HDCP "Handshake" Problem and Solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I got a new Panasonic plasma TV with HDMI inputs (Panasonic Viera TC-P42X1 42 in. 720p Plasma HDTV), I attached my Panasonic E67 HDD DVD recorder to the Scientific Atlanta set top box via S-video connection. I used the HDMI output from the STB to connect the box to the TV. At first, there seemed to be no problem recording the video on the HDD of the DVD recorder. But when I left the recorder on (with the TV off) for several hours I ran into major problems.

After about 50 minutes, the recorded video would display on a partial gold background the message:

G5511 HDCP_DLG
Your TV does not allow display of this program through the DVI input source. Please choose another TV input source.
Con la fuente . . . (and so on in Spanish translation)
---
From minimal postings on the Internet, I determined that I had a “handshake” problem between the TV and the STB. The Time Warner Cable box’s solutionto this problem was to go into defensive mode, to first cut off the video after about 50 minutes, then later the audio. At first I thought the problem was the result of a commercial with an ant-copy flag shutting down the box’s signal. That wasn’t the situation in my case.

After replacing the box and still having the same problem, by trial and error, I found the solution. Once I removed the HDMI inputs from my TV, leaving just the S-video and RCA audio jacks in, the problem ceased. The Scientific Atlanta box seems to be designed to eventually shut off its signal if it cannot make a satisfactory handshake with any device it is connected to, as long as it is outputting an HDMI signal. Even though I was making permitted recordings using the analog signal, the designers of the Scientific Atlanta box put in a shut off control when there was a questionable device (my overseas model of a Panasonic DVD recorder) connected to the box while the box was also feeding an HDMI signal out.

So you pay your money for cable service and you get a box with an intentional design defect built in. I think the box “assumed” that because there was a handshake problem and there was an HDMI connection, illegal copying must be going on. How the FCC allowed this box to get on the market is a real question. But then, today Bernie Madoff is scheduled for sentencing for his Ponzi scheme, which went on for too long thanks to the incompetence of another government alphabet agency, the SEC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Years ago I had a similar problem ,with the S video output of my SA box from Brighthouse. Could not record to VCR, and was told to use RF cable, it was designed that way. I quickly switched to Direct TV and never looked back. Archiving on D VHS and DVD recorder what I want , when I want to do it ,from their HD DVR, in 16 x 9. Of course except Pay per view. Have never looked back.

Cheers
post #3 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

. . . I determined that I had a handshake problem between the TV and the STB. The Time Warner Cable box's solutionto this problem was to go into defensive mode, to first cut off the video after about 50 minutes, then later the audio.

After replacing the box and still having the same problem, by trial and error, I found the solution. Once I removed the HDMI inputs from my TV, leaving just the S-video and RCA audio jacks in, the problem ceased. The Scientific Atlanta box seems to be designed to eventually shut off its signal if it cannot make a satisfactory handshake with any device it is connected to, as long as it is outputting an HDMI signal . . .

So you pay your money for cable service and you get a box with an intentional design defect built in. I think the box assumed that because there was a handshake problem and there was an HDMI connection, illegal copying must be going on . . .

In our area we have Comcast Cable that uses Motorola STBs so I'm not familiar with the Scientific Atlanta boxes.

On several occasions I've observed Comcast installers setting up Motorola STBs. These installers shield from view how they access the configuration procedures available through the standard Comcast remote. It's easier to catch glimpses of the configuration screen where various features and options are enabled/disabled.

If Scientific Atlanta boxes are anything like Motorola boxes perhaps another resolution for such problems may be found through discreet inquiry with a sympathetic installer from Time Warner.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

After about 50 minutes, the recorded video would display on a partial gold background the message:

G5511 HDCP_DLG
Your TV does not allow display of this program through the DVI input source. Please choose another TV input source.

I get this same message on my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD box from Time Warner. It doesn't pop up after 50 minutes, as you describe, but I may have some useful information for you.

I can avoid the message entirely by disconnecting my HDMI / DVI cable when I want to record a program through the box. I can also leave this cable connected and I won't get the message as long as I do the following:
  1. Leave the TV OFF during the recording.
  2. Leave the TV ON during the recording.
If the TV is OFF and I turn it ON after recording starts, the cable box will display the TV info banner at the bottom of the screen. This becomes a permanent part of your recording, so you probably want to avoid that. You may be able to disable the info banner completely in your settings on the cable box.

If the TV is ON and I turn it OFF after recording starts, the cable box will display the "Your TV does not allow display of this program through the DVI input source. Please choose another TV input source." message which completely ruins the recording.

Could it be that you had your TV on when you started recording, then turned it off after 50 minutes? For your sake, I hope so. Having a built-in 50 minute timer would clearly be a hostile move by the cable company to monopolize recording. I don't put it past them.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Even when I had my TV on, this problem occurred. I read one posting that said that Comcast told a customer to first turn his TV on, then the box. That did not work for me. Besides that, when I played TCM using the HDMI input, sometimes the signal went bad. If I want to play a DVD using the HDMI connection, I will just attach the HDMI connector again, easy enough.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post

Years ago I had a similar problem ,with the S video output of my SA box from Brighthouse. Could not record to VCR, and was told to use RF cable, it was designed that way. I quickly switched to Direct TV and never looked back. Archiving on D VHS and DVD recorder what I want , when I want to do it ,from their HD DVR, in 16 x 9. Of course except Pay per view. Have never looked back.

Same here! What's the sense of having an HDTV if you can't use the high def output on your cable box? (when you also want to record to DVD) Switching from Cablevision to Direct TV not only eliminated this error, but the stupid letterboxing of widescreen content via the analog outputs.

Patrick
post #7 of 7 Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Liked: 42
This extender/booster didn't work to solve my handshake issue. Made it much worse, actually.

http://www.wayfair.com/Comprehensive-HDMI-Booster-Female-to-Male-pigtail-CRP-HD110-CH2219.html?init=1

And Wayfair doesn't accept returns of their defective items.

Just keep talkin'. I'll let you know when you're right.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page