Magnavox 2160 Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a Magnavox 2160 online from Walmart. It seemed to offer everything I wanted and I hope they have a firmware fix soon.

Questions:

1. Will this unit record music off of my FM tuner to the hard disc? Are there any problems doing so (copy protection, interference, etc.)

2. When recording from digitial TV, will the various problems regarding copy protection signals be solved if the unit is hooked up to a separate digital TV converter box?

3. How hard is it to install a larger hard drive? Will the unit function the same, or must it be reprogrammed after a hard drive swap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEastSider View Post

I just purchased a Magnavox 2160 online from Walmart. It seemed to offer everything I wanted and I hope they have a firmware fix soon.

Questions:

1. Will this unit record music off of my FM tuner to the hard disc? Are there any problems doing so (copy protection, interference, etc.)

No problem, just play from a DVD/CD player or other device that has audio outputs as described in this help file and linked post. Those posts describe how to get the music on the HDD (then make a music DVD, which you might not be interested in).

Quote:

2. When recording from digitial TV, will the various problems regarding copy protection signals be solved if the unit is hooked up to a separate digital TV converter box?

Not sure which "digital TV converter box" you mean but if the govt coupon CECB's not sure how that would help. There are "filters" available for stipping CP discussed in many threads here, the latest is here. That should give you some names to search further, like Grex, DP7000, etc.

Quote:

3. How hard is it to install a larger hard drive? Will the unit function the same, or must it be reprogrammed after a hard drive swap?

The 2160 has "SKIP Codes" that do various things, and SKIP 079 is the code for HDD/DVD Self-Check and Initialization, which formats a new replacement or upgraded (up to 500GB) HDD, as described here.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

No problem, just play from a DVD/CD player or other device that has audio outputs as described in this help file and linked post. Those posts describe how to get the music on the HDD (then make a music DVD, which you might not be interested in).[/url]

You can also use a HDD recorder to record audio from YouTube, in a quick-and-dirty manner which gets around creating an .flv file, then having to buy software to convert that to MP3 or .CDA.

I use a minijack-to-RCA cable and plug the jack into the headphone port of my laptop. I connect the RCA side to an s-video input of my Toshiba RD-XS52. I found only input 2 allows me to record the audio to HDD. Then I click on a YouTube link and press record on my remote. I mainly do this with live performances or OTA broadcasts of my favorite performers, where the song was never cut on CD. Of course I can only play back the song on my HDD recorder and TV speakers, unless I convert the file to MP3 or .CDA on my PC. Fortunately with the Toshiba RD-XS series, you can play back and access titles on a DVD-R on your PC.

But if I'm watching TV and want to listen to some music, it's there on my HDD and just a click away. And you won't find it on any commercial CD.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

You can also use a HDD recorder to record audio from YouTube, in a quick-and-dirty manner which gets around creating an .flv file, then having to buy software to convert that to MP3 or .CDA.

I use a minijack-to-RCA cable and plug the jack into the headphone port of my laptop. I connect the RCA side to an s-video input of my Toshiba RD-XS52. I found only input 2 allows me to record the audio to HDD. Then I click on a YouTube link and press record on my remote. I mainly do this with live performances or OTA broadcasts of my favorite performers, where the song was never cut on CD. Of course I can only play back the song on my HDD recorder and TV speakers, unless I convert the file to MP3 or .CDA on my PC. Fortunately with the Toshiba RD-XS series, you can play back and access titles on a DVD-R on your PC.

But if I'm watching TV and want to listen to some music, it's there on my HDD and just a click away. And you won't find it on any commercial CD.

How do you plug a RCA into a S video?

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

The S-Video connector is for video only. He's talking about audio inputs. In order to properly use S-Video, you the S-Video cable, AND RCA L/R cables. He is using the audio input connectors which are part of his S-Video input (S+L+R).

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:

As Church AV Guy mentioned, I am going into the red/white audio inputs next to the s-video socket, from the headphone jack of the laptop.

