Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

No DVD recorder ever made, regardless of inputs or market-speak in the specs., could record in HD -- none. They all record in 480i/MPEG-2 as per the DVD-Video specification.

I apologize in advance for saying this, BUT...

[Uber-pedantic mode]
My international Panasonics can record in 576i/50, so they do not ALL record only 480i. Still, you need a PAL source, and those are hard to come by here in the U.S. unless you have some PAL DVDs and play them on an appropriate player.
[/Uber-pedantic mode]

Sorry again... Oh, and 576i/50 is NOT high def anyway, so the intent of your statement is still accurate. It is PAL standard def.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I vaguely remember a thread where someone mentioned that the ES10 had excellent filtering capabilities (unlike the ES20) -- that even if not using it directly to record anymore, it might be handy to use to pass through a signal that you want to record on the DVDR. I'm pretty fuzzy on those details -- does anyone remember that feature? It was an unadvertised capability of that particular model or vintage. The ES10 was a pretty inexpensive recorder, but I've been told it's worth hanging on to.

I have a really old E55 boxed up, too (my first Panny) that was put away when it started exhibiting recording problems when it got toward the end of the disc-- (I suspect it was in serious need of a cleaning). At work we have a barely used combo 35 that was quite a nice machine. Trying to hang on to that. Lately at home I've only left my EA38 hooked up, mostly for audio passthrough to headphones and occasionally dubbing to an external recorder (I dont like the dubbing feature). Even tho I'm not using them, it just doesn't feel right to let these older models go , especially when the old stuff was better made and more reliable than the new!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire View Post

I vaguely remember a thread where someone mentioned that the ES10 had excellent filtering capabilities (unlike the ES20) -- that even if not using it directly to record anymore, it might be handy to use to pass through a signal that you want to record on the DVDR. I'm pretty fuzzy on those details -- does anyone remember that feature? It was an unadvertised capability of that particular model or vintage. The ES10 was a pretty inexpensive recorder, but I've been told it's worth hanging on to.

I have a really old E55 boxed up, too (my first Panny) that was put away when it started exhibiting recording problems when it got toward the end of the disc-- (I suspect it was in serious need of a cleaning). At work we have a barely used combo 35 that was quite a nice machine. Trying to hang on to that. Lately at home I've only left my EA38 hooked up, mostly for audio passthrough to headphones and occasionally dubbing to an external recorder (I dont like the dubbing feature). Even tho I'm not using them, it just doesn't feel right to let these older models go , especially when the old stuff was better made and more reliable than the new!

The ES 10 didn't have filtering in the style of the grex or sima. It's Line 1 input has some type of filtering that cleans up VHS tape noise when recorded using the composite connection, not s-video. I'm a believer. I recently archived all the Rumpole tapes to DVD and thought the results were excellent. If you are talking passthru, that's all the RF out can do. The ES 10 doesn't output on RF, just it's analog output.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It's Line 1 input has some type of filtering that cleans up VHS tape noise when recorded using the composite connection, not s-video. I'm a believer.

That was it. Thanks! Brain blip, but I knew I should keep it for some reason! Didn't realize it wouldn't work with an s-video connection, too - I thought "line in' was "line in." Thanks for that tip
Old 03-29-2015, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Useful list

It looks like a nice, useful list with some worthwhile links. Thanks for putting this together.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 123
No problem, too bad it's basically been since '08(more than 6 years ago) since Panasonic has introduced a new model for the N. American market and the only new Panasonic model offered in the US is a couple of international grey market models only available at a few sellers.
Panasonic still sells a few DVD and BD recorders in Europe and maybe other parts of the world but even those are quickly dying off, for the most part DVD recorders were a blip in time. Still the old Panasonics seem to soldier on and with the help of member MICKINCT who does Panasonic DVDR repair have the potential to continue to give good service.
My personal favorite Panasonics are the '05 and '06 model year with the '05 EH-50 and '06 EH-55 being my favorite models. Some of the pre '05 models are also good but personally I'd only want models that can record full D1 resolution on speeds longer than SP, if I only used SP or better it wouldn't matter as much.
Link to a thread talking about MICK and his repairs:
PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!!

Last edited by jjeff; 03-29-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi Jeff,

Would like to thank you so much for starting this thread. I have owned two Panny recorders, my current one being the dmr-ea18.

Equipment does not last forever and I am very upset that Panasonic has discontinued making recorders. Even though there are some still on the market, none have the flexible recording feature that makes the DVD recordings stand out by using only the minimum amount of recording space required.

I am not a technical savvy person but a lover of old movies in particular and have accumulated a large collection off TCM, HBO. Using this format, dubbing from HD down converted to 480i via s video and playing back up converted on my 50 inch Sony, two older films, either color or black and whites about 3 1/2 hours is about an 8.5 out of ten compared to the original, older source. Newer, films around two hours are maybe 7.5 out of ten which is not bad, considering its forty cents. Won't do that for classics like Lawrence of Arabia or Star Wars or 007 which I love, but for Roustabout, Royal Wedding and the 1926 Ben Hur, this is more than just acceptable quality. Had a Toshiba which was just a par above VHS in comparison.

