Help Panasonic DMR-EZ475 tray won't open - no motor sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Panasonic DMR EZ475 unit for about a year. Today when I tried to open the DVD tray by pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button nothing seems to happen... no motor sound at all. Upon performing a cycle power, the display indicates NODISC. Upon pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button, the display show OPEN but no motor sound and tray still closed. The OPEN status stayed on for about 20 seconds and then return back to NODISC. When repeating the about step, before 20 seconds elapsed, pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button again the display shows CLOSE although nothing happened. By pressing the button again it will show OPEN. I have followed various suggestions on other threads in taking the unit apart opening and closing the tray manually, and cleaning the spindle and lens but the end result is still the same.

Is it possible that the open or the close sensor have failed? I don't really know where the sensors are located. Any suggestions? It seems like the 20 seconds is some timeout period for trying to open or close the tray before going back to the NODISC message. Is it possible the motor has gone bad? Anyone has schematic on the drive?

Thanks in advance on any advise or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HI more than likely the digital board that feed to the drive has failed. i've had that happen to one of my 25 dmr machines, you could send ti me to take a look at it......... send me pm.. mike in ct. PS TRY RESETTING the unit the reset button is on the front of unit, little button on the right

MickinCT
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuser View Post

I have the Panasonic DMR EZ475 unit for about a year. Today when I tried to open the DVD tray by pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button nothing seems to happen... no motor sound at all. Upon performing a cycle power, the display indicates NODISC. Upon pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button, the display show OPEN but no motor sound and tray still closed. The OPEN status stayed on for about 20 seconds and then return back to NODISC. When repeating the about step, before 20 seconds elapsed, pressing the OPEN/CLOSE button again the display shows CLOSE although nothing happened. By pressing the button again it will show OPEN. I have followed various suggestions on other threads in taking the unit apart opening and closing the tray manually, and cleaning the spindle and lens but the end result is still the same.

Is it possible that the open or the close sensor have failed? I don't really know where the sensors are located. Any suggestions? It seems like the 20 seconds is some timeout period for trying to open or close the tray before going back to the NODISC message. Is it possible the motor has gone bad? Anyone has schematic on the drive?

Thanks in advance on any advise or suggestions?

It is Panasonic's position that DVD Drive and Digital PCBs can not be serviced in the field, the only remedy is replacement, therefore Panasonic service manuals have little or no service information nor do they provide schematics for these parts. Expanded views of a number of DVD Drive parts/mechanisms are also missing from Panasonic service manuals.

I agree with mickinct that the Digital PCB may be the problem. Another problem may be with the DVD Drive on-board controller board seen at the left in the first photo. If there has been some disturbance to the DVD Drive or ribbon cables I suggest checking the disc tray open/close mechanism ribbon cable connection to the on-board contoller board. That ribbon cable is seen toward the top in the first photo. The open/close mechanism is seen at the right in that photo.

The ribbon cable seen at the bottom left of the on-board controller board in the first photo is seen connected to the Digital PCB toward the lower left in the second photo.

The Digital PCB is mounted under the DVD Drive (on the same platform) in a DMR-EZ475. The Digital PCB version in the second photo is seen mounted beside the DVD Drive in a DMR-EZ17 model.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
YES,digado is correct the controller board is the probable cause,I recall changing one in one of the ez47 I have, So far so good.

MickinCT
post #5 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Photo #2, the dreaded LSI chip
post #6 of 7 Old 06-06-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I checked all the flex cables and had the unit unplugged overnight, and just tried the reset button, but it still has the same problem.

Does anyone know where I can get a controller board to try?

I forgot to mention in the original posting that both the tuner and VHS player are still functioning fine. Only the DVD is not working. Could this still be the controller board?

Thanks for all the responses !!
post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dsuser,

In my earlier post I overlooked the obvious. Check the DVD Drive wired power cable to its connector on the side of the DVD Drive near the ribbon cable from the Digital PCB, see the attached photo. If the power cable has become disconnected the DVD Drive will not function.

If a disconnected power cable is not the problem try a "forced disc eject." With the machine powered off press the machine's front panel STOP and CH UP buttons simultaneously for five seconds. This will demonstrate if the controller board and the motor operating the open/close mechanism are functional. If the controller board is defective the DVD Drive may not function.

According to the Service Manual some DVD Drive problems fall into these categories:

1. "When drive unit error is detected, the event is saved in memory" as a F58, but there is no indication of the error on the TV screen or the machine's display.

2. When the drive detects a "hard error" the TV screen shows "DVD drive error" and the machine's display will show "HArd Err" for five seconds.

I can not elaborate on what, specifically, differentiates these errors.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page