I have since superceded this (blind) setup by buying at Atlona video scan scaler ($250), which enables me to capture video as well as audio. Essentially anything that I can see on my computer screen can be recorded. 'Course the video image is limited to VGA output (480 dpi ) converted to s-video, so it's not as good as hooking up your laptop via HDMI output to your TV, at 1600x1200 resolution on the laptop. But recording moving images, e.g. YouTube video on the Net, can look surprisingly good on the TV, if the source is high quality 480i uploads.

There's always some person uploading really nice video on YouTube. As I'm an Oppo owner now, I can understand it's a commercial DVD of a live concert performance played back on an Oppo BDP-95, going directly into the component ins of something like a Polaroid 2001G, with a Video Filter in between. The result is indistinguishable from the original DVD. This stuff uploaded on YouTube can look really nice! Until YouTube pulls the person's account, that is .
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

The S-Video connector is for video only. He's talking about audio inputs. In order to properly use S-Video, you the S-Video cable, AND RCA L/R cables. He is using the audio input connectors which are part of his S-Video input (S+L+R).

Hello Luke thanks I'll connect to the audio and headphone jack then press record on the 515 for sound tracks?
once recorded to the HDD can I high speed dub to a DVD or must a CD be used?
Thanks
STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

As Church AV Guy mentioned, I am going into the red/white audio inputs next to the s-video socket, from the headphone jack of the laptop.

I have since superceded this (blind) setup by buying at Atlona video scan scaler ($250), which enables me to capture video as well as audio. Essentially anything that I can see on my computer screen can be recorded. 'Course the video image is limited to VGA output (480 dpi ) converted to s-video, so it's not as good as hooking up your laptop via HDMI output to your TV, at 1600x1200 resolution on the laptop. But recording moving images, e.g. YouTube video on the Net, can look surprisingly good on the TV, if the source is high quality 480i uploads.

There's always some person uploading really nice video on YouTube. As I'm an Oppo owner now, I can understand it's a commercial DVD of a live concert performance played back on an Oppo BDP-95, going directly into the component ins of something like a Polaroid 2001G, with a Video Filter in between. The result is indistinguishable from the original DVD. This stuff uploaded on YouTube can look really nice! Until YouTube pulls the person's account, that is .

Hello Clevor I have been using my Panasonic DMR eh75V to record audio and video this exact same way I plug the S video cable out of laptop into the front Panny S video then plug the headphone 3.5 from LT into a Yed RCA for the audio then record to either HDD or DVD on the Panny works great,

I've never tryed it on Y tube just streetfire.com

?1.when I use the 515 like this will I have an option to chose where to record either HDD or DVD?

?2.when only recording audio doe's use the same amount of space on HDD or DVD as do the audio and video together do.
Thank you
STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Hello Clevor I have been using my Panasonic DMR eh75V to record audio and video this exact same way I plug the S video cable out of laptop into the front Panny S video then plug the headphone 3.5 from LT into a Yed RCA for the audio then record to either HDD or DVD on the Panny works great,

I've never tryed it on Y tube just streetfire.com

?1.when I use the 515 like this will I have an option to chose where to record either HDD or DVD?

?2.when only recording audio doe's use the same amount of space on HDD or DVD as do the audio and video together do.
Thank you
STB

You have an s-video port on your laptop ??? I can understand a desktop computer with a video card that has an s-video out, but many video cards have problems outputting properly to a TV screen or HDD recorder.

If our HDD recorders had HDMI in, then of course recording in high resolution off a (fairly high end) laptop would be pretty straightforward .

If you record audio it's just a black (blank) recording with the sound. If the music is 5 minutes, then it takes up 5 minutes of space on the HDD like video. I suppose you can record at LP or something so it doesn't use up so much space . But I never dwelled much there, on just recording audio.

I never record directly to DVD but I suppose it should work on a 515.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
There were a couple of threads a long time ago where someone pointed out that if there was no video signal in, the machine (I can't remember the make/model) didn't bother encoding any video in the recorded title and so the files were audio only, and quite small. This allowed for a very long recording time.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
There were a couple of threads a long time ago where someone pointed out that if there was no video signal in, the machine (I can't remember the make/model) didn't bother encoding any video in the recorded title and so the files were audio only, and quite small. This allowed for a very long recording time.
Long ago and not so long ago. Making audio-only-DVD info is here.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page