No power down with Dish 722 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got a Dish Network 722, but found that when turned off there was still either a fan or hard drive operating, making noise and generating some heat. This is when it is totally off, not recording either. After a few weeks a had Dish replace that, but the replacement is doing exactly the same thing. If this were my computer I would say the hard drive is not sleeping fully. Any one else experience this, or have any advice? I can live with it so long as it is not going to prematurely kill the 722.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm not familiar with your exact STB but if it's a DVR I believe basically all DVRs record to a live buffer and never shut down. IMO it's a big waste of electricity not to mention HDD life. Of course some people believe leaving a HDD ON all the time is easier on it than having it shut down.
I've read articles that say DVRs are about the biggest vampire in the average home. A vampire is something that draws power even when not in use. Many electronic devices never really turn off, unplugging is your only choice, but not a very good one for DVRs.
The article I read said something like, if we could get rid of all the vampires in the US we could eliminate 3 power plants. Again for some things it's not practical to unplug them. I don't think they were talking about things like clocks but rather things that are turned OFF but really aren't.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
jjeff could well be right about that being normal behavior. As an experiment I pulled the power switch, and while it definitely was off then, when I plugged it back in the 722 had to do the satellite search again to upload the programming, which takes several minutes.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
These time-shifting devices are discussed in more detail in this forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=7&f=42

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_VT View Post

I recently got a Dish Network 722, but found that when turned off there was still either a fan or hard drive operating, making noise and generating some heat. This is when it is totally off, not recording either. After a few weeks a had Dish replace that, but the replacement is doing exactly the same thing. If this were my computer I would say the hard drive is not sleeping fully. Any one else experience this, or have any advice? I can live with it so long as it is not going to prematurely kill the 722.

The Dish VIP722 dvr NEVER shuts off. It only goes to a screen-saver mode when you hit the off button. That's NORMAL operating procedure for a dvr. If it completely shut off, it could never record your shows when you want.

I have owned a VIP622 (slightly older model) for several years, so I know this first hand. When it goes to screen-saver mode, it only saves about 1 watt of power. So, if you want a receiver you can turn completely OFF, you will have to go to a NON dvr model.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page