So will keep an eye out for those that might still be available even if refurbished should the need come up.

Thanks again from a collector. Flexible recording makes a tremendous difference in acceptable picture quality.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Had not used my Panny E500H recorder in about a year. But at least once a month I would power it up. Just tried this morning & it won't power up. That was my last dvd recorder. So I have a HS2 & E500H now in the closet.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the DMR-EH55S (200GB HDD) and it's been a workhorse since the day I bought it back in April/2008. This is the best model and runs like a Swiss watch! Since inception, we use it as a DVR and recorded/watched/erased tons and tons of contents everyday for years. Also recorded/watched/erased and 'back-up' many DVD-R/W discs at the time. Although not being utilize as much today but it is still plugged in (for its clock) and sitting along with the others in the cabinet.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Also have an older recorder, circa 2005 without upconverversion that recorded great but developed problem occasionally retaining program information (would record two movies, one would not show up in menu prior to finalizing even though time was used up) so it is under the bed. My brother has one with hard drive he no longer needs due to using PC software (we just use tablet in house) and can take that from him so do have an option should mine break down. Will get another player for needed up conversion in playback.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingu808 View Post
Had not used my Panny E500H recorder in about a year. But at least once a month I would power it up. Just tried this morning & it won't power up. That was my last dvd recorder. So I have a HS2 & E500H now in the closet.
If you're interested in having them repaired back to like-new capability, look into the other thread in this subforum regarding Panasonic repairs by Mickinct -- he does outstanding work (from both personal experience on my DMR-E85HS and as reported by many others), responds to private messages promptly or responds in the forum if someone doesn't yet have enough posts to issue PMs, and the costs for his services (certainly by comparison with the execrable service by the sole remaining official shop) are very reasonable.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
If you're interested in having them repaired back to like-new capability, look into the other thread in this subforum regarding Panasonic repairs by Mickinct -- he does outstanding work (from both personal experience on my DMR-E85HS and as reported by many others), responds to private messages promptly or responds in the forum if someone doesn't yet have enough posts to issue PMs, and the costs for his services (certainly by comparison with the execrable service by the sole remaining official shop) are very reasonable.
I been in this forum (Dvd recorders) for over 10 years. I know the great work that Mickinct does repairing Panny dvd recorders. Not sure if it is worth the cost of having to ship back & forth to Mickinct. It will cost a pretty penny since I live in HI. Plus the cost of repair what ever that maybe.

The E500h is 10 years old in June this year. This use to be my work horse Dvd recorder. I had purchased 2 extended warranty's from Panasonic the first 5 years I had it. After the unit was 5 years old would not let me buy another extended warranty.

The past few years I was only recording 2 daily Korean dramas to the HD of the E550H. Editing the 5 episodes for each drama & high speed burn to Dvd-r. I stopped a about a year ago. Now I d/l about 20 different Korean dramas each week. Maybe I should of just unplugged it, instead of having it plugged it in & powering in once a month.

Last edited by Chingu808; 04-30-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:23 PM

Shipping via UPS or FedEx to Connecticut wouldn't be significantly different for someone in Hawaii than shipping to the 'official' repair shop in McAllen, Texas -- since you know of Mickinct's services, that choice becomes a straightforward comparison of shipping rates based upon total package weight with two simple phone calls to the shipper options. If the value of having a functional machine in your recording practices has already become so attenuated, then you're left with little choice but to recycle the equipment somehow (Goodwill or eBay for parts).
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 PM

Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned, just recently purchased the Sony KD 50W800B. The other day decided to use the "cinema" output of my dmr-ea18. Did not get good results when using my older HD CRT, a Sony KD34XBR960, however, the resolution and contrast of recorded discs was indeed subtly improved without false enhancement. Just made a recording from HBO HD and would say the disc is now an 8 instead of 7.5 as previously mentioned. Not bad for the forty cents spent on a blank disc.

Do not use the same monitor picture options and settings for playback of my recordings as I do for pre-recorded DVDs. Obviously, manufactured DVDs are of professional caliber and the stronger output requires a different combination of level settings compared to home recordings. While settings for DVDs were aided by use of a THX Optimizer, those for DVD-Rs required extensive back and forth comparison between the recording and the original source on the DVR.

So my worry about these recordings appearing worse on a bigger screen have been laid to rest.
Old Today, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post
If the value of having a functional machine in your recording practices has already become so attenuated, then you're left with little choice but to recycle the equipment somehow (Goodwill or eBay for parts).
I never had to ship any of the 6 Panny dvd recorders to the mainland. They were always repaired here locally under waranty.

As I said I had stopped recording K-dramas from our local KBFD channel. Although just about a week ago they finally started airing in Hi-def. But if I was going to use them as parts. I would send them to Mickinct on my own dime.