DVD recorder advice needed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been scouring this forum and appreciate the great information! My dilema is that I am half way through transferring 20 years worth of home video from a 8mm camcorder to dvds. My Panasonic DMR-ES30V goes to an error message while I am dubbing all of a sudden. I called Panasonic and we tried to re-set it but it is still doing it. They offered to take it and send me a reconditioned one for $140. I decided to buy a new one but am overwhelmed with researching it. Can anyone suggest a DVD recorder that would be good for this project. I can't find the Philips 3575 that has been recommended. Thanks for any help with this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Does the error message appear each time you're dubbing from the 8mm camcorder-are you using the camcorder for playback to the es30, or are you connecting a vcr to it? Does the error also occur when you record a program to a dvd-r disc?

The Magnavox H2160-a virtual twin of the Phillips 3575/3576, has been available from an online merchant called J&R, refurblished, for $169.00, but they're out of stock at the moment. A new shipment is supposed to be on the way. If you can wait, I'd try and get a hold of one of these, the reviews from users here have been good. There's another Magnavox there, also refurblished, but with a smaller hard drive..http://www.jr.com/category/video-tv/.../n/4294562852/

Given the current state of dvd recorders (the consensus of board members who've tried multiple models, is that these 2 are the only ones worth their price), if I couldn't get either a Phillips 3576, or the H2160, and didn't need a digital tuner, I'd be tempted to take them up on the exchange for a reconditioned es30. It should come with a 90 day warranty, so if any problems crop up, it can be replaced. But typically, once Panasonic recons/refurbs their machines, they are usually in solid working order.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarolmarie View Post

I've been scouring this forum and appreciate the great information! My dilema is that I am half way through transferring 20 years worth of home video from a 8mm camcorder to dvds. My Panasonic DMR-ES30V goes to an error message while I am dubbing all of a sudden. I called Panasonic and we tried to re-set it but it is still doing it. They offered to take it and send me a reconditioned one for $140. I decided to buy a new one but am overwhelmed with researching it. Can anyone suggest a DVD recorder that would be good for this project. I can't find the Philips 3575 that has been recommended. Thanks for any help with this!

The DMR-ES30V is one of the best machines for dubbing/copying video. I own two of this model. My daughter also owns two of this model. Perhaps all your ES30 needs is a DVD Drive lens and rubber hub cleaning. Just last week I performed this routine servicing on my daughter's original ES30. 2005 and older models may require removal of the machine's front panel before the DVD Drive lid may be removed. Removal of the front panel is not necessary with 2006 or newer models. Detailed information for the lens and hub/spindle cleaning procedure is found in this and the following posts:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

If you opt for the Panasonic exchange program be sure you get another 2005 DMR-ES30V or any of these 2006 models, DMR-ES35V, DMR-ES45V, DMR-ES46V. Do not accept the inferior 2005 model DMR-ES40V, or any EZ series combo recorders, i.e. DMR-EZ37V, DMR-EZ47V, DMR-EZ475V, DMR-EZ48V or DMR-EZ485V. The EZ series models have digital tuners and numerous bugs and design flaws that a DMR-ES30V owner will find unacceptable.

The Philips 3575 (from 2007) and 3576 (from 2008) are no longer current models. The Magnavox 2160 is the current model. I own six Philips or Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders. With these models it is easy to transfer video to hard drive, edit the material (if you wish) and then high-speed dub to DVD. See Wajo's sticky thread for a wealth of information concerning these models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

Here and in the next post are a few photos taken during the cleaning of my daughter's DMR-ES30V:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

The last cleaning of my daughter's DMR-ES30V was on 8/28/2008. I usually suggest cleaning DVD Drives at six to eight month intervals, more frequently with heavy use or in warm, dust or smoke filled environments or where discs are handled with a finger through the center hole.

Here are more of the DMR-ES30V DVD Drive lens and rubber hub and spindle cleaning photos:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #5 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
What is the error code and does it cause your machine to go into self check? If so it's probably a dirty spindle as Digado said. Also as Digado said the ES-30v is one of the best combos Panasonic made, if it's not the spindle and you can't fix it only accept the models he mentioned. The newer EZ series have nothing on the ES-30v (other than the rather buggy digital tuner, upconverting and ability to record to DL discs) and IMO the ES-30v has a much better build quality, it just needs a bit of periodic maintenance like all Pannys.
If you go through the Panasonic route (sending it in for a swap out) please let us know what they offered you and how it worked out. Personally I'm thinking they'll only offer you the current buggy EZ-48 which I definitely wouldn't take. If you don't need the VHS part I'd just get the Maggy 2160 from JR, it's so much easier to work on a HDD than direct to DVD burning anyway.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys are amazing! Yes, the error code is SLF CHECK. This only happens when I am recording or editing. It never happens when just playing DVD's. After trying the entire re-set process, I've been discouraged. Could this really be a simple fix that someone like me could fix?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Yes, if you mainly get the error code when doing things like editing(changing thumbnails, adding titles etc.) it sounds like it just needs to have the spindle cleaned. Digado has some good posts including photos, on how to clean the spindle.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmascarolmarie View Post

You guys are amazing! Yes, the error code is SLF CHECK. This only happens when I am recording or editing. It never happens when just playing DVD's. After trying the entire re-set process, I've been discouraged. Could this really be a simple fix that someone like me could fix?

If a dirty lens prevents reading of a disc there may be a "NO READ" situation. The remedy is cleaning the lens. A "NO READ" situation may also be caused by slippage of a disc on a dirty rubber hub during read, write and finalizing operations. The remedy is cleaning the rubber hub and spindle.

These problems may, in turn, prompt a "SLF CHECK" situation.

Various DVD Drive noises help isolate the problem(s). "Grinding" noises usually indicates a dirty rubber hub. "Clunking," "chugging" or "errrp" noises usually indicate a dirty lens or failed laser assembly. Again, the first remedial measure is the lens and rubber hub/spindle cleaning.

If SLF CHECK does not clear the DMR-ES30V Service Manual indicates that there is a problem with the RAM (DVD) Drive and/or the Digital PCB. It is Panasonic's position that these may not be serviced in the field but require replacement.

If purchased individually from the Panasonic National Parts Center here are the current prices for some of these parts:

RAM (DVD) Drive VXY1867 $355.91
RAM (DVD) Drive PCB $63.32
Digital PCB $109.09 or $306.19 (it's difficult to identify which board is the actual Digital PCB.)

That's what the parts cost through a local repair shop or if purchased by the public.

Panasonic offers a $130 flat-rate repair through the Panasonic Digital Service Center in Elk Grove Village Illinois. This $130 flat-rate repair includes all the parts and labor to return a Panasonic to new functional condition. The flat-rate also includes return shipping from Elk Grove Village. More detail is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

I am attaching a couple of earlier photos of my first DMR-ES30V, purchased new at WalMart for $220 on 9/2/2005. Since then this ES30 has accumulated more than 4,400 recording hours. It was fully functional at last use.
LL
LL

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page