accurate. It is PAL standard def.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I vaguely remember a thread where someone mentioned that the ES10 had excellent filtering capabilities (unlike the ES20) -- that even if not using it directly to record anymore, it might be handy to use to pass through a signal that you want to record on the DVDR. I'm pretty fuzzy on those details -- does anyone remember that feature? It was an unadvertised capability of that particular model or vintage. The ES10 was a pretty inexpensive recorder, but I've been told it's worth hanging on to.

I have a really old E55 boxed up, too (my first Panny) that was put away when it started exhibiting recording problems when it got toward the end of the disc-- (I suspect it was in serious need of a cleaning). At work we have a barely used combo 35 that was quite a nice machine. Trying to hang on to that. Lately at home I've only left my EA38 hooked up, mostly for audio passthrough to headphones and occasionally dubbing to an external recorder (I dont like the dubbing feature). Even tho I'm not using them, it just doesn't feel right to let these older models go , especially when the old stuff was better made and more reliable than the new!
post #93 of 94 Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I vaguely remember a thread where someone mentioned that the ES10 had excellent filtering capabilities (unlike the ES20) -- that even if not using it directly to record anymore, it might be handy to use to pass through a signal that you want to record on the DVDR. I'm pretty fuzzy on those details -- does anyone remember that feature? It was an unadvertised capability of that particular model or vintage. The ES10 was a pretty inexpensive recorder, but I've been told it's worth hanging on to.

I have a really old E55 boxed up, too (my first Panny) that was put away when it started exhibiting recording problems when it got toward the end of the disc-- (I suspect it was in serious need of a cleaning). At work we have a barely used combo 35 that was quite a nice machine. Trying to hang on to that. Lately at home I've only left my EA38 hooked up, mostly for audio passthrough to headphones and occasionally dubbing to an external recorder (I dont like the dubbing feature). Even tho I'm not using them, it just doesn't feel right to let these older models go , especially when the old stuff was better made and more reliable than the new!

The ES 10 didn't have filtering in the style of the grex or sima. It's Line 1 input has some type of filtering that cleans up VHS tape noise when recorded using the composite connection, not s-video. I'm a believer. I recently archived all the Rumpole tapes to DVD and thought the results were excellent. If you are talking passthru, that's all the RF out can do. The ES 10 doesn't output on RF, just it's analog output.
post #94 of 94 Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It's Line 1 input has some type of filtering that cleans up VHS tape noise when recorded using the composite connection, not s-video. I'm a believer.

That was it. Thanks! Brain blip, but I knew I should keep it for some reason! Didn't realize it wouldn't work with an s-video connection, too - I thought "line in' was "line in." Thanks for that tip
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page